Pow Boards

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
exastronaut View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote exastronaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pow Boards
    Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 9:12pm
I'm looking to round out my quiver with a pow board. I live in MA and mostly ride in VT, so I'm not looking for a fish or a swallowtail or anything too crazy like that. It's rare that we get super deep days, and I'd like something that'll be acceptable on occasional groomers. 

I'm thinking of something with more traditional shape, but tapered a bit. I have a YES G.D.O.H., so I'm not interested in a rockered twin deck: I'm looking for something directional.

I spend most of my time in the trees, so I'm looking for something that's maneuverable. I'm a big guy, about 200#, so I'm looking for something in the 162-166 range. That's where all of my current boards fall. 

I'm not looking to shell out a lot of cash on a new deck. A used but not abused board will be fine for me.

So, any thoughts? A Malolo if I can find one? Charlie Slasher? I'd love to try a Nidecker Megalight, but they're damn near impossible to find. I know the Burton Barracuda is out there too, but I don't think I could get one for a decent price.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 9:40pm
everything about this SCREAMS charlie 164.  malolo 62 or 66 would be good too, but i'm voting charlie.  both great boards.  malolo (full camber) was my first pow deck, which changed snowboarding for me.  charlie for me is the continuation of that, plus extra amounts of awesome.  

i have a 2012 charlie 64 at the shop (new of course) that i could sell for a deal.  send me a PM if that interests you.  i also have a 2012 barracuda 161, slightly used, that would be a deal, but i dunno if you're down with that size.  still, i would recommend charlie.
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 11:58pm
 Yepp to the above post. Or the Burton supermodel. Its directional and has 10 MM taper .   Try the Brtn  mass outlet .I found one for 199 last year brand new there .Also  there are some cheap  slightly used 163's for sale on ebay right now. Perfect east coast   board for freshies . If it gets deep set  em back. 

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote exastronaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 5:28am
I thought about the supermodel, but as far as I know it's still a traditional camber board. I don't think a cambered 163 is what I want, even if it has a small amount of taper. I already have a cambered 164 and 166, so I don't know that a slightly tapered 163 would be all that different.

The barracuda looks interesting, but a 161 would be a little short for me. I said 162-166, but in reality, unless it's got a really short tail, I'm probably more at 164+.

My one concern with the Charlie is that big sidecut. I wonder if a board with a big waist and a big sidecut is going to feel sluggish in tight trees. I assume you've ridden one spenser, so what are your thoughts? Anyone else ridden any of these boards?
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 6:26am
A S-Rocker and tapered 161 Barracuda would be plenty of deck and float.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
djmaya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote djmaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 6:32am
I was between a Fish and a Barracuda last year. After a huge amount of recommendations from Spenser I ended up with the fish and I do not regret it one bit. It so so maneuverable in trees and has SO MUCH FLOAT! I am 195 and use a 160.
2012 Vapor 162W - 2010 CO2 EST - 2010 Hail
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 6:34am
 Maybe try to demo a tapered board first and see how well you like it

Here's a small clip of my  SM in the pow in Tahoe.I love the way it tracks in fresh snow and personally I can notice the slight taper comboed with its setback stance.
http://youtu.be/Ogq9_JCQaH4

robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 6:56am
Originally posted by Scorer099

BTW Scorer, did you know you won a Sierra Stunt on Monday of this week 10/22?  Let me know if you'd be willing to part with it.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 6:59am
Originally posted by robnezz23

Originally posted by Scorer099

BTW Scorer, did you know you won a Sierra Stunt on Monday of this week 10/22?  Let me know if you'd be willing to part with it.

hahahahahahaha. Shows how much i pay attention.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 7:04am
Originally posted by exastronaut

I thought about the supermodel, but as far as I know it's still a traditional camber board. I don't think a cambered 163 is what I want, even if it has a small amount of taper. I already have a cambered 164 and 166, so I don't know that a slightly tapered 163 would be all that different.

The barracuda looks interesting, but a 161 would be a little short for me. I said 162-166, but in reality, unless it's got a really short tail, I'm probably more at 164+.

