Long Colorado Weekend Advice

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Colorado Weekend Advice
    Posted: Dec/05/2012 at 6:31am
My brother & I are intermediate east coast riders heading west for the first time looking for advice.  We get into Denver on Thursday rent a car and stay in Frisco, Dillon, or Silverthorne.  Plan to board 3 days Friday, Saturday & Sunday.  We are thinking hit Copper on Friday, Keystone on Saturday & Loveland on Sunday. Fly out early Monday.  Whats the deal with this tunnel?   What is considered Front Range?  Any thoughts on Winter Park, Breckenridge & A-Basin versus the other resorts I mentioned. Thank you in advance.
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2012 at 6:39am
Unfortunately we don't have much snow anywhere! Don't waste your time at Winter Park. The only thing worth while there is Mary Jane & that will not be open with the over all lack of snow that we have. The resorts you plan on hitting are about as good as it's going to get for the amount of snow that we have. ....don't expect much. We are off to a slow start on snow here.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2012 at 6:52am
Damn are you talking about this weekend?  You may luck out as it is supposed to snow all weekend, but you're still are coming at a terrible time.  We have had almost no snow so far this year. 
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2012 at 7:04am

Yeah, the weather guessers are saying we could get a little snow in the mountains this weekend but at most a 50% chance of snow and it’s not supposed to amount to much. The only snow on the mountains at the resorts right now is all man made.

Unfortunately it’s such short notice for you other wise I would suggest canceling your trip because the resorts are going to nail you for full price lift tickets to ride on a fraction of their terrain. Most of the resorts barely have 8 – 10% of their terrain even open with the condition of that terrain being marginal at best. For people traveling here getting gouged for full price lift tickets to ride on that is robbery. …who know, you might get crazy lucky and the flurries this weekend turn into a dump of POW!

scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2012 at 7:24am
as everyone said you are getting the short end of the stick with snow. A girl I know, her brother builds the parks at breck and said they only have 5 runs open. copper is pretty legit if they have stuff open. If youre on a budget dillon has a walmart there where we bought all are food. cheaper than paying a 300% mark up on everything in the villages.

I pray it snows for you
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2012 at 8:27am
Thank you all, we are booked for the first week end in January so hopefully coverage will be deep & complete.  As a first timer, would you guys stick with 3days at the same place, like copper?  Or do u recommend going to 2 resorts or even 3 
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2012 at 8:34am
Originally posted by sixpoint

Thank you all, we are booked for the first week end in January so hopefully coverage will be deep & complete.  As a first timer, would you guys stick with 3days at the same place, like copper?  Or do u recommend going to 2 resorts or even 3 
Good call, you will have a much better time, and there is usually more coverage by that point, at least there should be.

It really depends on you for the resort.  It may not be a bad idea to hit up one resort, and if you really like it stay there, or move on to another if it wasn't really your thing.  The nice part about the frisco area is there are quiet a few resorts all within 45 minutes of each other so it's easy to change up plans on the fly.

One thing I will add is Copper has 4 packs which you can pick up for around $130 or so bucks, which could save you some good coin if you plan on sticking at that resort the whole time, but I believe you will need to get it before the end of the year.  You can check their site for details on that.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
killclimbz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 5:10am

Coverage will not be deep and complete.  If the snow starts falling, most of the ski area should be open.  Snow pack in January isn't even at half of maximum depth at that time.  Winter just got started.

As COrider said.  Pick a spot and try it out.  If you don't like it switch resorts.  Hopefully the snow will fly and you'll get good conditions. Overall we are way behind the eight ball right now.  I would seriously recommend relocating your trip.  Salt Lake City is slightly more expensive to fly into, but lift tickets and accommodations are generally much less expensive.  Plus access is quick and easy.  They get snowfall in the magnitude of almost 200 inches more a season than we do here in Colorado.  Not a big deal during normal seasons when the snow is plentiful everywhere.  This year Colorado is in the middle of a donut hole and Utah has gotten a fair amount of the goods already.  The riding is also very stellar there.
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 6:37am
plus if you go to salt lake you can get a free lift ticket the same day that you fly in. its called the quickstart it's on the park city website. breck's website says its had 22" of total snowfall this year probably wont be much better by Jan. Loveland usually at the tops the charts with total snowfall and it's relatively cheap. you are looking at 80-100 bucks a day at keystone, breck, copper or vail. loveland is like 50. A basin is nice and has some quality terrain runs about 65 a day. 
iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote iamjason10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 6:50am
I went last year and there was very little snow. My buds and I bought an epic pass which allowed us to go to a bunch of different mountains. We went to Breckenridge, Vail, and Keystone. Vail was my favorite place but not all the lifts were open at any of the places. Keystone has night boarding so we would go to Vail during the day then head to Keystone for the night.
Ejekted View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Ejekted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 7:55am

I recommend checking the snow report each morning. Different storms hit different mtns based on the way they face, so sometimes Vail will get a foot and nothing at the others, or the reverse Loveland can get dumped on and no one in the middle will get much. So, pick one and try it out if you love it stay there, if not check the snow report and go somewhere else.
Breck, Copper, and Loveland and great for beginners.
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 9:24am
^^great advice     cannot changed gears now, we are locked in and paid.  We will do just that-get up early to check the snow report and go where the most reported snow has fallen. 
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 9:26am

^^great advice     cannot changed gears now, we are locked in and paid.  We will do just that-get up early to check the snow report and go where the most reported snow has fallen. 

You'll be fine, make the best of it. If all else fails, go have some nice local brews.
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 10:37am
also if you dont want to buy a season pass i would suggest walking around the parking lots seeing if people will let you use their buddy passes. maybe throw them a 5 and you will save like 20 bucks total
markyjas View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote markyjas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 7:37am
Not to thread-jack, but I'm looking to make a trip out in March with my family.  Any good deals on lift tickets?  The Copper 4-pack is something I'm going to look at, and I've been to liftopia.com.  We are trying to decide which resort(s) to go to.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 7:39am
Originally posted by markyjas

Not to thread-jack, but I'm looking to make a trip out in March with my family.  Any good deals on lift tickets?  The Copper 4-pack is something I'm going to look at, and I've been to liftopia.com.  We are trying to decide which resort(s) to go to.

Unless you have had a copper 4 pack in the past you'll have to get it at a Denver Metro area Christy sports before this Sunday.  You can't get your 1st one online, you can renew them online though.  To renew it, it also expires this Sunday.
"Sign up for the Daily give away at Thrive. http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/rp/66964"
markyjas View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote markyjas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 7:44am
^
Thanks, I just looked that up myself and was super bummed!  Guess I'll have to look for some other deals.
caroeder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote caroeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 7:47am
copper is better than telluride but aspen is my all time favorite! go there
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 8:55am
aspen is 5 hours from the airport though... copper is 2. if you are trying to go cheap i would recommend loveland 4 packs. like 150. other than that you are going to be spending like 80 bucks a day. kinda sucks
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 9:26am

We are staying in Frisco & probably travelling 18 miles out to Loveland in the morning and back after 5.   Any big deal with that tunnel backing up w traffic on Sat & Sun?              

killclimbz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 9:49am
Not for the times and directions you'll be traveling to Loveland and back. 
jambbleit14 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jambbleit14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2012 at 7:37pm
Colorado has great discount ski trips and vacation packages. Colorado ski resort guide and resort information, ski trails, lifts, and accommodations.

Enjoy Aspen luxury at the Aspen Club 3 bedroom condominiums and we'll throw in a 5th or 7th night free!

With a peaceful setting near the Roaring Fork River and a pristine pond these luxury 3 bedroom townhomes are an ideal getaway for any vacation. All are multi-level units featuring three wood burning fireplaces, plenty of room for entertaining and easy access to town. The property is also conveniently located next to the Aspen Club and Spa.

Here are some of the best Ski Destinations in Colorado:

Beaver Creek
    Breckenridge
    Copper Mountain
    Crested Butte
    Keystone
    Snowmass
    Steamboat
    Telluride
    Vail
    Winter Park
pyroboy02 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote pyroboy02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2012 at 8:21pm
i would definitely vouch for Copper mountain. I went two years ago with my buddy, and he is definitely not an experienced skier. He had a good time on the front side of the mountain, and gradually worked his way up, but I was having the time of my life boarding in the back bowl.
bweston View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My wife, myself, and Steveo.

Quote bweston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2012 at 3:04am
We've gone to Breck the past two years. I learned how to board there so I can vouche for it. Last year we went in Jan. Even though they had little snowfall the man made wasn't bad and more than half of the runs were open.
ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Quote ABrad25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2012 at 4:02am
All those resorts are nice and i think i like Copper best personally. The tunnel is exactly what it sounds like, it goes under the mountain that A-Basin sits on and the front range is all the cities along the Rockie Mountains kind of like how every sit seems like its connected. 
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 12:29pm
I would say i really enjoy copper, it kinda does everything well but nothing the best. Keystone has great groomers, steep and long, a really awesome park lots of fun. Breck is great on powder days but has horrible lift lines and terrible groomers just short and all of them flat at the bottom. and it takes forever to get to any of the great powder lifts (6 imperial and tbar) falcon chair is fun too but short and long lines for all of those. Vail is great for powder maybe the best but have to pay for parking and the lines are killer. There are so many people if you get caught near the gondola expect a 30 minute wait. Loveland is small but is really fun. Abasin has great atmosphere and is top notch if you want to hike a little. thats my opinion. i think you will get best value with loveland. hope you enjoy the trip! 
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 11:57am
I really appreciate all your information. Thanks, Looks like the areas are getting some much needed snow.
 Post Reply Post Reply