Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Equipment Pondering Thread
    Posted: Dec/03/2012 at 10:58am
What are you guys pondering? Right now I just bought some burton rulers and am pondering a Holden Coaches Jacket and then I need to find some grey skinny snowpants on sale to go with them. Also pondering some mitts. Or gloves. Or mitts. Ponder, ponder ponder...
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2012 at 11:00am
I pretty much ponder everything that I see online. Right now I'm really looking at a pair of DC Ceptor boots.
dpboarder98 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2012 at 11:11am
Im pondering mittens and skinny snowpants too. Also deciding whether I should sell gear to get a new board.
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2012 at 12:25pm
Riding a fish  or hovercraft  . Love the  feel of the  taper of the Malolos  and supermodels Ive owned over the years  just never have got around to trying out a fish yet.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2012 at 6:45pm
pondering picking up a ride manic... or rome artifact rocker. (no particular reasons other than im getting a sick deal either way.) then im pondering missions, cartels, or 390s to pair up to which ever board i choose.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote return2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2012 at 7:18pm
got a pair of 2013 flow m9 se's as a gift, pondering whether to sell em to pick up some ride capos...

Cerilious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cerilious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2012 at 10:04pm
I've been trying to save my $ and ponder more about when the snow will get better so I can ride.
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 5:42pm
I have been pondering for at least 2 years for Capita Ultra Fear.. the design keeps looking better and better.  It kinda sucks that it's a limited edition, so chances of it going on sale before it runs out is not very good. :(
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by return2heaven

got a pair of 2013 flow m9 se's as a gift, pondering whether to sell em to pick up some ride capos...

sell it and get those capos, but only if you get the red ones
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by chillman

What are you guys pondering? Right now I just bought some burton rulers and am pondering a Holden Coaches Jacket and then I need to find some grey skinny snowpants on sale to go with them. Also pondering some mitts. Or gloves. Or mitts. Ponder, ponder ponder...

For some reason evo.com is selling 2013 holden coaches for 160 instead of 200. only the black and the red one though.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 2:57am
I found a site where I can get it for 110$Big smile
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 4:50am

link me please, l promise l wont fight you for them, l just wnat to see if there are other deals
for fantastic outdoor deals, checkout:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/KelvinChung
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by keljai

link me please, l promise l wont fight you for them, l just wnat to see if there are other deals
I sent you a pm!
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 6:30pm
thanks just got it. too bad they only got clothing though 
for fantastic outdoor deals, checkout:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/KelvinChung
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 7:22pm
I'm pondering on what snowboard I should buy.
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Online
  Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 7:49pm
I'm starting to ponder on what boots I should start checking out.  I'm thinking of going and trying on boots now... then seeing if I can hook-up on them on the cheap this spring or summer.  Def going to see how salomons fit and probably nikes too.
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 8:43pm
I'm pondering a bunch of stuff.

Board - Probably go with a Reverse Crew. Very good deal on it right now. Under $180 shipped.  Unless I find something else I think that would be better at that price level.

Boots - Probably go with some Burton or DC boots, all mountain medium stiffness.  Or whatever I can find a deal on that fits my needs.

Pants - Been looking at Burton Cargo or Poachers.  Maybe Ride.  As long as they are at least 10k waterproof and have good reviews.

Jacket - No idea really.  Just need a good looking, good water proof jacket.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 9:16pm
season pass. 
Im determined on 40+ days this season. And anything over twenty you might as well pick up a pass (japan season passes are 15-20 days full cost usually). 

Myoko; nozawa; one of the hakuba ones; the JTB pass; or even shiga kogen.

Realistically its between myoko and nozawa since hakuba is way too expensive for one of happo or goryu/47. And shiga kogen is really an ordeal to get to without a car. The JTB pass looks alright with ryuoo, xjam, iizuna, kurohime and a fair chunk of hakuba (but not the big two). But realistically i cant see myself wanting to hit up any of those all that much. Really i like the big 4 from the area (hakuba, myoko, shiga, nozawa). 

So as i say, it comes down to myoko versus nozawa. 

Transport: Myoko wins slightly on transport (more simple - train---train---bus (few changes or waits); nozawa is train---15 minutes longer train---15 minute wait---bus---15 minite walk up to the resort or 10 mibute wait for shuttle bus.

1-0 Myoko.

Area: Myoko gets more. You have akakan, suginohara, and ikenotaira on the pass. Nozawa is just nozawa. 

