Crowbars/Splices vs EG2's

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kushman182 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crowbars/Splices vs EG2's
    Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 8:55pm
So I'm thinking of getting some new goggles and I've narrowed it down to Oakley Crowbars, Splices, and Electric EG2's. I've never owned either brand of goggles but I am aware of the quality of Oakley and I've heard great things about the EG2's. I was hoping I could get a little more insight from people that have used these before, or suggestions to a better pair of goggles. Thanks
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 9:10pm
lve owned crowbar and eg2.5. l really liked the design of crowbar but doesnt fit my nose, l have asian nose but oddly the eg25 worked for me. both high quality, no expeirence with airbrakes 
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 9:11pm
do the crowbars and eg2's have similar fields of view?

fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 9:24pm
I own Oakley Crowbars and EG2's.  I love them both.  

If you wish to wear them with straps under your helmet, then I would say the Crowbars would be the better choice vs. the EG2.  The sides curve down more allowing for the curved brim of the helmet to fit nicely over the frame.  The EG2's are wider and boxier so may not fit well with all helmets.  

If you wish to wear the goggle over your helmet, the Crowbar's "wing" design allows for better clearance than the EG2, thus doing a better job to avoid lifting of the lens from your face/nose.

Both manufacture quality lenses so don't worry about that.  If you ride both day and night, then I suggest getting separate day and night lenses or if you already have a day or night goggle, then dedicate this new purchase for the other.

In terms of design, the Crowbar, Airbrake, and Splice are very similar, main differences being in the placement of the major vents.  They all look sick to me so it really will come to your personal taste in design and colour options.

I dunno how big your face is but I would suggest trying them on in a local shop first.  They're definitely bigger than your "average" affordable goggle.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by fj5

I own Oakley Crowbars and EG2's.  I love them both.  

If you wish to wear them with straps under your helmet, then I would say the Crowbars would be the better choice vs. the EG2.  The sides curve down more allowing for the curved brim of the helmet to fit nicely over the frame.  The EG2's are wider and boxier so may not fit well with all helmets.  

If you wish to wear the goggle over your helmet, the Crowbar's "wing" design allows for better clearance than the EG2, thus doing a better job to avoid lifting of the lens from your face/nose.

Both manufacture quality lenses so don't worry about that.  If you ride both day and night, then I suggest getting separate day and night lenses or if you already have a day or night goggle, then dedicate this new purchase for the other.

In terms of design, the Crowbar, Airbrake, and Splice are very similar, main differences being in the placement of the major vents.  They all look sick to me so it really will come to your personal taste in design and colour options.

I dunno how big your face is but I would suggest trying them on in a local shop first.  They're definitely bigger than your "average" affordable goggle.
Thanks for all the info! I usually wear my goggles over my helmet so maybe the crowbars would be the better choice. And it would be fantastic if I had a local shop to try anything on before I buy, but unfortunately due to my location, my "local" shop would be scheels LOL and even that is over an hour away
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 9:54pm
EDIT:I originally put airbrakes as one of the goggles I was looking at, I meant splices. Not sure how I got the two confused, that might be a sign for me to get some sleep Confused
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 10:05pm
i own two pairs of crowbars. lenses like their high intensity persimmon are awesome. I wear it in all types of condition without ever worrying about visibility.

Ive tried the eg2s, but theyre just too big for my small face. the peripherals are nice, but overall its just too big for me. 

The crowbars can be bought cheap and you can mix and match parts. if you want the extra peripheral sight and they fit you then go eg2
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 7:13am
is there that big of a difference between the eg2 and the crowbars or splices with their field of vision? or is it negligibale?
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 7:16am
once you put it on, l feel the difference isn't a lot, l do feel the splice is a bit smaller though 
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/JennyLi
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 7:18am
Originally posted by rye

once you put it on, l feel the difference isn't a lot, l do feel the splice is a bit smaller though 
are the splices the smallest of the 3? on one of the reviews on here i thought i read that the splices are somewhat larger than the crowbars
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 7:31am
there is no real "VS" situation here. it's whatever goggles fit your face the best. they're both quality brands. def smaller view on crowbars though.
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 8:08am
Originally posted by kushman182

is there that big of a difference between the eg2 and the crowbars or splices with their field of vision? or is it negligibale?

its a personal opinion, but i found it neglible
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 8:20am
EG2 is significantly bigger than the crowbar and splice.  all the oakleys listed are about the same size (medium by today's standards) and the EG2 is certainly in the "large" category.  their fields of vision reflect that as well.  now, the difference in overall field of view might not matter to you, but yes there is definitely a size difference.
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 8:27am
to be honest, crowbar and the splice pretty much the same size which is medium to large at best. on the other hand, eg2 is still, the biggest goggles on the market even von zipper introduced the fishbowl. i have all of the mentioned goggles and plenty different one out there.

it turn out the crowbar/splice is the most uncomfortable goggles i have ever used for the following reasons: they both pinch my nose bridge, make it really uncomfortable to ride with. the frame, contra most believe, it rigid than the eg2 and fishbowl by miles, which create pressure point on both side of the goggles/straps connection point. which was the first time ever i have had that feeling with any goggles (yes, i have the goggles strap down tight against my face because i don't take them on and off all day like a fool). they don't curve with my face shape, they just press on it.

once you try the eg2, you won't like anything else not because of the front vision field, but how much wider you can see without turning your head. the eg2 still pinch my noise bridge but not by much. that's the reasons why i moved on to von zipper fishbowl, it's only smaller by a tad, but it offer the same, if not better field of vision. with the eg2, i can still see the top of the frame with it on, but with the fishbowl, you really don't notice the frame at all unless you roll your eyes to the corner. eg2 is good, but i love my von zipper fishbowl better, and it's cheaper i believe.
hmmm... Now What???   
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 8:42am
Thanks for all the info everyone. I do have another question, has anyone had problems with the eg2s fitting well.with their helmet? i noticed on the reviews that came up a couple times, i have a RED trace helmet 
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 8:47am
i don't have any problems with the eg2 nor the von zipper fishbowl with my pro-tec helms b2 at all. but i don't have any experience with red helms, so you might have to check it out in person. oh, i do wear my goggles under the helm at all time with zero problem.
hmmm... Now What???   
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 10:50am
It's true what bataleon155 said, the frames of the Oakleys are stiffer than the EG2's.  Perhaps it's not the best if you have a relatively flat face.  As for field of vision, the EG2 definitely has larger, BUT I've never felt that my Crowbars were insufficient.  I've worn the EG2 with my Red Mutiny helmet and with the strap over the helmet, the frame sits nicely under the brim, but my nose is relatively small so I do feel like the EG2's foam isn't quite as secure on my nose as the Crowbars.
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 11:46am
hmm i definitely want the bigger field of vision, it kinda sounds like i cant go wrong with either choice, i might pick up a pair of eg2s and see how i like em. Thanks for all the input everyone
Funinc158 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Funinc158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 11:54am
Take a look at Oakley Canopy if you want a large FOV and Oakley quality. I have two pairs and love them to death
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 12:52pm
Although the EG2 is noticeably bigger than the splice and crowbar, i think the difference in field of vision is negligible. the eg2 might allow for slightly more peripheral vision, but i don't think it is enough to choose that over the others. The oakley's certainly have enough field of vision as well. and as for splice vs crowbar, i personally think that the splice is just a better fit.
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Funinc158

Take a look at Oakley Canopy if you want a large FOV and Oakley quality. I have two pairs and love them to death
have you ever had/used eg2s to compare the two?
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 12:10am
Perhaps it would help you to see pics of both goggles on the same face with various helmets:

EG2 with straps over Red Mutiny helmet

EG2 with straps under Sandbox Brainbucket

Crowbar with straps under Sandbox Brainbucket

I too feel that the Crowbars FEEL better.  The EG2 was meant to be big and it is.
Funinc158 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Funinc158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 7:16am
Originally posted by kushman182

Originally posted by Funinc158

have you ever had/used eg2s to compare the two?

Yeah. I had EG2s in the past. The fit is about the same on both goggles, they are both am oversized frame, FOV is comparable. I just feel better in the Canopy because I've always had good luck with Oakley. The EG2s tended to fog up in me when on the lift.

Biggest thing of all is how they fit your face. Canopy seems to fit my face better than EG2s.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 8:11am
I tried on almost every brand and model at the start of this season and, imo, giant field of view is an overrated gimmick.  It's more fashion than function. 

You really only need to see what's directly in front of you.  Other than the nose piece, having any of the frame in sight goes out the window when you're concentrating on your line. Maybe having a little extra wide vision is better (just to see people who are about to run into you), but extra up and down vision is kinda useless. 

ended up settling on the Dragon Rogue (Gigi's goggle) because it fit my face the best - no gaps, no fog and excellent optics (as good as smith, zeal, etc).  They do have a little extra wide vision, but no exaggerated amounts of upper and lower vision...perfect balance
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 8:13am
Originally posted by fj5

Perhaps it would help you to see pics of both goggles on the same face with various helmets:

EG2 with straps over Red Mutiny helmet

EG2 with straps under Sandbox Brainbucket

Crowbar with straps under Sandbox Brainbucket

I too feel that the Crowbars FEEL better.  The EG2 was meant to be big and it is.
Thanks this is really helpful actually!
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Piranha

I tried on almost every brand and model at the start of this season and, imo, giant field of view is an overrated gimmick.  It's more fashion than function. 

You really only need to see what's directly in front of you.  Other than the nose piece, having any of the frame in sight goes out the window when you're concentrating on your line. Maybe having a little extra wide vision is better (just to see people who are about to run into you), but extra up and down vision is kinda useless. 

ended up settling on the Dragon Rogue (Gigi's goggle) because it fit my face the best - no gaps, no fog and excellent optics (as good as smith, zeal, etc).  They do have a little extra wide vision, but no exaggerated amounts of upper and lower vision...perfect balance
Thanks, I'll check those out too, I would much rather be able to try a bunch of goggles on but I just don't have anywhere around here that has any real selection to even choose from. I guess if worst comes to worst I'll sell the ones I order and buy some on my next trip to colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply