Official 2012/2013 NBA Season

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 30313233>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official 2012/2013 NBA Season
    Posted: Jul/29/2013 at 9:00am
Well Wall is no lebron, and he isn't a Jeff Teague either.  He is a no 1 overall, with a lot of potential still.  I think your list is accurate, though I'd rather have Wall than Nash.  Contracts aren't always designated by how good a player is compared to others in the league, they are designated by many more factors, mostly specific to the team offering the contract.  If I were a Wizards fan, I think I'd be happy with ownership for signing that.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2013 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by magichc

Originally posted by Von44

Yeah I think Howard will be fine in Houston but I'm wondering how he'll do with the pick and roll with Lin if he couldn't or wouldn't do it with Nash?

Are you sure he didn't want to run a pick and roll with Nash or the Lakers coach just doesn't like that kind of offense. I read their coach just didnt have the type of offense that was the best for the Lakers players
Yea you're right, I guess they could've implemented any system with any coach just as long as Kobe takes 25-30 shots a game.
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2013 at 2:25am

Yeah I think Howard will be fine in Houston but I'm wondering how he'll do with the pick and roll with Lin if he couldn't or wouldn't do it with Nash?

Are you sure he didn't want to run a pick and roll with Nash or the Lakers coach just doesn't like that kind of offense. I read their coach just didnt have the type of offense that was the best for the Lakers players
Yea you're right, I guess they could've implemented any system with any coach just as long as Kobe takes 25-30 shots a game.

How did you go from talking about Howard and the Lakers offense to Kobe's playing? They're 2 separate topics
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2013 at 6:10am
Not really. I feel those two have more in common. And where did you read that Dantoni didn't have the right offence for the lakers? Why else would they have hired him then? The pick n roll with Nash and Howard should've been textbook between them but something just didnt click. So he regressed and ran the offence through Kobe.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2013 at 8:41am
Surprising news today that it looks like Dejuan Blair (ex-Spurs) is going to Dallas. And I thought the Mavericks were done with their off season signings. Current roster:

PG: Jose Calderone, Shane Larkin, Gal Mekel
SG: Monta Ellis, Wayne Ellington, Ricky Ledo
SF: Shawn Marion, Vince Carter
PF: Dirk, Dejuan Blair, Jae Crowder
C: Samuel Dalembert, Brandan Wright, Bernard James

8th seed, here we come!
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2013 at 12:01pm
I think the Pacers are having a nice offseason after getting so close to the NBA finals.  They re-signed David West to a reasonable deal and plucked Scola from the Suns, giving them some more depth on the bench, which ended up being an issue in the playoffs.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2013 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Geez

I think the Pacers are having a nice offseason after getting so close to the NBA finals.  They re-signed David West to a reasonable deal and plucked Scola from the Suns, giving them some more depth on the bench, which ended up being an issue in the playoffs.

Both of those were great.  Who knew that you could get Scola for nothing.
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2013 at 2:54pm
Von - I and I'm guessing a lot of other Laker fans thought he was a last minute hire that was maybe the cheapest for the best fit available due to throwing away so much money already on hiring Brown. Lakers were constantly injuried so they didnt have quality practices together, I'm guessing less than half a season, so it's hard for the players to gel together
madsnake View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote madsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2013 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

Both of those were great.  Who knew that you could get Scola for nothing.

getting scola was a very nice pick up and as you say, it didnt take too much. except for the draft pick, which no doubt is what the suns were after.

pistons and bucks have just made a sign and trade for jennings.
Detroit would send to Milwaukee guard Brandon Knight, forward Khris Middleton and center Viacheslav Kravtsov. Estimates of Jennings’ three-year deal ranged from $24 million to more than $25 million
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2013 at 5:19am

Well, I guess that partially answers our questions about Detroit's backcourt.  It is still an interesting mix of players, though I am not sure if their styles mesh.  That said, they have some interesting pieces and some expiring deals that could yield some interesting possibilities.

Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2013 at 6:36am

Von - I and I'm guessing a lot of other Laker fans thought he was a last minute hire that was maybe the cheapest for the best fit available due to throwing away so much money already on hiring Brown. Lakers were constantly injuried so they didnt have quality practices together, I'm guessing less than half a season, so it's hard for the players to gel together

Any of you Laker fans believing that Phil might come back to the Lakers to play some front office role?
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2013 at 9:11am
I know we are off the John Wall topic, but the Brandon Jennings 3yr/$25 mil deal is in the neighborhood of what Wall should have gotten...not this 5yr/$80 mil talk...crazy
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2013 at 10:08am
5yr/$80 mil is totally crazy! That's not even anywhere close to what he really got. Is the $80 mil what he thought he should get, or was it tabloid estimates?
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2013 at 11:06am
This site is my tabloid apparently, because I thought it happened already.  Apparently it is "being finalized" but the Washington post is using that number - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2013/07/31/john-walls-contract-extension-is-a-risk-the-wizards-believe-they-have-to-take/
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2013 at 12:02pm
Joe Dumars is just trying to buy sometime, he was about to get fired. Now he has grabbed enough talent that they should make the playoffs. It will be interesting to see how the three big men work together. 
madsnake View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote madsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2013 at 1:03pm

i think they will work well together, that is a one great frontcourt and now they have a decent backcourt as well. pistons could be in the playoffs afterall.

the wall deal is now offical. maximum deal, five year, $80 million contract. theres no doubting hes a star but that is crazy money. hopefully he stays healthy and gets a chance to live up to expectations this season.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 5:54am
"Because Wall has never made an all-star team or all-NBA team and has won a total of 72 games in his first three seasons, the Wizards are paying him mostly for what they hope he will become instead of what he already is. Making such a large financial commitment to a less-proven commodity is a dangerous proposal but one several teams have made – and reaped the benefits."

We'll see, but when someone hasn't proven to deserve that kind of money and is demanding it beforehand, I will always root for them to fail so they would learn a lesson of humility 

Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 5:59am
Evan Turner was the second pick in that draft and he is garbage.  He's still probably wondering where his money is.
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 8:54am
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

Any of you Laker fans believing that Phil might come back to the Lakers to play some front office role?

I hope he does because the Laker organization needs some kind of guidance and direction right now. They screwed up big time and are still trying to do damage control
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 10:15am
The Mavs have finally signed Devin Harris, to a 1-year deal for only $1 million. Amazing how far he has fallen from his all-star year at NJ. Hopefully, his toe will be all recovered by the start of the season and he'll help the team get back in the playoffs. Current signed roster:

SG: Monta Ellis, Devin Harris, Wayne Ellington, Ricky Ledo
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 11:43am
Originally posted by rurchan

"Because Wall has never made an all-star team or all-NBA team and has won a total of 72 games in his first three seasons, the Wizards are paying him mostly for what they hope he will become instead of what he already is. Making such a large financial commitment to a less-proven commodity is a dangerous proposal but one several teams have made – and reaped the benefits."

We'll see, but when someone hasn't proven to deserve that kind of money and is demanding it beforehand, I will always root for them to fail so they would learn a lesson of humility 

I'll be rooting for him to live up to that contract.  In fact, I have a pretty low bar for Calipari coached players.  As long as they aren't stomping homeless people in downtown Portland, I like them.
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 11:51am
^^ what was that all about? All I heard was he stomped a homeless person, did they say why or what started it?
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 12:06pm
^ It was a little after 2 am.  I imagine he just left a bar and was recklessly abusive to someone sitting on the ground, or responded to aggressive panhandling poorly.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 12:30pm
The 2 homeless guys were sleeping.  Jones yelled at them to wake up and then stomped on one of the guy's legs.  What an idiot.
madsnake View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote madsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by lightning80

The Mavs have finally signed Devin Harris, to a 1-year deal for only $1 million. Amazing how far he has fallen from his all-star year at NJ. Hopefully, his toe will be all recovered by the start of the season and he'll help the team get back in the playoffs. Current signed roster:

SG: Monta Ellis, Devin Harris, Wayne Ellington, Ricky Ledo

i think you have to be pretty happy with that. for a franchise that were slow to make their moves, theyve ended up with a fairly decent roster this season.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 4:52am
I think that Dallas lineup tops out as a 6-seed if everyone stays healthy.  I am very suspicious of their defense.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 6:54am

I think that Dallas lineup tops out as a 6-seed if everyone stays healthy.  I am very suspicious of their defense.

what defense? Cry
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 7:16am
Originally posted by sideways99

The 2 homeless guys were sleeping.  Jones yelled at them to wake up and then stomped on one of the guy's legs.  What an idiot.

If that's what really happened, it just shows how stupid some athletes are. They need to know what type of situation they are in (not everyone has the skill set or blessings of money they have/get). They need to realize they have more to lose in all situations and it is in their best interest to walk away from pretty much everything
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 7:29am
It's actually pretty hard for star athletes to have that kind of perspective. Most of them have been the best player on their team, in their neighborhood, in their school, in their community, in their city, etc. Because of their talent, the people around them have given them a pass on life for the most part.

