New Year Resolution 2013

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Year Resolution 2013
    Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 5:40pm
I couldn't find anything related to New Year Resolution thread in TruSnow forum so I'll start one off. If there is another thread already open please let me know so we can post to that.

Since we're nearing 2013, what's your resolution? It doesn't have to be snowboard related but it does have to be realistic. I'll go first:

Land a jump higher than 5 feet
Land a 180
Gain 5lbs of muscle before summer
Kill a bear with my bare hands  <-- Not realistic (unless you're Chuck Norris)

mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 10:14pm
Definitely want to bulk up another 5-10 pounds...then time to cut off all the fat!

Land some tame-dogs on the mountain

Pass all my classes in school. hah.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 10:58pm
I never really like to set resolutions for myself, per se.  But I do like to keep in mind certain things I would like to work on for myself.

For starters, I would like to drink less.  Not that I'm an alcoholic or anything,  but I would like to limit drinking to the weekends or when I'm with friends.  I don't like when I drink because of boredom.

I would also like to exercise more.  Whether that involves playing a sport or going jogging, doesn't matter.

I would probably like to lose a few more pounds and eat even healthier than I have been.
snowflakez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowflakez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 11:43am
every year i make resolutions that i never get started on.
this year is definitely gonna be different ( not likely) but stil...
volunteer in my community more.
start eating healthier.
watch less T.V.
try to get a decent job.
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 12:32pm
Loose 5lbs of fat and gain 10 lbs in muscle .. so hard to do..

Just enjoy life and be good to others.. 
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 11:55am
To find a new job!
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 12:03pm
better work/life balance
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 1:35pm
better grades, more money/less loans
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 2:26pm
Take the time to enjoy life. I feel all I've been doing is work and neglected my personal life.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 5:15pm
My New Year's Resolution is to stop procrastinating and do things on time. I have a bad habit of waiting until the last minute to complete tasks :/
lbparalist View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lbparalist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 8:59am
Get a job
gain 10+ pounds
stop with the "i don't know" 
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 9:02am
My new years resolution is to work out 3+ times a week.
"Sign up for the Daily give away at Thrive. http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/rp/66964"
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 9:03am
get finished with my degree and get a promotion in my job and military
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 9:22am
Ride goofy.
Tone the body.
Save at least 30k.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Tahsha View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Tahsha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 10:02am
Method and frontside boardslide! 
dpettet View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote dpettet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 10:29am
stop a 360, any tips?
Don
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 10:55am
Find a new job!
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 11:13am
I need to gain more muscle, go work out at the gym more. I'm always cold cuz I have <7% fat, haha
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 11:30am
Originally posted by dpettet

stop a 360, any tips?

Tip 1. Try throwing 3's on the floor, just on your feet. This helps me with muscle memory for spins and having a reference point of how it feels. 

Tip 2. This is only for frontsides as I'm still working on backside 3's. When you are in the air and at 270 degrees, instead of turning your head over your shoulder to complete the 360, look down at the landing which at this point should be directly underneath your feet and in front of you. Spot your landing and just turn your feet the last 90 degrees while your head and shoulders are holding the position a bit as you look at the landing. This can help from overspinning after you land. Another tip is to try to land more flat, which will be easier to stick than landing heelside with all that momentum. But looking down at the landing rather than turning your head to complete the 360 is a good tip to stomp. 

Tip 3 Which actually might seem crazy is to just try throwing 5's if you are constantly overspinning after your 3 because it seems like your body wants to throw that extra rotation. Of course, this means you need a little more speed, pop and spin off the lip to land the 5, but working on 5's will make your 3's seems slower and should have more control with the easier (lesser) rotation now that you have a reference point of a 540 rotation. 

But like everything else, just keep at it. 
Its not fun unless its sketchy
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 11:42am
Originally posted by kirium81

stop a 360, any tips?

Tip 1. Try throwing 3's on the floor, just on your feet. This helps me with muscle memory for spins and having a reference point of how it feels. 
Tip 2. This is only for frontsides as I'm still working on backside 3's. When you are in the air and at 270 degrees, instead of turning your head over your shoulder to complete the 360, look down at the landing which at this point should be directly underneath your feet and in front of you. Spot your landing and just turn your feet the last 90 degrees while your head and shoulders are holding the position a bit as you look at the landing. This can help from overspinning after you land. Another tip is to try to land more flat, which will be easier to stick than landing heelside with all that momentum. But looking down at the landing rather than turning your head to complete the 360 is a good tip to stomp. 
Tip 3 Which actually might seem crazy is to just try throwing 5's if you are constantly overspinning after your 3 because it seems like your body wants to throw that extra rotation. Of course, this means you need a little more speed, pop and spin off the lip to land the 5, but working on 5's will make your 3's seems slower and should have more control with the easier (lesser) rotation now that you have a reference point of a 540 rotation. 

I agree with these tips. Looking completely down when landing fs 360s is going to work but your style is going to be sloppy. It looks alot better when you look over your shoulder because your body stays up right.

For Backside 360s really turn your shoulders right when you get off the lip. The quicker you can turn your head to spot the landing the better chance you have of stomping your first 360 because youll know exactly where you are at in the air and you can making accommodations a lot easier. I prefer bs 360s because you pop off the toes and I find that easier.

Good Luck
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 12:06pm
Complete my final year of uni with no hiccups
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by humblerooster

stop a 360, any tips?

