new to snowboarding

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lands View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to snowboarding
    Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 2:41pm
G'day to all
I have a few Questions.
1. is it easier to board on the groomed runs or in powder?
2. I'm trying to find out more about Sierra snowboards. as i have not heard much about the brand. if I could get some info back this would be great.
AndreasWiings View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AndreasWiings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 2:48pm
It is easier in the sense that you won't have to try and balance as much. While going through powder makes for a smooth ride, you also have to focus more on controlling your board. Think of it as groomed runs give you a little more grip. imo though, powder gives an awesome riding experience and if you fall, it won't hurt so much!
lands View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote lands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 2:54pm
thanks
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 5:32pm

Yes powder hurts less when you fall, but if it's deep powder you might get stuck. It's a real pain in the neck to get unstuck in 3ft or more of powder. Just try your best to judge your speed accordingly.

And Sierra boards are awesome. You get a really badass board for much less than other similar boards. Sierra boards are made by major manufacturers, just rebranded and dressed differently.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 7:57pm
Groomed runs are easier to initially learn on. To get the fundamental movements, turning and carving down. After you get that down it's "easier" to board in powder if you're looking at the steepness of the slope. And a ton more fun but that's debatable. 
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 8:04pm
The sierra crew, reverse crew, bluebird and stunt are all made by burton. The team was made by flow.

The stunt is a '10 burton blunt, the crew is a '10 burton custom and the reverse crew is a '10 burton custom v rocker with process shape(I believe it was '10, possibly '09). The bluebird is an '09 or '10 burton guru. The team is a flow team.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 9:07pm
New to snowboarding or not, I love Sierra boards! I ride the Reverse Crew and I'm not new to snowboarding. I also see a lot of Sierra boards around when I board.

It's also much easier to learn to ride on groomed trails since it will be flat. But it is also less forgiving. I guess when you know the basics and fundamentals, powered trails will be more rewarding.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 9:12pm
Id have to agree with most and say groom is MUCH easier to learn on since you dont have to fight the snow in powder situations.
And has far has sierra boards, ive only heard good things about them and from what i understand they are actually made by burton.
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 9:27pm
you must be going on holiday
there's no powder in NSW LOL

sierra boards are fine, you would see a few floating around perisher/thredbo

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 3:49am
arguably since it is your 1st time, you will probably be doing the squatting all day. If you do that in groomers its good, you'll get a few bruises. In pow you wont be able to move 
jamers99 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jamers99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 7:40am
Groomed runs agreed as well! Take it slow and don't focus on bombing the hill. Learn to feel your edges, and practice starting and stopping before anything! You will love it, good luck!
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 9:58am
Well powder is great for reducing butt pain hahaha. groomers are where you really learn to use your edge. its a horse a piece but I would say 9 out of 10 ppl learn on groomers.

As for the sierra brand if you are new to boarding you probably only know Burton.

They are definitely good boards especially with the combo discounts. If I were you I would look at a stunt or RC or just any rocker/anticamber make in general. Its the easiest and quickest way to learn. Thats how I started and you learn to really feel the hill youre riding on and its more flexible for when you wanna get wild in the park
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 10:14am
i'd say it's easier to ride on groomed runs as well. it's just a smoother ride in general. you also don't have to have to worry about your board digging into the snow and getting stuck. it's easier to get an edge in groomed runs so you have better control of the board.

sierra boards were all made by other major snowboard brands, most of which were burton. they are slightly modified versions of the same boards as some one has mentioned earlier. i have been riding the reverse crew for the past couple of seasons and it has been my favorite board so far.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 11:00am
I actually found it easier to learn to carve on pow, but not like a couple feet of pow but like 6 inches of pow is good because it gives enough cushion when you fall and not enough to get stuck.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
jamers99 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jamers99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 12:32pm
Just getting up off your butt as a beginner in pow sounds difficult.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by jamers99

Just getting up off your butt as a beginner in pow sounds difficult.

It certainly can be! I'm a beginner, and last year I mistakenly took a black diamond powder run (the paths Y-ed and i went the wrong way)... the left side was a groomed run and the right side was 3' of fresh fluffy stuff. It surprised me and since im new and didnt wanna wipe out, I instinctively slowed down.. that was a bad idea, as i lost any chance of staying afloat. I struggled for 45 minutes to get down the rest of that run. The posts above suggesting learning to stop and start first.. spot on. If you know how to get goiing (and stop going), youll be a lot more confident in doing the rest of the run. If you wanna practice starting and stopping in powder, i'd suggest working just off the sides of the groomed trails. They're generally not as deep as the dedicated powder runs, but you'll get the same experience.

I am gonna hit that same run again this year.. this time with a lot more speed and a lot less surprise lol.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 6:20pm
powder = fun. 
Nothing has made me less interested in learning to get my technique down more than pow. 
God i love it. Who gives a shit at technique on a pow day? Save that for when youre bored and youve got nothing else to do...

I appreciate this advice might be slightly solipsistic in its universality though. :) 

No studying on pow days... unless youre hiking the back country and you want to understand your slabs :) 

I learned to carve on a nighta. Thats my advice. If you really want to learn your edge hold and fundamentals, go without pads onto a slope that feels ike a sheet of ice. After the first couple of times smashing your knees and hips youll quickly learn to stop shtooking around hold that edge :p

As for question 2, im genuinely amazed you havent found much info on the sierra boards. The sierra boards are to this site what neversummer is to snowboardingforum. 

I wrote it a while back so dunno if its the latest update on all things sierra, but it should cover the basics. 

m00m
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote krisshono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 6:28pm
powder is defiantly easier to learn on, grromers aren't too bad tho either as long as they don't get hard packed and icey, powder will be slower too which will be easier when learning. depends on how deep of powder you are talking. powder in the midwest is any fresh snow haha, compared to waist deep out west. As far as sierra boards they are just burton boards with diffrent graphics. i have a sierra stunt and its a pretty solid board for jibs and groomers, its the same board as a burton blunt.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 6:37pm
One thing that helped me get better quicker was to get off of the green and blue runs.  if you have a nice super steep black run with no moguls, it can really teach you to swing that board around and go edge to edge in a hurry.  That way, you're not fighting gravity, it's actually helping you.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 3:12pm
It's easier to learn on groomed trails. Powder is a totally different animal. Different techniques. But Pow is fun to fall into.
Go at your own pace, lock in the fundamentals linking turns at a slower rate then transition to a faster speed by going on a blue. Learn to be comfortable throwing your body weight (leaning forward) down into the mtn. When you conquer that fear + control your speed, the mtn. is your playground! Good Luck!
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 4:31pm
Like most people said, it's easier to learn how to snowboard on groomed trails. In powder, sometimes you get stuck and won't be able to get out.

I think Sierra Snowboards are made by TruSnow Before , Sierra used to be its own company until it went bankrupt and was taken over by TruSnow.

Does anyone have any info on Sierra? Please correct me if I'm wrong ^.
 Post Reply Post Reply