0 Staff | 10 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 397,617 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > Gear Talk : Ask other riders

Quick Login: Forgot password?

From Stiff Camber to Devun Walsh Rocker...

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowsquirrel View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowsquirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From Stiff Camber to Devun Walsh Rocker...
    Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 9:12pm
I have been boarding for almost 20 years now.
* I generally cruise down groomed runs.
* If powder is a available I love it, but it is hard to find here.
* I like to look for jumps along the runs, but rarely enter the park.
* I am lucky to get out 10x a year.

Because I get out so infrequently, I tend to not go for too big of air, as I am always so rusty, sticking a landing can be tough.

As for crusing downhill, I find I can keep up with pretty much anyone.

My last board was an Option Signature SM. The SM stood for Stiff Mother, and it was not exagerration. While I loved the board at high speed is was unforgiving if I didn't stick a landing. I bought it about 6 years ago.

I am in the market for a new board, and have a line on very good deal on a last year model (2012) Devun Walsh Pro. It sounds like it might be a good fit for me. I like a stiff board, and the rocker might be more forgiving on landings... plus I love the graphic on this board .

Getting a rocker board makes me nervous, as it is different than what I am used too, and I am fine riding a camber board. But the thought of easily sticking landings is exciting.

Should I be worried that I will be giving up something for downhill cruising? Am I nuts for getting this board, when it won't see much pow?

Cheers,
~S
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 9:28pm
It wont have the same hold but you should be fine. It will just take a day or two to get use to. I sounds like it is a pretty flat board which will help it more stable. 
I like rocker bc they are a lot more playful. 
I would say get it. It seems like if a person wants to like a board they will if it is close to what they want.
I really liked when I got a Rockered board I could cheat on my spins, When I didn't get it all the way around I would finish it on the ground. 
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 9:31pm
i haven't been on a devun walsh, but i will offer my opinion on rocker vs. camber.  i think that if you're used to camber and love it, it will be a bigger difference than you would hope changing to rocker.  sure, sticking landings may be easier from the standpoint of not catching an edge, but for that same reason (no edge) you tend to wash out more.  i prefer to ride rocker on softer snow, preferably powder, so if you're going to be riding a lot of hard pack or icy conditions, i'd stick with camber.  
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote snowsquirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 5:28am
Yeah, I would say of the 10x I get out 5x would be groomed, 4x would be soft-pack, and 1x would be powder.

The walsh is supposed to be one of the stiffest rocker boards, but it sounds like I am still going to giving up a fair bit of hold.

I am feeling like I should almost hold off (which means missing this deal) and wait for a demo day and try a couple rockers.

Thanks for the advice. If anyone has sat a DW chime in.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 3:45pm
It also matter on how good of deal you are getting. B/c if it is a smoking deal you can get it and try and it and flip it. 
But riding a board is the best way, to know how you feel about it.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote snowsquirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 3:52pm
Deal is is $350 new/shipped. A very good deal, but I ride it once, and I'd be lucky to get $200 I imagine....
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 4:16pm
I'll hold off. $350 might be a deal but is not cheap still. From what u had said, think you'll enjoy a camber board more. So u should try a reverse camber before u buy. Get better at sticking them landings and reward ur self with a new board after.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 8:14pm
Would you have any opportunity to demo a rocker board before the purchase?  At least you won't be totally surprised with the "new feel".  I ride both and there is an obvious difference between the two.  I'm not sure what I like more but it's true what was said above, rocker is definitely more playful.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote snowsquirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 7:17am
I just email the handful of local shops to see if they knew anything about upcoming demo days.

I think I am clear that I shouldn't jump on this offer, and really do a demo.

