The "Back in the Day" thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "Back in the Day" thread
    Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by twolf123

i'd still like to know what happened to mike though or if he still participates around here...entirely out of general curiosity...

Mike is helping Doug with Thrive Snowboards.

He also runs brandretailers.com
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 3:37pm
Does Doug not do TS anymore? Just checked out Thrive and its pretty sweet...just like TS haha.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by mluu003

Does Doug not do TS anymore? Just checked out Thrive and its pretty sweet...just like TS haha.

Nope, he's running Thrive, engineering the boards and stuff. And yea, it's pretty similar, the guy that coded this site is the same one thats coding for thrive now.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by mluu003

Yes, check out Thrive and use this link to create your Thrive account:

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 5:10pm
Ah, i miss the days where we all talked about industry repercussions of massive online retailers. :(

I still remember just before the bomb dropped (the bomb being 40% off in february rising to 50% off when the burton saga occured), there was this really good discussion on the forums somewhere about the role of local stores in the new reality of online megastores. 

I honestly feel the time is coming for a whole big fun discussion again on what a healthy industry means versus value for the consumer and getting people out onto the hills in the first place. 

m00m
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 8:56pm
did i just bring up a hell of an archaeological dig and the potential for a new and serious forum thread that's full of "insiders"?Smile
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 11:38am
Originally posted by ippollite

Ah, i miss the days where we all talked about industry repercussions of massive online retailers. :(

I still remember just before the bomb dropped (the bomb being 40% off in february rising to 50% off when the burton saga occured), there was this really good discussion on the forums somewhere about the role of local stores in the new reality of online megastores. 

I honestly feel the time is coming for a whole big fun discussion again on what a healthy industry means versus value for the consumer and getting people out onto the hills in the first place. 

Thanks Ipp apparently I feel compelled to be involved.  Let's ride pow someday

-b
get bent
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 5:40pm

Massive online/stripmall megastores have destroyed a big chunk of small/local businesses in more industries than I can list. This will only get worse as our economy stagnates or declines.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by julius77

Massive online/stripmall megastores have destroyed a big chunk of small/local businesses in more industries than I can list. This will only get worse as our economy stagnates or declines.
this ^

the snowboard industry is no different, it just hasn't quite gotten to the level of walmart.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 7:44pm
This is certainly a reality of megastores. But this is also a reality of a modern economy. Nostalgia for the post office, baker shop and the haberdashery isnt part of this discussion. We can all claim we want to go to a time when main street was the real center of town and we'd pop to 9 different shops for our stuff. But we voted with our wallets. Its done. Theres reasons, very clear material reasons we chose this way of buying our shit. So this feeling that they bring nothing but misery wherever they go is little more than nostalgia for an age that likely few people on this forum were alive to even see (and wouldnt go back to). 

So to get back to it. The question wasnt should we go back in time to small stores and not shop at mega markets? The question was GIVEN THE EXISTENCE of these things, how can the argument be made for the small B+M store and its role in the OVERRIDING industry? 

Maybe that question doesnt quite pinpoint things enough to bring out discussion. Let me elaborate a bit. 

Truthfully i think the case made by those in support of the local industry is made very poorly. Arrogantly even. Its often made by people living on hills or in resort towns and its little more than THOU SHALT NOT hectoring.

Instead itd be nice to see explanations of how its all connecting and how its all working in the interest of the consumers self interest (the reason we have mega malls after all), through extra product lines; extra space devoted to smaller niche labels in store; more money on promotion and sponsorship to bring the next generation into the sport; cheaper operational costs; tougher quality control; (blind eye) warrantying; more amenities on the hill; more shops etc etc. In addition, you get one person on that hill and you have more money going into your mountain town through accommodation, parking, rentals; lift prices; food; tourist crap and of course spending at the local BM store. 

It seems like the whole discussion is arse over tit. Instead of focusing on getting people onto the hill and into the local economy and thus sustaining the local shop, theyre told that they buy local or destroy the industry. Thats not really an argument. Its the conclusion to an argument. The actual argument bit (the reasons) are completely skated over. 

Id like to see it made to be honest. Not because i disagree with it, but because id like MORE information about the industry to come to the layman.

Id also like to see how these online retailers are outside of "the industry" and destroying it when as it seems to me, they get people on that hill and into your local economy in a much simpler, efficient and cheaper means than a local store with all its ancillary bullshit. 

