Overly Priced Lame Resort Season Passes

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jamers99 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jamers99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overly Priced Lame Resort Season Passes
    Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 1:00pm
I feel like my local resort is charging too much for the type of winters we have here..
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 1:02pm
Lol there aren't any better ones within an hour's drive?
My season pass is for a relatively small hill. But they got the best park in the province and only 15 minutes away from home :D

What's the name of this lame hill you're stuck with?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 1:03pm
how do you think they pay for all of it?  power?  buildings?  employees?  insurance?  leasing the land (if they don't own it)?

there are a lot of costs that go into the price of a season pass. $250 is pretty damn cheap even if you are riding a tiny hill.  what is that, $50 a month?  that's cheaper than a lot of memberships to other facilities that probably offer less to the customer, while also not requiring as much to have the place up and running.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 1:27pm
$250 and you are pissed?? 

My local mountain is $550 for an adult season pass..  And it is also tiny.

But I understand. Like Spence said, it is not cheap to run a mountain.  Insurance is outrageous.  Employees and their benefits are a killer. And not to mention the actual cost to maintain a hill and keep it packed with snow.

My little mountain just did a bunch of upgrades, which they are stiill working on.  Construction workers have been there for at least 8 months.  Adding new lifts, upgrading the lounge etc...

Snowboarding/Skiing isn't a cheap hobby.

bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 1:37pm
I rather ride at a small hill with no people on it and have it to myself and 250 for a season pass is a real steal, considered that cheap compare to other hills offering season passes at $699+ up..how do you expect a resort to stay open and be in business they have utilities,etc and workers to pay for you to play.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 1:55pm
Yeah I wouldn't be to pissed for $250.  You'd pay that for  2 days at Vail... unless you got the Epic Pass then it's 10 days for $520.  It might not be resort riding but at least it's riding.  
BunnySloper View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Love my new Bern helmet!

Quote BunnySloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 2:20pm
Seriously?
$250 and you are pissed? They still have to cover their overhead you know, like Spenser has mentioned. If you have any clue of how a business operates, you would understand that with limitation in capacity, the markup has to be higher just to break even let alone making a margin.
In Pacific NW for part of the 2012/2013 Season.
shredhead16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 2:42pm
Seriously 250, my hill, only a 250 vertical charges 390 if you buy it in June and 500+ if you buy it only a little before the season starts.
you can win awesome prizes, just click the link below!
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 2:45pm
< ="application/x-relevantknowledge" id="pluginBm" ="true">yea my local hill - 1:15 away charges about $500 for a season pass.  takes about 10 sec to come down the hill.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Lux

Lol there aren't any better ones within an hour's drive?
My season pass is for a relatively small hill. But they got the best park in the province and only 15 minutes away from home :D

What's the name of this lame hill you're stuck with?
Where are you talking about? Blue Mountain has the best park? The pass there is something like $500 was it?
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 3:24pm
like spenser said, it cost alot of money to run a functional place. TO the naked eye, its only the lift and employee but there is alot of maintaince cost associated
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 3:54pm
Jamers profile says they are from Omaha NE. The closest place is Mt. Crescent Ski Area. 300 ft vert. 9 runs, and a handful of lifts. Although, it does say there is a halfpipe (rare IMO for a place that small).

I fully understand your pain on the small hill "resort". I am from Ohio. I get it. It sucks, but 250 really isn't that bad. My local place that is 300ft vert, 30 inches of annual natural snowfall, and icy as hell is 450 for a season pass.

mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 4:15pm
There is an easy answer to that....don't get a season pass.

/sarcasm
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 4:22pm
It is expensive to run a mountain but it is also supply and demand. If there is no where else to go you can charge more.  In the Chicago land area you have tiny hill that charge 40 - 50 bucks a lift ticket, but if you go 3 hours away you can get twice the vertical for the same price.  
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 5:00pm
$250 for a season pass is pretty cheap. Most ski resorts in California charge $300 for a small resort and usually $700+ for a bigger resort.
And like most people said, the ski resorts need to make a living. The money is used to pay for electricity, snow-making, running the lifts, equipment, etc.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 5:33pm
mt. crescent?...yeah, that's pretty bad.  Don't know if I'd even bother snowboarding there.  I'd probably just save my money for trips to CO.

my local mtn also charges $250.  Seemed exp at first, but it's actually a half decent mtn w/ the some occasional steep, challenging terrain and a massive amount of natural snow (usually). 

