Sierra boards going away-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DeathfireD View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DeathfireD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sierra boards going away-
    Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 3:11pm
I've noticed the list of Sierra boards is slowly getting smaller and the prices are falling (compared to 2011). Does anyone know if they're releasing 2013 Sierra boards or if they're ditching the Sierra brand all together (since it's basically just Burton)?
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 3:29pm
well they arnt going to bring an old production back up, and price is going down because its old now. Not too sure whats happening, they dont really keep up in the loop no more
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 3:57pm
I really dont think they're going to have a new release, seems to me that they're trying to get rid of the old stock, they had TONS of it
But after days of Giveaways for I don't know how many years now, plus the drop in price, ppl buying it.
I remember them selling out of the Stunt last year, really popular.
zionmagus View Drop Down
Local
Local
My friend's custom design Forum Mini Youngblood

Quote zionmagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 4:14pm
I'm still hoping to win the Bluebird ^^,  And I kinda wished they give out the Sierra Team and V-Spot instead of 2 Stunts a week. But yeah, they're definitely trying to clear them out.  I mean Reverse Crew and Blue Bird at 65% off plus member's discount is pretty crazy.
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 4:28pm
After the fiasco with Burton, there's 0% chance they Collab with them again. And since this is now a sister, a much smaller less important sister to The-House, I really doubt another Collab board wise is in the works. Sierra is dead kiddies.
DeathfireD View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote DeathfireD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 4:48pm
Kind of figured this was the case. I was unaware that TruSnow got bought out by The House.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 5:35pm
Yeah, i think their done... this is just a site for them to make money... not give stuff away, i dont think their making anything off these anymore
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by DeathfireD

Kind of figured this was the case. I was unaware that TruSnow got bought out by The House.

LOL

http://thench.com/garage/
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 6:28pm
^hahaha classic picture . Nice one!

And I reckon the whole Sierra brand is being phased out, altogether.
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 6:30pm
Haha why is burton up there though? can someone explain
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 6:42pm
yeah, i'm wondering the same thing.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Krazylegz1485

LOL

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's back :)
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 10:49pm

LOL

lol that is funny,  I remember reading about the whole fiasco with Burton.  I am sad that Burton won that battle, because it meant the end of awesome prices.  Sierra made snowboarding affordable to a lot of people, too bad it ended.  Trusnow is is almost like the online version of snowjam.
whitetiger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote whitetiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 7:53am
I hope that Allie warns us once the Sierra boards, particularly the Bluebird, run low. I might be tempted to buy that one, but I'm still holding out hope of winning it first.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 8:09am
Originally posted by whitetiger

I hope that Allie warns us once the Sierra boards, particularly the Bluebird, run low. I might be tempted to buy that one, but I'm still holding out hope of winning it first.

Seeing the Bluebird at 65% plus members additional discount plus free express shipping, that's pretty much a deal from Sierra days (max 70% off).  If you really like the board, I don't think you should wait to see if you'll win the draw... the odds of them running out is probably a lot higher than the odds of winning the board.

Definitely won't see a Sierra collabs anymore... for one, the company no longer exists, and I doubt TruSnow will do anything because it's under the-House and they'll probably focus on their own.  It's seriously a great way to market a company on the hill.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 8:33am
Originally posted by thisisjoebro

Haha why is burton up there though? can someone explain
Burton is on top because they got pissed off at Sierra because they did the 70% off sales, and they almost lost the contract which would have taken sierra out of business. When the house bought sierra (now TruSnow they inherited the problems with burton... Now burton has a strict eye on the house, proboardshop, and TruSnow because of what happened with sierra... basically it is a very shaky relationship that could be broken over the wrong business moves.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 10:18am
At this point, TS is continuing to fall especially with its crap customer service.  Angry
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

At this point, TS is continuing to fall especially with its crap customer service.  Angry

Don't hold back, Angry, tell us how you really feel.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 11:10am

Personally I haven't had any issues with Customer service since the takeover, did have some pretty bad experiences with The House before the merger however. 

IMO the site is losing members in the forums and chat because threads have no character anymore. By preventing abuse of the point system all of the new members are scrutinized probably harder that they should be. How do we expect new people to join when the second they join they are pushed away.

(not complaining about moderators, more of a complaint of the system)
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 11:19am
Originally posted by diviesti

Personally I haven't had any issues with Customer service since the takeover, did have some pretty bad experiences with The House before the merger however. 

IMO the site is losing members in the forums and chat because threads have no character anymore. By preventing abuse of the point system all of the new members are scrutinized probably harder that they should be. How do we expect new people to join when the second they join they are pushed away.

I agree completely, forums are supposed to be fun as well as informative, but when there is a fear of getting spammed for posting, people don't tend to participate as much.  
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by diviesti

Before the take over, I wouldn't say customer service was the best but they were responsive but now they just plain ignore you or give you a cookie cutter response for you to contact customer service for help and then ignore you.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 11:26am
I think that that's partially true but it takes 20 spam posts to get kicked out so its not like its completely unfair if you know what i mean.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 11:50am

Before the take over, I wouldn't say customer service was the best but they were responsive but now they just plain ignore you or give you a cookie cutter response for you to contact customer service for help and then ignore you.  LOL

I believe it, just hasn't happened to me yet *fingers crossed* My first 3 and only 3 orders directly from The House had errors. Wrong stuff shipped, didn't get gloves in an order, incorrect product description and so on. This is actually what drove me to Sierra,  Mike M. helped me out and I still do most of my shopping here even though the parent company I'm not a fan of. I would love nothing more than to see these forums back to there glory days when the first 3 pages of threads are a day old, not a year old.......Confused

The problem I see is the old school members kind of felt bummed out when this place got sold, rightfully so. Even though they still lurk from time to time they don't seem to have any interest. So that leaves us who still want these forums to ThriveLOL and keep the new members who don't care about what happened, and maybe get back some of the old members.

IMO a quick fix is to make reviews for points only available by members who have hit that first tier lift op or whatever its called. Allow one point per 30 minutes of forum and site activity with a limit of 5 per day. That way less spams are hitting the forums and making threads unreadable, thus getting some of the older members to return. Just some thoughts I've had

mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 2:26pm
It sucks that they won't make any more sierra boards...The Sierra Stunt and Sierra RC are my favorite boards to ride.

I just have to take care of my boards even more carefully now since they won't make anymore...
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 2:32pm
Might need to get one of those bluebirds.  Currently priced pretty darn cheap
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 2:42pm
I'd have to say those Sierra boards were very nice boards. I'd still be riding the RC if I didn't have a Thrive board now. Clap
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 4:27pm
If I wasnt so broke, I would buy the RC right now. 65% off plus members discount. Im just really hoping to win one before they run out.
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 5:36pm
dude, lve been waiting since like 1-2yrs ago, wiat in line please =)
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by lightning80

I'd have to say those Sierra boards were very nice boards. I'd still be riding the RC if I didn't have a Thrive board now. Clap
Do i hear a shift in favourites.
Time to go out and try a Thrive

I just got my Sierra RC so now I'm even more stoked to try it, all be it with some crappy bindings but its okay right?

it was a collaboration so I'm sure you can find a board that rides similar...
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 6:26pm

timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 9:27pm
Im a proud owner of a stunt-i find their endangered species status kind of sad but also sort of cool for the people that have one
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 1:53am
Originally posted by jhoang6

I just got my Sierra RC so now I'm even more stoked to try it, all be it with some crappy bindings but its okay right?

The RC is very nice.  It's comparable to the Burton Custom V Rocker.  Have you tried rocker before?  It's feels pretty solid and the base is fast, just make sure you keep it waxed.  Don't wait too long between waxing because it slows down noticeably.   I liked it, but kept the Stunt over it for more play with true twin.  What bindings are you pairing with it?

Originally posted by timpiper

Im a proud owner of a stunt-i find their endangered species status kind of sad but also sort of cool for the people that have one

Exactly!  We're now owners of limited edition boards!  Rare collectors pieces.  People ask me about Sierra on the hill from time to time, it was easy to refer them to the old website, not as applicable these days. LOL
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 4:22am
I really like my Sierra Crew, it's so stable at high speeds, just tears up the groomers.

I've also got a brand new Sierra Stunt that I've never even ridden, won it in a contest last year.  I'll probably give it a shot this year since everyone has been saying how fun it is to ride.  it seems super flexible when i've carpet boarded with it.

The only other time I've seen a Sierra board in action was at Mt Tremblant 2 years ago at Christmas.  I'm from Ontario so they probably dont' get up this far very often.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 4:28am
I just bought a board and I don't own any of the Sierra's board. Was very close on buying one two weeks ago but I found something else I like. Guess I'll try my luck with the free give away drawing.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 4:59am
I anticipate buying a Reverse Crew very soon.  I don't care that it is basically 3 years old.  Bottom line- You're getting a brand new Burton Custom V Rocker for $180 shipped.

As far as The House is concerned, I love Allie and the rest of the staff. They are doing a great job and they will continue to get my business.

scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 5:25am
Originally posted by chillwill

I anticipate buying a Reverse Crew very soon.  I don't care that it is basically 3 years old.  Bottom line- You're getting a brand new Burton Custom V Rocker for $180 shipped.

You would really compare the RC to a Burton Custom Flying V... I know it was originally a Burton product but I think a custom is a bit higher end than a RC
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 6:27am
Originally posted by coolz

dude, lve been waiting since like 1-2yrs ago, wiat in line please =)

oh gee, that is soooo long. Wacko
Ejekted View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Ejekted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 6:34am
Originally posted by zionmagus

I'm still hoping to win the Bluebird ^^,  And I kinda wished they give out the Sierra Team and V-Spot instead of 2 Stunts a week. But yeah, they're definitely trying to clear them out.  I mean Reverse Crew and Blue Bird at 65% off plus member's discount is pretty crazy.