Its not all black and white with simple straightforward answers. Massive etailers brought access to gear in a way that many of us just didnt have. Owning that gear means first, you want to use it. And second the idea of getting in your car and driving to your mountain is a massively easier choice for something to do on a random winter weekend. On top of this, its like a permanent billboard sitting in your house as well reminding you how awesome it is to just get on your deck and ride :) On the flip etailers have driven a lot of small companies out of business. And massive manufacturing operations (part of teh exact same problem, but one that seems to get a pass) have also killed a lot of start ups that simply cannot compete on price and tech against massive monoliths who can produce at massive volume on the cheap and so outstrip both economical and technological advantages you might have. 

I dunno, lots of things going on. It feels like there needs to be a less hectoring discussion about this. To various extents, everyone who visits this site has an interest in the health and wellbeing of the industry as a whole. We like to snowboard (or ski), we want to have mountains we can ride. We want to have shops that supply the shit we need when we're there. We want to have a choice of restaurants and a selection of hotels for varied budgets. We might even want to drop cash on a full set up!  

We want the moon on a stick of course, but the point is that those people who just want a cheap setup, arent some kind of leach or pariah on the industry. They contribute to it and they buy shit from your mates store and your other mates restaurant because they want to ride. They are part of the growth and health of the industry. They dont just buy their gear to look at in the house. They use it. This should be a huge and interesting discussion that is industry wide, but all too often it stops right at the point of where you bought your gear and why that means youre a parasite on the industry. 
m00m
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 3:21am
I don't see where the House is offering significantly better deals than my local shops. In fact, the deals locally are often better since the no discount policy has been put in place.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 3:38am
^ As much as I like deals I still like to support the local non-big-box shops.  Two are small family-owned shops, the other is part of the Boyne conglomerate.  There's something to be said for seeing and touching the gear in person versus ordering online (which I do as well) and waiting for it to arrive on your front porch.  Also, walking out of a shop with a new board in hand is pretty cool.
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 3:42am
Originally posted by julius77

Back in the day, I got new cartels from Sierra for under $120.
Ha, I got in on that:

ReturnTracking & AdjustmentsProductsQuantityUnit PriceTotal
Currently not available for return.
Burton Cartel 2009 (Matte Black / L)
1$109.98$109.98
Subtotal$109.98
Order Total$109.98

End of the season used to be like Christmas.  Good things never last.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 8:49am

This is certainly a reality of megastores. But this is also a reality of a modern economy. Nostalgia for the post office, baker shop and the haberdashery isnt part of this discussion. We can all claim we want to go to a time when main street was the real center of town and we'd pop to 9 different shops for our stuff. But we voted with our wallets. Its done. Theres reasons, very clear material reasons we chose this way of buying our shit. So this feeling that they bring nothing but misery wherever they go is little more than nostalgia for an age that likely few people on this forum were alive to even see (and wouldnt go back to). 

So to get back to it. The question wasnt should we go back in time to small stores and not shop at mega markets? The question was GIVEN THE EXISTENCE of these things, how can the argument be made for the small B+M store and its role in the OVERRIDING industry? 

Maybe that question doesnt quite pinpoint things enough to bring out discussion. Let me elaborate a bit. 

Truthfully i think the case made by those in support of the local industry is made very poorly. Arrogantly even. Its often made by people living on hills or in resort towns and its little more than THOU SHALT NOT hectoring.

Instead itd be nice to see explanations of how its all connecting and how its all working in the interest of the consumers self interest (the reason we have mega malls after all), through extra product lines; extra space devoted to smaller niche labels in store; more money on promotion and sponsorship to bring the next generation into the sport; cheaper operational costs; tougher quality control; (blind eye) warrantying; more amenities on the hill; more shops etc etc. In addition, you get one person on that hill and you have more money going into your mountain town through accommodation, parking, rentals; lift prices; food; tourist crap and of course spending at the local BM store. 

It seems like the whole discussion is arse over tit. Instead of focusing on getting people onto the hill and into the local economy and thus sustaining the local shop, theyre told that they buy local or destroy the industry. Thats not really an argument. Its the conclusion to an argument. The actual argument bit (the reasons) are completely skated over. 

Id like to see it made to be honest. Not because i disagree with it, but because id like MORE information about the industry to come to the layman.

Id also like to see how these online retailers are outside of "the industry" and destroying it when as it seems to me, they get people on that hill and into your local economy in a much simpler, efficient and cheaper means than a local store with all its ancillary bullshit. 