However, we're also in the boonies so they added a ton of perks to the pass to draw customers.  The dude that used to co-own Kirkwood bought our resort two years ago and he's pretty good with the marketing, but the low prices are definitely not helping improve the crappy lifts.  Fact is, if I took advantage of every perk that comes with this pass, they'd be paying me to ride there.
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 5:53pm
This thread made me laugh Smile

our season pass is about 1400 and its only open for 4 months....4.5 if its a good season (3.5 if its shit house)
**edit sorry...it was 1500

250 = 2.5 days single day pass (adult) at my local 
250 = barely enough to cover the petrol costs to drive to my local mountain back two times (6 hours 1 way)

130 = national park pass to even drive up to the mountain...so 2 years natural park pass = 1 season pass

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by humdingaling

our season pass is about 1400 and its only open for 4 months....4.5 if its a good season (3.5 if its shit house)
250 = barely enough to cover the petrol costs to drive to my local mountain back two times (6 hours 1 way)
130 = national park pass to even drive up to the mountain...so 2 years natural park pass = 1 season pass

Holy ....
Mines is 300 and it's pretty decent . Mt high ! (: best part is its only like an hour and 15 away. I can go surfing in the morning and board at night .
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 6:26pm
^how much is an individual pass? 
utknate View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote utknate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 6:35pm
My hill is 250 before mid Nov, then it's 300.

Ober Gatlinburg. it's got like 9 runs and 550' vert. longest run is right 4400'
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 6:37pm
it was about 115 single day...don't ever actually just buy 1 day
~220 for 2 days

ps you do get discounts for buying early or buying more
this is full price but still its an expensive sport here

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 7:18pm
hearing the cost of these lifts are making me wanna cry and quit snowboarding.
I always knew this was an expensive interest but not this crazy
$1500
nice.
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 7:56pm
I paid $340 for Bear Mountain sunday to friday pass. I think normal price is $400.  Mammoth charges almost $800 for a season pass. 
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 7:58pm
Im paying 429 for a college student price at Arizona Snowbowl... Arizona..
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 1:49am
Blue Mountain in Collingwood, ON. is a pretty big rip-off too.  The longest run is about 2 minutes, not even.

• Super Pass Info
  • Pass Benefits
  • Pass Pickup
  • Valid Ski Days
  • At A Glance

Early Bird
August 31 - November 1, 2012
Prices +tax
Regular
Starting November 2, 2012
Prices +tax
Purchase Now
Youth Super Pass*
$449
$589
Buy Online
Adult Super Pass*
$599
$739
Buy Online
Senior Super Pass*
$449
$589
Buy Online
Access & Restrictions:
Valid for lift access during all operating hours for the 2012/2013 winter season, weather and conditions permitting. Night skiing is scheduled to start Thursday, December 13, 2012 and end Sunday, March 17, 2013. All rates and dates can change without notice.
* Adult rate (ages 18 - 64), youth rate (ages 6 - 17) and senior rate (ages 65+) as of September 1, 2012.
Tiny Tyke FREE for kids ages 5 and under as of September 1, 2012 with Adult Super Pass purchase.

Thus why I go for the 5x7, the price is going up over the years but still the more affordable option.

• 5x7® Pass Info
  • Pass Benefits
  • Pass Pickup
  • Valid Ski Days
  • At A Glance

Early Bird
August 31 - November 1, 2012
Prices +tax
Regular
Starting November 2, 2012
Prices +tax
Purchase Now
5x7® Pass
$199
$299
Buy Online
5x7® Pass with rentals
$379
$569
Buy Online
Access & Restrictions:
Valid for lift access Monday to Friday 9 AM – 10 PM and Saturday & Sunday from 4:30 – 10 PM. Excludes access between 9 AM - 4:30 PM from December 24, 2012 to January 4, 2013. Passes are valid for lift access, weather and conditions permitting. Night skiing is scheduled to start Thursday, December 13, 2012 and end Sunday, March 17, 2013. All rates and dates can change without notice.
Tiny Tyke $10 for kids ages 5 and under as of September 1, 2012 with Adult 5x7® Pass purchase.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 1:52am
1800 inc. tax at my loca for a season passl. Although it is the best resort in north america. LOL
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 3:32am
The cost of a season pass is relative.  If you're going to go there anyway, you just need to figure out if it is cheaper to get a season pass, or buy individual tickets.  $250 really isn't bad unless day tickets are like $10, which they probably aren't.  
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 6:13am
Originally posted by spenser

how do you think they pay for all of it?  power?  buildings?  employees?  insurance?  leasing the land (if they don't own it)?

there are a lot of costs that go into the price of a season pass. $250 is pretty damn cheap even if you are riding a tiny hill.  what is that, $50 a month?  that's cheaper than a lot of memberships to other facilities that probably offer less to the customer, while also not requiring as much to have the place up and running.

Your mountain is probably the best bang for the buck @ $500, huh spenser?

Is eaglecrest season passes cheaper than the usual resort of similar size/lift capacity because it's owned by the local government body? You'd think it'd be higher because you have a relatively small population and don't get as much winter tourism as more accessible areas like CO or CA.
Are they still talking about making it private? I remember reading an article about that last year.
mao mao View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mao mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 6:23am
Originally posted by MathiasM

Im paying 429 for a college student price at Arizona Snowbowl... Arizona..

Woooo! Snowbowl is where I learned how to snowboard :)
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 6:26am
All this talk about ICE makes me soooo happy I happen to live in/near Tahoe.  I guess I start to take it for granted, but thanks for the reminder how good we have it.
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 7:53am
Amen to that.

My Sugar Bowl pass was $400. It's not the biggest mtn in Tahoe, but 1500 ft vert and 1500 acres is pretty good.

I think it just depends how much a day lift ticket is and how often you go. Northstar tickets are close to $100 a day this season, so those Epic passes seem like an amazing deal. 4 trips and it pays for itself.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 7:58am
The 5x7 pass is cheaper than I thought it would be but I still hate how they have the time restrictions of going during the nights only on the weekend.  It gets pretty dangerous driving back at night when you're all tired, esp when the weather starts to get worse. Also a really long drive too, unless you live off the 400 save you 20-45mins.
I'm gonna have to double check lift tickets on the per day cost again.
$199...
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 7:59am
$400 to Sugar Bowl probably with some blackout days right?

Maybe that's what we're not getting across, that ALOT of days we simply can't ski/board in Tahoe due to blackout days, like every Saturday at Northstar.

Are blackout days normal at the ice-coast and/or mid-west resorts?
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 8:13am
I think I paid $380 for the epic tahoe value pass..good for northstar, heavenly, and kirkwood with some blackout dates and some saturday restrictions. great deal for me since i wouldn't go on those restricted day anyways. and i get to ride 3 resorts!
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 8:45am
I just crunched the numbers, and my pass is paid for after about 8-9 days.  I'm hoping for 15-20, so all in all, a pass's price is what you make of it.

I used to ride every once in a while at a tiny little hill (Lookout Mountain, on the MT/ID border).  It was dirt cheap ($20 or so a day for college students), it usually had pow, it always had good coverage, and it was in Pacific Time (hour to sleep in! yay!).

Now, did all those benefits out weigh the fact that it had less than a thousand vert, long, slow lifts, and not a lot of great terraign?  Not usually.  But it was a good place to hone our skills when we were just starting out, and when we got bored, we rode trees, so we got good quickly.

TL;DR - Your hill is what you make of it.  Pass or not, find ways to ride harder.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 8:55am
i average 50 or so days a year with maybe 10 of those days off pass.  So 40 days, for even a $650 Epic pass, translated to about $17 a day.  

$250 isn't bad.  
-zakk

Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 9:09am
Originally posted by robnezz23

$400 to Sugar Bowl probably with some blackout days right?

Maybe that's what we're not getting across, that ALOT of days we simply can't ski/board in Tahoe due to blackout days, like every Saturday at Northstar.

Are blackout days normal at the ice-coast and/or mid-west resorts?
Yeah, no Saturdays in Jan/Feb and blacked out on the holiday weekends (new years, MLK etc).  I don't ride those weekends anyway becasue it's a zoo and the traffic is terrible.  I do get discounts any day that isn't included.

I probably get 20-25 days a year, so it saves me money, although around 10 of those are at other resorts (I stay with friends in Reno and on the West shore).

julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 9:24am
If there was a hill with lifts that closeby for that cheap I would not be complaining.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 9:51am
My local small resort is 300 but for early bird it's 200 on sale.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
sevenstarsfall View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sevenstarsfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 10:04am

It's only $40 more to get a Tahoe Local which includes Saturdays to all 3 resorts and only has 11 blackouts.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 10:04am
i think us cali ppl are spoiled by the prices.. LOL
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 10:24am
I think you may have just jinxed us, lightening80. If there is a significant raise in season pass prces next season I'm blaming you.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 10:53am
I certainly wouldn't call it lame by any means, as a matter of fact it's a great mountain, but I think Stowe owns the overpriced resort season pass rate @ $1,653, especially when a pass at Smuggs, just on the other side of the mountain can be had for $449 early season.  How much is it worth to you to have high speed lifts and valet parking?  Not $1,200 in my book, but then again, I'm not a plastic surgeon from Boston...different strokes I guess.

It is good to see some VT resorts getting together and offering combined pass options this season, hopefully that trend continues.  I doubt it will every happen but an epic type VT pass would be very nice to say the least!
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 12:40pm

All this talk about ICE makes me soooo happy I happen to live in/near Tahoe.  I guess I start to take it for granted, but thanks for the reminder how good we have it.

Yeah..hey, no problem! LOL

Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 11:06am
Originally posted by humdingaling

OUCH!!!!!....you win. Going to think about this post next time i want to complain about my $90 day pass....
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 11:40am
@ Blue we got $69 Full day pass
$59 afternoon to close starting at 12:30
$49? night passs 4:30- close
now i'm considering getting the 5x7 pass for $199
hella a lot cheaper than what I'm seeing in here.
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by jhoang6

Where are you talking about? Blue Mountain has the best park? The pass there is something like $500 was it?

Glen Eden revised their old park and added a new one. It's closer to me too. The one at Blue Mountain is absurdly overcrowded and it's never groomed so it's like moguls the entire time. They also never groomed their runs; I must have went 15+ times and it was usually a waste of time riding on such choppy shit after a 2-hour drive each way. Last year I had the Blue Mountain season pass, but this year I got one for Glen Eden. However, I did buy 4 double downs for Blue Mountain lol... we must shred some day, gents. fj5 and jhoang6, and Von44 is also a Blue Mountain rider.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by jhoang6

@ Blue we got $69 Full day pass
$59 afternoon to close starting at 12:30
$49? night passs 4:30- close
now i'm considering getting the 5x7 pass for $199
hella a lot cheaper than what I'm seeing in here.

^ it was 149 last yr, they introduced some lite one and bumped up the price.
matlk14 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote matlk14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 5:42pm
haha i know what you mean maybe trying moving or a different resort
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 8:51am
Originally posted by keljai

^ it was 149 last yr, they introduced some lite one and bumped up the price.
BS! bumped up the price?

yeah I saw the lite pass they have for $149, its only good during the weekday can't ride on the weekend the friday, saturday and sunday morning
might be worth getting depending on the work schedule, still pending. I should have gotten the pass last year given it was $149 then, but I was in the same position as I am now.. things are pending 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>