New GoPro HERO3 Camera

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tortoisegts View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tortoisegts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New GoPro HERO3 Camera
    Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 11:31pm
Haven't seen any talk around the forums leading up to this (though I haven't been what you call "active" lately). At midnight Pacific Time, GoPro launched a new line of cameras--the HERO3, available in 3 flavors. I have to say, the specs are pretty impressive. Just figured I'd share this, and I'm curious what others think about it.

Linked is their page with specs for the White ($199), Silver ($299), and Black ($399) editions of the HERO3.
HERO3 Model Comparison Page

$400 definitely not cheap, but the Black version touts some tantalizing features, including: 1080p @60 fps, video resolutions of 2.7k and 4k at lower framerates, 12MP photos in 30 fps burst, and included wi-fi remote.

The other 2 scaled back versions also have wi-fi built in and are compatible with the remote (purchased separately) and a remote app. The video and still resolutions and speeds are not as stellar, but still nothing to scoff. All 3 editions are phisically the same--30% smaller, 25% lighter than the original HD Hero (which I have).

I'm not trying to sell the things, I swear. I just think the GoPro folks have outdone themselves this time. Right now, I am exercising a good deal of restraint by not pre-ordering, but I'm not sure if that will last.

I leave you with this:
'09 Burton Jeremy Jones 151, '10 Burton X8 151 // '10 Exile EST // '10 DC Journey
Sierra Stunt 8/5/2010 | Sierra Crew 10/11/2011 | Sierra Reverse Crew 12/27/2013
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 11:43pm
this video is pretty damn amazing...,,
Been signing up for the daily every day for almost a year now..... hopefully my time comes soonStar
bweston View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My wife, myself, and Steveo.

Quote bweston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 12:35am
I have the 2 and am looking at the wifi backpac. The money spent on the camera and the bacpac will def. be more than what the 3 cost. Not a bad deal at 400.

When is the smart phone app supposed to launch? The site just says fall 2012.
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 1:02am
Very interesting.My only complaint with the one I have ,first Hero ,is that the pics are only 5MP 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote tortoisegts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 9:28am
I don't know, bweston. I haven't been keeping up with the wi-fi app release, as I don't have a smartphone. It's been out for the iPhone, but not sure when it will be available on Android. Should be soon.
'09 Burton Jeremy Jones 151, '10 Burton X8 151 // '10 Exile EST // '10 DC Journey
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 9:43am
Oh man... I think my Xbox might be for sale to buy this bad boy. Or i will wait for my buddy to buy it, and snag his Hero2. lol
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 10:12am
Now I have to get rid of my Hero1 and Hero2.  Ugh!  Cry
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 12:56pm
Agreed Midg me too 
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 1:27pm
I guess buying the black edition hero3 is the only real upgrade since the white/silver edition is extremely similar to the hero2 (except the weight and size).

But still..I want it! Time to sell my Hero2!

youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 2:48pm
I just bought a Hero 2 last year so I don't think I can justify making the purchase of the Hero 3 but I want it bad.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 3:11pm
I've only had my Hero2 since June...and of course now they launch this.

I was looking at the wi-fi backpack last night...may just grab it for now and let the 2 keep me going for awhile.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 3:14pm
I was thinking of maybe doing the same thing. If you think that sucks for you my friend just bought the 2 about two weeks ago so he's pretty pissed that he bought it and the new one's coming out.
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 3:37pm
I'm more interested in the Sony Action Cam. It shoots very smoothly because of the image stabilisation, pretty good optics, and a physical profile that I'd much prefer over my GoPro Hero.

And I'm pretty sure the Hero 3 with 4K capability is intended for professional use.
itzpookiie View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote itzpookiie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 4:48pm
That video makes me really wanna get one
But jesus $400 for it lol
Can't do it :(
bweston View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My wife, myself, and Steveo.

Quote bweston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 12:48am
Yeah, I will just wait on the 3. I'm going to scoop the bac pac for my 2 and rock it for another year. Maybe wait until the 4 comes out.
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 1:03am
that video alone almost sells me. I haven't had the chance to use any of the goPro products but have heard good reports. One to put on the santa wishlist
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Lux

I'm more interested in the Sony Action Cam. It shoots very smoothly because of the image stabilisation, pretty good optics, and a physical profile that I'd much prefer over my GoPro Hero.