Its not all black and white with simple straightforward answers. Massive etailers brought access to gear in a way that many of us just didnt have. Owning that gear means first, you want to use it. And second the idea of getting in your car and driving to your mountain is a massively easier choice for something to do on a random winter weekend. On top of this, its like a permanent billboard sitting in your house as well reminding you how awesome it is to just get on your deck and ride :) On the flip etailers have driven a lot of small companies out of business. And massive manufacturing operations (part of teh exact same problem, but one that seems to get a pass) have also killed a lot of start ups that simply cannot compete on price and tech against massive monoliths who can produce at massive volume on the cheap and so outstrip both economical and technological advantages you might have. 

I dunno, lots of things going on. It feels like there needs to be a less hectoring discussion about this. To various extents, everyone who visits this site has an interest in the health and wellbeing of the industry as a whole. We like to snowboard (or ski), we want to have mountains we can ride. We want to have shops that supply the shit we need when we're there. We want to have a choice of restaurants and a selection of hotels for varied budgets. We might even want to drop cash on a full set up!  

We want the moon on a stick of course, but the point is that those people who just want a cheap setup, arent some kind of leach or pariah on the industry. They contribute to it and they buy shit from your mates store and your other mates restaurant because they want to ride. They are part of the growth and health of the industry. They dont just buy their gear to look at in the house. They use it. This should be a huge and interesting discussion that is industry wide, but all too often it stops right at the point of where you bought your gear and why that means youre a parasite on the industry. 

Thoughts kids?

-b
get bent
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 8:56am
This is my face after reading Ippy's post:

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 9:21am
Yeah yeah, I guess.  But this is one of those things I think about all the time (especially since the Sierra implosion) and I think it's a fascinating discussion.  Kind of a combination of the local food movement and the "what does it mean to be a snowboarder" question. 

-b
get bent
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 9:36am
Ahhhh it's been a while since we broke out the insert something new here is killing the snowboard industry convo..the season must be starting soon. 
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 10:25am
Originally posted by giftedhands

Ahhhh it's been a while since we broke out the Shetland Ponies are killing the snowboard industry convo..the season must be starting soon. 

Fixed.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 11:45am
Frankly, I don't like shetland ponies either.  They're mean.  And they bite.  So there

-b
get bent
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 11:50am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

Frankly, I don't like shetland ponies either.  They're mean.  And they bite.  So there

-b

How dare you... Shetland Ponies are what America was founded on. They are magnificent creatures with their heavy coats and short legs. I heard that Christopher Columbus rode a Shetland Pony back across the ocean to return to his homeland.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by letourneau41

-b

How dare you... Shetland Ponies are what America was founded on. They are magnificent creatures with their heavy coats and short legs. I heard that Christopher Columbus rode a Shetland Pony back across the ocean to return to his homeland.

Speaking of, did all of you realize it was Columbus day yesterday?  Yea, me either.  Crazy how that went from being such a big thing when I was younger to an afterthought now.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
SirGounder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SirGounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 1:16pm
Back in 2010 I scored a pair of Flow M9's for $80 and Gravis shoes for $10.  It was epic though I did feel bad.  It just seemed like too good of a deal.  Sticker packs for $1 were fun too.

Even though the days of those prices are long gone, there's still some decent deals to be had. 
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 1:18pm
^^^ they actually still sell the gravis shoes on here for less than the avg monthly wage of a Foxconn worker, if you're interested.  I have about 10 pair or so. 

-b
get bent
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 1:22pm
I'm still scratching my head, I would have thought this thread would be about the fun times of the past on ss....not how cheap you got something and how the industry is blah blah.

bp's and party flips...

JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Online Status: Online
  Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by CoMtnRider

-b

Speaking of, did all of you realize it was Columbus day yesterday?  Yea, me either.  Crazy how that went from being such a big thing when I was younger to an afterthought now.
I knew it was Columbus day because I got it off.  /gov agency jobs rule!

\ now back to your regularly scheduled postings
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by JDiggidy

Originally posted by CoMtnRider

-b

I knew it was Columbus day because I got it off.  /gov agency jobs rule!

\ now back to your regularly scheduled postings

Yeah but did you celebrate your day off for Columbus day the way you are suppose to? By riding a Shetland Pony? That's why they give you the day off in the first place.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 2:11pm
^^^ I think that federal employees aren't allowed to play that way anymore, too much potential liability surrounding the pony bites

-b
get bent
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Online Status: Online
  Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 2:25pm
Us state guys can handle a pony bite or two....

but it's not like it was back in the day, when a guy could bite the pony back.  You know, when men were men.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 2:33pm

Thoughts kids?
 -b

longwinded, rambling, unfocused, and could seriously do with an editor. 

I wish i had a shetland pony story to share. We once had a bunch of shire horses visit our school... Actually now i think about it, the harlem globetrotters once visited our school.
m00m
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12