Do goggle lens color matter-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do goggle lens color matter-
    Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 9:28am
Hey so ill be buying new goggles soon and ive always wondered if the different goggle lens colors actually did anything... ive just never looked into it. Or are they just for looks?
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 9:29am
Oakley G30 lens.  Best lens for every condition I have ever ridden with.  By far my favorite.

<-----Owner of 8 pairs of Oakleys with different lenses.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 9:30am
The color of the lens does matter and it varies by manufacturer.  Oakley has many different colors which allow different percentages of light through.  Check it out for youself:

jnev0803 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jnev0803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 9:31am
different lens tints give better vision in different light conditions.

rose is a good all around lens

yellow or clear is good for night riding

amber is great for sunny days.

every company uses slightly different lens tints. for more information you should check out the website for the goggle brand you are considering they will give you more specific info about the different lenses they offer.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 9:36am
I choose to go with rose/pink for universal use because it beats carrying around a bunch of different lens/goggle.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 9:43am
Lens tints absolutely make a difference.  Though you can get away with using 1 lens every time you ride, I wouldn't suggest it.

Anon's visualizer is here:

and Von Zipper's chart is here at the bottom:
Click on the different lens colors and watch how the Optimal/Moderate/Not Recmd palette changes.

letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 9:43am
Here is a link to Anon's website and it lets you view conditions through each len's color to give you a perspective of what it will look like.

http://www.anonoptics.com/lens-tints/
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 10:04am
Originally posted by letourneau41

Here is a link to Anon's website and it lets you view conditions through each len's color to give you a perspective of what it will look like.

http://www.anonoptics.com/lens-tints/

Fixed.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 10:05am
So as you can see above, do your research.  Especially considering how expensive high end goggles are, and the fact that replacement lenses for most goggles are just as expensive as a brand new pair.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 11:40am
Yeah wow, thanks for the info. Ill definitely look into these links. Most likely will go for the rose if its good for universal use.
I usually do an insane amount of research on just about every other piece of snowboarding gear. Just never found myself looking up lens differences on goggles.
jamers99 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jamers99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 11:46am
I have the rose/pink mirrored lens. It is by far the most universal in my opinion. I had a silver mirrored lens and on cloudy days the snow and the sky just all blended together.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 12:40pm
Yes they do and thanks for reminding me, I need a new lens for my feenoms so I can see at night this season.
misterlime View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote misterlime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 1:04pm
Like the answers above, yes they do. Same with sunglasses for sports. Reds and oranges are great for mt biking, cuts out glare and contrasts really pop. Sucks because sometimes you want the cool mirrored colored ones, but not always the most functional.
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 2:10pm
Well im searching for the rose lenses on here but I cant find any that are actually on a goggle frame I like haha
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 3:26pm
Smith has a similar guide to their lenses. The top coat of lense dye does relatively less than the lower levels of mirroring and base filters/tints.

thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 3:30pm
I dont like tints, are there any goggle lens that don't have any tint except for clear. Maybe something that is mirrored. 
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by thisisjoebro

I dont like tints, are there any goggle lens that don't have any tint except for clear. Maybe something that is mirrored. 

not sure if serious.......Confused
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by thisisjoebro

Not sure if there are mirrored clear lens? I would think the mirror adds a tint to it.

Anyways, to OP here's the this is from the electric website. http://www.electricvisual.com/goggle-technical-information/
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Funinc158 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Funinc158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 4:52pm
Oakley has a mirrored clear lens. Ruby Clear.
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 8:00am
Well Ill mostly be in bright to some what cloudy days from the looks of it i figured out what tints I need. But since we are on the topic.. do all the different goggle frames make any difference or are those just style... or am i wrong again.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 8:06am
thisisjoebro. If you went riding all day on a Sunny day with no tint and only clear lenses you would sunburn your retinas.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 8:06am
Let me beat everyone to the punch:  Go try on the goggles in your local shop.  The frames make a difference in how they fit on your face.  So it's a combination of style and fit.  You want something comfortable that isn't going to pinch your nose.  And you want a big field of view (most people do anyways) but if you wear a helmet make sure the goggles work well with your helmet too.
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 9:07am
Well ya I understand fit and so on.
I was just wondering what the huge price differences are between goggles. Like materials and functionality?
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 9:11am
Hell yes. Mirrors for sunny days and amber or yellow for cloudy day riding. Its pretty nuts the contrast ratio you will notice when you where the correct lens for the correct conditions. Check out SPY Zeds they come with 2 lenses and thats all you will ever need. I own a pair and they are awesome. for the value its worth it
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 9:13am
Generally, different lenses will just allow more/less light through. Wouldn't want a dark, mirrored lens while night riding or a clear lens on bluebird days Ouch
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 9:18am
Originally posted by MathiasM

Well ya I understand fit and so on.
I was just wondering what the huge price differences are between goggles. Like materials and functionality?

You'd need to give an example of 2 goggles for a more detailed response.

Generally though, it's all about optics and visual clarity.  In my experience, the biggest price jump you will find is when going from a Cylindrical lens shape ($) to the Spherical lens shape ($$$).  Because more R&D has gone into the spherical shape, and there are claims that it provides better optical quality.

Peep this for a quick explanation:

MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 9:22am
Ah see ive never had a spherical lense, thanks for the video. But ya ive also noticed the same thing, that the only huge price difference is between the flat and bulbed lenses. Otherwise im guessing the frames themselves are just different styling?
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 9:36am
Absolutely right!  The frames and straps are all about style. Some like the huge oversized frames, some don't.  Pick one that you like, and then go try it on.
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 9:39am
Alright then, done and done. Thanks for the info guys! Im liking the look of anons. Gonna try and find some of the bright condition lenses.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 9:52am

Alright then, done and done. Thanks for the info guys! Im liking the look of anons. Gonna try and find some of the bright condition lenses.
Big tip, TAKE YOUR HELMET WHEN YOU TRY ON GOGGLES!!!

Some frames do NOT work with certain helmets.
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by CoMtnRider

Big tip, TAKE YOUR HELMET WHEN YOU TRY ON GOGGLES!!!

Some frames do NOT work with certain helmets.

Thank god you said that, I wouldnt have thought of that ahah
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by letourneau41

thisisjoebro. If you went riding all day on a Sunny day with no tint and only clear lenses you would sunburn your retinas.

I live in ohio, and 90% of the time its overcast out. So i don't really need too much tint. I just think mirrored or whatever lenses look nice. But i guess I may be asking for too much.
Funinc158 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Funinc158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 2:55pm
Very true. Except for last season, it was surprisingly sunny out most days.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2012 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Funinc158

Very true. Except for last season, it was surprisingly sunny out most days.

yeah cause i feel there wasn't really a winter here last season haha
LarsGenius View Drop Down
Local
Local
Light It Up

Quote LarsGenius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2012 at 5:43pm
Make sure you bring a back up pair of goggles/lenses for overcast days. You'll want a pair of I/O's or yellow lenses to help see the moguls.

Cry <----This was me in UT last season without a pair of lenses for cloudy days.

Cry <----This is me paying retail at the resort for a pair of goggles with yellow lenses.

Clap <----This is me after first ride with yellow lenses on cloudy day.
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2012 at 10:36am
Haha ya ill probably get a second lens or look for a goggle that comes with the spares.
808miles View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
HOWZIT!!!

Quote 808miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2012 at 1:58pm
I carry two pairs of Smiths when I board. One with a Green Sol-X lens for bright sunny days and one with the Sensor lens. Love the Sensor lens on overcast or snowy days.
Nothing to it but to do it.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2012 at 3:22pm
l just get 2 pair of goggles with me, dont even want to bother with switching out or what now. l mean if you find a cheap pair, you can get it priced at a spare lens
BunnySloper View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Love my new Bern helmet!

Quote BunnySloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2012 at 9:35pm
Yes, if you can afford it. No, if you can't. LOL

They do make a difference but lenses can get very expensive. Some lenses are even more expensive than what you've paid for your goggles. As a matter of fact, the more expensive goggles comes with much better lenses than the cheapos you buy with those amber lenses, which is considered multi-condition lenses, but it's not GOOD for any 1 condition. Confused
In Pacific NW for part of the 2012/2013 Season.
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 8:38am
Ya the more I look the more it seems I have to shell out for the mirrored lenses... and I dont get why everyone like Oakley so much... they may have great lenses but their designs are hideous.
steezycheezy734 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Lake Effect!!

Quote steezycheezy734 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 8:49am

Ya the more I look the more it seems I have to shell out for the mirrored lenses... and I dont get why everyone like Oakley so much... they may have great lenses but their designs are hideous.

Oakley designs take into effect function and then the styling. The outrigger on their goggles serve a purpose, evenly distribute pressure across your face so they don't bind and pinch. Not to mention Oakley lens are impact resistant and offer you zero distortion. Your paying a premium for quality, just like anything else you buy!
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 8:50am

Although I agree with the design quip, Oakley goggles just plain don't fit me worth a hoot.  I've tried almost all of them on, just can't win.  Oh well.  I loves me the new Danny Kass signature model (inspiratioin from it came from the Blackfoot Indians in Montana), but he must have a skinny face.  Too bad.  Smith, Scott, and anon seem to fit pretty well for me.

Edit: I knew it wouldn't be long before someone was bent up about Mathias' coment.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 2:25pm
Well god dammit! Maybe ill look at them more, just in past they never fit me right.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 2:49pm
... find a goggle that fits you nice, decide on lens 2nd.. simple as that 
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by keljai

... find a goggle that fits you nice, decide on lens 2nd.. simple as that 

You sir are a genius!!! It just sucks cause my local shops are so limited.
808miles View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
HOWZIT!!!

Quote 808miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 2:53pm
Amazon.com, Bro. Free shipping and some great deals.
Nothing to it but to do it.
snowflakez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowflakez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 3:19pm
is there a difference in uv protection with goggles that are kinda see through vs the goggles with dark lenses where you cant see your eyes?
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 3:59pm
The VonZipper goggles I have came with Quasar Chrome lenses, which is a 23% VLT.. Will work in all conditions, except for night time/dark.  Will work the best on cloudy or overcast days. And moderate on sunny days or during blizzards. I think if you have only 1 lense or 1 pair of goggles, this seems like the best bet---At least in my case.
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 9:37pm
From what I understand, all of Oakleys are full UV protection
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 5:22am
^^ Most companies' full line up have 100% UVA & UVB protection... a few even block UVC.

It does not matter on the lens tint how much UV gets blocked.  A darker lens only blocks more of the red side of the spectrum (or the "white" visible light), and a lighter tint blocks less of it.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>