Thanks for all the help.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 7:18am
^Agree with fj5. Check your local sporting goods/snowboard rental shop. There are some in my area that have weekend demo rentals, where you can try higher end boards from Thurs-Mon. You may not find your Devon Walsh model, but you will at least get some experience on a rockered board to see if you like the difference. I would definitely try one out before I dropped $350 on a board.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 8:46am
Transitioning from a camber to a rocker is noticeable when you first try it especially when getting off the lift but you'll get the hang of it quick.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 6:41pm
I did kind of the same thing but spend much less time riding camber before I made or tried I should say to make the switch. I personally found that rocker was not what I wanted at all I was lucky enough to find this out on a board that I got a slamming deal on used and sold for more then I paid for it. I'd recommend trying a hybrid camber or just a softer camber deck. I love the mervin C2 type profile, I have both the riders choice and AG another good board to look at with a similar camber type is the thrive renegade I just got one I demo'd one last year and loved it.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 8:43pm
I dunno if the whola camber/reverse camber thing is maybe a little overplayed. 
In my third season i picked up my sierrascope and had a blast. I did feel it lacked edge hold and the bite i wanted from camber so i benched it.

Season 4 i role predominantly caber boards - charlie slasher, quiverkiller and the airobic. Id say the quiverkiller saw the most days. Had a great time... but then i had a single day where i switched boards withmy mte who HATED the indoor fk i recommended him (oops). 
It made me remember why i loved playing on the indoor. Sure it still felt a little less on point in chop but honestly it was a blast and so it bought the sierrascope a bit more time.

Which brought us to last season. I picked up the 155 riot. I knew i shouldnt but i was sure i could make it work. I couldnt. It was too small and japan was murdering t in the slackcountry. 
I picked up the Berzerker in January from the dudes here. So benched the riot and had almost all the peak to play on the berzerker before giving up to the aforementioned mate in late Feb.  

But this meant that march, april (hardly saw any days out) and the two days in may were ridden on the sierrascope. And i tell you: I had a blast. The whole loose feeling was utterly gone. It was poppy, in control, stable, and a blast. 

Its still too flexxy for serious charging, and its a bt slow edge to edge compared to the zerker. It also has zero dampening (as i realised being bounced around by the same chop that the UL (on demo) just blasted through). But it was a blast to ride on and i cant really feel my ride was held back or diminished by it. Its just a different ride. Theres some benefits and some drawbacks and it maybe unconsciously affects the way you approach certain features or terrain, but consciously it just feels like riding a snowboard. 

A big part of your decision though is what you want from the board... eek! could have phrased that better... what i mean is the relationship this has with your current ride. Is it an attempt to "upgrade" it, or to sit side by side with it? I think this will give you a reasonable way to manage your expectations.

If you are happy with your current style of ride, and just want something that does that but better, then maybe a switch to reverse camber is gong to be miserable and costly since it probably isnt going to (almost all of his passage notwithstanding), mirror what youre doing now and youll likely only see what it does worse. 

If youre not happy with your current ride, and want to replace it, then reverse camber sounds like its in with a shout. Just as a softer more playful camber ride, or zero camber ride might fit the bill. And therein youll have a world of stuff to figure out. Maybe a change in camber wont of itself be enough for this kind of thing and you should have a wee lookie around before committing just because of a price issue.  

If on the other hand youre just looking for a different style of board to pull out when you want to do the stuff that you feel your main doesnt really let you do all that effortlessly, then maybe the rig has a shout again. In truth id still send you back to the drawing board because theres probably even more fun ways to expand your quiver than just picking up a stiff reverse camber ride to complement your main stiff camber ride (unless of course stiffness is a key factor of yours to be happy). 

Finally, if youre really happy wth your current board and want to have a nice solid reverse camber under your feet, then why not. It brings more to your game and lets you shtook about a little more, but should still have enough energy to keep you satiated.

I have a feeling this is horrifically trite "advice" though :) Basically its not just a case of camber/reverse camber, but on expectations and dealing with and being prepared to adapt to those differences. Understanding what you want the board for, or rather... what you want to do with your old board and whether you want to choose between them lets you decide on how much risk you want to take that youll hate it. :p

m00m
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 9:19pm
side note - charlie has never had any camber

you've got a reputation of prolific posts to uphold, come on ippy!  haha : )

edit: as for my opinion, first i have to say i was surprised at the relatively sound advice here.  i was expecting everyone to blast "get a rockered board!!" without weighing the conditions of his question.  if you ask me, i would say stick to camber.  it really is a difference.  anyone can ride either profile and be fine on it, but that doesn't mean the difference isn't significant.  based on everything you said, to me it says camber.

as for landings, if anything, it's easier to STOMP landings on camber because it supports you and helps keep you from falling.  rocker tends to wash out as others have said, unless you are more on-point with your landings.  it can help you stay up with sloppy landings on small features or jibs, but when it comes to real jumps and all that, camber is your guy.  the variable here is the rider's skill.  what i said about camber tends to apply to more skilled riders, whereas camber can kick beginner/intermediate ass within the same exact situations.  and on the flipside, the same thing about rocker that makes it wash out for more experienced riders is what allows it to be such an easy ride for less experienced riders.  you kinda have to weigh the options yourself, but again, based on what you've said, i see zero reason to get off camber overall, but hell yeah demo some rockered boards if you have the opportunity.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 9:33pm
Embarrassed
oopsie! 

Actually just to elaborate on my nonsense. Think of the transition like the 4/5 stages of culture shock.

Stage 1: Honeymoon phase! 

Yay! im on reverse camber and shtooking HELL!!!! this thing is BANGING! Ive not bailed since i got the thing, i cant even count the number of times its saved me from eating shit. And OH MY GOD it butters. I could spin around all day and never catch an edge! this stuff is BRILLIANT!!!

Stage 2: Anxiety:

Yeah, i know i said i loved it, and you know, i still do, but im kinda getting sick of being bounced around. Also, i might not scorpion anymore, but the washing is getting knda old.

Stage 3: Acceptance:

Meh, ive paid for it. Im kinda stuck with it. Its not my favorite, but you know what, its just different. Maybe instead of trying to blast through that chop ill use the natural spring in teh board and pre-empt those bounces. Instead of washing, ill just anticipate the conditions. Instead of sliding out in deep and steep, ill try and keep my weight a little less towards the tail. I dunno, its alright actually.  

Stage 4: Mastery:

Which deck did i pull out today? <looks at feet> oh yeah! 

To be truthful i think im about stage 3. Theres always a kind of loop back to stage 2 by the way. Its not like youre always going to go toward stage 4. You might realise that by stage three youre deluding yourself and its time to leave the country and go home. 

And then you have 

REVERSE CULTURE SHOCK!!!!

Waaaah! i hate this scorpioning crap! i hate all this loading and popping bulshit on my knees, and FFS, it was annoying sliding out, but its NOTHING compared to thigh burn, still nose diving and then unclipping. Im SICK to the backeye teeth of this camber POS, i obviously need a hybrid camber board!  
m00m
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 9:45pm
hahaha perfect 4 stages.  pretty spot on with how my 4 years of rocker went, leading right back to full camber.  honestly, pretty much the only reason i ride anything with rocker anymore is because it floats better in pow, which i ride the majority of my days, but even then i just like 'em flat and not actually rockered.  3 out of 4 of my pow boards have camber, and 2 of those 3 are full camber (hovercraft and cheetah), charlie being the one without any camber, but he's mostly flat.

you're a smart guy.
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by ippollite

Embarrassed
oopsie! 

Actually just to elaborate on my nonsense. Think of the transition like the 4/5 stages of culture shock.

Stage 1: Honeymoon phase! 

Yay! im on reverse camber and shtooking HELL!!!! this thing is BANGING! Ive not bailed since i got the thing, i cant even count the number of times its saved me from eating shit. And OH MY GOD it butters. I could spin around all day and never catch an edge! this stuff is BRILLIANT!!!

