1 [3.23%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sock poll
    Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 9:50am
It just dawned on me I still have the same socks I had when I first started snowboarding...8 years ago!  They don't look that bad, but are actually kinda matted down in the heel and toe areas. I bought some new socks years after, but kept wearing that first pair, too(?). 

This poll is really just a reminder that your socks might need replacing.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 9:57am
That's a good reminder.
I have a pair of Underarmour snow socks.. they seem to be stretching out around the toes area. Would not buy another pair from them, they're also pilling.  Not very long lasting. But it does have nice arch support.
Hope some people will throw up some recommendations.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 10:22am
I like a good snowboarding sock, and buying good ones are worth it. There were a few times in the past couple of years I've seen nice socks super cheap, so I bought a ton. I have a box of Eesa socks still with tags on them. I think I bought 35 pair for .99 when they were doing that crazy going out of business sale. This being said, over that past few years, my investments in socks has, and will continue to, outperform many peoples' investment in stocks.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 10:35am
I went with the heavily discounted option.  I have some Burtons, a couple pairs of 32s, and some "whatevers," but I am now brand loyal to the Smart Wool PhD Light Snowboard sock.

I know, a weird thing to be loyal to, but they are by far the best ones I've worn.  Warm on cold days (just them in -10 were fine), cool enough in spring slush days, and they dry quickly and don't bunch in my boot.  The only problem? They are $24 a pair, so go discount go when you can find them.

2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 11:11am
I went with the discount option. No way am I going to pay $20 for a single pair of socks when I can just find them somewhere else for 9 or 10 bucks.

There is literally dozens and dozens of places online that sell boarding socks, so it is fairly easy to find a good pair or 2 at a discount.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 11:13am
l dont even know why, but l have like 4 pairs. sometimes on the super cold nights, they feel pretty comfy... somtimes..
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 12:08pm
I still wear my Burton socks I both 5+ years ago! Still fit nice and feels brand new. I bought newer socks after that but they are not as good as good ol Burton. 
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 1:03pm
For me, I just wear any long socks that I have. I've never bought any specialized snowboarding socks before :)
Dukester View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dukester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by snowboardinrox357

For me, I just wear any long socks that I have. I've never bought any specialized snowboarding socks before :)

Same here, except for the one pair that I got from my grandma last year.
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 2:30pm
whatever works, so long as it retains heatm doesnt hurt your feet..w/e just dont be one of those that cleans it once a season 
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 5:23pm
I have a few pairs but i keep losing a sock but now I am looking for them dirt cheap and i will buy more want about 10 pairs. My first ones burton (buffer I think) are still my favorite but they are about to get holes in the toes.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 6:02pm
In hindsight, it's pretty ridiculous to buy a brand new set of snowboard boots, but wear old matted socks with them.  From now on, I'll definitely wear brand new snowboard socks when trying on new boots (and retiring my old socks, if they appear to be in half decent shape, to daily standard winter shoe wear).  That'll be my minimum new sock purchase(s) in the future.

It would be nice to be able to have fresh new socks at the beginning of each season, but snowboard specific socks can be a little pricey.  I just bought some Burton "Buffer II", but I got them on sale (not on this site...even with my discount)
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 6:08pm
My feet are naturally quite warm so I've always used my Under Armour baseball socks which are nice and thin so I've never bought new ones really.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by JDiggidy

I went with the heavily discounted option.  I have some Burtons, a couple pairs of 32s, and some "whatevers," but I am now brand loyal to the Smart Wool PhD Light Snowboard sock.

I know, a weird thing to be loyal to, but they are by far the best ones I've worn.  Warm on cold days (just them in -10 were fine), cool enough in spring slush days, and they dry quickly and don't bunch in my boot.  The only problem? They are $24 a pair, so go discount go when you can find them.

damn, those PhD sound good.  Might have to try some of those
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 7:23pm
The smart wool PhDs are the shit that killed Elvis! They really keep my feet dry and not smelling like bums nutsack.
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 7:31pm
I just use my regular everyday socks to go snowboarding. So they are fresh every time. It be cool to have a few nice pairs of snowboarding socks though haha. 
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2012 at 2:49pm
I just use a pair of high socks that I wear to work out in, no difference to me! I did try snowboarding socks this week and they are pretty sweet too. Super thin and warm!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 7:25am
My fav socks are Wigwams. Comfy. warm, dry, and they last a few seasons.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 7:43am
i like the Koppen socks. they are the bomb diggety. very warm and snug fit for a good price too.
ski_dude View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ski_dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 12:23pm
I've got Burton socks, thin ones. They work, and have the fancy-schmancy padding in specific areas. But I've rocked everything from cotton (bad idea) to no socks at all (surprisingly comfy, but really stinky).

humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 10:54pm
I'll wear my snowboarding socks at home when its really cold outside. I have like 10 pairs, so I dont need to buy any for a while. Unless theres a big sale that is haha
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 1:22am
I wear em at work doing construction in the winter too so pretty often.Never pay  full boat though.. 
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 5:13am
Originally posted by VermontRider

I like a good snowboarding sock, and buying good ones are worth it. There were a few times in the past couple of years I've seen nice socks super cheap, so I bought a ton. I have a box of Eesa socks still with tags on them. I think I bought 35 pair for .99 when they were doing that crazy going out of business sale. This being said, over that past few years, my investments in socks has, and will continue to, outperform many peoples' investment in stocks.
Would you be interested in parting ways with some of those Eesa socks?Those are my favorite snowboarding socks & sadly are tough to come by these days due to them being out of business. Please send me a PM if you are interested in working out a deal. Thanks!!!
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 6:14am
Originally posted by rye

whatever works, so long as it retains heatm doesnt hurt your feet..w/e just dont be one of those that cleans it once a season 

That's what I think.  I wear my socks until they are no longer good. I wash mine everytime it gets used, I have like 8 pairs so I am good for those really long snowboard trips.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 6:09pm
I use my old football or baseball sock they run all the way up to my knees and are warm. Why pay when you get a new pair every year for free right? Only complaint is they chaffe into my legs because i wear my boots so tight... but i dont think any sock will help that one...
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by AJD13

I use my old football or baseball sock they run all the way up to my knees and are warm. Why pay when you get a new pair every year for free right? Only complaint is they chaffe into my legs because i wear my boots so tight... but i dont think any sock will help that one...

Sometimes I use old sports socks too because they're long and I don't need to buy new ones. No matter what socks you use, they'll chaffe into your legs because of your boots.
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 1:36pm
to me, snowboarding socks are very worth it. They dont really soak up too much moisture, ad they stay VERY warm. i have two pairs of burton socks and they work wonders!
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by dvdngu

to me, snowboarding socks are very worth it. They dont really soak up too much moisture, ad they stay VERY warm. i have two pairs of burton socks and they work wonders!
Are they any different than athletic socks? I use athletic socks because they are non-cotton and non-wool; it wicks away moisture instead of soaking it. They are also extremely thin for a true fit and are elastic around the arch for support.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 2:25pm

Sometimes I use old sports socks too because they're long and I don't need to buy new ones. No matter what socks you use, they'll chaffe into your legs because of your boots.

One of the biggest features of snowboard/ski socks is the fact that they are not ribbed along the length of the sock, such as those on soccer socks.  Those socks are ribbed because they have to hold up on their own.  Snowboard/ski socks are not ribbed because your boots are there to hold them up anyway.  The benefit of not having the ribbed design is reduced chafing and better circulation because you don't have a bunch of lines digging into your legs.

I highly recommend you NOT use regular ribbed sport socks for riding.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Quote Jigkidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by fj5

One of the biggest features of snowboard/ski socks is the fact that they are not ribbed along the length of the sock, such as those on soccer socks.  Those socks are ribbed because they have to hold up on their own.  Snowboard/ski socks are not ribbed because your boots are there to hold them up anyway.  The benefit of not having the ribbed design is reduced chafing and better circulation because you don't have a bunch of lines digging into your legs.

I highly recommend you NOT use regular ribbed sport socks for riding.

I never thought about that, with the ribbing.
I also have never worn any other socks aside from snowboard socks while snowboarding, which may be why I never thought about that in the first place.
Long hair don't care!
Chad21 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Chad21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 3:45pm
I still have the same 2 pairs of socks from 5 years ago. They are still holdin strong and not showing any sign of getting torn up yet. I would definitely be lookin to get a new pair or 2 though just so that I have them.
yaya34 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Evil Monkeys Not So Evil After All

Quote yaya34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 5:19am
I am a big sock guy. Like Lt. Dan says you need to keep your feet dry so always change your socks. No doubt do I look for discounted socks but I also try to stick with Burton.

I have had a few pairs of regular wool socks and they do alright but Burton socks are not too thick yet warmer then anything ive had on.

I just bought myself a new pair from marshalls for only 5 bucks, you can't beat that.
YaYa
steezycheezy734 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Lake Effect!!

Quote steezycheezy734 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 5:31am
My recommendation if your looking to buy new ski/snowboard socks is only two brands. point6,bridgedale and smartwool, they fit amazing, stay in place have a no seam toe box. These are great because the merino wool wick moisture and usually won't stink even after a long day of riding.
Backside10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Backside10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 6:51am
Whenever Smartwool goes on sale!
Nitro Rook 156, Burton Cartels
ski_dude View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ski_dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 11:11am
While we're on the topic of socks, what are your thoughts on going without socks altogether?

Tried it? Liked it? Makes no difference? No way? Smelly and gross?

Just curious.

Post Reply Post Reply