Buy a blemish board-

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Maximilian_Slade View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maximilian_Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buy a blemish board-
    Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 3:18am
Hello, would you buy a board with a blemish like that? it is a new nidecker ultralight, for US$ 529. How would it react when riding powder, ice slopes, and when I fart the board, coudl the layers unglue? has someone already tried a board with a defect like that?

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 3:30am
blemish is usually just a minor and superficial defect. Youd have to show us pictures of the blemish in question though to know what youre talking about. However for the most part it shouldnt have any structural issues at all. If it did have they wouldnt sell it, theyd just scrap it. 
m00m
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Maximilian_Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 3:41am
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 4:13am
Max, That doesnt look that bad. Nothing a sticker can't fix and I don't think it will affect performance.

I got a blem board too! just a few topsheet paint goofs and it's a Custom flying v blem from TruSnow However, it looks to be a ptex filling at the tip of the base of the board. I don't mind if it was a clean job but this looks like it's peeling. Should I talk to TruSnow about it? I'll post picture when I get home.... not sure if this is bad bad.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Maximilian_Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 4:22am
A sticker on the base of the board? On the top, I understand, but on the base...
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 5:09am
Originally posted by Maximilian_Slade

Hello, would you buy a board with a blemish like that? it is a new nidecker ultralight, for US$ 529. How would it react when riding powder, ice slopes, and when I fart the board, coudl the layers unglue? has someone already tried a board with a defect like that?

Why would you "fart the board" and what does that even mean?

A sticker on the base of the board? On the top, I understand, but on the base...

My guess is he thought the blemish was on the topsheet, not the base.  The blemish appears to be on the base, you can get that shiz repaired or do it yourself, although for $529 I would expect a new unblemished board.  Where in the world are you located?
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 5:30am
Not without a big discount.  If you are paying full price for anything these days with internet shopping it better be perfect!
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Maximilian_Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 5:52am
I am from Belgium. The full price of the board (http://www.nidecker.com/Ultralight.html) is US$ 1K.

Due to its specific carbon/nano carbon construction, I have real doubts that this blemish is only cosmetic. I may be wrong, but for me the board needs a baseweld, and thus, with a new baseweld, I will loose the properties of the original base material.

What is your opinion.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 7:10am

I am from Belgium. The full price of the board (http://www.nidecker.com/Ultralight.html) is US$ 1K.

Due to its specific carbon/nano carbon construction, I have real doubts that this blemish is only cosmetic. I may be wrong, but for me the board needs a baseweld, and thus, with a new baseweld, I will loose the properties of the original base material.

What is your opinion.
If it's already discounted almost 50% it's obviously a pretty big deal.  It's up to you to determine if the risk/reward is worth it.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 7:43am
personally I would never spend $500 on a board, let alone a blemished board... I don't care what it's made out of. I've ridden camber, flat, reverse, magne traction and other different tech and for me, none of it made such a huge difference for me to shell out extra $. If you have other options in Belgium, just get something cheaper and new. Trust me, you spend all your time researching a board and get sold on the spec's and marketing, but when you strap in, its still just about your skills.  
Its not fun unless its sketchy
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 8:54am
i wouldnt dude... not for 500 bucks... if it was a nick in the topsheet maybe but on the base im staying away.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 10:22am
That's the base dude, I would return that board or warranty it or something because 500 bucks for a defective board base  is a no no.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 11:31am
Yeah, that's definitely a bit more than a minor blemish. A blemished top sheet is one thing but a blemished base like that is not worth the money you paid for it.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 12:22pm
Definitely a tough call only because you are overseas. If you were in the states I would say hellllllll nah. 1k for a board sounds super steep.I would just look for a new board
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 1:08pm
When I read 1k for the board that stopped me dead in my tracks.. and closed the window..
Price gouging where you're from
I would pass on the board, return it immediately.

I dunno how prices are for yah on other gear but GL>
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 1:15pm
Try finding a place to base grind it. It may help even out the surface
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 1:53pm

Yeah, sorry. Thought it looked like the top sheet. Here's what the tip of my base looks like. It's not wax, I tried to lightly scrape it off already. Looks like the ptex on the left side is starting to peel/flake? Looks like it's not fixed properly but the damage is pretty big don't you guys think? Should I talk to Allie or George?

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 1:56pm
Is that board the same construction as the Jones flagship premier?  Sick deck.  Get after it, that blem is no prob

-b
get bent
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 2:00pm
I would not buy that board. Nidecker's high-end sintered base (9000) is most likely beyond the repair skills of 99% of all shop technicians... I would not want to guess the cost involved if it is, indeed, repairable at all. It is also crosshatch stone-ground like a race board.
Originally posted by jhoang6

When I read 1k for the board that stopped me dead in my tracks.. and closed the window..
Price gouging where you're from
I would pass on the board, return it immediately.

