Help naming small snowboard manufactures

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jacquet View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jacquet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help naming small snowboard manufactures
    Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 1:59pm
I'm trying to come up with a list of relatively small (or new) snowboard manufactures...but since they arent exactly well known or publicized it is proving difficult. Can anyone throw some names out there?
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 2:01pm
Thrive Snowboards www.thrivesnowboards.com

Snowboard companies or do they have to produce the boards themselves?

Also a company called Blank Snowboards www.blanksnowboards.com
jacquet View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jacquet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 2:11pm
Both are perfect examples of what im lookin for- just some under the radar companies

Boards could be imported it doesn't matter.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 2:16pm
Check out Marhar from Grand Rapids, MI. 

Even AngrySnowboarder likes 'em:

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 2:19pm
wylin from europe.  one of the guys on easyloungin started it.

if you're open to real small brands that are under most people's radars, but are still relevant in the real snowboard industry... something like dinosaurs will die would fit the bill.  they've been around for a while but are still very small and radical.  i could probably think of a few others.

unity and status are two others that come to mind.  there is also a new one starting up from the guy who is one of the better reps in the industry.  http://theinteriorplainproject.com/boards/... not sure if the brand is TIPP or if it's called no promises.
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 5:45am
Lobster was relatively newish, but it could be a real popular brand over in Europe for all I know about it.
jamers99 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jamers99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 5:50am
OZ snowboards make some awesome stuff! Check them out.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 6:59am
Nope snowboards.
I'm assuming it's a reaction to the Yes! snowboards brand.
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 7:53am
I think these guys are pretty small too. They've been around since 1984, but I've only ever seen one person on the mountain with a board from them.

Radical Snowboards
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 8:15am
Stepchild is a relatively small company.   

"Sign up for the Daily give away at Thrive. http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/rp/66964"
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 8:51am
Epic Snowboard, a local new brand from Temecula, CA.

Website looks pretty ghetto though.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 9:43am
Donek
Venture
Powderjet
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 6:24pm
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 6:51pm
Two japanese labels you missed:

Death label get a lot of love in japan particularly from women riders (i see more women boarders on death lbel by far). 

Gentem is your pow heaven board. When you compare them both to US prices i imagine youll have a small fit.

A label thats kinda big but doesnt get the coverage in the US and so might slip under the radar might be endeavor. Their color series sells pretty well in Korea. 

m00m
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 6:54pm
nidecker small?  they have been making boards since '84 and produce jones, yes, slash, and others.  one of the most respected factories out there.  the company has been around since 1887.
gsoccer04 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gsoccer04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 8:42pm
Ramp Snowsports based out of park city

http://www.rampsports.com/store/snowboards.html
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by ippollite

Two japanese labels you missed:

Death label get a lot of love in japan particularly from women riders (i see more women boarders on death lbel by far). 

Gentem is your pow heaven board. When you compare them both to US prices i imagine youll have a small fit.

A label thats kinda big but doesnt get the coverage in the US and so might slip under the radar might be endeavor. Their color series sells pretty well in Korea.
Never heard of those board makers. But I checked them out from your post and they definitely look like something I would ride! Thanks!

Originally posted by spenser

nidecker small?  they have been making boards since '84 and produce jones, yes, slash, and others.  one of the most respected factories out there.  the company has been around since 1887.
Should I have listed Oldenburg too? 
Would that have satisfied you? 
They had been producing Burton boards for 20 years. 
Did you know that? 
Should I quiz you where Oldenburg is now? 
Or should I hire Tom Sims to write my replies from now on? 
Cause you're getting on my nerves picking little fights over useless shit. 
What kind of contribution to the discussion are you offering with your pontificating observation? 
I named foreign brands with small footprints in USA. 
It's irrelevant how 'big' a company is in Europe if there is no American presence to an American shopper.
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Lux

Hit your bank for these non-American brands:
Völkl (Switzerland)- http://www.voelkl-snowboards.com/
F2 (Germany) - http://www.f2.com/snow/
Nidecker (Germany) - http://www.nidecker.com/

actually you got Völkl and Nidecker mixed up
Völkl is german, while Nidecker is swiss....

neither is small by any means!

but if its small you are looking for, try Goodboards
handmade in munich, germany
more tailored to big mtn and big boards.... apologize though, the site is in german, but if you click around, you can still get the specs of the boards....

Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Lux

Should I have listed Oldenburg too? 
Would that have satisfied you? 
They had been producing Burton boards for 20 years. 
Did you know that? 
Should I quiz you where Oldenburg is now? 
Or should I hire Tom Sims to write my replies from now on? 
Cause you're getting on my nerves picking little fights over useless shit. 
What kind of contribution to the discussion are you offering with your pontificating observation? 
It's irrelevant how 'big' a company is in Europe if there is no American presence to an American shopper.

whoa there.  picking fights?  my bad man, i guess that's the nature of text; you can't really pick up on tones very well.  the idea of me trying to pick fights is pretty silly, but we don't know each other so you would have no way to know that.  didn't meant to come off that way, i just don't think of nidecker as a small company so i was questioning it, that's all.
nawsh16 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote nawsh16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 6:10pm
Catalyst Snowboards from Australia.
http://catalystsnowboards.com/
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 6:11pm
hey DTJ, didnt you once link me a board mfg that was kinda the german equivalent of gentem? 

m00m
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Lux

it may be that they have small footprints in america.... but they are by NO means a small operation!

Völkl, Nidecker, Head and Elan are some of the biggest names in the industry, PERIOD! though you might not know them as their real names....

Völkl and Head are really pretty big names in snowboards in europe!
Nidecker and Elan are as well, but specialize in pressing everyone elses boards.....

think (like spenser mentioned) yes and capita......

yes is nidecker, while capita is pressed by elan.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by ippollite

hey DTJ, didnt you once link me a board mfg that was kinda the german equivalent of gentem? 

i might have... but i couldnt be asked to remember which one....
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

Originally posted by Lux

it may be that they have small footprints in america.... but they are by NO means a small operation!

Völkl, Nidecker, Head and Elan are some of the biggest names in the industry, PERIOD!

this is all i was saying with my post...
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 6:54pm

Originally posted by derbytownjoe

Originally posted by Lux

Völkl, Nidecker, Head and Elan are some of the biggest names in the industry, PERIOD!

this is all i was saying with my post...

apparently LUX didnt get that memo either....

i thought i might need to reiterate....

cheers!
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 7:05pm
storm in a tea cup (edit) :) 
m00m
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 9:40pm
holy moly
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 11:35pm
Give peace a chance!  
m00m
Alpinbogen View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Alpinbogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 5:23am
I love my....
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 8:46am
^Goiler?...Loiler?...Coiler? (typestyle needs work)

from the shadow, appears to be an alpine board
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Alpinbogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 1:53pm
That would be Coiler, out of Ontario.  They have "base" designs, but everything is custom ordered, custom made, and top shelf.  Want to add 1cm to the width, stiffen the nose, and use your own graphic?  No problem.  Just don't be in a hurry for delivery.  This one is the NSR2 (New School Race), in 182 cm.  Very fast, fall line seeking deck with titanal dampening (huge at reducing chatter) and current race shape/technology.  This has a progressive sidecut, averaging 17 meter-ish.  Not that I race, but I find it a phenomenal freecarving ride.

"In action" clip, though excuse technical flaws.

Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Alpinbogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 2:08pm
Of course, include Kessler and Oxess snowboards among the elite.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 2:40pm
i would love to try one of those decks.  people rag on alpine/eurocarve riding all the time, but i think it looks fun as hell.  i mean i can carve well on my regular boards, and i love going fast doing long, drawn out eurocarves, but you can't compare to a true carving deck like those.  i dunno if i could deal with the hardboot setup though.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Alpinbogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 3:26pm
Spenser, I don't know where the alpine negativity you refer to comes from.  The only crap I've encountered is online; and typically it's from foul mouthed sheep to some name or brand.  On slope, I've found alpine gear is questioned with enthusiasm.  "Whoa, what is that?!  Are those ski boots?  How do you turn so hard?   How do you carve so low?"  Some days are a baragement of questions in every lift line.

I've been riding 20+ years, most of it on hardboot gear, and remember when at least 1/4 of the riders were on Burton PJ's or similar alpine decks.  The advent of pipes and terrain parks seems to have led younger riders away from that.  The difficulty with alpine gear is that it is such a niche market anymore, that it's impossible to find gear locally, so everything has to be ordered on personal research and blind faith, unless you attend one of the rare sponsored events in the nation where demo gear is available.  Bomber in Silverthorne, CO will still ship hardboot gear on a trial/rental basis. 

No doubt, you can tear it up on softboot gear, but once you get into hardboots, it feels like you're going from a recreational Cessna to an F-22.  Seriously, the edgehold and G-forces are unparalleled, and become what you crave.  The current crop of alpine gear has taken a HUGE technology leap over what it was, even 6 or 7 years ago, and of course you pay for it through the nose now.  But to set an 85 degree edge and be catapulted across the fall line...it's priceless.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 3:43pm
yep, it's mostly online.  mostly people on forums making fun of it, because it's not "normal" or "cool" in the way sliding around on a rail is.  if you ask me, going fast and carving is one of the most awesome things in snowboarding, and one of the most simple.  it takes a whole different skill set to do what you guys do, and i think it's awesome.  maybe some day...

it's not really in my scope because of my riding style and terrain preference, which is powder-freeride oriented.. lots of variable terrain covered in fresh snow.  we definitely get a couple days a year where i'd love to be on a carving deck, though.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 7:05pm
i have an alibi, bought it at zumiez their very underground dont even have a website... was pretty cheap, 250 bills...
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by jacquet

I'm trying to come up with a list of relatively small (or new) snowboard manufactures...but since they arent exactly well known or publicized it is proving difficult. Can anyone throw some names out there?

jacquet, just wondering, why are you trying to compile a list of small, unknown snowboard companies?
jacquet View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jacquet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 10:34am
ive started a conversation about maybe having some small manufacts available at wonsnow. I only knew of a few solid ones myself they are

http://www.crispywhips.com
http://automatonsnowboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/organic-snowboards/21756680955

and i mean its valuable list of info to have. im sure many people had no clue as to what gentem boards were before ip posted, i didn't, and those boards are sick id love to own one.
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 10:37am
crispywhips is awesome, they also make skateboards. They originated in my town
jacquet View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jacquet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 10:48am
haha smoking trees and doing 3s
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 11:02am
Originally posted by jacquet

haha smoking trees and doing 3s

haha yes i have one of those shirts
 Post Reply Post Reply