Stage 2: Anxiety:

Yeah, i know i said i loved it, and you know, i still do, but im kinda getting sick of being bounced around. Also, i might not scorpion anymore, but the washing is getting knda old.

Stage 3: Acceptance:

Meh, ive paid for it. Im kinda stuck with it. Its not my favorite, but you know what, its just different. Maybe instead of trying to blast through that chop ill use the natural spring in teh board and pre-empt those bounces. Instead of washing, ill just anticipate the conditions. Instead of sliding out in deep and steep, ill try and keep my weight a little less towards the tail. I dunno, its alright actually.  

Stage 4: Mastery:

Which deck did i pull out today? <looks at feet> oh yeah! 

To be truthful i think im about stage 3. Theres always a kind of loop back to stage 2 by the way. Its not like youre always going to go toward stage 4. You might realise that by stage three youre deluding yourself and its time to leave the country and go home. 

And then you have 

REVERSE CULTURE SHOCK!!!!

Waaaah! i hate this scorpioning crap! i hate all this loading and popping bulshit on my knees, and FFS, it was annoying sliding out, but its NOTHING compared to thigh burn, still nose diving and then unclipping. Im SICK to the backeye teeth of this camber POS, i obviously need a hybrid camber board!  

HAHAAHA!! This is great Ippy!!!!
I have never owned a reverse camber board, just ridden them. But, each run I was on one I kinda went through the stages that U described!  Pretty much right on point! Which is what lead me towards a hybrid camber or hybrid like camber with the TBT and my fun.kink to mess around on.  Got the 2013 Evil Twin to test out this season :)
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 10:31pm
Is a hybrid really the "best of both worlds" or just a mediocre attempt to accommodate two different ideals?  I have never ridden one so I probably should first before making any conclusions... but the idea of it just sounds silly to me... like seriously!?

That just looks like a Mario moustache to me.

Ippy, would the 4 stages still apply to the Hybrid?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 10:36pm
in my opinion, the deal with hybrids is not the fact that it's camber and rocker in one and it's automatically the "best of both worlds" as a general rule, but it's exactly HOW they add them together that matters.  each style will give you certain aspects from either side, in a different combination, in terms of edge hold, pop, stability, powder float, turn initiation, etc etc etc... all the tech terms people throw out constantly.  the ultimate idea is to find the profile that gives you the combination you are personally looking for.  some hybrids ride more like rocker and some ride more like camber, and everything in between, and everyone is looking for something different.  for example, what i want in a do-it-all board is something that rides as close to camber is possible, while having the powder float of rocker.  so far, a 100% flat board does it best for me, and c2 is next in line.  but someone else may be looking for a board that rides mostly like rocker, but with extra edge hold or stability, so they most likely would be into something different, but still a "hybrid."
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by spenser

in my opinion, the deal with hybrids is not the fact that it's camber and rocker in one and it's automatically the "best of both worlds" as a general rule, but it's exactly HOW they add them together that matters.  each style will give you certain aspects from either side, in a different combination, in terms of edge hold, pop, stability, powder float, turn initiation, etc etc etc, all the tech terms people throw out constantly.  the ultimate idea is to find the profile that gives you the combination you are personally looking for.  some hybrids ride more like rocker and some ride more like camber, and everything in between, and everyone is looking for something different.  for example, what i want in a do-it-all board is something that rides as close to camber is possible, while having the powder float of rocker.  so far, a 100% flat board does it best for me, and c2 is next in line.

I thought rocker was better paired with softer twin shape park boards for easier presses and butters.  And I thought camber was better suited for stiffer free ride directional boards for speed and aggressive riding.  But with what you said, rocker floats better on pow?

So would a soft twin rocker float better and outperform a stiff directional camber in pow? (ex. Sierra Stunt vs. Burton Vapor)
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 10:55pm
you are singling out the two complete opposite ends of the spectrum, so the differences are going to stand out a lot more than almost any other two random boards you compare.

there is no "better." everything is based on preference.  there are a billion styles of boards out there these days and they all have their own "feel."  it's not as simple as you made it sound, either.  there are many factors that go into what makes a board lend its self to certain styles of riding.

i get the idea that you are not too familiar with all the different styles, their differences, and the differences in performance that their varied designs provide.  which is fine... i'm just saying i may understand where you're coming from and that you likely have a lot more to learn.  i mean all this in a positive way.. nothing negative; i'm not saying anything bad about your knowledge.  but if you have any questions or things you're not very clear on, this thread may be a good place to ask, as i think the original post was answered pretty well.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 9:47am
Naw, I'm not offended, it's true, when it comes to tech, I have a lot to learn.  The primary reason is I haven't had the opportunity to compare them myself.  Even if I do get to try them out from time to time, I'm limited to resort groomers (demo days).  

I understand what you mean about preference (like my preference to the feel of twin vs directional).  I know what I like and want to do so knowing I won't touch much pow unless I go away on far trips out west, I probably won't invest in a dedicated pow board.

I'm eager to try out a hybrid though.  For someone who's enjoying the learning process of ground tricks, is at medium features in the park, and enjoys climbing up superpipe walls, would you say a Flying V is good to try?  Or something softer?

I really like both my current boards but it sucks having to choose one when I go on a trip, especially when I'm unfamiliar with the terrain.  I consider bringing both sometimes but that's just more weight and additional gear (bindings) in the luggage.  Would really like to end up with one go-to board in the future.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 10:14am
I took the plunge into the world of rockers by going with a hybrid myself.  The Gnu Dany Kass actually had a fairly mellow rocker compared to some other rockered boards out there.  My little cousin just bought a burton feather this weekend, and it is super super "rockery."  Even so, the ability to lay back and ride the tail in pow, and it's tight turning radius is crazy good.

It's hard to compare apples to apples, because my Gnu also has magna-traction (along with its cambered tip/tail, so it plain doesn't wash out like others have complained so heavily about.  But, this 155cm board performed better for me than my 159 Atomic Radon in the deep pow, more pop and stability in the park than my full cambered Burton Love, and quicker paced "zig & zag" through the trees than either of them.

Now, I do want to ride a fully rockered or fully flat based board to get some comparisons, but so far so good with they Hybrid (or at least that "flavor" of hybrid).
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote snowsquirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 9:01pm
Wow, great discussion here.

Expections: this was a good thing to think about. Like I said, my last board I went for a super stiff camber. Rockers weren't really around then. I knew then that I wasn't going to ever get enough runs in to be a park king. I knew I liked charging down hills. The board gave me that. It was likely a little too stiff, as it was one of the stiffest boards on the market. Yeah, I went fast, and didn't bail but as far as noodling around it was almost impossible with my skill set. With the amount I get out, I don't see my skill set improving too much unless I concentrate on improving sticking landings, getting on the box, etc. But now that I think about it it, I would be willing to give up some of that to make it easier to fool riding switch, etc. I did notice riding switch was a lot harder on my last stiff board compared to the medium stiff board I had before.

Confidence: The Bataleon boards were recommended to me by someone off this forum, and after reading through this I am thinking they wouldn't be a good fit... and possibly not the rocker's either, as I hate chatter, and washing out a few times can rattle the old confidence when conditions get icy. When I here descriptions like "it is like surfing", that is the kind of board I picture making me nervous on groomers.

Bataleons were recomended to me as a comprimise, but I picture the TBT design to be the kind of board that I wash out on easy in icy conditions, even if it is forgiving with the pop of a camber. I think I'd rather try a hybrid or a softer camber.

I know step 3 is where I could end up. I can't justify being a multi-board guy, and for 10x a year, I'll just suck it up... But obviously I'd rather be happy about decision...

Once local shop got back to me, and they don't do demos, and said Burton is the only company that will get demo's in for them. They would do it for me, but due to low competition in my market their prices are quite high, and are sold out of 2012 carry over deals, so I feel bad about taking advantage. I did find it interesting that they said Bataleon's are their biggest sellers now.

Haven't lived here for a long time, but I do remember one of the local hill's having a demo day, maybe I'll contact that hill and see if they have anything upcoming.

Cheers.
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 5:08pm
I tried TBT I know mikeD loves it I wasn't a huge fan felt really weird not having edges that were flat with the base (center) of the board.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 2:47pm
I have not rode TBT but I looked into it too and it seems every love hate for people. I haven't been able to try one so I am not going to buy one. 
But I wouldn't recommend one for you (In my mind it doesn't seem to fit you.) 

What you can do, is play with sizing too. I am about is about 170 lbs 6'2.  So i rode a 155 med stiff board for awhile and got a 159 med soft board. They feels every similar bc of the sizing difference in some ways different too. I don't feel like typing an essay on size differences but that is something you can looking too. I don't know what size of board you ride or how big you are but that is just something to think about.   
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by fj5

I thought rocker was better paired with softer twin shape park boards for easier presses and butters.  And I thought camber was better suited for stiffer free ride directional boards for speed and aggressive riding.  But with what you said, rocker floats better on pow?

So would a soft twin rocker float better and outperform a stiff directional camber in pow? (ex. Sierra Stunt vs. Burton Vapor)

It matter on what kinda of powder you ride. My go to board board was a 160 Sierra RC and that kills it in powder. Riding Blue and black runs I love that thing but it felt a little lacking at double black so I picked a 2009 custom X for when I want to charge in powder. It will hold a bit better and be more stable.  My testing is still in the works we need more powder (first day of the season as today)
Ps I dislike my Sierra Stunt in powder, especially in heavy powder. 
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2012 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Timmay_650

Originally posted by fj5

It matter on what kinda of powder you ride. My go to board board was a 160 Sierra RC and that kills it in powder. Riding Blue and black runs I love that thing but it felt a little lacking at double black so I picked a 2009 custom X for when I want to charge in powder. It will hold a bit better and be more stable.  My testing is still in the works we need more powder (first day of the season as today)
Ps I dislike my Sierra Stunt in powder, especially in heavy powder. 

Most of this stuff as said above is based on the person.  You have to know what you are doing for anything to work properly.  For buttering, sure the softer rockered board may seem "better", but in the end it won't matter if you don't know what you are doing.  On the contrary, with proper technique I believe you can butter pretty much anything.  Same goes with pow riding, park riding, cruising, or whatever.  It's not so much the tool as the carpenter.  Of course to the extremes there may be some exceptions (perfect example is something like the banana hammock on hardpack)

I typically like variation and enjoy switching around to a different feel day to day.  It makes for a different experience every day and just makes the "same old shit" kinda new in a way.  For example, you hit some turn one day and its ok.  The next, you hit that same turn and its the best turn you've had in your life.  I try to ride whatever I can, wherever I can, since i feel many limitations are really what we make of it.  I feel that you are wasting your time and are missing out if you listened to that guy at the shop or that dude on the internet who said "not to buy a fish because it's useless outside of the pow" for example.  Why not just try everything you can wherever you can (within your skill and comfort of course), thus making the most out of every day, every run, every turn, etc etc.  You may find out that certain things work great and can be your weapon of choice in the areas you would least expect.  Of course I have my favorites and preferences on different shapes, rocker profiles, sizes, etc... but it won't stop me from trying something new and out of the ordinary.  It keeps the sport exciting, and keeps the endless head rush going.

Overall, if you are comfortable with trying something and wanna do it, do it.  If you enjoy something enough why not try to accomplish and experience all you possibly can with it.  Be the best you possibly can be.

After that long-winded ramble which may have nothing at all to do with the original post (sorry it is 4:30 AM), all I can say is best of luck and happy shredding :)
shredBATALEON: (4:06 PM) dude jb your being such a dutch bag man
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2012 at 1:07am
great post and well said.
 Post Reply Post Reply