My one concern with the Charlie is that big sidecut. I wonder if a board with a big waist and a big sidecut is going to feel sluggish in tight trees. I assume you've ridden one spenser, so what are your thoughts? Anyone else ridden any of these boards?
I ride a 164 Charlie in the Vermont trees, and it is extremely nimble. The shorter tail is actually really nice in the trees when you have to make some quick turns.
Mandiiella View Drop Down
Local
Local
rr

Quote Mandiiella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 7:07am
checkout the neversummer's  good all around board at the sametime holds up nice in pow.. i love my neversummer for westcoast and eastcoast
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 7:36am
I added the Charlie last season and on pow days, I was playing mostly in the trees. It definitely changed how I can ride in pow. The float made it effortless to keep my tips up and the shorter tail definitely made for quick turns as VermontRider mentioned. So no, it doesnt feel sluggish to me. I also rode on groomers while moving to other spots on the mountain and it didn't feel weird or lacking much. Granted this is the only powder board i've used, but its definitely a keeper.  
Its not fun unless its sketchy
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 7:37am
Charlie or Hovercraft are the most affordable pow decks and 2 of the best in my opinion.. I'm around your size and had a 162 malolo with srocker before i had a little run in with a buried boulder underneath a cliff drop... i switched it up and went with the 160 hovercraft... thing is a beast.  The waist width is super wide on the 160 but I didn't really notice any sluggishness in the trees.  With the surface area on the board you could probably drop down to the 156 with no problems.  Float for DAYS!  Charlie is very similar to the Malolo so you can't go wrong.  I highly recommend either.  
MOAR powderz plz!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote exastronaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 8:25am
I like the idea of sizing down, but I'm wary of doing so. The last time I rode a 161 it felt too short to me. I've owned a 167 and demoed a 169 for almost a full day and never had any problems. I don't mind a longer board, I can handle it. But for pow I shouldn't need anything that big if the tail is shorter and tapered. Still, fully geared up I'm at 220#, and I couldn't imagine riding a 156, no matter what shape it is.

I like narrower waisted boards because they're quick edge-to-edge. My current quiver all comes in at 252 or 253. I know that pow decks will be wider than that, but I don't want to get on a board that's nice and short because it's also really wide. That just doesn't fit my riding style or the terrain I'm usually on.
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 8:51am
All great options above. I'm personally biased to the fish, love that thing to death. The shape of it is unique, but its not a one dimensional board. 

Just to throw you another option, add the bataleon cameltoe to your list of boards to check out. Great shape, the taper is not as aggressive as the fish, and hits that 'affordable' price point. If you're not looking for an all out powder surfer, its a great stick for powder days and otherwise. I wouldn't be too backed off by the tail, unless you're set on a powder board that you really wanna ride switch. in which case, id check out a sherlock..awesome powder board, switch no prob, and will get you near that waist width you like. 
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 9:06am
Originally posted by exastronaut

I like the idea of sizing down, but I'm wary of doing so. The last time I rode a 161 it felt too short to me. I've owned a 167 and demoed a 169 for almost a full day and never had any problems. I don't mind a longer board, I can handle it. But for pow I shouldn't need anything that big if the tail is shorter and tapered. Still, fully geared up I'm at 220#, and I couldn't imagine riding a 156, no matter what shape it is.

I like narrower waisted boards because they're quick edge-to-edge. My current quiver all comes in at 252 or 253. I know that pow decks will be wider than that, but I don't want to get on a board that's nice and short because it's also really wide. That just doesn't fit my riding style or the terrain I'm usually on.

i'm the same weight now and have had a 156 burton joystick that i rode all over the mtn.. was super fun.  I also demo'd the 150 nug last winter on a pretty good pow day.. thing was amazing.  Last winter I was clocking in at 230 so you should have no issues on a shorter board.  The tech that's out there now allows you to ride shorter boards than back in the day.  Also, with pow boards you don't really need to worry so much about that quickness edge to edge..bc you will be riding powder.  I have no issues with my 160 Hovercraft even on groomers..the thing rips them.. and its easily the widest board i've been on.  Just my .02$  In the end you are going to do what you want to do ultimately... but don't get so stuck in the mindset that you can't ride a shorter/wider board.  Trust the tech! 

p.s.  Riding a shorter board is going to be way more fun in trees than a long as 167+.. so much more nimble! 
MOAR powderz plz!
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 9:10am
^^^ you know what they say ....
Lib

"huge balls, short banana"

-b
get bent
Allieng View Drop Down
TRU Staff.
TRU Staff.

Quote Allieng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 9:22am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

^^^ you know what they say ....
Lib

"huge balls, short banana"

-b

Do you mean "Big hands, Big feet."?????
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 9:25am
Haha Allie, I guess you must know MTpow better than I do!
Wink

-b

get bent
Allieng View Drop Down
TRU Staff.
TRU Staff.

Quote Allieng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 9:28am
Haha lol Bryman!!! I am just saying, but I don't no MTpow better than you!!    
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 9:30am
MOAR powderz plz!
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 9:31am
Originally posted by MTpow

share your popcorn?
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
Allieng View Drop Down
TRU Staff.
TRU Staff.

Quote Allieng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 9:38am
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

Originally posted by MTpow

share your popcorn?

Oh my gosh! This has gotten CREEPY..
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 9:40am
Thanks but I have my own popcorn...

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 4:46pm
don't size down.  stay at your normal preferred size for a pow board.  here's why:

same size for overall stability
taper/setback for MORE float and more pow stability
smaller tail for extra maneuverability

there is NO reason to size down.  you are gaining all the positives by staying at the same size.  sizing down is going to take away some overall stability, and you're already getting a more maneuverable board because of the shape, rather than trying to achieve the same thing by sizing down.

just my opinion, sure, but i have spent tons of time on various powder shapes.
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 6:29pm
I'm of the old school of big and hard.
No, not talking about cocks.
No board quite gives me the pleasure of riding as one that's long, tapered, and very stiff. It's what I'm used to.
Contemporary camber profiles have made riding easier in all sorts of conditions (rocker, hybrid, flat).
Recently (which is 5 years for me), rocker is exploding because it sails on top of powder and is evidently super easy to ride.
You can get sloppy and still stay upright on the snow with relatively little effort.
But I think people spend too much time arguing about worthless bullshit like rocker vs. camber instead of finessing their technique...
The Arbor A-Frame is my dream board. It's big, it floats, its classic camber, it's fast, it's stiff, and it will drive lines so deep in powder and groomers.
And it fits your criteria exceptionally well. Consider it.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote exastronaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Lux

I'm of the old school of big and hard.
No, not talking about cocks.
No board quite gives me the pleasure of riding as one that's long, tapered, and very stiff. It's what I'm used to.
Contemporary camber profiles have made riding easier in all sorts of conditions (rocker, hybrid, flat).
Recently (which is 5 years for me), rocker is exploding because it sails on top of powder and is evidently super easy to ride.
You can get sloppy and still stay upright on the snow with relatively little effort.
But I think people spend too much time arguing about worthless bullshit like rocker vs. camber instead of finessing their technique...
The Arbor A-Frame is my dream board. It's big, it floats, its classic camber, it's fast, it's stiff, and it will drive lines so deep in powder and groomers.
And it fits your criteria exceptionally well. Consider it.
I have a 2008 Arbor Crossbow 166. The Crossbow was the same dimensions as the A-Frame with a very similar construction. The Crossbow has a carbon fiber strut running the length of the board, reinforced sidewalls, and cork stringers for dampening. They considered it to be their most advanced board, even more so than the A-Frame. At that time, neither board was tapered. The new A-Frames are 'tapered', but barely. They don't even advertise them as such, because they taper 2mm. That's essentially no taper compared to a powder board with 10-20mm or more.

I like it, it's a bomber board, but a big, heavy, and stiff one at that. As a big guy I can hit incredible speeds on that board and it carves like crazy. I do ride it in the trees. I rode it a lot last season, it's great. 

But... It doesn't truly float like a board with a rockered nose. It doesn't surf like a board with a tapered tail. You can set the stance back, but that just puts the front contact point further away from your foot. You don't necessarily gain anything. I already rock a wide stance since I'm tall, so I'm looking for a board that is designed for pow so I can ride a regular width stance and still get that float. I don't want to have to narrow my stance to move it back.

The A-Frame is a great board. I love the topsheet. It might be the best looking board I've ever seen. But I basically have one under a different name already, so it's not what I'm looking for.

I've got a YES G.D.O.H. 162 for a true twin/ rockered tip early and late season fun board.
I've got a Ride Concept TMS 164 as a directional twin all mountain/ mixed conditions/ rock board.
And I've got the Crossbow 166 as my bomber and deep day board, which works for pow, but not how I want it to.

So now I want a pow board. Something that isn't a big, stiff plank, or a twin rockered softer board, or an all-mountain board. I want a powder specific board that's appropriate for the east coast.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 8:53pm
still screaming charlie.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 10:39pm
Get  any of these mentioned sticks  that meets your specifics , ride it . If it doesn't work for you sell it.Try another
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 10:55pm
I'm a fan on the Salomon Powder Snake.
Super simple, super fun. Quite light too!
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 6:30am
Originally posted by spenser

still screaming charlie.

and spenser has one from last year to sell you.... do it.
MOAR powderz plz!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote exastronaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 11:06am
I found a used Charlie 164 for less $ than cm, so I couldn't pass it up. I'll get out on it this season and see how it goes. Maybe next year I'll get a new board, but this frees up some money to drop on new bindings. Thanks for everyone's suggestions/ advice. It's going to be interesting since I've never owned a true pow deck before. I can't wait to get out on it!
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 12:34pm
prepare to see the light
MOAR powderz plz!
 Post Reply Post Reply