I agree with these tips. Looking completely down when landing fs 360s is going to work but your style is going to be sloppy. It looks alot better when you look over your shoulder because your body stays up right.

For Backside 360s really turn your shoulders right when you get off the lip. The quicker you can turn your head to spot the landing the better chance you have of stomping your first 360 because youll know exactly where you are at in the air and you can making accommodations a lot easier. I prefer bs 360s because you pop off the toes and I find that easier.

Good Luck

Here's my problem with bs 3's... I know you should rotate a lot on the lip but my problem is keeping my horizontal axis. I find that i'm too corked off the lip so i always land too far on my tail or worse, the board doesn't even touch the ground as I'm laid out on the landing LOL. I guess I just need to learn to throw it without loosing my horizontal axis (not leaning too forward on the lip as I initiate the turn). And yeah, bs's look hella cleaner! I just started bs 3's last week, hopefully this long weekend i'll be able to start landing consistently.   
Its not fun unless its sketchy
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 12:37pm

Here's my problem with bs 3's... I know you should rotate a lot on the lip but my problem is keeping my horizontal axis. I find that i'm too corked off the lip so i always land too far on my tail or worse, the board doesn't even touch the ground as I'm laid out on the landing LOL. I guess I just need to learn to throw it without loosing my horizontal axis (not leaning too forward on the lip as I initiate the turn). And yeah, bs's look hella cleaner! I just started bs 3's last week, hopefully this long weekend i'll be able to start landing consistently.   

I used to have this issue a ton. Just keeping your shoulders square and not dipping back into the jump helped me.

Or just spin like crazy and stomp a corked out 7.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 5:03pm
My New Year's resolution is also to stay fit and get in better shape. I have to cut down on junk food like chips and start eating more fruits and veggies DX
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 5:06pm
Finish my portfolio
SnowAddiction View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote SnowAddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 5:16pm
Produce new video tutorials that show even more great snowboard tricks for you to try and impress your friends
rosati777 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Calvin and Hobbes Extreme Sports

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 6:24pm
get a 6 pick abs
bulk up
save more money than i spend
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 12:04am
I too am hoping to get my 6 pack back... want to get super ripped and work on my flexibility again.  Hope to choreograph an epic hip hop dance piece as well as start uploading videos on YouTube again.  I would also like to get a new place and set up a home photo studio which will hopefully lead to increased income.  Wish me luck! Thumbs Up  Good luck to everyone else!

EDIT:  Forgot to mention my snowboarding goals... I'd like to be able to do 360's on flat ground and also learn how to 180/360 off jumps.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 10:09am
Get in great running shape for the summer races
Land a 3 and a 5.
hit a bunch of rails that scare me
pay off my credit card
pass all my classes and move closer to graduation
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 10:14am
To stay employed
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 11:20am
To finally grow a big beard.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 7:46pm
My goals are:
Try to buy a new truck. (new to me.)
Get a better job that pays more.
Get down to see old friends more than twice.

It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
rideclaps802 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote rideclaps802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2012 at 3:35am
Try new things-
get a better job
270 off a rail
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2012 at 5:35am
More money.
More sex.
Not mutually exclusive.
GOBANANAS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GOBANANAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2012 at 6:39am

I found that if you have a goal, that you might not reach it. But if you don't have one, then you are never disappointed. And I gotta tell ya... it feels phenomenal

solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 6:34am
Anyone fail on their resolutions yet?
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 6:39am
well l said to myself l would eat more healthy... technically last night l only went through a stack of pizza and fries. NOt yet?
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/JennyLi
GoldDragon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GoldDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 7:31am
My new years resolution is to move out of my families house and go boarding a lot more I also plan on proposing.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 9:34am
I thought you do not start on your resolutions until after the new year and new year day doesn't count because it's a holiday.  LOL
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 9:42am
Originally posted by rye

well l said to myself l would eat more healthy... technically last night l only went through a stack of pizza and fries. NOt yet?

Gawd dang it! I just started out my first meal of the year with frozen pizza without realizing it. It's going to be interesting year. I'm really looking forward to all the great to come moments.
shreddog_123 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Duck season

Quote shreddog_123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 10:19am
bro tell me about it. I hate it when that day (everyday) comes and you sit there thinking "aight I'll start tomorrow" this year I really want to read my bible more... like 50% of everyone else would like to do. haha
Do you know God???
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 10:15am
Start running again.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 10:27am
Originally posted by julius77

Start running again.

Have you read the book "Born to Run"?  It will get your running again.  I wasn't a runner until I read that book.  It will get you motivated. 
"Sign up for the Daily give away at Thrive. http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/rp/66964"
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 10:28am

Start running again.

I said the same thing last year, but never happened.  LOL
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 10:32am
Thanks for the encouragement, Angry Confused. Letourneau41- I will check it out for sure.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 11:20am
Originally posted by letourneau41

Start running again.

Have you read the book "Born to Run"?  It will get your running again.  I wasn't a runner until I read that book.  It will get you motivated. 

Like are you one of those crazy marathon runners now?  Julius, always here to help!  Big smile
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 11:30am
I ran for about a month last summer. Gave up because it was averagely 105 F. that month. Once you stop you won't pick yourself back up! at least I didn't.
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 11:38am
Gain 50 - 60 pounds & become a middle linebacker or strong safety in the NFL!!! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply