Glove recommendations

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glove recommendations
    Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 8:15am
What do you all recommend for an all mountain glove?  I do very little park activity, and just want my hands to stay warm and dry for my week long trip to JH.  Throw out suggestions and why you believe they are the best.  Not looking to spend a fortune, but willing to spend a little more for a great glove.
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 8:27am
My favorite glove in my set up are my NorthFace Montana Mitts. Incredibly warm, stitching is immaculate, "soft" nose wipe on each thumb, and has a rubber squeegee blade on the right thumb.

I've never had cold or wet fingers with these beasts. Also a big fan of how long the cuffs are, and have three points of "cinching" for the wrists. Zipper pockets on the tops of each hand (although I rarely use them other than as a cash stash). This will be my third season on them, and not one spot of wear.

The only downfall I can find with them is they can be TOO warm. On spring days (or anytime above freezing) my hands sweat in them. And not a little bit, but insane amounts LOL.

So, in my mind, for normal to bitter cold winter riding conditions, they are the best glove I have ever used. 70 bucks is a bit high, but are totally worth it IMO. Can see these lasting me many more seasons.

Have fun in Jackson man!

EDIT: Wow..I feel really stupid right now. Since I had the gloves out already, I was playing around with them a little more and realized the "Zipper Stash Pockets" are not that at all. They are the HyVent tech...not a pocket (although they ARE big enough to stash a few bills in there). I can't believe I have had them for almost three years now and didn't realize the zippers are vents to cool off your hands on warm days. This changes everything. Going to have to try this out next time it is warm here...LOLEmbarrassed
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 9:03am
I had Burton Gore-Tex. It worked great. Kept my hands warm and dry. Have vents that can zip open or close too. Comes with a pair of liners too but I never had to use them together even in below freezing temps. But it's bulky and not as durable as it can be. Lasted bout 50 days before it started to rip.
I'm using Colombia gloves...is Omni Tech or something. Is well made. I like it better than the Burton's. It's just as warm. Is almost good in warmer days but not cool enough. Needs vents. Lower profile and softer than my Burton's. I got bout 20 days on it and still seems new. I like the pull laces on this better. The Burton's got longer after many uses and I had to trim it shorter. The Colombia also dried faster if it got wet inside and warms faster too.
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 9:15am
I am going to have to go along all the way with batmanwest. i too have noethface montana gloves, but they are they fingered version. they keep every bit of snow and debris out while keeping warmth in. the zip is a vent but is really resourceful for small things and actually i even got a hot hands into each of them. also you could just put a hot toes in them since those are flater packets. mu ahnds always stay super cold compared to the rest of my body for some reason so they really help out. i also got mine for $50.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 10:36am
I've had my Burton Gore-tex for a year now. Love em, I've never used the liner and glove at the same time as it is bulky. The glove kept me dry and warm on normal days but on those really cold day.s I dont know if any glove can help on those cold days so I just got me Burton Gore-tex mitten last month. Haven't tried em yet but will soon. my fingers are thin and long so not all size small glove will fit so you may need to try them on if you want the ultimate fit and warmth.
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 11:57am
Originally posted by 2zz

I had Burton Gore-Tex. It worked great. Kept my hands warm and dry. Have vents that can zip open or close too. Comes with a pair of liners too but I never had to use them together even in below freezing temps. But it's bulky and not as durable as it can be. Lasted bout 50 days before it started to rip.
I'm using Colombia gloves...is Omni Tech or something. Is well made. I like it better than the Burton's. It's just as warm. Is almost good in warmer days but not cool enough. Needs vents. Lower profile and softer than my Burton's. I got bout 20 days on it and still seems new. I like the pull laces on this better. The Burton's got longer after many uses and I had to trim it shorter. The Colombia also dried faster if it got wet inside and warms faster too.

My current glove is the Columbia Omni.  Just not sure if I can snowboard for 6 consecutive days using the same glove.  Was looking for an additional glove to take with.  I have no issues with the Omni, however only used them a few times on the mountain.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 12:38pm
dakine bronco gloves are awesome.. definitely recommend those.  each day when you are done riding be sure to set your stuff by the heater in your place so they will dry out for the next day.
MOAR powderz plz!
alohasurf View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote alohasurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 12:42pm
I had the Burton gloves. My hands were soaked by the end of the day. I was very disappointed with those. It's interesting to see so many like them.

Currently I have a pair of REI switchbacks, happier with those. I like the clinch straps, but not zipper pocket.
Lucky5 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Lucky5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 12:59pm
mittens > all
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 2:27pm
Burton Gore-Tex are the best. They're waterproof and keep your hands warm and dry. They also come with an extra liner for cold days.
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 5:00pm
Prior to making this post I was seeing mostly great reviews for Swany, Hestra (heli), and Level on other forums.  Was looking into the Hestra, but for $125, I decided to continue to look elsewhere.  Keep the suggestions coming.
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by MTpow

dakine bronco gloves are awesome.. definitely recommend those.  each day when you are done riding be sure to set your stuff by the heater in your place so they will dry out for the next day.

How does the sizing of these gloves run?  Found some for not so bad of a price, but have no ski shops around me (sucks living in Iowa).  I wear size Large for the Columbia gloves, would that be a safe assumption to get Large if I went for these gloves?
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 6:13pm
dakine raiders are pretty nice esp for the price, nice long gauntlet, with leather and gore-tex is pretty hard to beat.

Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by vicente

dakine raiders are pretty nice esp for the price, nice long gauntlet, with leather and gore-tex is pretty hard to beat.

not able to find any info on the raiders, looking at the Titans though, like the longer gountlet style gloves.
rosati777 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Calvin and Hobbes Extreme Sports

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 6:53pm
The thing with the burton gloves is that you can pull your hands out of the glove when you need to but keep the liners on. This is good for tightening or loosening your binding straps then you can just slide the regular gloves back on.

The other guy was saying they get wet but that's obvious. The liners are not water proofed you have to wear the shell for the water proofing.

YOu can wear the gloves without the liners as well if your hands are sweating. They're good because they give you options and its easy to slide the shell off but keep the liner on to adjust your bindings.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 12:25am
Nowadays I use pipe gloves by Drop, model name is Ver-tex GT (Gore-Tex).  They keep my hands warm enough and I'm a big fan of maintaining dexterity.  Cost me $50 with end of season sale.  Kinda overpriced but I'm really happy with them.

On extremely cold days, however, the warmest glove I have is a relatively inexpensive FireFly mitt.  Cost me $20 and ended up being warmer than my Burton Dry Ride and BonFire Gore-Tex gloves.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 3:45am
this http://trusnow.com/Burton-GoreTex-Snowboard-Gloves.asp is what I've been wearing for the past few seasons.  I love 'em.  Warm, dry, and come with liners that are bad ass.
Prior to those I wore some Sirrus gloves with them built in wrist guards.  Liked those a lot too. 
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 5:41am
Thanks for all the replies guys.  I ended up going with the Dakine Titan gloves.  The Bronco glove recommendation lead me to this.  I wanted the gauntlet style and I found backcountry had 20% off and free shipping so I jumped on it.  Supposed to be very warm, has a liner, and has gore-tex.  thanks to all for leading me to this, just hope it is as good as the reviews I have seen on it.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 5:45am
You're welcome! Excellent choice!  One of the reasons I like the broncos so much is bc of their low profile and yet they still keep my hands warm.  I also really like the 'underglove' style'.. no bulk around the wrist.  Enjoy the titans!
MOAR powderz plz!
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2012 at 8:25pm
i bought these my last trip to the mountain. (my dumbass forgot gloves.) http://www.kombisnow.com/gloves-and-mitts/lifted/mens/gore-method I like them i think they fit my large hands very well. There goretex so theyre very warm and stay dry after 5 hours of riding. My only complaint is that the sleeve that goes up your wrist likes to pack some snow in it sometimes. But then again i was on my ass most of the day too. I think that the fingers are very moveable and they aren't super stiff, probably the only glove ive worn that i could actually pull my phone out of my pocket and hit the lock button in without taking it off. They allow you to be very dextrous. before that i just had some plain old columbias that i got from kohls. these seem to be much better quality. I bought them at my resort for 60 bucks... but i found them on amazon for 46bucks with sizes all the way up to large. http://www.amazon.com/Kombi-Gore-Method-Glove-Black/dp/B007BNXCSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356848584&sr=8-1&keywords=kombi+gore+method This other site i found also has the XLs and Larges in stock im not sure what size your hand is so id figure that id give you the option to see all the sizes. http://www.alpineaccessories.com/PRODUCT-TITLE/productinfo/K7734/MENS-XL/ 
Definately recommend getting a second pair i ussually run with two, but since my move from jersey, to rhode island, then from rhode island to college, some of the little things like that got mixed up and/or got lost. hope this helps.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 2:35am
I think burton gloves are pretty decent, unless I kept my hands buried in snow for ages on a warm day my hands would stay dry the whole day. Im talking about just normal burton gloves here, no gore-tex tech..
Still kept my hands real warm :D I literally paid $27 USD for the pair from the previous season last year from ridemteverest and they were more than the money's worth!

As for gloves I think models from a few seasons would be better cause theyll be cheaper and really, no one cares much about how brand new or current season your gloves are..
Currently Ive got 686 gloves and they are nicely padded and warm as well :)
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 11:42am
*how do I delete a double post?*
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 11:43am
*how do you delete a post?*
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 11:43am
I really recommend gloves that are made out of goretex and have a liner for that added warmth. My hands are naturally cold and I have the burton goretex Under. They keep my icy fingers toasty and dry. I've tried other gloves and these def. hold up in dryness and warmth. Only pair ill buy now.
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 12:11pm
Head mitten/gloves from Costco. Currently available for $15.
forum2577 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote forum2577 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 12:34pm
dont recall the name but I have simple burton gloves that are gore tex. they arent huge or bulky.. all black with a removable liner so you can adjust for the weather. theyre perfect.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by MTpow

I have dakine broncos but they're really not thick enough for really cold or powder conditions.  They also get soaked quickly ever day I've used them, but they don't get that cold because the goretex fabric pulls moisture away from the skin, keeping it dry (there is no removable liner).  Bronco is a good park glove for warmer conditions, but I would think Jackson could get too cold...and the possibility of powder is there.

in cold and powder conditions, I use Dakine element gloves.  They're beefier and have a thick removable liner/pipe glove (which can be used solo on the warmest spring days).  They use dakine's proprietary "DK-Dry" moisture wicking fabric (not Goretex) and it works fine.  The element don't get soaked nearly as easily as the bronco, plus, the cinchable wrist gauntlet keeps snow out.  The Element might be a little overkill for what you're looking for, but, personally, I'd rather have too much than not enough
GOBANANAS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GOBANANAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 1:00pm
I'm having the same problems as Piranha with my dakine gloves. i have the dakine ravens which were supposedly designed by austin smith who i really don't know who he is but apparently he is a snowboarder, but still gloves aren't warm and get soaked
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 1:05pm
dakine's gloves tend to get soak quite easy. i have the bronco, viper, cobra, element. used to love them, but moved on to celtek tripping claw gloves because it just don't get soak quite as bad and the stitching is much stronger than dakine. my cobra show wear after 2 years of use, but my celtek tripping had been through 4 years still looking new while being abuse just as hard as the cobra (scrap by trees, rocks, dipping in deep powder etc).
hmmm... Now What???   
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 11:07am
Pow mittens for cold days and pipe gloves for warm days.

Both are interchangable but I like how easy on/off the pipe gloves are on the lift where as the mittens are a bit harder to get on and off quickly.
 Post Reply Post Reply