Tahoe Discount Ticket and Mtn Recommendation-

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
npham28 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote npham28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tahoe Discount Ticket and Mtn Recommendation-
    Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 7:37am
Hi, Does anyone know where I can get discount tickets for any resort in Tahoe? Also any recommendation on which resort is the best for snowboarding?

Thanks !    
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 7:44am
What type of riding do you like best?  Different resorts offer different terrain and of course the conditions affect which resort might be better to ride on a particular day.  For example, N* is wind protected so on stormy day it may offer the best riding conditions.

Anyhow, Squaw, N*, Sugar Bowl, Alpine, Kirkwood are all worth looking into.  I wouldn't recommend Heavenly unless you know how to get around which by the likes of it you dont. Keep in mind Kirkwood is kinda in no man's land so...
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 8:15am
I have some lift passes to Sierra-at-Tahoe from the ski and ride show that I can sell to you. But, they have my name on it, so I'd have to go with you...

Shell Ski Free has BOGO deals to some of the resorts around Tahoe: Alpine Meadows, Sierra-at-Tahoe, Squaw, and some smaller places.

What is "best" really depends on what you like. If you like to go off-trail, I'd recommend Kirkwood. If you like a nice view, I'd go to heavenly, but the Cali side has a lot of flat areas that you need to avoid. If you like steeps, Squaw. If you like parks, Northstar. If you like smaller resorts, Homewood and Sugar Bowl. My personaly favorite is Northstar, for the long groomed runs in blues and blacks.
sourgummies View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sourgummies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 8:35am
Craigslist has some good deals. Much better than what Sports Basement or REI is selling for (Sports Basement doesn't mark up the price of their tickets). 
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 12:18pm
we usually get our tickets from www.liftopia.com Don't know about best deals but these are almost 2nd to best.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 5:14pm
Hit up www.slidingonthecheap.com they have a "deals" page
Also, hit up Costco, they have Sierra Tickets. A d sometimes liftopoa.com. Has decent prices. As for N* ticket deals are next to none, they don't exist unless you get a stay and ski package (vail likes to keep it that way).
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 5:52am
I usually ride in the Midwest so it doesn't take much to impress me, but we went to Mt. Rose earlier this year and it was a lot of fun. We got a 3 day lift ticket for 125 and liftopia. With that being said they did have to close the mountain on Sunday for high winds.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 7:40am
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

I usually ride in the Midwest so it doesn't take much to impress me, but we went to Mt. Rose earlier this year and it was a lot of fun. We got a 3 day lift ticket for 125 and liftopia. With that being said they did have to close the mountain on Sunday for high winds.

I wouldn't recommend Mt Rose unless it is a bluebird pow day.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 7:42am
If nightlife is a factor, I would consider Heavenly. Most other places are pretty dead at night. But, no deals for Heavenly either, another Vail property. Or, you could stay near Heavenly, and take the free shuttles to Sierra-at-Tahoe, since they have a lot of different deals.
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 12:15pm
The number of discount deals has plummeted since the resorts starting being merged. People on craigslist are selling the 2 for 1 Heavenly coupons from the Warren Miller film, but beware since they may have already been used, so get a lot of background info about the seller.
npham28 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote npham28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 12:54pm
Thanks for the help guys. I'll look into your recommendations :)
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 2:20pm
^I think Northstar is the best Tahoe resort for snowboarding :)
You could probably get the best discount tickets from Craigslist.
NGremlin! View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote NGremlin! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 3:16pm
Kirkwood has really great terrain, but is hard to get to. (Small winding mountain highways)

Sierra-at-Tahoe is a nice small resort that is on the cheaper end of the spectrum and much easier to get to. Likewise with Homewood.

Heavenly, Northstar, Squaw, Alpine Meadows, and Homewood have lots of nearby lodging.

Lots of snow right now! Enjoy!
jibhugger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jibhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 4:38pm
I agree that NorthStar is one of the best resorts around. Also, the past few years you have been able to get buy one get one free vouchers from shell gas stations for N* and sierra. Its a virually free discount
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 4:59pm
the best resorts for snowboarding are resorts that don't have any flat walkouts to get to the lifts (or any flats, really).  Since all the resorts were designed for skiers, some just luckily turned out better for boarders than others. 

Mt. Rose got lucky in this way, but it is relatively small and somewhat isolated (unless you're staying in Reno, in which case, it's the closest resort).  Really fun mtn, fresh pow or not.  The peak is subject to frequent heavy, cold winds, so dress accordingly and don't wear a hydration pack (it will freeze).

Heavenly does have several flat spots throughout, but it's an absolutely massive mtn that will be more than plenty adventurous to most (despite what they say).  Highly recommended as a first tahoe ride...in fact, planning on going there next week (for like the 10th time).

I rode Sierra at Tahoe in the early 90s, but don't remember any glaring flat spots.  I do remember having a great time there, despite it's relatively small size.  It's a great little mtn.

they call Squaw the Disneyland of resorts.  With it's towering cliffs, it's very scenic, but for most snowboarders, the mtn is a ridiculously steep fantasy they'll never be able to ride.  Not the best idea for the first time Tahoe trip.
whitetiger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote whitetiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 9:14am
Sugar Bowl is one of the best for snowboarders. Great long intermediate runs and lots of terrain park stuff too. They do have a membership program that gives you a discount if you buy multiple days. It might be worthwhile if you aren't going to do enough days to buy a pass.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 10:32am
Originally posted by npham28

Thanks for the help guys. I'll look into your recommendations :)

let us know what you find and what you decide on. when are you planning on going?
npham28 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote npham28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 12:55pm
Decided to go snowboarding at Northstar and Squaw. :) One more week, so excited to be going
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 1:14pm
nice..where are you staying at?
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 4:41pm

Decided to go snowboarding at Northstar and Squaw. :) One more week, so excited to be going

i heard Costco has N* tickets at good prices but someone else said in the thread they do not sell them...worth looking into though at least.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 6:56pm
Costco has Sierra At Tahoe 2 pak for $104. They might have other deals too, but not sure.
Slidingonthecheap.com, check that often because they always update with new offers/discounted tix.
Snowbomb.com is okay, but if you get their Tahoe card is great.
Local shops like Sports Basement, AnyMountain, etc. will have slightly discounted tix.
Also local shops in Tahoe will have discounted tix too, like google etc.
Liftopia.com has better deals than the local shops, but you have to buy it by midnight the day before.
Some resorts like Homewood will have set days that are discounted prices. Check the website of the resorts you're interested and see if they offer it on those days you'll be up.

sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 9:03am
i check liftopia pretty regularly. they dont always have the BEST deals (which are usually found on craigslist), but certainly better than if you were to buy at the resort

if you hit up tahoe, Heavenly is the largest and highest mountain. I've also ridden northstar, kirkwood, and sierra, and would rank them in that order
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 9:03am

Nice! Northstar is my one of my fav. mtns. Oh, and get the waffle! Btw, Squaw is free for military!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 12:32pm
If you can find people with a season pass to Vail properties (Northstar, Heavenly, and Kirkwood in the Tahoe area), they have discount tickets pre-loaded on their passes that they can get for their friends. I've used 1 of them, I should have 5 left.
boardoholic View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2013 at 7:36pm

Nice! Sounds like y'all are staying somewhere on the North Shore of the lake.

For your time @ Squaw, the aforementioned Shell gas 2-for-1 voucher (http://www.skifreedeals.com/ski-resorts-california.html) can also be used for beginner packages in case your group includes those who'll just be starting out. Even if they've gone once or twice before, but it's been a while since that last trip or they didn't pick it up very well, these beginner packages could save y'all loads of money & stress. They'll get a 2-hour group lesson to ease their anxiety or frustration (as well as yours & other veterans who won't have to "babysit" them as they get their "snow legs") along with a beginner lift ticket & rental equipment.

HUGE savings! Super convenient, too. Just gotta do Squaw Tuesday thru Thursday.

And even though Homewood is a MUCH smaller resort on the northwest side of the lake, there the Shell offer is valid ALL WEEK barring Saturday. And it has a killer view of the lake! When coming down the Face run, you'll feel like you'll be plunging into the water by the time you reach the bottom.Cool

Also mentioned by others, there aren't too many discounts for Vail Resorts' Tahoe properties like Northstar. I personally don't ride there as often as I have in the past. While N* has built up their amenities & their village area quite nicely, their terrain (esp. in total acreage) doesn't justify their exorbitant ticket price. Also, the place can get insanely crowded, so try to avoid going there on the weekend. The day I went last year, it was worth it to fork out the extra 20 bucks for the FAST pass ("priority lane access" akin to the HOV lane during rush hour). Such a shame that the FAST pass rate is now a whopping $50!

One of the great things about N* is they have awesome parks! But I'm all about getting the most bang for my buck, so places that are less expensive and/or that have better overall terrain earn my business.

So unless y'all have already purchased tix to N*, give Alpine Meadows a shot. It's Squaw's sister resort, and it's also a Shell 2-for-1 Tues, Wed, Thur resort.
PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing. ~Mitch Hedberg
npham28 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote npham28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 12:55pm
Hyatt in Tahoe
npham28 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote npham28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 12:56pm
They have waffles at the resort? if so nice :)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 1:02pm
wow..the hyatt at northstar? high rollers....can i get the couch? haha

yes, they have these "euro" stands throughout the village..selling waffles, crepe, and hotdogs and stuff..
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:31am
oh..wait...is the hyatt at northstar or incline village?
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 6:24am

So how did your trip go? What did you think of each resort?
PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing. ~Mitch Hedberg
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 6:27am
[QUOTE=lightning80]yes, they have these "euro" stands throughout the village..selling waffles, crepe, and hotdogs and stuff.[/QUOTE]

I've ridden thrice so far this season, and each spot (Squaw, Homewood & Sierra) had these Euro stands. Holy ballz! It smells deliciously tempting as the aroma of freshly-made waffles wafts thru the air. The hut is so strategically placed in the base area as to wrangle in the highest potential number of victims... err... I mean... customers (LOL) with their bait.

Not sure how I was able to resist, esp. that 1st encounter @Squaw.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 7:42am
^ I've never bought anything from these Euro stands until yesterday. My son wanted some kind of hot dog for lunch and the first thing we saw was one of the Euro stands. $8 for a weiner inside french bread Dead
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 7:49am
^ Must have been hard for you to swallow considering you're used to getting a weiner inside french buns for free at the bath house...  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply