Sky Dive From Space!!

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kushman182 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sky Dive From Space!!
    Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 7:47am
Is anyone else watching this? It's Redbull Stratos-Mission to the edge of space. This guy is gonna sky dive from 23 miles up.

Here's the link:

FoxtrotUmbrella View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote FoxtrotUmbrella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 7:54am
Thank you so much for posting the link. I'm watching it right now.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 8:26am
This is AWESOME! Everyone on my facebook is posting it. I'm glad the weather is better now allowing this to happen.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 8:29am
this is pretty insane, they are saying there is a problem with his visor, hopefully it all goes well. 
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 8:42am
hes getting ready to jump!
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 9:19am
He landed! That was soo crazy, he was going over 700mph!
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 9:23am
I was watching it too. That was really cool! I'd like to get my hands on some of the high-res photographs from jumping altitude.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 9:23am
Amazing! Lots of anticipation...but he made is safely! Felix is a boss. holy crap!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 9:25am
Was kinda shocked there were no POV cameras on him. 

Also, did he pass out during that freefall tumble? Wasn't looking so hot for a minute. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 9:34am
Originally posted by LittleShooey

Was kinda shocked there were no POV cameras on him. 

Also, did he pass out during that freefall tumble? Wasn't looking so hot for a minute. 

I was wondering the same thing about the POV gopro camera.

I don't know if he did pass out..but he did have a hard time communicating with everyone at the base.

Man, he sounded nervous when he was sitting in the capsule and the door wouldn't open. I was on the edge of my seat!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 10:01am
Took him a while to get that seatbelt off... LOL

But yeah, he had to forego the "longest freefall" record because he was on the verge of passing out (you can hear him mention it in the live feed), fogged helmet and poor communication with base. And after that tumble... no points lost. 

What a troop, though. 
cheemaster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote cheemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 10:28am
damn, I heard about this earlier,  forgot that it was today. what a boss, that looks so crazy
Mandiiella View Drop Down
Local
Local
rr

Quote Mandiiella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 10:37am
sooooo d0PE!
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 10:50am
Originally posted by LittleShooey

Took him a while to get that seatbelt off... LOL

But yeah, he had to forego the "longest freefall" record because he was on the verge of passing out (you can hear him mention it in the live feed), fogged helmet and poor communication with base. And after that tumble... no points lost. 

What a troop, though. 

Anytime anything went wrong...people's heart stopped. You're right..when he couldnt get his seatbelt off it made me nervous too. Dang, if he completely passed out he would have been done!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 11:11am
This reminds me of that end scene in Avengers when Iron Man went into the space portal and fell down.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote krisshono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 11:50am
that was ridiculous, i dont know what would possess you to try and do this. wouldnt be caught dead trying anything like this.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote FoxtrotUmbrella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 12:54pm
so did he end up breaking the sound barrier? i don't think he did but they haven't officially announced it yet.
ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by FoxtrotUmbrella

so did he end up breaking the sound barrier? i don't think he did but they haven't officially announced it yet.

I just read an article stating he did break the sound barrier.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by mluu003

Anytime anything went wrong...people's heart stopped. You're right..when he couldnt get his seatbelt off it made me nervous too. Dang, if he completely passed out he would have been done!

Space gloves are hella bulky, then you add the pressurized "puff" in the suit that comes with it. I could see how it would be a small task. My roommate and I had a laugh thinking that he was second guessing the whole "jump from space" thing after that. 

"Number 29, remove your seatbelt. Felix? Please remove your seatbelt..."

FWIW, I don't think I'd want to be conscious during a 700 mph tumble. 
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 3:02pm

YT video for those interested!
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 3:28pm
The Balloon they used was bigger then the statue of liberty ?
itzpookiie View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote itzpookiie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 5:09pm
I'd probably die in mid air of a heart attack
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by twolf123

YT video for those interested!

Where's the rest!? I guess I gotta go look for it
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 7:43pm
Heres some more sweet footage. Of him "flying".

Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 8:06pm
I couldn't even imagine what a 4+min freefall would be like. Totally RAD!
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 10:08pm
The man is one crazy mother!! After flicking through some news on it I was surprised that his out of control spin wasn't highlighted more
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 10:16pm
I wonder if they have an automated chute deployment system in case the jumper passes out?  
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by screwyvarmint

I wonder if they have an automated chute deployment system in case the jumper passes out?  

of course they do.   
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 5:17am
red bull is always pushing the limits. Just one hell of a company, brand, and product. I am interested to know the training the person did in order to do this just. I feel like that had some crazy G suit that kept him from passing out or their body was so well tuned for it.

regardless absolutely awesome
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 6:37am
Couldn't imagine tumbling out of control going 500mph towards the ground, not to mention to have the mindset to straighten yourself out. This dude is awesome.
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 6:50am
Yeah it was pretty amazing that he was able to stabilize. He was looking like a rag doll. Im amazed he didn't pass out or anything.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 7:29am
His top speed was 833 mph. That's crazy. That's over Mach 1. I'm amazed that a human body could even survive that kind of free fall outside of a vehicle.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 7:30am
Must have been wearing some kind of special suit, right?  I didn't see it yet, just assuming.   But damn that IS a fast free fall
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 8:05am
Originally posted by robnezz23

Must have been wearing some kind of special suit, right?  I didn't see it yet, just assuming.   But damn that IS a fast free fall

Ya his suit looked looked like an astronauts. Not just for the forces that he dealt with falling, his blood would have turned into a gas in the Stratophere if we wasn't wearing a pressurized suit to handle the pressure and lack of oxygen.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Online Status: Online
  Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 8:05am
Originally posted by robnezz23

He was basically wearing a next generation space suit.  The air temp was as low as -80*F and the pressure was something like .07 ATMs (from memory only).  He jumped from over 2 times higher than the death line, where if you didn't have a pressurized suit, your blood would straight freekin' boil inside of your body the pressure is so low!!!
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
JESSICRAZIE View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JESSICRAZIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 8:40am
Oh man. That's crazy! So much credit goes out to the jumper and red bull. I wouldn't even attempt sky diving never mind even think of this. That was amazing.

I didn't get to see the landing yet though, will have to look for it when I get home from work.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 9:23am
Doesn't that jump from space remind anyone else of the Halo games?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote FoxtrotUmbrella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Von44

It totally does. It also reminds me a bit of Mass Effect as well.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 10:20am
I don't know how that dude didn't soil himself in his suit.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Von44

definitely an ODST soldier, hahahah! it also tells me just how unfeasible it would be...
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 11:41am
That was so insane. Its amazing how Redbull has the money and ability to make that happen. I still can't believe that.
jamers99 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jamers99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 12:53pm
What a beautiful picture from space though. To be up there alone like that has to be an out of the body experience!
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by julius77

I don't know how that dude didn't soil himself in his suit.

I was wondering that too haha. Or...what if his nose itched during the 5 minute free fall?
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 2:54pm
Pretty boring to watch, but pretty sweet to think about going 729mph.  At 5 minutes I wonder if it'd start to feel like a dream about falling.   Totally surreal.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 5:17pm
Is it true that the sky diver broke a world record or something like that?

That dive was so cool.
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 10:40pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFU774q6eVM

Not sure how to make the video come up but this is brilliant
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by snowj720

Pretty boring to watch, but pretty sweet to think about going 729mph.  At 5 minutes I wonder if it'd start to feel like a dream about falling.   Totally surreal.

dude, how was that boring? HE BROKE THE SPEED OF SOUND

also, that DEATH SPIN AT 700MPH that he NARROWLY got out of...HOW IS THAT BORING?
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 4:16am
Agreed. Thought it was pretty damned cool to watch him jump. Would have been awesome if the GoPro's could have live-broadcast the POV feeds. But seeing them afterward is pretty cool too!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 6:22am
^Yeah no way that was boring! It's not everyday a human being falls from space at mach 1 and sticks the landing. I wonder how they'll top this?
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Online Status: Online
  Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 6:46am
^ I had a friend post on facebook basically that same question.  After jumping from the edge of space, breaking the sound barrier with your own body, and returning to earth safely... what will he do next with his life?

I was going to say a trip to Olive Garden may be in store, but then I realized... what do you do to keep yourself entertained after something like that??
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>