Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 2345>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Online Status: Offline
  Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012/13 NCAA Basketball Thread.
    Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 6:26am
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 1:19pm
Between Harvard and La Salle, many of my brackets are looking nice and red-penned. Yuck!
My work bracket was only hurt into the sweet 16 by K State dropping. Everything else is still looking good (knock on wood). Office team that wins gets a bowling trip paid for by the company (not as good as $$, but I'm all for anything free :D ).
Got a $5 competition with my gf's work bracket. Had K state into the E8 in that one.. BUMMER DOOD!
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 1:20pm
Bruce Weber does it again! K-State goes down
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2013 at 5:06am
It probably killed a lot of brackets (including mine), but I was rooting for Florida Gulf Coast.... they were flying all over the court and that one dude was dunking in traffic every time I looked up. 
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2013 at 5:55am
The FGCU game was great. I am looking forward to the Michigan VCU game today. Can Michigan handle the press?
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2013 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Geez

It probably killed a lot of brackets (including mine), but I was rooting for Florida Gulf Coast.... they were flying all over the court and that one dude was dunking in traffic every time I looked up. 

I'll take a hit to my bracket to watch some guys play some absolutely electric basketball. THey're a very talented squad, and exhibited exceptional teamwork last night. Hoping they become the first 15 seed to win 2 in a tourney. That part of my bracket is bombed until next round anyway.. so GO EAGLES!
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2013 at 11:50pm
Zags bombing out!! Questions about them being overrated and not worthy of the 1 seed and now they'll face criticism for a poor showing in the tourney
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2013 at 10:20am
How about Craft making up for a poor last 5 minutes, by hitting the game winner. Big Ten has three teams in the sweet 16 already and Indiana is rolling early.  
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2013 at 12:18pm
I was sleeping [off a hangover] when the Ohio State game was on, but I did catch the highlights/recap. That was clutch!

Always rough to be the first #1 seed ousted from the tourney. Zags slow starts in recent years in the tourney have been their achilles heel. They suffered from one last night but were able to recover, until $#!++ing the bed again.
Indiana came very close to being the second #1 upset of the weekend. Temple put on a great show, but just got cold.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2013 at 5:48pm
^ Yeah, Temple was game, but Indiana executed in the final minutes to sneak out with a win.  Looks like LaSalle has to carry the torch for Philly hoops.  Tyrone Garland with the "Southwest Philly Floater" for the win over Ole Miss.
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2013 at 12:59am
A few good runs from lower ranked teams, Oregon, FGCU, La Salle and even Wichita State are having great tourneys although I can't see any of them making it to the final 4
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2013 at 10:04am
Originally posted by mj2delmenico

A few good runs from lower ranked teams, Oregon, FGCU, La Salle and even Wichita State are having great tourneys although I can't see any of them making it to the final 4

I absolutely think that La Salle or Wichita state can make it to the final four.  Since they are playing each other next round, one of them will have the right to take on (probably) Ohio State with a chance to win the region.  OSU locks down people and makes them take bad shots.  La Salle and Wichita state both can shoot the lights out and can steal some transition points, so whoever it is will be big underdogs, but have a shot.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2013 at 10:05am
I just got back from Vegas where I have been immersed in the tournament.  It has been awesome.  I love march.  I am glad I only went for the first round this year, instead of the two weeks I spend last year.  Much better for the liver this way.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2013 at 7:03am
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

I absolutely think that La Salle or Wichita state can make it to the final four.  Since they are playing each other next round, one of them will have the right to take on (probably) Ohio State with a chance to win the region.  OSU locks down people and makes them take bad shots.  La Salle and Wichita state both can shoot the lights out and can steal some transition points, so whoever it is will be big underdogs, but have a shot.

I wouldn't count Ohio State as a lock in their game against Zona. The Wildcats have been playing some really good ball this tourney. Though their opponents haven't been proverbial powerhouses, Harvard was definitely riding a high after taking out UNM; Zona extinguished that in a hurry. Add to that they're playing a lot closer to home than the Buckeyes, and I'd give them a fair shot. Ohio State would still likely win 4-5 out of 7 games against Zona, but in a one-and-done format, this is anyone's game.

No one seems to be giving FGCU a chance in their game against Florida. If they continue playing ball like they have, they can (and likely would) beat almost anyone in this tournament. Florida has been destroying their opponents in this tourney, and hasn't been tested with a close game yet. Despite winning both games by 10 points, FGCU certainly had to execute down the stretch to win by those margins. They're certainly athletic enough to hang with the Gators. If they keep it close, I'd really give the edge to FGCU. If the 3's fail to drop for the Eagles though, this one could get ugly real quick.

One thing's for sure..I'm not missing the end of any more Marquette games.. Those guys have stopped short of nothing to keep in this thing... VERY exciting ball!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2013 at 7:12am
yeah.  I think the games today will be very exciting.  I will bet my house on Ohio State.  Arizona just hasn't seen that type of defense all year, and I think they are going to fall apart.