2-0 to Myoko.

Powder: Myoko wins on powder in peak season, but after peak season myoko powder turns to shit. Nozawa gets great powder too. But after the peak it also has elevation at the top of yamabiko. The powder last year there was awesome and really thats the clincher. Roughly the same peak season, bit more in myokos favor, but nozawa stays better quality for longer. 

2-1

In bounds: Akakan is a nice day out. Ikenotaira makes a nice half day and suginohara makes a nice half day. Nozawa is a good solid few days of fun. Pretty much matched. I guess chances are though ill get bored with nozawa faster since i dont have that many escape options to switch it up. Still, since i can only ride one, and since im kinda bored of myoko, it has to go to nozawa.

2-2.

Slackcountry: plenty of trees on myoko to skid through. Brilliant place for intermediate slackcountry, but without a hike if youre advanced it gets a bit dull eventually. If you hike though myoko takes it hands down. But i dont... so its myoko tree runs and general lift accessed trails versus nozawas beast of a slackountry ride. And Thats the only one i know about, im pretty sure with three ridge lines coming off it, theres more out there. Im excited to explore nozawa, im less excited to explore myko since i feel like ive found the best lines already that dont involve a hike. 

2-3 to Nozawa.

Season Pass: 50,000 to myoko; 60,000 to nozawa

3-3. 

Other:

I bought a myoko season pass in 2008/2009. I enjoyed riding it, but by around day 8 it felt like an albatross around my neck. I hadnt ever ridden shiga kogen or nozawa by then though so really that was the cause of my itchy feet. 
Ive been to nozawa a few times now. Im still not really that bored of it. In fact the last time i went was a massive discovery day. Im keen to find out more about the place. Basically i feel like id wake up to ride nozawa whereas i might think "bleh, ill skip this weekend/holiday and get drunk instead in myoko". For me myoko slightly edges out nozawa as a three resort option, but theres no link up and you will literally have to get a bus (and pay for it and waste massive amounts of time) to switch resorts. Nozawa is all youve got, but then again its all there. Nozawa versus any of the three is an easy nozawa win. Even suginohara, great fun as it is, is still a bit flat ultimately (and had the soul ripped out of it when they pulled out one of its most important lifts). 
So...

4-3 to Nozawa i think. 

I think though the question "which one do i want to explore and will actually get out of bed to ride? should really be worth a bit more points. :) I have a feeling its nozawa. Assuming the expected storm doesnt hit (it was supposed to come this afternoon, but theres no sign of it yet and reports suggest its not really happening), ill head that way tomorrow and see how it goes. If its not too much of a pain to get to, then itll be nozawa. If it is, its back to the myoko/nozawa debate/ponder. 

ETA: bus timetable for my reference more than anything else: http://www.vill.nozawaonsen.nagano.jp/gyosei/bus_jikoku/English.pdf 
m00m
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 4:05pm
Holden Refugee Jacket and Holden Standard Skinny Denim Pant will most likely be bought tommorow.
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 12:30am

Can you link me too? I am pondering a nice pair of Khaki pants. (or cords like buron bulge)
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 3:44pm
karmaloop is where the jacket is super cheap. I just bought the refugee jacket for 127 after the coupon code tiktok and promo code reward. I tried to buy some holden standard skinny denim pants but it kept saying AVS failed so I tried configuring my address is different ways by removing extended zip and the o before my address which is there to tell whomever is shipping it what county i'm in so it doesn't go to the wrong address ... and finally it said your order is being reviewed so I don't know if it went through or not and I can't order via paypal till I find out if the card will be charged...Angry
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 5:51am
I'm pondering why I bought 2 new decks this year and there is no snow yet. Trip to CO planned in 2 weeks. Hopefully I don't need rock board
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 1:16pm
I'm pondering if I should buy a new jacket or use the old one I already have.
chhummystar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chhummystar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2012 at 12:19am
I am definitely pondering some Holden standard pants but I don like that their newer pants sound like windbreaker material and the older ones feel like khakis
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2012 at 10:43am
I just ordered the Standard skinny denim pants. Will report back... aren't like all pants a windbreaker material or khacki. There really isn't an inbetween.
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2012 at 5:25pm
Pondered clear lenses for a while and finally pulled the trigger after an incredibly foggy day spending half the day with my goggles ontop of my helmet. Since I do about half my riding at night they're gonna be put to use all the time. Best $40 I've ever spent.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2012 at 10:51am
I've many a time pondered clear vs. hifi.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2012 at 12:45pm
I'm ponder the gopro surf mount and floaty pack....
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 3:47pm
Pissed off b/c my order on my snowpants was refunded cause apparently they were out of stock so know I don't know where to find new ones....
SnowAddiction View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SnowAddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 4:43pm
We are wondering what is best in the new line of GoPros - the Black, Silver or White for capturing footage in the park?
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 4:53pm
Somone talk me out of a pair of Holden pants. They're so affordable on this site too! I'm gonna give it a week, if the feeling still is there...out comes the credit card.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 4:55am
I'm pondering on these K2 Phase helmets for $30. Got that dial fit feature so I know it'll fit snug. Should I or Should I secretly tell someone to get me it for xmas?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 5:07am
Originally posted by haiv143

I'm pondering on these K2 Phase helmets for $30. Got that dial fit feature so I know it'll fit snug. Should I or Should I secretly tell someone to get me it for xmas?

Where are you pondering this helmet for $30?  That's a deal!
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 6:13am
Unless its a cracked helmet. But definitely a deal since helmets are usually $60 and up
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 8:09am
Originally posted by haiv143

I say go for it or just pick it up yourself!
$30 sounds like a good deal
like above me said .. generally you're looking at $50 + for helmets
and for the dial in feature those usually start around $75+ cdn prices.

I'm pondering about getting a new pair of bindings, no way in hell am I able to afford new. I think it started last season but I'm getting an edge feeling in my shins which I think are coming from my bindings, salomon force, wearing Ruler boots and my toes aren't feeling that great either, gets red like its chaffing. Suspecting its the toe straps, they go over top rather than cap. boots have soften up and doesn't hold its structure as it used to.
bindings...bindings...unions, burtons..flux? romes?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 8:15am
My buddy swears by Flux bindings (I do not know which models he rides), says they are the most comfortable bindings he has ridden.  Personally I like Rome Targas with the canted foot pads.

I have been reading a lot of positive feedback on Salomon boots, I would like to give them a try.  I had Burton Rulers which were great for a couple seasons and then my toes started hurting, not sure why.  I'm not growing (if anything I'm probably shrinking) so I can't explain the change in comfort level with the boots.  I use Vans now and find them to be really comfortable, not too soft, not too stiff.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 8:25am
humm.. that's interesting.. maybe it is the boots messing with my my toes
at times the top of my toes go blackish.. like its been frost bite
50/50 either the boots or the bindings..
i also hear that 32's were comfortable.  Tried the Ions they were really nice and light but $$$

Haven't looked around but dunno where i'd be able to find flux near here.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by CassinoNorth

Somone talk me out of a pair of Holden pants. They're so affordable on this site too! I'm gonna give it a week, if the feeling still is there...out comes the credit card.
Holdens are awesome. I love my jacket. 

I neeeeed to find some grey skinny snowpants for less than 130$ As I've said before, the holdens sold out after I bought them errr something. I need size medium. Need to be rad. Help.
tjk123 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tjk123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2012 at 2:43pm
Starting boarder and a few falls still.

I have been thinking of buying a Burton Poacher. Would going with a Holden be better? Or they both the same just style differences?
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 12:45pm
Holden is much better until you start comparing it with Burton's top of the line [AK] gear. You can get an Oswald Jacket (330$ MSRP) for 130$ on karmaloop. Crazy deal. I love my Refuge jacket. So bummed those pants were sold out when I bought them. Ended up with some Burton ones that I don't think I'll be as happy with.
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 11:56pm
Im torn between a thrive board or a neversummer for my next deck. I have yet to see a decent sale on either brands
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Online Status: Online
  Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 1:21am
Originally posted by sdwc96

Im torn between a thrive board or a neversummer for my next deck. I have yet to see a decent sale on either brands

Check out this thread for the 30% off coupon for Thrive:

I purchased the Renegade (Reg. $550) for $385.  Purchase includes their $80 board bag for FREE, and if you're lucky, they'll throw in your FREE level upgrade t-shirt (Reg. $25) with the shipment too.  Plus FREE shipping.  It may not mean much to you but living in Canada, I was prepared to pay customs and brokerage at the door but to my pleasant surprise, didn't have to pay anything when my parcel arrived.  FAST shipping too.

Now that's DEFINITELY better than a decent sale! (IMHO)
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
 Post Reply Post Reply