Concerned about board length

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Krun View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Krun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concerned about board length
    Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 11:36am
Hello there.

I've recently bought a new board and I'm a little bit concerned about its lenght. I can still return it and get a longer one, so I would like to ask around to decide what to do.

I am 177cm (5'9'') and weight 79kg (175 lbs). The board I bought is 155cm long (reverse camber, if that does matter). According to the salesperson it was the appropriate size for me, but he only checked the "chin height rule" and didn't even ask about my weight. Reading a bit on the internet I've found that a bit longer board might be better for my weight.

My level is intermediate (on the lower levels of the intermediate range, I'd say :P) and I go mostly freeride, doing fast runs from time to time and want to start learning some flat tricks. Most people recommend a 158 cm or longer board for my weight. Would those 3cm make a noticeable difference?

Thanks for your attention :)

irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote irish-boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 1:32pm
I'd personally stick with the board you have. A smaller board is more nimble and easier to have fun with, specially in the park. I personally prefer a shorter board unless i'm rampaging through deep powder. At the end of the day it's up to how the board feels when you buckled in.
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 2:18pm
I am on the other side I like a longer board, more stable and floats better. Yes you can tell the difference between 3cm.  
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 3:18pm
1cm here or there is a bit negligible.... but 3 or more CAN be noticable..

you having a 155 at 175lbs might not be too catastrophic, but i wouldnt plan to ride it all-mtn or at high speed.....
your weight and size, you will prolly be ok with most park features........ just not quuite big jumps....

personally i would prolly be at the 57-59 range for your weight and depending on preference, maybe bigger.... for all-mtn stuffs

Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 4:37pm
Since you didn't mention doing park stuff I would size up to 158. When I was first starting out doing fast runs and little bits of powder here and there I had two similar boards (149 and 152). The longer board was easier to control on fast runs and powder compared to my shorter board. Easier to turn, link those carves, and float through powder.

You also mentioned doing some flat tricks, if they're simple jumps and butters I don't think sizing up would be an issue.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 5:01pm
I ride a lot of park so I like my boards at 151. I've also ridden a 152 and it felt pretty much the same. If you don't ride park you should move up above a 155
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 6:26pm
Stick to this board until your skill level raises to upper intermediate and then eventually to advanced. Try to really get a sense for the board and how the physics work withe mountain. I'm taller than you and about the same weight and I rode a 150 for a while until I really excelled. Nw ill ride anywhere from a 155-161.
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 6:44pm
the chin rule is very basic, doesn't do justice. THen agan from what l notice, l do like shorter boards and have similar weights to you. Your decision, wont make you a scrub to a pro 
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/JennyLi
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 7:31pm
I feel 155 would be fine but 158 could be better if all your gonna do is freeride. If exchanging it will make you feel more comfortable with your purchase I say do it. I hate it when I buy something, think about exchanging it and don't. Later I get mad at myself for not doing it.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 8:05pm
I'd stay where your at if it was me. its very easy to have to much board. like me i have that problem. when i bought my first board i bought a 166 because thats what the internet said to get... after riding it for a while ive found its to much board for what i want to do. Picks up speed way to quickly for the shorter runs, and its not very responsive at all. I'm 6'3 220lbs. i ideally wanna be on a 158-162... and most of these guys on here are gonna look at that number and tell me im crazy... but its all comes down to preference and what your comfortable riding. For me thats what i like more. ride a longer board if you can and make your decision from there. dont just base it off what the internet says, you may like it better where your at.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
MurphyMasta View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MurphyMasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 8:08pm
155 seems fine to me. I'm 5' 10 and 175 and I prefer a 53 or 55
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 8:14pm
I'm 5'8" 158lbs and I've been riding 155-157 in the park and all mtn.  I will say that at times I wish I went shorter for those days I want to just have fun working on tricks on the flats (similar to what you mentioned above).  Given that, I think you'll have a lot of fun with your 155, but as people said above, you may need something longer if you wish to pick up more speed, especially in steeper trails and definitely if there's deep pow.  

What length were you riding before?  Was this your first board purchase (rentals only before)?
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 8:27pm
I am 5'10 176 and have always had 157-159 and they have all been just great. I did a lot of research and renting before I bought my own.
DarksideGTI View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DarksideGTI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 7:18am
I'm 6'2" and 220. My "powder" board is a 162 Rome Flag, but I've been thinking about stepping up to a longer board for more float. Burton has a board finder that takes into account your weight and it recommended a 169 for me. I may give it a shot and see how I like the longer board.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 8:10am
Originally posted by DarksideGTI

I'm 6'2" and 220. My "powder" board is a 162 Rome Flag, but I've been thinking about stepping up to a longer board for more float. Burton has a board finder that takes into account your weight and it recommended a 169 for me. I may give it a shot and see how I like the longer board.

169 is definately too long... your like me rock a 166 for the pow... youll be set you will find it very hard to find a board that is the length that isnt a ton of money. you also wont have that much variety if you go to the 164-166 range i think youd be perfect.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 8:12am
have you read ippy's guide on snowboards? if not go to the sizing section
Krun View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Krun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 11:36am
Wow guys, thank you very much for all your comments!!

This is my first purchase. So far I have only ridden rented boards and they were generally a bit longer (about 159, up to my nose) when I got this one I thought three centimeters might not be so noticeable, but now I learnt the difference.

After reading all your posts and ippy's guide I've decided to go for a longer board. I can't afford having different tables now and I'll probably have to stick to this one for the next two or three years, so I don't want to feel limited when I get a bit more experienced and want to hit higher speeds.

Thank you very much for all your replies! :)
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 1:48pm
im about the same as you now, (weight gain 3000!!!! BEEEEEFCAKE!!!), im also 2 cms shorter which annoys me :( 

My scope is 156, its fine.
My charlie is 164 its fine.
My berzerker is 158, its fine.
My quiver killer was 157, its fine.
My airobic is 155, its fine.
My riot is 155 and it sucks. 

This is because of the following...

The scope and airobic are fine because they are softer boards and thkind of boards you dont necessarily want to bomb shit with, but just cruise on... whether thats cruising the groomers, mucking around in the sidepiste, or heading off into the trees. 
The scope is fine because its rocker, so you dont really lose float. And the airobic was fine because its just perfect fo spinning around on.

THe riot sucks because its supposed to be my do it all go-to board. Its super stiff and super poppy, but it has seriously bad float. So its kind of in some no mans land of neither delivering the ride i want, nor delivering a substitute ride i can enjoy (like maybe the airobic did). Instead it just kinda feels too stiff to cruise and play about on, and too short to float and keep stable. I put it pretty much down to the size of the board. Were i to have picked up the 159 instead (or a 2012+ 157 where the TBT was extended through the nose and tail and kicked up the float a bit more) i may have enjoyed it. Then again, it just might have been a bit too much at the end of the day. Whatever it is, the size features in my head as a causal explanation and i cant shake it regardless of whether im right or wrong. 

The point is, half of sizing seems to be a psychological thing. You CAN ride a 155 at your weight, its literally a cm shorter than my sierrascope which i never contemplate or feel bothered by the length (though i might have done a couple of years ago), but if youre looking for the board for an all mountain do everything type of board, its probably more safe to stick around the 158 size range. At our weight, 157-160 is pretty decent for our sizes. Of course, you can move up and down outside of those ranges, but the further you deviate from it the more likely youre going to be restricting your ride to a type of ride you might not necessarily want from it (the airobic) but can make work. Alternatively, if the boards a bit stiff and unwieldy then youre not really going to be all that stoked cruising on it so it simply has to work :) (the riot). Hope that helps muddy the issue a bit more. :) 
m00m
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 3:27pm
^ Sounds like that Riot is just a burden to you, Ipps... I'll gladly take it off your hands. Wink
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
snowcker View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote snowcker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 1:41pm
I always wonder why no one takes fitness level and number of days per year you are likely to ride into account when choosing a board.  Weight and height are fine indicators but if you don't get out often extra length takes a toll on your legs if you are pushing the board around a lot. 

When I worked year round at a resort and rode 90+ days per year, my legs were in great shape and I was 20 lbs lighter than I am now.  At 5'6" and 155 lbs., I rode a 159.  I was mostly riding with really fast boarders and skiers all-mountain - a lot of steeps and trees and all the powder we could find.  If I got into moguls or in the trees and had to muscle the board around I could all day without my legs getting tired.  

Now I'm in an office job, have gained 20 lbs. and will only ride 20-30 days this year.   I expect that I will not regain the leg strength I had while working the resort.  I've ridden my 159 and slightly shorter boards 155-156.  I find my legs don't tire as quickly on the shorter boards.  I'll be sacrificing some of the speed but when I buy a new board this year and I will likely go with a shorter board.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by fj5

^ Sounds like that Riot is just a burden to you, Ipps... I'll gladly take it off your hands. Wink

20,000 yen and its all yours. :) 
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by snowcker

I always wonder why no one takes fitness level and number of days per year you are likely to ride into account when choosing a board.  Weight and height are fine indicators but if you don't get out often extra length takes a toll on your legs if you are pushing the board around a lot. 

When I worked year round at a resort and rode 90+ days per year, my legs were in great shape and I was 20 lbs lighter than I am now.  At 5'6" and 155 lbs., I rode a 159.  I was mostly riding with really fast boarders and skiers all-mountain - a lot of steeps and trees and all the powder we could find.  If I got into moguls or in the trees and had to muscle the board around I could all day without my legs getting tired.  

Now I'm in an office job, have gained 20 lbs. and will only ride 20-30 days this year.   I expect that I will not regain the leg strength I had while working the resort.  I've ridden my 159 and slightly shorter boards 155-156.  I find my legs don't tire as quickly on the shorter boards.  I'll be sacrificing some of the speed but when I buy a new board this year and I will likely go with a shorter board.

My mate has tree trunk legs, is a proper full on gym bunny. Hes knackered snowboarding far earlier than me. He has incredible leg strength and can out squat all of us, but on a snowboard hes done way earlier than fat little unhealthy me. I ride more than him. Endurance v burst etc. Never mind "leg strength", the question is do you have your snowboarding muscles? And hows your general fitness level? 

And then it gets more complex...

You see - common knowledge suggests the following:

1. Size down for less swing weight.
2. Size up for more float.
3. Stick around your regular size for pretty much everything.

Obviously certain things complicate matters (the nug for stability/swing weight and reverse camber for float), but its the general idea.

Now consider this; you suggest that you should size down for less fatigue, but what kind of riding are you doing? Are you riding in any powder? Hows that thigh burn working out for you ;)?
How is your stability in chop? Are you getting bounced around a bit more? Are you washing out? Hows the shorter effective edge and/or lack of contacts/too many contacts working out? 
Got dampening? No? Hows it feel being bounced about all over the resort and feeling every impact with the terrain?

Suddenly me on my longer damp board is just plowing through the chop and crud, not fighting my edge, definitely not washing, and certainly not being bounced around. Straight lines, beautiful pin like carves, and all with zero effort because its what the board was built for. So now what you have is that shorter board working against you. The longer board on the other hand is utterly effortless. You dont need to make sharper turns like you will on a shorter board, you can complete trust its edges and just let it run... whereas on a shorter board you might feel its losing a spot of stability so continually have to reign it in. Suddenly the longer board is causing you to burn much less energy than the shorter one. Youre simply having to do less to keep it under control. Its designed to just rip through that terrain all day whilst the shorter board is forcing you to make shorter arcs, more stops, more adjustments, more effort all round. And this doesnt even broach the subject of powder... where its not even micro differences that build to significant ones over time. Its huge. Smaller board area = more fatigue and possibly much longer hikes out of the snow once you have to unclip and swim back to the groomers. Thats one for really killing your energy ;)  

Id therefore argue that your general fitness simply impacts your ability to ride all of it. The fitter you are the less swing weight is going to bother you on a longer board, and the less chop, crud and shitty lines are going to knacker you out on a shorter board. Basically, good fitness is always an advantage to just being able to go longer, this isnt really up for debate, but as for the question of whether it should impact your board choice and size in general, it opens up the question of "what do you like to ride?" which then brings us all the way back to square one. Once they answer that question, and once you know their size, you can generally give them a fair idea of their size. 

And this is where you end up back where you started at the "common knowldege" part above. :) I think this is pretty much why fitness isnt really an issue in sizing. You pick the size for the job. If you want to spin around all day and since swing weight is going to fatigue you, go shorter.  If on the other hand you want to rip through choppy messy lines and hit up the black diamonds, then a board with a nice long edge, decent contacts and some solid dampening is going to make it absolutely effortless out there. If instead you just want a bit of everything, then you know... pick up a bit of everything style board with a decent pliable flex, good stability, and some decent float. You know, basically all the stuff back at square one :)  
m00m
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 10:57am
^^ I just gained a year of of experience by reading this. Although I already know the gist of the post it was quite easy to read and understand. Thank you for taking the time explaining.

I'm 5'6 135lbs and got a Custom Flying V 154 for mostly powder and grooms and will probably never touch the park with it. I think I safe, right? I usually ride 151.
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Online
  Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 9:39am
I am 5'8" around 170-175lbs, and I have a K2 Raygun 156and that fits me just fine.  I think you will be good with your board selection.  I too do not do too much park and enjoy the open riding.  I came to that size board by doing a lot of research on here and other snowboard forums.  Just go out and enjoy it, if you feel uncomfortable on it adjust as necessary.
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 2:40am
Id say 155 would be alright as long as youre on groomers..
If you mostly ride deepish snow go for a little longer one
First time I got a board it was a little short for me but it felt fine, unless I rode snow a little deep and the nose kept sinking/catching in snow resulting in me doing semi-cartwheel faceplants
 Post Reply Post Reply