2012/13 NCAA Basketball Thread.

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 5>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012/13 NCAA Basketball Thread.
    Posted: May/16/2013 at 7:39am
Are you all following this noise around Andrew Wiggins, or as I call him, the NEXT Lebron James (except this one goes to college).  Being an NCAA fan more than an NBA fan, I am still excited to watch great one and done's play.  I am super glad he is going to Kansas instead of Kentucky.  I think he just locked Kansas for another Big 12 championship. And I now have 3 of my 4 early "1 seeds" predicted for next year - Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 8:34pm
Cuz you based your picks on 6 year olds, or what? That didn't seem to serve much purpose other than to advertise AT&T
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 1:00pm
Omg.. how did I miss this _ this is why I did not win my bracket..Shocked

Fear is the Mind Killer
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2013 at 8:17am
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

I agree that the there were some missed calls, but it appeared that they were intending to let them play, and it was, for the most part fair.  The only ones I really took issue with were the no call on the dieng goaltending, the 3-point foul called on burke when hancock moved under him, and the foul called on burke when he stuffed that layin attempt on the backboard.  Other then those, there were some no-calls both ways with a lot of contact.

Those three calls certainly went the wrong way. I about jumped out of my chair with the defensive foul call when that shooter ran under the guy in the air.. wtf! lol

I loved this game so much.  I didn't really have a horse in the race.  I am a big ten fan, but I've followed Siva and loved his play since he was a freshman, so I found myself cheering both ways.  It was full of excitement throughout.

I actually think when you combine the level of play and competitiveness in both Final Four games and this game, I rank it up near the best ever.  And without any last minute heroics, buzzer beaters or overtime.  I think that is pretty amazing.

Absolutely! I loved watching every moment of the game! No last minute heroics, but it still never really felt like Michigan was out of it til the final minute. Awesome game, and a hell of a way to end the season :) . Still don't like Pitino, but congrats to his players for the win!
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 11:39am

Originally posted by sideways99

Great game so far.  The refs are missing some obvious calls (fouls, kicked balls, etc), how can the NCAA put lousy refs in the Championship game?

Who the hell is Spike Albrecht?

I agree that the there were some missed calls, but it appeared that they were intending to let them play, and it was, for the most part fair.  The only ones I really took issue with were the no call on the dieng goaltending, the 3-point foul called on burke when hancock moved under him, and the foul called on burke when he stuffed that layin attempt on the backboard.  Other then those, there were some no-calls both ways with a lot of contact.

There were a shit-ton of missed and bad calls... and no calls!!  L-ville did a lot of fouling that wasn't called on 'steals'  .. I didn't know  it was legal to slap, grab and scrape the shitt out of ppl to steal the ball...
  Hancocked should have fouled out... but they called what would have been his 4th foul on another player who was not even close to the play..  And he goes on the score 5 or 6 more pts after he should have fouled out. 
  Really really really crappy officiating for a championship game at any level. I would have liked to see the game play out for real and not have been handed to L-ville by the officials late in the game.
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 5:50am
I loved this game so much.  I didn't really have a horse in the race.  I am a big ten fan, but I've followed Siva and loved his play since he was a freshman, so I found myself cheering both ways.  It was full of excitement throughout.

I actually think when you combine the level of play and competitiveness in both Final Four games and this game, I rank it up near the best ever.  And without any last minute heroics, buzzer beaters or overtime.  I think that is pretty amazing.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 5:46am

Great game so far.  The refs are missing some obvious calls (fouls, kicked balls, etc), how can the NCAA put lousy refs in the Championship game?

mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 11:25pm
Was a great game, Albrecht turned it on early but I thought he was weak on the defensive end. Then Hancock once again lights it up. Louisville definitely deserved the win I just wish we could've seen Burke on the court more in the first half
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 7:11pm
I thought Michigan might take it after they ran out to that early lead, but that Hancock kid just started banging threes and all of a sudden, Louisville was down one at the half.  Better team won.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 5:58pm
Game is close. Michigan between use their timeouts wisely. Don't want another "Webber, time out incident"
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 5:49pm

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 5:30pm
Cheater! I thought ya found em online somewhere! haha

Crazy-ass first half comeback by Louisville.. Albrecht was lighting it up! I thought that was gonna open a ton of doors for Michigan's other scorers, then Hancock caught fire and BOOM! The lead was gone. What more could ya ask for from a champ game?!
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by j_lucky84

Where did ya watch em?

Just at home, had them recorded on the IQ box. Man did McGary put on a show for Michigan. 
Redheaderr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Big Sky, Montana

Quote Redheaderr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 10:29am
Good to see some U of M love here! Can't wait for the game tonight.  All I have to say is that they better have worked on their free throw shooting after the last game, that was scary at the end. Go blue!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 7:34am
Last time I checked Michigan was a 4 point underdog.  Good, I like being the underdog.  That said it's another tough matchup for the Wolverines, Louisville plays a similar zone defense than can disrupt U-M's offense.

I'm rooting for the Blue but do not have a lot of confidence in my prediction:

Michigan:  71
Lousiville:  65
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 7:28am
Wichita state deserved to make it all the way but it is just too bad they couldn't hang on or play a better game
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 6:20am
Where did ya watch em?
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 2:25am
Finally watched the games, man I was rooting for Wichita State so bummed they didn't hang on. I'm tipping Michigan to take it, I'm glad I don't have to watch Syracuse I hate watching their zone D
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 8:52pm
This town is going nuts over the Women's Louisville team, as two of their players (the Schimmel girls) are from here.It's cool to have local "celebrities", but I don't follow women's hoops. Perhaps I should check out the champ game to see what all the fuss is about.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 5:54am
I think Louisville takes it just based on the fact that I think they have the more talented team.  Usually the first few minutes of the Finals are very sloppy because the kids are nervous.  Whoever can settle down first and make the plays will be your winner.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 5:19am
Originally posted by chenmt

Michigan will win. Louisville looked lost without ware. They wont be able to press them as well too. Wichita never re-adjusted to full court press but Michigan's backcourt is too good for that. I thought Louisville got a couple borderline calls in the second half that also may have tipped it

I agree Michigan gets lucky with Ware out, it means Louisville's guards can't be as aggressive because they don't have the depth if they get into foul trouble. It will still be a great game as both team our tough.
chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chenmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:42pm
Michigan will win. Louisville looked lost without ware. They wont be able to press them as well too. Wichita never re-adjusted to full court press but Michigan's backcourt is too good for that. I thought Louisville got a couple borderline calls in the second half that also may have tipped it
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 8:22pm
Didn't watch the game but kept an eye on the score...really wondered if Wichita was gonna pull through. Helluva run to make it as far as they did as a 9 seed. Freaking crazy.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 8:10pm

Wow, I had Michigan going to the Elite 8 in my bracket but would have never picked them to go to the finals.  They looked great in the first half and sloppy in the second but still held on to win.

Louisville had quite a battle tonight, too.

My Finals prediction:  Louisville 74  Michigan 65

Yah! Coming back from 12 down in the second half is a notable achievement (and conversely a notable choke for the Shockers.. heh. Shockers).
Mich's game tonight was a bit of a microcosm of their regular season! Looked real good early then fell apart late; but were still able to get the job done. I left the house to do some shopping right around the 17 minute mark in the 2nd half, when Mich was up 11. Was surprised to see a 1 point game when i got home!
I'm skipping class to catch the champ game. The term just started, so plenty of time to catch up lol. The Wolverines cannot play like they did tonight and expect to win on Monday. These teams love to play some up-tempo ball, but I imagine a game in the 60's. Everyone's just gotta be so tired by this point!
Michigan 62. Louisville 67.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 6:54pm
Wow, I had Michigan going to the Elite 8 in my bracket but would have never picked them to go to the finals.  They looked great in the first half and sloppy in the second but still held on to win.

Louisville had quite a battle tonight, too.

My Finals prediction:  Louisville 74  Michigan 65
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 6:51pm
I missed pretty much all of the games today. Caught the end of the Michigan/Cuse game. I know there's 2 decades difference between the Fab Five and now, but seeing that 30-for-30 story made me wanna cheer for em.
While i really have a distaste for Rick Pitino (he just looks like a greasy scumbag to me), I think it's really cool that Louisville was able to continue their momentum despite last week's injury. I'm tryna find a place to watch a recording of the game, but not having much luck.

A Louisville/Michigan champ game should be a good one. Kudos to anyone who has those two in their bracket haha.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 1:06pm
It's the same old story every time. There is a scandal at the school, the school knew about it but didnt do anything. It goes public, then the school denies knowing about it and either supports the scandal and defends it or they take action to try to clear their name
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 11:56am
Pretty seedy stuff.  It seems like they didn't really start taking the behavior seriously until the espn story.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:09am
^yep, and the president and AD not holding him accountable.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 8:23pm
In other news... That Rutgers coach story looks pretty scandalous! Beatin up on kids puttin it all out there for you! Well done, sir.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 1:10pm
His coach is saying that he has totally changed as a person. Apparently he was the quiet one of the team who barely had anything to say, and now he's outgoing and very open to the public about answering any questions. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise for him and changed him for the better. It just so awesome to see someone have such a tragic incident happen to them and come out a better person and turn it into a positive experience. That's really hard to do
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 8:54am

Originally posted by mj2delmenico

Originally posted by Blur510

Was just talking to someone about the timing of this, one or 2 more games till he is eligible to go into the NBA draft. He was almost a millionaire.  

And if he makes it back and into the NBA he'd make a great 30 for 30 success story
That is true, and this is something you can theoretically make it back from, but it will take years to get back to the shape he was in before that play.  So his potential for lifetime earnings is so severely decreased.  Maybe the Blazer's will draft him and give him a million dollars anyway.  He'll probably give us more minutes than Oden.