If you win any of the boards and want to swap for the v-spot just send TruSnow a message. I won a few years ago and they let me order a v-spot instead!
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 6:35am
I thought the RC had the shape of the Custom V rocker, but the materials/flex of the Burton Process.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 8:03am

Yes, I now have a new favorite. But the RC is still a very good board and I took it to all kinds of different conditions. The only problem I had with it was because it's a reverse camber board, it doesn't hold the edge well for carving. A hybrid board has the advantages of the playfullness of the reverse camber center, but is still able to hold an edge because it's cambered from the boots to near the ends. For those that haven't tried one, I think it's worth a demo.
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by humblerooster

If I wasnt so broke, I would buy the RC right now. 65% off plus members discount. Im just really hoping to win one before they run out.

or you could just get more than one to have more in your quiver for different kinds of riding :3
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by scuddera

You would really compare the RC to a Burton Custom Flying V... I know it was originally a Burton product but I think a custom is a bit higher end than a RC

He said Custom V Rocker, which is what the RC was based on years ago.  He didn't say Custom Flying V (which is a hybrid rocker).  

$180 shipped is a REALLY good deal, almost as good as the Sierra days.  If any of you are still contemplating, get off the fence and buy one before it's too late and they're all out.
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 2:06pm

As far as The House is concerned, I love Allie and the rest of the staff. They are doing a great job and they will continue to get my business.

Went with a buddy to The House clearance center (right next door to The House) last weekend.  Dude's first qualifying question to a kid looking to buy a new board "So what sort of graphics are you interested in?"
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 2:13pm

Went with a buddy to The House clearance center (right next door to The House) last weekend.  Dude's first qualifying question to a kid looking to buy a new board "So what sort of graphics are you interested in?"
Has that what its come to? what graphics you dig?
why not just strap him to a left ski and say this is the new toothpick design and we offer custom graphics.
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 2:19pm
"Uhh, you might need some binding risers with that, otherwise you'll probably end up with some serious heel & toe drag."

They also had a Sierra Crew on the wall of clearance boards for sale.  I couldn't help but laugh.  Told my buddy he should buy it as a collectible. 

In the regular House showroom they had Rome S90's and Union Purple Rains on the shelf.  I wonder how many people buy them without knowing their background (the bindings, not the business). 
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 2:20pm
@ fj5
I've tried a rocker before but only in a short demo down in dundas square, I believe it was the Nug. Always thought the Sierra RC was as playful, now I'm not so sure. Got my facts all messed up with this one.
Pairing the S. RC with Solomon Force don't ask me what year.. 07? 08? its an old pair i picked up from Dick's

Thanks for the tips though really good to know what kinda stick i'm riding.

thought this was a true twin. how did I miss that it was directional.

i can't check the site to see the specs on the Stunt now that its sold out.
edit: thanks krazylegz

Since you've tried it on different conditions, how would you say it rides for our groomers and hardpacked?
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 2:27pm
What kinda specs? 

http://www.trusnow.com/Sierra-Stunt-Snowboards.asp

Link seems to work and you can view sizes and specs of everything still.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 2:27pm

In the regular House showroom they had Rome S90's and Union Purple Rains on the shelf.  I wonder how many people buy them without knowing their background (the bindings, not the business). 
It's probably up to the staff to fill in the blanks on that one or if the buyer is really knowledgeable or is with a friend who is.. ie krazylegz..

After being here with TS I still don't think I know the whole story behind it.. just bits and pieces.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 2:29pm

What kinda specs? 

http://www.trusnow.com/Sierra-Stunt-Snowboards.asp

Link seems to work and you can view sizes and specs of everything still.
SONUVA...Angry
thanks that was my own stupidity yes it is still there.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 10:56pm

@ fj5
I've tried a rocker before but only in a short demo down in dundas square, I believe it was the Nug. Always thought the Sierra RC was as playful, now I'm not so sure. Got my facts all messed up with this one.
Pairing the S. RC with Solomon Force don't ask me what year.. 07? 08? its an old pair i picked up from Dick's

Thanks for the tips though really good to know what kinda stick i'm riding.

thought this was a true twin. how did I miss that it was directional.

i can't check the site to see the specs on the Stunt now that its sold out.
edit: thanks krazylegz

Since you've tried it on different conditions, how would you say it rides for our groomers and hardpacked?

I enjoyed riding the RC at Blue Mountain.  It's quite light and you can definitely feel the difference when you're in the air in the middle of a jump (not so much while riding).  It's not fully directional... it's directional twin.  So the shape is twin, but the flex is a bit more stiff in the tail for turns and efficiency and the nose flex is long and soft for powder and stability.  It's still quite playful and riding switch is still easier than a true directional board, the rocker helps a lot with that too.  

I've ridden the RC at Blue and at Whistler so from icy packed groomers to somewhat damp pow, it really is an All Mtn board.  It's very smooth on groomers, you might get pushed around on harder chop a bit but it's pretty solid.  If you've never ridden rocker before, be extra mindful of carving on icy terrain... it just doesn't feel the same as camber.  You'll know what I mean when you do it.

You'll probably love it.  It was my fav at one point.  I don't know what you're riding now so YMMV.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>