I'm speaking from personal experience, and I wouldn't even consider myself a "star" athlete. I guess it's because Texas high school football is so huge, and I happened to be a starting WR, people around the school all show some kind of reverence/respect. At least 1 teacher let me pass (AP Calculus) so I can stay eligible and graduate. Even just regular people around town, like at the ice cream store, would know my name and sometimes give me freebies. And, like I said, I wasn't a "star". We had a running team that passed maybe 10% of the time. I had zero TDs the entire time I played.

Now, I can only imagine a real star player, someone that's good enough to make the pros, and what kind of treatment they would get from everybody. How can we expect them to have the perspective of how good of a situation they're in? They've had it this good all their lives.
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 7:59am
Well that's what they get for taking things for granted. I understand what you're saying, although the people who realize the situation they have in front of them are the ones that stand out from the other athletes as stand up people
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 1:18pm
This is so funny

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZpGKC62qvs&feature=fvwrel
madsnake View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote madsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 6:11pm
oden has agreed to a 2 year deal with miami. i was really hoping they were going to take a chance on him. will be good to have a legitimate centre, im just hoping those knees can hold up this time.
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 10:28pm
Who do you think has more bball knowledge: skip or Stephen?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRDEqBgOUZU&feature=fvwrel

I found myself going thru a bunch of these videos just for fun
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by madsnake

oden has agreed to a 2 year deal with miami. i was really hoping they were going to take a chance on him. will be good to have a legitimate centre, im just hoping those knees can hold up this time.
Only time will tell. But I think this guy is a ticking time bomb when it comes to his frail knees. And it's technically a one year deal with an option.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2013 at 8:39am
It's a lottery ticket.  If Oden can give them 70% of what Birdman did, it will be a win.
madsnake View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote madsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2013 at 4:11pm
exactly and its not as if they paid big money for him so its not a huge loss if it doesnt work out but well worth the risk.
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2013 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by madsnake

exactly and its not as if they paid big money for him so its not a huge loss if it doesnt work out but well worth the risk.

Sounds like it is a win win situation for the Heat, not good news for the rest of the teams :-(
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2013 at 11:21pm
Really hope Oden stays healthy for once just to see a glimpse of that potential.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2013 at 6:57am
^ It's pretty amazing.  He was a great talent who had a very good year, and then had a sick NCAA Finals game against Noah / Horford (albeit in a losing cause).  That basically solidified that he would be the No. 1 pick over Durant.  Didn't really work out so well for Portland, did it.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2013 at 7:48am
^^what do u think was the main reason why he isn't flourishing in the NBA? I always wonder what happened to guys who did crazy well, #1 ish in college, and then aren't so good in the NBA. I know some people will say older guys, more physical, smarter, higher level of competition
madsnake View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote madsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2013 at 1:39pm
hes knees. its not a question of him being a good player, hes just been plagued by injuries.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2013 at 7:56am
yeah, he hasn't been able to stay on the court because of injuries, not because he's can't play. i would judge his play like i would a 2nd year player, because that's what he is based on the number of games he's been able to play.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2013 at 10:06am
If he could stay healthy, he would excel.  But he is too fragile.  
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2013 at 10:36am
I think Oden has been lying about his age for the past 20 years.  In college he already looked like he was over 50 years old.  No wonder the dude has bad knees, playing college hoops at 50 is tough.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2013 at 11:11am
Lol, how does the truth not come out then if he wasn't his age. someone has to know how old he really is. He needs better athletic trainers/physical therapist. They're the ones that can strengthen his "weak" joints/ligaments/muscles
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2013 at 11:53pm
Maybe he's like Benjamin Button where he was born a 100 year old and now gets younger? This means he'll be in his prime soon!
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2013 at 8:19am
^^ haha, I still need to see that movie. I heard it got a lot of good reviews according to people I talked to. Oden just needs to be more extra careful when he conditions and plays for the NBA. I'm guessing if he gets hurt one more time, he's going to be done with. Once you get injured, you are more likely to injure that spot again. He's had lots of injuries which just makes it easier for him to injury those spots again
madsnake View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote madsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2013 at 9:32pm

schedule has been announced. magic/pacers kick it off on the 29th oct followed by heat/bulls and clippers/lakers. thought for sure it was going to be lakers/rockets opening night but that doesnt look like its happening until feb 19th... maybe they just wanted to make sure that kobe was definitely going to be back for the match up.  

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2013 at 12:39am
Wow is that the first matchup between lakers/rockets? Feb 19th seems a bit late.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2013 at 4:46pm
Mad snake is right. They might have made it that late to give Kobe enough time to heal so he would definitely play in that game. It is going to be a boring game if Kobe isn't on the court. Defeats the whole point of this hatred/rivalry that Kobe and Dwight have with each other now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30313233>