I guess the overall assessment now is that it should be healed in 6 months and in theory, he could see the court again next season.  can't believe that was a clean break.  
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 6:38am

Originally posted by xxbeachbum0804xx

Good ole mike rice.

I can't believe he made past Tuesday with all of that video evidence.  I am glad that AD took personal accountability and apologized when he finally fired him.

And I guess I didn't look into this as much.  The AD new about this over a year ago, I thought it was news to him.  Now he's out. Deservedly.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 11:20am
Originally posted by xxbeachbum0804xx

Good ole mike rice.

I can't believe he made past Tuesday with all of that video evidence.  I am glad that AD took personal accountability and apologized when he finally fired him.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 11:14am
^yes, but that is the way a lot are when their team loses, or their bracket no longer has a chance.  This is going to be a great final four though.  Much better than usual.

steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 10:54am
Ever since Kansas got knocked out I have not watched a single game and I don't care about this tournament anymore. I guess you could say I'm a sore loser.
xxbeachbum0804xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xxbeachbum0804xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 9:35am
Good ole mike rice.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 10:09am

Was just talking to someone about the timing of this, one or 2 more games till he is eligible to go into the NBA draft. He was almost a millionaire.  

And if he makes it back and into the NBA he'd make a great 30 for 30 success story

Speaking of 30-for-30, I watched their episode on the Fab Five over the weekend. Very good story, and the utter racism of UM "traditionalists" was nothing short of shocking. When they were going over a couple of the letters sent in from their alumni, the verbiage used sounded more circa 1960 than 1990. Bball has really come a long way since that time, but it was terribly humbling.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 8:45am
^ I did read that some experts believed that he might have had a pre-existing hairline fracture or pathology that contributed.  If you watch it (and granted, I only watched it once, that was enough), it looks like he should have just turned his ankle.  For something that catastrophic to happen without direct impact is just crazy.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 9:42am

That is true, and this is something you can theoretically make it back from, but it will take years to get back to the shape he was in before that play.  So his potential for lifetime earnings is so severely decreased.  Maybe the Blazer's will draft him and give him a million dollars anyway.  He'll probably give us more minutes than Oden.

haha, you're right. I heard Blazers are known for giving money away for free. But so are the Lakers, aka Luke Walton
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 8:24am
Originally posted by jstgermain

Louisville has it...yeah Michigan looked really good against Florida but they should of never even beat Kansas. Syracuse zone D too good and I'm thinking Louisville Syracuse in the final.

Beilein will have them prepped for the Zone.  I would have said that about Indiana too though.  I think they have solutions, and will turn syracuse over more than other teams have this year.  So I might be slightly on the Michigan side.  However, I think it will be a great game.  And even though I have louisville winning my bracket, I am probably be rooting for Wichita state, because that would be exciting for them to continue their run.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 8:21am

Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 2:32am

Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 10:15pm
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 8:06pm
That I jury is such a freak accident cuz it very rarely happens in bball. I don't even know of another incident like it, especially to the extent where the bone is more than 2 inches sticking out of the skin. Very horrible, rehab is going to be painful and a humbling experience for him. I wish him the best of luck
jstgermain View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jstgermain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 12:58pm
Louisville has it...yeah Michigan looked really good against Florida but they should of never even beat Kansas. Syracuse zone D too good and I'm thinking Louisville Syracuse in the final.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 12:52pm
I think any of the final four teams can do it.  If I were betting, I'd take louisville against the field, but any one of those teams can win if the bring their A game.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 12:05pm

Originally posted by Geez

Really feel for that kid on Louisville.  That was the most gruesome sports injury I have ever seen.  Hope he has a fast recovery and is able to play again.

A shocking injury, have seen a few similar in AFL and soccer. It's never good to see anything like that in sports he's going to have a very tough recovery 

That is such a bad injury, I hope he recovers from it, I read somewhere that the medical bill is going to be outrageous, I wonder if his school will pay for the surgery.

Athletics programs have medical coverage similar to workers comp, so yes they will.  I am glad he doesn't have to worry about covering 20% copay in addition to all the work that is going to get done.

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 10:02am
Originally posted by mluu003

Originally posted by nifeblade

I think Michigan is gonna win the whole thing behind Trey Burke. Initially I thought it was gonna be IU or even OSU .. (im a B1G Ten homer i know) ... any other picks for national champion?

Dude Michigan killed it yesterday, I still can't believe they blew away Florida by 20 points. I think they are playing amazing this year, they might go all the way.

A Louisville/Michigan match-up wouldn't surprise me too much. But hell, at this point throwin Wichita State into the mix wouldn't surprise me! They're playin' possessed! My bracket(s) is/are completely shot. Gonna owe $5 to my gf for her office pool (she covered my entry when they set it all up).. boooo :((
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 8:54am
I saw online somewhere that the bill is estimated at around 67,00 but I have no idea how accurate that estimate is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>