Can't decide betwen 2 board makers

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
whistler604 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote whistler604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't decide betwen 2 board makers
    Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 1:40pm
Hi, looking for your advice!

I'm a beginner looking to buy my first board and narrowed it down to the HEAD or Burton boards below:

Head Rush Rocka 11/12

Head Fusion Rocka 11/12

Head Ignition Rocka 2011/2012

Burton Clash 2012

I have to admit that i'm strongly leaning towards the Burton Clash mainly because of all the reviews claiming its the ideal starter board. But firstly it's a very soft board and secondly it's the most expensive of them all and at the speed I'm picking up boarding I'm probably going to look for a new board in 2 seasons at most.

Which board do you recommend and how do these boards compare? Also, what size with a soft board?? 158cm or 160cm?

My experience: I boarded for 2 days last year but picked it up very quickly.

I'm 195lbs, 5' 10 and size 10 boots.

If you ask me what I'll use it for, it's really hard to say since i'm just discovering the sport. Fair to say I won;t be going on the halfpipe but will got for everything else, carving, fast runs, little powder, jumps etc. so I need an all around board.

I'm interested in a rocker twin tip.

Thanks!
rideclaps802 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote rideclaps802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 2:25pm
158cm, im 5'11" and ride a 152. shorter is easier to maneuver especially if you ever ride in the woods. I dont know anything about those specific boards but i used to ride a burton twin and i did not like it. i try to stay away from burton because ive never been pleased with their products. I feel as if they dont have the quality to back their prestigious name. Also price doesn't necessarily mean that its going to last you 2 seasons. any board can make it 2 seasons with ptex and wax in my eyes. so you really shouldnt base price on the life span of your board. I would seriously recommend nitro as a company to purchase from. ive ridden their Haze, Subpop, Swindle and all of them (more on the park-side boards) were awesome. hope that helped and you find what youre looking for.
Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Online
  Quote Alkasquawlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by rideclaps802

I dont know anything about those specific boards but i used to ride a burton twin and i did not like it. i try to stay away from burton because ive never been pleased with their products. I feel as if they dont have the quality to back their prestigious name.

Please never give advice again.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote rideclaps802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 4:59pm
oh i'm sorry, i forgot you're Whistler604 and all that advice was directed towards you. 
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 5:02pm
you didnt really give an legit advice rideclaps... l personally never had any trouble with burton, feel their quality is top notch too 
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote rideclaps802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 5:18pm
The point that i was trying to get across to him was that i dont like burton as a company. i used to and i supported them for a few years because being from vt, burton is a home company. but with the amount of disappointment i now have for the company i would not advise people to dump buckets of money into a product that wont get you more than a season. i bought burton products when i first started riding because everyone always talked so highly of the company. if i knew what i know now then i wouldnt have purchased a tshirt from the company. ive had 2 pairs of cartel bindings, one of which snapped around the base plate. the other had numerous strap surgeries. i watched a friend of mine snap his burton custom bindings around the base plate as well. it could just be really bad luck i guess but i choose to blame it on the quality of the comapny. as for the company nitro, ive only ever had good experiences with. and so maybe i didnt give legit advice on the boards he asked about but i tried to give advice. i mean do you really think that this person is going to base his entire purchase on just what i say? feel free to put in your advice on what you think this person should do instead of using your time to tell me what im doing wrong. 
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 6:11pm
Well from the looks of it you pretty much picked out all freestyle/twin/rocker boards. If you dont plan on going into the park this season or next id suggest looking for a camber that is directional or rocker is good to if you want it to be a little playful. With your height and weight id say stay lower at the 158 purely because its easier to learn on shorter boards. The longer you go the harder it is to turn and have fun. But ya try looking around at some of the more directional boards for going on groomers and general cruising.
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 6:12pm
And there is nothing wrong with Burton. Great company. Defined an industry and have great tech in all their boards.
whistler604 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote whistler604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 11:05pm
Thanks for the starter advice guys.. However, still looking for some practical advice.

The reason I'm going with rocker boards is because everyone says they just make turning and generally navigating easy, especially when learning. Also I get the feeling their a little more universal than all-mountain. I'm going with twin tip because I want to learn boarding both ways before I setting into something more directional.

As for the size.. it seems like some of you are recommending a slightly shorter board. the manufacturers suggest 160 for 195lbs but in reality people seem to go for something shorter.

As for the board.. I'm still completely undecided. I'm really looking for some comparison between Head and Burton.

The Head Rush and Fusion and pretty inexpensive boards and their design seems similar to the Burton. But I'm a novice so probably a little naive about what defines boards.
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by rideclaps802

oh i'm sorry, i forgot you're Whistler604 and all that advice was directed towards you. 

I think it was directed more to the fact that you said you used ONE burton item and then labeled all of their gear as poor quality.  Just shows a poor generalization based on a one time experience.  Kind of like saying you hate Burger King for example, when all you have had were their fries.  Next you may try a whopper and say its the best thing since sliced bread.  Now, if you had tested many of Burton's products thoroughly, and gave specific examples on how they did not work for you, then you could make a point.  But still, even then it all comes down to the person, not the brand.  Is burton the best out there?  By all means no, as there really is no answer to which is the best.  Do they make quality gear that many people enjoy?  Most definitely.
shredBATALEON: (4:06 PM) dude jb your being such a dutch bag man
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 12:37am
Give it up guys, stop bickering and attacking each other and give the OP some advice he can actually use.

Honestly, I've only seen Head boards used as very average rental boards. Not one person I know owns a Head board. Not to say they're not well made/ good boards it's just you might not find many people here that can give you good, knowledgable advice on Head. 

You'll find a lot of good advice here on your usual suspects - Burton, Capita, Rome, etc etc.

I was a relative beginner last year -  my first full season (60 days) plus boarding to and from work every day - i worked on the mountain. I'm 6' and 175lb so I'm roughly the same category as you. I'd say as a beginner, wanting to try your hand at everything, you'll be looking at about a 157-59 board. 

I bought a 159 Rome pusher -  reverse camber and I loved it. It was a good size for me to learn on and I really didn't have any complaints about the length until I started in Park as I progressed. The board definitely did the job for me throughout the season.

If you're after an inexpensive rocker/reverse camber have you looked at the Reverse Crew? All those reviews don't lie.

I won one last year and used it towards the end of the season and had a great time on it. 

Anyway, you're definitely on the right track with reverse camber - it did make it harder for me to catch an edge and when you're learning and confidence is crucial, it helps a lot to be less worried about catching an edge.
irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote irish-boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 2:22am
My sierra stunt which is made by burton fell apart, the base completely peeled off! since then i'm not touching burton snowboards again. Their bindings are great, but i don't trust their snowboard manufacture. You can get just as good a boar from rome, ride, forum, head, capita etc for the same, if not cheaper price. Another thing i don't like about burton, they have such a vast array of boards that do, and are intended for the same thing. The blunt, whammy, hero for example are all park boards, yet burton are such a big company they know people will buy them. I know other manufactures may do this but it's sickening looking up boards through the manufacture and seeing Capita (4), Ride (4), Rome (11) Burton (26) K2 (2) Lib Tech (7) etc etc..
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 5:00am
Originally posted by irish-boarder

My sierra stunt which is made by burton fell apart, the base completely peeled off! since then i'm not touching burton snowboards again. Their bindings are great, but i don't trust their snowboard manufacture. You can get just as good a boar from rome, ride, forum, head, capita etc for the same, if not cheaper price. Another thing i don't like about burton, they have such a vast array of boards that do, and are intended for the same thing. The blunt, whammy, hero for example are all park boards, yet burton are such a big company they know people will buy them. I know other manufactures may do this but it's sickening looking up boards through the manufacture and seeing Capita (4), Ride (4), Rome (11) Burton (26) K2 (2) Lib Tech (7) etc etc..

they didn't make the sierra boards to the same quality of their regular boards... just look at the price point.  And its interesting that you hate having a good selection of product to choose from.  you lump the blunt, whammy bar, and hero into the same category yet there are quite a few differences between the 3.  Head makes good stuff and is more well known across the pond.. both brands are solid.. can't really go wrong either way.
MOAR powderz plz!
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 5:52am
Originally posted by whistler604

The reason I'm going with rocker boards is because everyone says they just make turning and generally navigating easy, especially when learning.

On a rocker board the actual effective edge (edge catching the snow) is much smaller so you may have trouble carving from time to time, they can also sometimes bit a bit unstable if you are bombing a run.  But with the smaller effective edge it means you won't catch an edge as easily.  It kind of depends on what you prefer.   

As far as Burton goes, I've had two Burton boards for 5 years on each (now my rock boards) and both have held up great.  I'm not a huge fan of Burton just due to their expensive prices but I have no complaints about the quality of their boards.  I know Burton also has good customer service, I have several friends that have had something break on their Burton bindings and they were out of warranty and Burton still covered them.  
"Sign up for the Daily give away at Thrive. http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/rp/66964"
whitetiger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote whitetiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 8:34am
Never even heard of Head. That's not the same company that makes tennis rackets is it?

Edit> I just looked and saw that they have a bunch of boards for sale here, so I really am oblivious.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 3:40pm
A few quick points: 

1. Burton dont make shit boards. They are the leading name in snowboarding for a reason. Come on now. 

2. Every manufacturer in the world has manufacturing defects. Its just part of the game. Thats why a warranty process exists.

3. Burton stand by their products and give a 1 year (industry standard) warranty on all their hardware.

(If you desire a longer warranty, then make that part of your purchasing decision. Some manufacturers have a longer warranty period. )

4. Burton, tech for tech are comparative on price with every major brand out there. This discussion has been done so many times. Please dont troll the forums with it ;)

5. Sierra boards also have a 1 year warranty. Not only this but you dont even need to send the board in, they can make an adjudication based on decent and VERY CLEAR photographs. As an international who doesnt want to send his board back at my personal cost and then pay for shipping of a new board (ind standard yet again), this is a shtooking good warranty. 

6. Delams are covered by it so long as they arent blatantly caused by impact damage. Impact damage isnt covered by anyone. 

7. I would be amazed if the base just stripped away. I would be even more amazed that they would say its not under warranty ASSUMING the claim was within the 1 year from time of purchase. To be honest, since they appear to be swimming in sierra boards, id be amazed that they didnt just send you a replacement anyways even if you didnt fit the criteria. :) But of course, outside the warranty period means youre shit out of luck (hello my many ipods that seem to self destruct within a few months of the warranty ending). They can warranty it if they want your repeat custom, but its at their discretion.

8. Not sure on their policy pertaining to giveaways, i assume they ARENT covered by warranty since theyre gifts, but will likely be covered on the basis of good will. 

9. If you want a warranty and feel you got a shitty deal, then publicise it. Post pics of the board and complain. Most people on the forums will either laugh at you or sympathise. And if they sympathise then youve probably got a reason to ask for them to have another look at it. If its out of the warranty period though, once again, its at their discretion.
m00m
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 3:53pm
I'm interested to know how irish-boarder managed to peel the bottom of his Stunt off.  I have a Stunt and would like to avoid that happening to me. Confused
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 4:40pm
I've ridden a Head board before...very blah honestly. It was a rental board at Liberty Snowflex. It felt weird but not sure how to describe it...and I can say that now, looking back on it, since it was the first board I was ever strapped in to.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 5:21pm
Dafuq?

Have i just seen watched three videos of three "different" boards all with the exact same specs? 

My mind is boggling. 
All these boards are:

1. All mountain.
2. Twin "with centered stance"
3. poplar wrapped in biaxial
4. Medium flex
5. Detuned.
6. 10 times stone ground base 
7. extruded base.
8. Rocker.

All three of them! im going to have to assume that i missed something important or that theyre all varying in flex and being masked by the words "medium flex". I think i heard one of them being specified as "around a 3.5". So maybe thats it?

But holy shit. All three of them are pretty much the exact same deck with a minor tweak in the flex. MAybe they arent all true twins. Maybe thats it. I should check again. My carefulness is slipping. But i dont wanna watch them again since i already feel like im groundhog day after watching each of them twice to make sure i wasnt losing my mind. That poor dude trying to explain it must have felt the same. 

ETA: just checked. Exact phrasing: "twin shape"... on all three.

Heres what im thinking...

one of them is slightly softer.
One of them isnt detuned (cant quite remember if the ignition was also detuned or not, it was the only one that didnt say "for beginners to intermediates though)). 

So really your choice is between three generic decks. Two come ready detuned, one doesnt. Two are medium flex, one is slightly softer. That seems to be the differences right? 
Oivey. Thats tough. 

So maybe you can narrow it down to one of them? If you want your edges detuned for jibs, or if you want your edge hold as you like it. Rider preference. Ive never detuned so ive no idea what im missing. Youll have to ask someone else about that. 

If you decide you dont want detuning and would rather have the choice to do it yourself, you pick the one without it. 

So, if you DO want them to take care of that for you, then pick the flex you like between the other two. I cant remember which one was softer. I think it was the rush(???? - you can watch the vids for yourself). Theyre both pretty similar i assume though since theyre both given the generic all mountain designation (they likely aint... softish, banana rocker by the looks of it, and detuned from inserts through contacts, not really going to give you amazing edge hold id imagine). 
Either way, pick your poison then go to round two and compare it with the clash or other similar price point boards. 

Hope this helps. Best i could do on such scant info. :)

m00m
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 5:32pm
I just watched all 3 of those right after the other and it sounded like a broken record... all mountain, twin shape, medium flex, rocker profile, beginner to intermediate, 360 edge, detuned 30mm from front contact point, 20mm from rear, poplar biaxial, centred stance, extruded base...

I know how they differ!!!  Graphics... that's it.

Edit:  All 3 had the 30mm/20mm spec, but for the Rush he accidentally said nose twice.  He also said Rush was just beginner, not beginner to intermediate like the other two, so I'm guessing softer as well.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 5:41pm
ah, glad you heard the ignition. COundlnt honestly remember if they said it was detuned or not and really didnt want to watch it again just to check. So er, there you go. Good luck on it. You have even less to work with now to decide between them ;) 

ETA2: Specs reveal ignition is also detuned.

m00m
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 6:17pm
Kinda random but if you look at the way they wrote head on the base... it also says peay... just saying. haha

Post Reply Post Reply