Board selection help!

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JYM View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Board selection help!
    Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 12:28am
Hey guys, let me get straight to the point. I want a board that i can comfortably ride like the video shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s7MZ3yjf-c

Here are things to consider:
-I will only be hitting green and blue runs, so no speed runs, no diamonds etc.
-While cruising butter, jib, press, and mediocre jumps.
-Run through the park every other run.
-Flatland buttering, pressing.
-Budget is $300.
-I have thought about the 2012 Rome Artifact Rocker, K2 WWW, Nitro Sub Zero and 2012 Capita Horroscope.

If you have any of these boards, or have any recommendations! Please insight me!

JYM View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 7:03am
Bump?
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 8:33am
What he is doing is called skills, you can't just buy a board and make you a pro 
JYM View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 9:07am
Yeah obviously. But having the right board for those maneuvers will make it a hell of lot easier to learn.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 9:17am
What is you experience level. In my opinion if you are looking for something like that I would get some kind of rocker board and make it a little small than the size says. I dont know what your sizing stats are but TruSnow has/had a burton whammy bar on sale for like 170. it was only a 153cm. I bought one because I love jibbing even though im 5'9 185 which is a little big for that size board. the deal was too good to pass up
JYM View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 10:22am
Im a intermediate rider that is getting more into jibbing and buttering. Actually learning how to butter and jibb. Im 5'8" and only 120 pounds so i was looking something around a 47-50. After doing quite a bit of research, ive narrowed it down to the Rome Artifact Rocker, K2 WWW, and Capita Horrorscope. It is a really hard decision...
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 10:30am
Ive played with the artifact rocker at the shop, and it seems to be very flexible and has a lot of pop. I think those are good boards and you cant go wrong. Look into last years models theres some killer deals out there!
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 10:42am
Artifact rocker! I'm bout 125lbs at 5'10 on a 147. Butters n jibs like a dream. Presses are too easy. I can hold manuals for awhile. Def got good pop for a rocker board. I can easily ollie bout 3 feet high at slow speeds. Base is very durable n can take a beating. I can even bomb down west bowl at Sierra at Tahoe with it. Ice is no good for anyone but it managed it very well. I just wish is got a sinter base instead of extruded base. Get it. I woulda brought two if I had da money.
JYM View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 12:21pm
How does the Artifact Rocker hold up outside the park? Is it strictly limited to only park terrain?
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 3:13pm
Is my all mtn board. I can ride pow, black d's, anything even ice.
I still want a more pow specific board but other than that, all I wanna ride is my artifact rocker.
JYM View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 4:17pm
Oh wow, even black d's? Nice!
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by JYM

How does the Artifact Rocker hold up outside the park? Can it be ridden on A and B's or is it strictly limited to only park terrain?
I have a Rome Artifact Rocker. It is not that great outside the park. The 2012 model got a little poppier (Hot Rods) and improved turn initiation (QuickRip sidecut). From what I can tell, the only board on the market that is softer is the Signal Park Rocker. I can tail press an entire run top to bottom while doing 180s to alternate between normal and switch and still maintain the tail press if I'm not tired. It's that soft. When you're dealing with this extreme of soft, noodly boards, other ride qualities are substantially lost; be careful of that. My riding buddy uses the K2 WWW rocker and, from experience, it is a very good noodle board that can hold its merits much better outside the park and especially very well within it. The K2 WWW is similarly soft but can keep its composure on other runs too-- definitely an outstanding jibber among the crowd. Arbor Draft is another top-rated jib board, but not as noodly and the bronze edges will dull quicker over time.

If you are still interested in it, I wrote a review for the Artifact Rocker here: http://trusnow.com/Rome-Artifact-Rocker-Snowboard-147---Men's.asp

Capita is too expensive. Sierra Stunt is a no-frills, standard jibber but it is missing some of the newest tech that competing products (Artifact, WWW, Draft) are benefiting from. If you're about my weight (64 kg) riding noodles, avoid sizing below 151 cm; they get too washy when reverse camber is combined with short running length. I ride a 153 cm Artifact Rocker. I recommend the WWW earnestly.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Lux

Capita is too expensive
obviously i understand the context of this, but that's the first time i've heard someone say that, haha.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by JYM

Yeah obviously. But having the right board for those maneuvers will make it a hell of lot easier to learn.
typically, the majority of those japanese guys doing all the flatground tricks actually seem to be on full camber boards that are not super soft.  it's purely their skill.  and on top of that, going with a soft rockered board can actually make it harder to do that, because they can roll out so easily due to the rocker and flex.  i don't really do butters, but i personally like a board i can trust to not roll out if i lay into one.  for me, that's a medium soft cambered board, or a medium-stiff rocker board.  there are a lot of jibbers that prefer camber for presses as well because of the support they provide.  it can be easier to lock into a press or butter with boards like that, rather than just assuming the softer and more rockered, the easier.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 6:10pm
Reading this thread I thought it was a joke. Then read it through once over from bottom to top. i realized you were alll serious..
both 2zz and JYM are sticks! i thought I was underweight, I hope you guys are still growing because it almost sounds like you guys are under fed, under weight
That aside...Go with the Artifact or K2 WWW
I'm leaning more to the Artifact considering you're not gonna bomb down the hill

Yes Capita is $$ esp if you're north of the border looking to purchase one.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 6:12pm
capita tends to be one of the most affordable brands as far as performance vs price tag, and prices in general.  am i missing something here?
JYM View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 6:14pm
If the signal park rocker was any cheaper, that would've been my pick hands down easy but unfortunately its not so im SOL. I hear mixed reviews about the Artifact. I get hyped by one person saying it handles really well all around, then another person comes and says the opposite; haha im going in circles! Im so split between the Artifact and the WWW, they both sound so nice, so my decision will have to come down for quality/durability. Which of the two do you think makes nicer boards, last longer, and uses quality materials?

PS- What are your guy's feelings about the Nitro Sub Zero? Stepchild Jib Stick?
JYM View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 6:18pm
I was typing so i didnt catch some of the comments before i finished but i also second what Spenser is saying. Isnt the Capita Horrorscope around the same price range as the Artifact and WWW? If not cheaper...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 6:21pm
literally any of these choices will be fine.  you are thinking about it too much.  none of the boards are going to do anything magical for you.. they're all in the same range really, pretty much equivalents of each other from their respective companies.  honestly, you should go with the one you are most stoked on in terms of the company/graphics/whatever.  they are all pretty soft rockered boards.

the reason you hear mixed reviews is simply because everyone is different, and it's all based on preference and opinion.  i know people who love riding their horrorscopes or artifacts for everything, but it's not something i would ever touch unless i was doing a backyard jib sesh.  no one is right or wrong, it's just preference.
JYM View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 6:27pm
Your right, i am thinking way too hard on this. I know i have always had my mind set on the Rome Artifact but its just...its just that "what if". I also dont have a flexible budget, being a poor college student can account to that. So i try to make the best of every penny i have. Sorry if i may sound stingy but these are desperate times. I just want the best bang for your buck
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by spenser

capita tends to be one of the most affordable brands as far as performance vs price tag, and prices in general.  am i missing something here?
Of the options the nitro and capita are the most expensive.
just the other day I saw someone drop $500 on a board...that just blows my mind.

scratch that Rome is up there too
try going for last year's model, probably save you a couple of bucks.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by JYM

Your right, i am thinking way too hard on this. I know i have always had my mind set on the Rome Artifact but its just...its just that "what if". I also dont have a flexible budget, being a poor college student can account to that. So i try to make the best of every penny i have. Sorry if i may sound stingy but these are desperate times. I just want the best bang for your buck  

nah man, it's all good, i was only referring to the choice of boards, not the fact that you're on a budget.  saving money is good, i just don't think you need to look so deeply into these few choices that are realistically pretty similar overall, to make it easier for yourself.  if you're stoked on the artifact, go for it!
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by spenser

Maybe it's just me but we tend to get jewed juiced in this area where Capita pricing is concerned. Now, I don't know if that is a deliberate price adjustment on Capita's part for some regions of Canada (which is typical for everything here, even made-in-Canada merchandise..), or that they are simply that profoundly good of a product, but I've consistently seen used Capita boards selling for US retail prices.
Originally posted by JYM

I was typing so i didnt catch some of the comments before i finished but i also second what Spenser is saying. Isnt the Capita Horrorscope around the same price range as the Artifact and WWW? If not cheaper...
K2 WWW. The final product quality, material (especially topsheet) and finish are superior. I can't say much for longevity (less than 1 season use) but long-term owners have only the best to say about it. 