I dunno how prices are for yah on other gear but GL>
That's pretty average pricing in Europe. Americans get the absolute cheapest prices in the world for snowboard gear, so it's unfair to use it as a reference.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 2:01pm
My board's doing the same thing, but not as bad, yet. Wax just doesn't want to stick some places, and when I scrape lightly, the base ends up looking super dry. It hasn't affected my riding at all, so I think I'll just go with it until- well, we'll see. You base looks worse, but I don't think it'll affect how it rides. I don't know if there's a wood core that far into the nose, so I don't know if you have much to worry about. Is it more of a crack or scratch?
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by julius77

My board's doing the same thing, but not as bad, yet. Wax just doesn't want to stick some places, and when I scrape lightly, the base ends up looking super dry. It hasn't affected my riding at all, so I think I'll just go with it until- well, we'll see. You base looks worse, but I don't think it'll affect how it rides. I don't know if there's a wood core that far into the nose, so I don't know if you have much to worry about. Is it more of a crack or scratch?

It's more of a crack. What worries me is that it's at the very tip! if I run into like a tree or something head first, I'm afraid the board might split or make an even larger crack.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 9:38pm
If that's not core showing I would get a base grind and even out the base. If it's a rocker board and it's close to the nose I wouldn't worry about it too much. Running into a tree and cracking it in 1/2 is the least of your problems. Core exposure is. If it's showing core, it's not worth it. You get water into your board it's done.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Online Status: Online
  Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 2:03am

So you haven't purchased it yet?  Is someone selling it used but saying it's new?  It sounds like a crazy deal from original MSRP there but it shouldn't look like that, you're still spending a lot of money.  Did you ask why the seller was selling it?

It doesn't look that bad, maybe max $300 but I dunno about $500+.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 3:20am
Yeah kind of wierd how they call that a small blemish, usually it is on the top sheet not base imperfection. Maybe you should call manufacturer and say it's a defect? 
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/JennyLi
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 3:21am

Warrantee if it fails? I personally would steer clear of this type of potential hassle.

haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 4:10am
I'm going to read up on the warranty for blemish boards. It looks like they have this hot iron stamp on the tail of my base "2nd" so they'll know this is a blem board if anything goes wrong.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Maximilian_Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 4:23am
I haven't bouht it yet. The seller has a perfect one for 749 US$ and that one for 549 US$ (instead of 1K). It is the tail that has the blemish and not the nose. The wooden core is what frightens me the most. I've added 2 more pics. 

Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Maximilian_Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 4:24am
The seller tells me that the core is not exposed - there is a normal layer of a high grade p-tex the base is made of, which is normally sprayed with layer of graphite . The surface is flat.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 5:27am
Hmmm. I haven't had issues with ptex peeling off but I've only ptex long thin lines and not a big gash. Geez, it's in the spot where you'll have most contact too. I wouldn't take it if it was a good deal, but if it's saving you lots of money, I'd take it and just stay away from ice and park. Like everyone was saying, for $500 it's a high-end board in the US.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 10:21pm
I wouldn't get it...looks sketchy. Like other's said, for $500+ there are other bad a$$ boards out there in that price range. And if you really want that model, throw in the extra $200 for that better board and piece of mind.
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 12:25am
I would definitely not buy a snowboard for that much blemish or not.  I know you said that the construction is carbon/nano.  How much better can it be than a regular quality board that you can buy for less than $250 now ..
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 1:42am
I'm curious, have you been snowboarding for a while?  Is there something particular about this board that you're interested in?  Is it the specs on paper or have you demo'ed it before?  

I bought into the hype of the Burton Vapor (retails for $1200 here in Canada) when I was able to catch it for $550 after taxes brand new (2010 model purchased in 2011).  No blemishes, fortunately.  At this point, I had already ridden several different models and was already able to tell the differences.  Although I didn't demo it, I had an idea as to what I was getting into before the purchase.  I asked a lot of questions about the board and did a lot of research.  I love my Vapor!  But I would NOT recommend it for a beginner.

We don't know much about your previous riding experience but based on your questions about the base, it doesn't sound like you've been riding for very long (no offense at all).  Will this be your first board?
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 1:47am
slade, think about this. Your worrying BEFORE your bought it, imagine when you actually buy it the actual mental unrest you would be in. I say get soemthign else, or the non-blem one 
for fantastic outdoor deals, checkout:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/KelvinChung
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 6:15am
Don't get the blemish board.
500 is too much.

It's a trap.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 8:48am
Getting my Custom FV to the shop today to get an estimate to fix the bad ptex job. If it cost a lot i will return it to TruSnow Hope it's cheap!
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 10:13am
Originally posted by haiv143

It's more of a crack. What worries me is that it's at the very tip! if I run into like a tree or something head first, I'm afraid the board might split or make an even larger crack.

Getting my Custom FV to the shop today to get an estimate to fix the bad ptex job. If it cost a lot i will return it to TruSnow Hope it's cheap!

Based on your pictures, I wouldn't worry about it so much.  That's on the nose right?  You'll hardly ever really utilize that part of your board.  I can't tell if that white part on the left side is underneath the wax or not.  I'm assuming underneath.  And the rest of the "smudge" area along the tip would probably be remedied with a couple passes of the hot wax iron.  I wouldn't do that until you need to rewax your whole board after several days of riding.

If anything you should contact TruSnow and send them your pictures and perhaps they'll give you an additional discount for the blemish out of the box.  Hopefully you took pictures before you scraped it.  

If you run into a tree headfirst, you shouldn't be worried so much about the board, more so your head.  And no, I don't see the board cracking further or splitting if that did happen.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 11:47am
Originally posted by fj5

Based on your pictures, I wouldn't worry about it so much.  That's on the nose right?  You'll hardly ever really utilize that part of your board.  I can't tell if that white part on the left side is underneath the wax or not.  I'm assuming underneath.  And the rest of the "smudge" area along the tip would probably be remedied with a couple passes of the hot wax iron.  I wouldn't do that until you need to rewax your whole board after several days of riding.

If anything you should contact TruSnow and send them your pictures and perhaps they'll give you an additional discount for the blemish out of the box.  Hopefully you took pictures before you scraped it.  

If you run into a tree headfirst, you shouldn't be worried so much about the board, more so your head.  And no, I don't see the board cracking further or splitting if that did happen.

The crack is underneath the "white smudge" you speak of and it's ptex. I've already tried using my wax iron running over it a few times and lightly scrapping it off. It seems to get deeper and deeper as I iron the board and lightly scrape it. I don't care about performance since it's at the tip but what I'm worried about is longevity. We'll see what the local shop say.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 2:37pm

I haven't bouht it yet. The seller has a perfect one for 749 US$ and that one for 549 US$ (instead of 1K). It is the tail that has the blemish and not the nose. The wooden core is what frightens me the most. I've added 2 more pics. 

Haha I would take $200 to let someone do that to any of my boards

-b
get bent
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 8:59am
So I dropped by the shop last night to get an estimate on the ptex fix on my tip of my board. They said it'll cost $25 to redo the ptex and I went ahead and paid it. Not happy with that $25 out of my pocket but it's only a bit more money than paying shipping back to TruSnow Only reason why I didnt return it is because I bought EST bindings already and the boards and sizes I want TruSnow ran out of. Cry
rosati777 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Calvin and Hobbes Extreme Sports

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2012 at 10:14am
Are there any trusted websites to get these blemished boards from?
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by rosati777

Are there any trusted websites to get these blemished boards from?

From my POV it's the ones that have good return policies. ie TruSnow or TheHouse. I havn't tried anywhere else.
rosati777 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2012 at 5:31am
Wait I couldn't find blemished boards? Do you mean used boards?

I remember this guy I met one time told me he had bought his board for like $80 on some website because it had a scratch on it/ blemish or whatever but it was brand new.

I can't remember the name of the site or find it with google. It sold new boards at discount because they were damaged slightly.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2012 at 1:32pm

I remember this guy I met one time told me he had bought his board for like $80 on some website because it had a scratch on it/ blemish or whatever but it was brand new.

I can't remember the name of the site or find it with google. It sold new boards at discount because they were damaged slightly.

Maybe all the ones you're looking for is Sold Out. I know I bought the last Custom Flying V Japan's Edition.
If you type "blem" in the search box at the top of the webpage under Shopping it'll show you bunch of blemished snowboards/skis and etc. Good luck!
MATTSTERBATOR View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MATTSTERBATOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 11:31pm
Looks like a cosmetic blemish. I wouldn't worry about the performance of the board at all. Buy it if the price is right for you. Big smile
M.Bilenki
rosati777 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 12:26pm

Maybe all the ones you're looking for is Sold Out. I know I bought the last Custom Flying V Japan's Edition.
If you type "blem" in the search box at the top of the webpage under Shopping it'll show you bunch of blemished snowboards/skis and etc. Good luck!

AHAh!! It Worked!! too bad there aren't any 100 dollar and below blem boards
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 2:07pm

AHAh!! It Worked!! too bad there aren't any 100 dollar and below blem boards

Yeah... either there aren't any under 100 or it's low-end boards. But pretty cool to know there's such a thing as blemished boards and TruSnow has a variety of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply