Riding through trees tip

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riding through trees tip
    Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 5:28pm
I got into riding in between the trees last season and I love the pow stashes I find! Any tips on how to speed check and go through with clean lines? I like to ride on lines already there, but I prefer to make my own lines. How to better control my board and make turns quicker without nose diving into pow? Or not getting stuck on pow while riding through?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 5:34pm
it sounds like you have been snowboarding for a little while, so at this point it really is all about practice IMO.  there aren't really many tips that will go beyond what you'll figure out by doing it yourself, if you haven't already done so.  one thing is speed management, though. not referring tp skidding to go slower, but managing your turns in different ways (tighter if need be) so you don't go too fast, but are still making real turns and getting through the trees efficiently.

better control and figuring out how to manage lines through trees is something you learn on your own, assuming you have the basics of snowboarding figured out.

the obvious is to look a little more ahead than you might normally, depending on your speed and the tree style (big woodsy trees like the northwest VS tight low angle skinny trees VS whatever), but other than that, it really just comes from doing it more and more.  you will get the hang of how/when to turn, how to manage your speed properly, etc.

as for keeping your nose up, just try not to go too slow, and keep your weight a little back, wherever you find the balance point. the right board can make a huge difference too, though... like a burton fish for example.  fishing on a pow day through the woods is one of the best things in snowboarding.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 5:51pm
for a cleaner line, maybe do a lot of smaller turns than big skidding turns (doesn't apply to pre-made tracks). A board with built in "set-back" helps keep your nose up, helps not getting stuck and allows you to relax more.
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 6:34pm
Make sure you're planning a turn or two ahead so you don't get too surprised by any trees in your path and get stuck in the brush. Picking a line as far ahead as you can definitely aids in speed management and finding the best pow in there.

Good luck.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 8:44pm
I rode through trees last year and absolutely loved it. Even though I sucked pretty bad and got lost a couple of times in the trees it was super fun ( I ended up following people's tracks to get down.) I love exploring! Anyone ride in the CO area? I rode Keystone's bowl last year but wondered if any surrounding resorts got big tree area to explore.

I learned to look few turns ahead and make sharp turns. Cause if I didn't I would;
1. Get stuck
2. Nose dive in powder
3. Run into a tree or rock
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 11:30pm
A little tip for tree runs is, when you get scared avoid trying to grab a tree at all costs. Two of my friends tree riding, one grabs a tree BOOM broken wrist, the other is right behind him grabs the same tree BOOM broken wrist. Make sure you avoid it.
djmaya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote djmaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 7:09am
Get a Fish! It is simply amazing for tree. It will help with super tight turns and you float even at 1/2 a mile per hour.
2012 Vapor 162W - 2010 CO2 EST - 2010 Hail
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 7:25am
Originally posted by djmaya

Get a Fish! It is simply amazing for tree. It will help with super tight turns and you float even at 1/2 a mile per hour.

If you ride enough and can invest in a pow board, this makes a huge difference as others here stated. But if you don't ride enough to get another board, try putting your settings back. This can help with keeping your weight back. And like others said, scan farther down the slopes that you normally would. You should always try to see your next 2-3 turns. Also be cautious if you see a big pow stash along a groomed run that you want to hit. It just might be untracked because its a flat and other people left it alone knowing they would get stuck if they went in. Definitely helps going with someone that knows the resort well to avoid flat parts. Or than that, its all the same as everything else, just keep trying. Hitting pow through trees is definitely an amazing part of boarding.  
Its not fun unless its sketchy
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 7:32am
try not to be passive...and take a more active rather than reactive approach.  When I get in the mindset of that I am in control of dictating my turns as opposed to the trees dictating my turns the flow increases and the run is always more satisfying.  Please do not interpret this as being a crazy fool :)

You can practice falling leaf style turns on groomers and try and get them as tight as possible in quick succession.  In Tahoe we have super tight tree runs where the ability to turn quickly back and forth while checking speed in steeps is very helpful in my opinion.

Getting a pow specific board is priority number one in my view.  Riding a fuller rockered board or a pow specific 20mm taper or more board can really help and increases stoke.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 8:55am
Originally posted by humblerooster

A little tip for tree runs is, when you get scared avoid trying to grab a tree at all costs. Two of my friends tree riding, one grabs a tree BOOM broken wrist, the other is right behind him grabs the same tree BOOM broken wrist. Make sure you avoid it.

I would take a broken wrist over falling into a tree well.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 9:55am
Awesome advice! Thanks guys!! I was also wondering when doing my turns what my weight ratio should be, front and back? I find my weight more on the back and follow through with my front. I would say, 75% on my back and 25% on my front, to keep the nose up. (I always think the nose would get way too much powder build up on top of it and I get stuck) . Should I just put my stance more to the back? This is when I'm very grateful for the EST feature on my board.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 10:00am
It's been aluded to above, but the best advice is to look between the trees, not at them.  I learned that 100 years ago mountain biking and it's still great advice.  Generally speaking you will ride where you are looking.  And go real fast

-b
get bent
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 6:20pm
wax make sure you've got a good wax job it will do wonders towards keeping you from getting stuck and getting back up to speed when you have to slow way down.
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 9:21am
how tight of tree runs are you guys talking about?  I went in Winter park a couple years ago, and my buddies went through a very thick wooded area.  Did not care for that too much, as I kept falling and getting stuck.  They are a lot better than me, but we come from IA so not the best at anything, no place to proactice.

This is my buddy with my camera, going through this run.  The first 30 seconds is stuff I have zero issues with, but after that was a nightmare for me.  Is this the kind of runs you guys are talking about?
Raw video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwb7A_4DAkc
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Commissar

how tight of tree runs are you guys talking about?  I went in Winter park a couple years ago, and my buddies went through a very thick wooded area.  Did not care for that too much, as I kept falling and getting stuck.  They are a lot better than me, but we come from IA so not the best at anything, no place to proactice.

This is my buddy with my camera, going through this run.  The first 30 seconds is stuff I have zero issues with, but after that was a nightmare for me.  Is this the kind of runs you guys are talking about?
Raw video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwb7A_4DAkc

To make viewing a little easier:

^ This is more like the tree runs I see here in the east... it's never quite as glorious as the west coast videos I see online.  Quite frankly, runs like these terrify me and I avoid them.  I got stuck going through some trees in Whistler a couple years ago and I had to claw my way out.  Was exhausting!  But runs like this would probably kill me.  I remember going into a tree run my first time at Jay Peak, I clearly wasn't ready or good enough.  I didn't turn fast enough and ended up ramming my hip into the tree, falling, then all the snow from the tree came down on me... it was like a cartoon. Ouch
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
rosati777 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Calvin and Hobbes Extreme Sports

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 10:36am
^^^

Holy SHit! How do you not get lost in there? Looks like you could end up coming out anywhere at then end of the mountain if you don't know where you're going?
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 11:15am
That video has thick forested area--crazy! I was riding through wider space but similar to the video and it took us 45minutes to get from top to button. Not to mention the deep pow. I would recommend having a buddy ride with you. Anything can happen and there's probably no cell signal.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 11:16am
Originally posted by rosati777

^^^

Holy SHit! How do you not get lost in there? Looks like you could end up coming out anywhere at then end of the mountain if you don't know where you're going?

There's only one way to go which is down.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 11:35am
Yeah that run led to a lift, or if you missed the lift there was a traverse that lead back to the other side of the mountain.  Couldn't get "lost" in there, but easily get separated from the rest of the group.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 4:20pm
Awesome advice! Thanks guys!! I was also wondering when doing my turns what my weight ratio should be, front and back? I find my weight more on the back and follow through with my front. I would say, 75% on my back and 25% on my front, to keep the nose up. (I always think the nose would get way too much powder build up on top of it and I get stuck) . Should I just put my stance more to the back? This is when I'm very grateful for the EST feature on my board.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 4:25pm
Yup! I try not to get too deep into thick wooded areas though. I'm just beginning to get into it. So I practice near the trail so when i keep getting too stuck and too exhausted i bail out back to the groomers.
 Post Reply Post Reply