But LaSalle/Wichita state will be and awesome game as well.  Glad I am sick today.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2013 at 11:04am
The other thing I am getting a kick out of is these firings.  UCLA and Minnesota both fired good coaches and won't be able to get someone as good now that Smart is staying at VCU.  

I think it would be funny if Minnesota signed Ben Howland, and UCLA signed Tubby Smith.  They would actually be really good for each others program.

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2013 at 11:56am
UCLA hiring Tubby Smith wouldn't be a bad hire at all. I didn't follow Howland enough to comment on that one.
LaSalle vs. Wichita State is just a great story. It doesn't prep either for facing Ohio State in the next round though. An Elite 8 run is a great accomplishment for either school, especially with Wichita St taking out the Zags (frowny face) in the process.

Miami's center (Reggie Johnson) just had some minor knee surgery, and is out tonight against Marquette. Should be back for final-4 games (assuming the Canes make it that far). He hasn't put up huge numbers, and Miami's pretty deep at that position. This might just be it for the Screaming Eagles.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2013 at 4:49am
Was definitely surprising to see Miami and Indiana dispatched the way they were.  I think the eventual winner will come from the games tonight (Louisville, Duke and Mich St. all have to be favorites, unless they completely beat up on each other to get out of that region).
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2013 at 5:03am

Was definitely surprising to see Miami and Indiana dispatched the way they were.  I think the eventual winner will come from the games tonight (Louisville, Duke and Mich St. all have to be favorites, unless they completely beat up on each other to get out of that region).

I agree Miami and Indiana were down early and never made a come back. I couldn't believe how much Indiana struggled with the zone. I thought with 4 or 5 days to prepare Creen would have them ready as they have the shooters to take advantage of a zone.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2013 at 6:54am
I'm just gonna keep stickin my foot in my mouth making predictions lol. Marquette came out firing last night; was absolutely winning the battle of the boards (they got a LOT of height on that team, which I did not previously realize).

But you came pretty close to losing your house in the Zona/OSU game, Leroy lol. "Arizona hasn't seen that type of defense all year"... that still allows em to put up 70. You picked the winner, I'll give ya that, but it was a lot closer than I know you expected it to be!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2013 at 7:27am
^Shocked to see how easily they manufactured shots...and they were dead on, nearly the whole game.  OSU was able to finally turn them over in the second half.

Did not think I would see a marquette/syracuse regional championship after how those teams played the last two weeks of the regular season.

Now my dream of 4 Big Ten teams in the Final Four is dead.  Still got Michigan State locked in for tonight, and Michigan has a swinger's chance.

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2013 at 12:08pm
i have MSU over duke in a couple brackets. Both teams should be sufficiently rested, so now it's just a question of who travels better!

I thought La Salle was gonna take the game against WSU last night. I had forgotten how solid they looked in their earlier matches. Given Wichita took out the Zags, but the Zags straight up looked like shit that game. Ah well... still lovin the big-seed stories!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2013 at 7:50pm
Ya put up a good fight tonight, FGCU. It just wasn't enough. Way to make history all the same :).
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2013 at 2:58pm
Syracuse back in the Final Four for the first time since Carmelo and Hakim Warrick in 2003.  Man has it been that long?  I feel old.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 1:24pm
It's so much better when there are lots of Cinderella stories of super low seed teams taking out the top 3 teams :-)
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 2:49pm
Go blue! Back in the final four for the first time since 1994. Also prayers for Ware on that nasty leg injury.  
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 5:23pm
Really feel for that kid on Louisville.  That was the most gruesome sports injury I have ever seen.  Hope he has a fast recovery and is able to play again.
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 5:39pm
when that guy broke his leg it reminded me of joe namath when he broke his leg. but joes was becuase he got hit.
nifeblade View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nifeblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 10:42pm
I think Michigan is gonna win the whole thing behind Trey Burke. Initially I thought it was gonna be IU or even OSU .. (im a B1G Ten homer i know) ... any other picks for national champion?
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 12:16am

Really feel for that kid on Louisville.  That was the most gruesome sports injury I have ever seen.  Hope he has a fast recovery and is able to play again.

A shocking injury, have seen a few similar in AFL and soccer. It's never good to see anything like that in sports he's going to have a very tough recovery 
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 7:34am
Originally posted by nifeblade

I think Michigan is gonna win the whole thing behind Trey Burke. Initially I thought it was gonna be IU or even OSU .. (im a B1G Ten homer i know) ... any other picks for national champion?

Dude Michigan killed it yesterday, I still can't believe they blew away Florida by 20 points. I think they are playing amazing this year, they might go all the way.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 7:35am

A shocking injury, have seen a few similar in AFL and soccer. It's never good to see anything like that in sports he's going to have a very tough recovery 

That is such a bad injury, I hope he recovers from it, I read somewhere that the medical bill is going to be outrageous, I wonder if his school will pay for the surgery.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 8:54am
I saw online somewhere that the bill is estimated at around 67,00 but I have no idea how accurate that estimate is.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 10:02am
Originally posted by mluu003

Originally posted by nifeblade

Dude Michigan killed it yesterday, I still can't believe they blew away Florida by 20 points. I think they are playing amazing this year, they might go all the way.

A Louisville/Michigan match-up wouldn't surprise me too much. But hell, at this point throwin Wichita State into the mix wouldn't surprise me! They're playin' possessed! My bracket(s) is/are completely shot. Gonna owe $5 to my gf for her office pool (she covered my entry when they set it all up).. boooo :((
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Blur510

That is such a bad injury, I hope he recovers from it, I read somewhere that the medical bill is going to be outrageous, I wonder if his school will pay for the surgery.

Athletics programs have medical coverage similar to workers comp, so yes they will.  I am glad he doesn't have to worry about covering 20% copay in addition to all the work that is going to get done.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 12:52pm
I think any of the final four teams can do it.  If I were betting, I'd take louisville against the field, but any one of those teams can win if the bring their A game.
jstgermain View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jstgermain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 12:58pm
Louisville has it...yeah Michigan looked really good against Florida but they should of never even beat Kansas. Syracuse zone D too good and I'm thinking Louisville Syracuse in the final.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 8:06pm
That I jury is such a freak accident cuz it very rarely happens in bball. I don't even know of another incident like it, especially to the extent where the bone is more than 2 inches sticking out of the skin. Very horrible, rehab is going to be painful and a humbling experience for him. I wish him the best of luck
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 10:15pm
Was just talking to someone about the timing of this, one or 2 more games till he is eligible to go into the NBA draft. He was almost a millionaire.  
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 2:32am

Was just talking to someone about the timing of this, one or 2 more games till he is eligible to go into the NBA draft. He was almost a millionaire.  

And if he makes it back and into the NBA he'd make a great 30 for 30 success story
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 8:21am

And if he makes it back and into the NBA he'd make a great 30 for 30 success story
That is true, and this is something you can theoretically make it back from, but it will take years to get back to the shape he was in before that play.  So his potential for lifetime earnings is so severely decreased.  Maybe the Blazer's will draft him and give him a million dollars anyway.  He'll probably give us more minutes than Oden.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 8:24am
Originally posted by jstgermain

Louisville has it...yeah Michigan looked really good against Florida but they should of never even beat Kansas. Syracuse zone D too good and I'm thinking Louisville Syracuse in the final.

Beilein will have them prepped for the Zone.  I would have said that about Indiana too though.  I think they have solutions, and will turn syracuse over more than other teams have this year.  So I might be slightly on the Michigan side.  However, I think it will be a great game.  And even though I have louisville winning my bracket, I am probably be rooting for Wichita state, because that would be exciting for them to continue their run.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 9:42am

That is true, and this is something you can theoretically make it back from, but it will take years to get back to the shape he was in before that play.  So his potential for lifetime earnings is so severely decreased.  Maybe the Blazer's will draft him and give him a million dollars anyway.  He'll probably give us more minutes than Oden.

haha, you're right. I heard Blazers are known for giving money away for free. But so are the Lakers, aka Luke Walton
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 8:45am
^ I did read that some experts believed that he might have had a pre-existing hairline fracture or pathology that contributed.  If you watch it (and granted, I only watched it once, that was enough), it looks like he should have just turned his ankle.  For something that catastrophic to happen without direct impact is just crazy.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 10:09am

Speaking of 30-for-30, I watched their episode on the Fab Five over the weekend. Very good story, and the utter racism of UM "traditionalists" was nothing short of shocking. When they were going over a couple of the letters sent in from their alumni, the verbiage used sounded more circa 1960 than 1990. Bball has really come a long way since that time, but it was terribly humbling.
xxbeachbum0804xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xxbeachbum0804xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 9:35am
Good ole mike rice.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 10:54am
Ever since Kansas got knocked out I have not watched a single game and I don't care about this tournament anymore. I guess you could say I'm a sore loser.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 11:14am
^yes, but that is the way a lot are when their team loses, or their bracket no longer has a chance.  This is going to be a great final four though.  Much better than usual.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 11:20am
Originally posted by xxbeachbum0804xx

Good ole mike rice.

I can't believe he made past Tuesday with all of that video evidence.  I am glad that AD took personal accountability and apologized when he finally fired him.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 6:38am

Originally posted by xxbeachbum0804xx

Good ole mike rice.

I can't believe he made past Tuesday with all of that video evidence.  I am glad that AD took personal accountability and apologized when he finally fired him.

And I guess I didn't look into this as much.  The AD new about this over a year ago, I thought it was news to him.  Now he's out. Deservedly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>