For me, the deal breaker here, really, is the difference in character between the WWW and Artifact. The WWW pops quite nicely and predictably whereas the pop in the Artifact is lazy and dull (even with the improved Hot Rod for 2012). I don't know whether this is because of the Artifact being softer or is it because of differences in the carbon stringer, but they are two distinctly different rides. Artifact is also quicker to turn and spin and a bit nervous to ride, whereas the WWW is smoother and more relaxed but still precise.

To illustrate the differences in real life: I'd do a switch 180 into a nose press into a 360 out on flat ground. On the Artifact, I would need to work harder to get the pop from the nose press in order to 360 out, but it's so noodly that I'm facing uphill while moving with the tail lifted up almost hip height. Really flashy, and I could probably try a manual tail block like that. On the WWW, I can load the nose press to pop for a 360 out, but the load springs back out quicker and with more energy, so I get more air from it. Also flashy.

It's up to you. I suggest the WWW. Both are great jib/butter boards, just pick your flavour.
JYM View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 8:29pm
Lux i really enjoy your detailed responses! Said that and combining the advice of spencer saying "going with a soft rockered board can actually make it harder to do that, because they can roll out so easily due to the rocker and flex" and yours Lux, im heavily leaning on the K2 2012 WWW. Im wondering though, which size i should get? I only weigh around 120 pounds and im 5'8" which is taller compared to the weight. Im debating between the 147 and 151; personally i prefer a shorter board since im lightweight. Oh and should i get a wide version or just normal? My boot size is a 9.

PS-i heard that the WWW appears longer or feels like it longer because it has more effective edge? What does this mean and how does this affect me choosing the right size?
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 9:07pm
Yup, no problem. We're here to help! Smile

Yes, the popular trend now for freestyle boards is 'blunted tips'. That is: chopping off the furthest portion of the nose and tail to make a shorter board, but retaining the same effective edge length along the sides where it contacts the snow. That means the effective edge hasn't actually gotten any longer, but rather the board's total length has become shorter from trimming the nose and tail; all other parameters remain unchanged. The reason for that is it reduces the total length and swing weight (when spinning). 

In a simplified comparison: a modern 153 cm freestyle board would ride the same as an old 157 cm, except now with stubby looking tips. 

For argument's sake, practically all jib boards now use blunted tips, including both the WWW and Artifact.

147 cm is a good match for your weight. Just make sure to check the specification for waist width for that size. It would be prudent of you to ensure the waist of the snowboard is wide enough for your boot and binding. If it is too narrow, size up to the 148 cm wide version. If you want to save money, look for last season's WWW (model year 2012)... nothing has changed for 2013 except graphics. Good luck out there!
JYM View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 9:45pm
Thanks Lux! Can someone help me find a website that may sell a 147 WWW?
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 12:30am
I will also recommend you go for the 147... I'm 5'8 158lbs and I normally ride 155.  I too am looking to get a shorter freestyle board and will probably go 151 so given my weight compared to yours, the 147 makes more sense.

I did a quick search for you and it looks like it may be a little over your budget:

It looks like only the wides and longer boards are on sale:
http://www.the-house.com/snbd-k2www.html
http://www.trusnow.com/K2-WWW-Rocker-Wide-Snowboard-155.asp

Definitely check places like Craigslist for used if you're on a really tight budget.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 8:25am
Uh man now I'm super curious bout the www. I was either gonna get that or the artifact, and I went with the artifact instead. I do wish to have a tad more stable board for the steeper runs. I have to work harder to keep my balance and line. My friends got a park rocker and he loves it. I'm gonna get one soon.
Go with 147. I'm also riding a 147 on my artifact.
And yes I'm a stick. I tried so many different ways but my genes won't allow me to get over 130. Whatever I take literally goes straight down the drain.
JYM View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 7:03am
DUDE 2zz are you like my long lost double twin brother?!?! Because that is exactly the same case with me! I cant FREAKING get over 130! Everything i throw at my body it just gobbles it up no time, like there is a space worm hole in my stomach.

But back on topic, i got the K2 WWW and received it today. Sweet board, i havent taken it out yet but i will in two days time. I'll get back to you after ive rode it!
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 9:50am
Lol you are my brother from a different mother JYM.
Have fun with WWW. Let us know how you like it. I might be interested in picking one up towards the end of the season. My Arti. Rock. is pretty beat.
 Post Reply Post Reply