And I'm pretty sure the Hero 3 with 4K capability is intended for professional use.
4k is only at 12fps thou sadly. Still awesome to have such a feature at a decently low price. Wouldn't suit fast action sports at all, maybe for slow things like dives and just scenery? 
If only Queensland had snow...
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 1:36am
That video was phenomenal. Haven't committed to a go pro yet but I'm thinking this might just push me over the line!
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 6:33am
http://slickdeals.net/f/5351668-New-GoPro-HD-Hero3-Black-Edition-32-GB-MicroSD-Card-359-99-Free-Shipping-Pre-order

WHAT!! hero3 with coupon code discount!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 10:51am
I hope this new one has greatly improved the low light performance from the first go pro. Which is the one I have and hate that I cant film in an indoor skatepark.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 11:19am
Originally posted by mluu003

http://slickdeals.net/f/5351668-New-GoPro-HD-Hero3-Black-Edition-32-GB-MicroSD-Card-359-99-Free-Shipping-Pre-order

Coupon code don't work anymore.  
motoxninja80 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 11:34am
That hero3 looks sick, I still have yet to get one though, can't wait to get one.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Coupon code don't work anymore.  

It doesnt? I skimmed through the comments on the slickdeals page and I didn't see any issues. oh well sorry guys.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 12:03pm
The 3 should do pretty well in low lighting. I have the 2 and it did pretty good and I'm sure that they upgraded it even more.
Duneluder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Duneluder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 12:56pm
Yeah I saw the video somewhere else and it looks pretty nice...but honestly, I have a GoPro Hero and it works great....I feel like that quality of camera isn't really necessary unless you're making professional videos.

For small edits of the weekend I just think it's a bit over powered. Still a cool product though!

Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 1:13pm

It doesnt? I skimmed through the comments on the slickdeals page and I didn't see any issues. oh well sorry guys.

Yeah, I just tried it and it said invalid.  So maybe they caught on so decided to invalidate it with the new GoPro.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Duneluder

Yeah I saw the video somewhere else and it looks pretty nice...but honestly, I have a GoPro Hero and it works great....I feel like that quality of camera isn't really necessary unless you're making professional videos.

For small edits of the weekend I just think it's a bit over powered. Still a cool product though!

Yeah I love my original gopro hero. It works amazing in daylight. I just want to be able to film clips with good quality in my local indoor skatepark which I go to often. So I'm trying to sell mine for a hero2 upgrade or even 3.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote tortoisegts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2012 at 1:53am
On the main HERO3 overview page, it says "Pro low-light performance" for the Black edition, whatever that means. So it should be better. Perhaps it uses a different sensor.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 1:14pm
New toy!?! Ugh, that video did it for me.
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by tortoisegts

Haven't seen any talk around the forums leading up to this (though I haven't been what you call "active" lately). At midnight Pacific Time, GoPro launched a new line of cameras--the HERO3, available in 3 flavors. I have to say, the specs are pretty impressive. Just figured I'd share this, and I'm curious what others think about it.

Linked is their page with specs for the White ($199), Silver ($299), and Black ($399) editions of the HERO3.
HERO3 Model Comparison Page

$400 definitely not cheap, but the Black version touts some tantalizing features, including: 1080p @60 fps, video resolutions of 2.7k and 4k at lower framerates, 12MP photos in 30 fps burst, and included wi-fi remote.

The other 2 scaled back versions also have wi-fi built in and are compatible with the remote (purchased separately) and a remote app. The video and still resolutions and speeds are not as stellar, but still nothing to scoff. All 3 editions are phisically the same--30% smaller, 25% lighter than the original HD Hero (which I have).

I'm not trying to sell the things, I swear. I just think the GoPro folks have outdone themselves this time. Right now, I am exercising a good deal of restraint by not pre-ordering, but I'm not sure if that will last.

I leave you with this:

Technology is moving so fast, The new features on the gopro3 is amazing,  I am presonally looking forward to the new videos people will come up with.  The wifi remote can control upto 30 gorpos ( I think I read it somewhere) imagine all the angles you can film.  4k is also sweet, but who has 4k tv's and also at only 12 frames/sec. 
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 7:15pm
Yeah i dont see how 12fps will be any good unless sped up. Isn't the standard frame rate 30?
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 11:29pm

On the main HERO3 overview page, it says "Pro low-light performance" for the Black edition, whatever that means. So it should be better. Perhaps it uses a different sensor.

i think they're all on CMOS so...im not sure they're gonna have a drastically different sensor (seriously, a camera that size is gonna have a pretty shitty sensor...at least compared to a DSLR)

might also be the processor by having a higher iso
but there will definitely be tradeoffs on bumping that up...
gepet0 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote gepet0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 11:58pm
here some explanation about the camera:
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 6:35am
^ yess 2x better lowlight performance! Still dont know if my lcd bacback will work on it. My guess is not.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 7:56am
I hate the fact that they changed the SD card to microSD. Ugh I dont want to buy a new microSD!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 10:27am
Originally posted by thisisjoebro

^ yess 2x better lowlight performance! Still dont know if my lcd bacback will work on it. My guess is not.

It better work on it!  I hate it when they don't make things have backward compatible capability.  
shing02 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by thisisjoebro

i think "live scene mode" essentially makes that obsolete which should be quite exciting!...that or i've misread what it means and we're all out another hundred or so...

also, microSD cards aren't THAT big of an investment...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote tortoisegts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 2:13pm
I'm pretty sure I remember reading that it is backwards compatible with previous BacPacs.

(Edit:)

From the GoPro website: "The HERO3: Black Edition is compatible with all GoPro mounting accessories and older generation BacPacs™ along with the newer generation LCD Touch BacPac and 2nd generation Battery BacPac. However, as all HERO3 cameras have a new size and shape and are not compatible with HERO2 housings."

That's nice. I'm guessing (hoping) that you can put an older generation BacPac door on the new HERO3 housing to make it fit right, but I can't say for sure.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 7:05pm

That's nice. I'm guessing (hoping) that you can put an older generation BacPac door on the new HERO3 housing to make it fit right, but I can't say for sure.

Hmm good question. I hope so too cause I use my waterproof case a lot.

Thanks for clarifying that it is backward compatible. 
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 9:07pm

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that it is backwards compatible with previous BacPacs.

(Edit:)

From the GoPro website: "The HERO3: Black Edition is compatible with all GoPro mounting accessories and older generation BacPacs™ along with the newer generation LCD Touch BacPac and 2nd generation Battery BacPac. However, as all HERO3 cameras have a new size and shape and are not compatible with HERO2 housings."

I'm sure this includes Chesty mount and wrist housing? as they have the casing attached to actual 'mount'?
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 10:28pm
I have the Hero HD and the 3 seriously has me considering adding to my collection. Thought about selling it to help fund for the new purchase but have been meaning to have multiple perspectives for the same runs. But yeah, $400 is pretty crazy... but that's still better than spending double that for a HD vid DSLR. What intrigues me the post is the 120fps at 720p! Awesome slowmo! But yeah, the switch from SD to microsd is annoying.

Still no luck for me with the daily giveaway.

I saw that (orig post) video about a week ago... SO EPIC!
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by fj5

I have the Hero HD and the 3 seriously has me considering adding to my collection. Thought about selling it to help fund for the new purchase but have been meaning to have multiple perspectives for the same runs. But yeah, $400 is pretty crazy... but that's still better than spending double that for a HD vid DSLR. What intrigues me the post is the 120fps at 720p! Awesome slowmo! But yeah, the switch from SD to microsd is annoying.

Still no luck for me with the daily giveaway.

I saw that (orig post) video about a week ago... SO EPIC!
$400 is no different from every other new model they bring out. They always bring the other cameras price down and match it with the previous model price. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2012 at 12:27am
 Yep,  they have the Hero 2 marked down to $199 at best buy now. 
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2012 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by highway12south

Yep,  they have the Hero 2 marked down to $199 at best buy now. 

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Damnit I should have sold my Hero2 when I had the chance before the hero3 was announced.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2012 at 3:45pm
I bet there are so many people that bought the 2 just before the 3 came out and are really regretting it.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2012 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Lux

EXACTLY.  i watched a few videos on youtube the other day comparing the hero2 and sony cam, on the same pole mount, and with the image stabilization activated on the sony, it was so much smoother and better quality video than the hero.  the color rendition is a little too much sometimes, but the quality is amazing.  cheaper too.  i'm really tempted by the sony
Instructor
Instructor

Quote tortoisegts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2012 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by panther

Originally posted by Lux

EXACTLY.  i watched a few videos on youtube the other day comparing the hero2 and sony cam, on the same pole mount, and with the image stabilization activated on the sony, it was so much smoother and better quality video than the hero.  the color rendition is a little too much sometimes, but the quality is amazing.  cheaper too.  i'm really tempted by the sony

It all depends on what your preference is. The image stabilization of the Sony is nice and easy, and it would be great if you don't plan on editing or processing the video at all. On the other hand, you can use the higher resolution of the GoPro along with software that allows image stabilization for the same effect. I'm not sure of the difference in quality between the two. Also, using the IS feature of the Sony may decrease battery life, so that's something to look into.
shing02 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2012 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by steezemisterr

I bet there are so many people that bought the 2 just before the 3 came out and are really regretting it.

this is why it pays to stalk companies/gadget blogs for rumors and new developments :3
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2012 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by shing02

this is why it pays to stalk companies/gadget blogs for rumors and new developments :3

Or you could just always buy the clearance model, save money, and just be a little behind current tech.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2012 at 2:36am
Originally posted by fj5

Originally posted by shing02

Or you could just always buy the clearance model, save money, and just be a little behind current tech.
Bit behind of overkill tech? i'm sure we can live with that... LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>