Centered stance on a directional twin

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shinpou View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote shinpou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Centered stance on a directional twin
    Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 12:54am
Hello guys!

Before posting my question, I would like to first make a short description of my gear and riding ability.

I have started snowboarding in 2008, when I also bought my first snowboard: FTW Prime 08/09 Directional twin, positive camber. I learned to snowboard on this board and haven't changed it since. I am quite confident on the slope, landing jumps, high speed-carving, riding any slope, landing my 180s both FS and BS, and riding switch as well. 

Now...I was wondering if I could center my stance on my snowboard, since it has a 25mm setback. I want to know if by doing so my riding ability would be impaired.

Thank you!
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 5:32am
I tried a google search and came across the Stepchild FTW snowboard, I hope that's what you meant.  I can't quite find the 2008/2009 Prime model but in any case, I'll try and answer your question.  

So your board is directional, but you wish to center your stance?  May I ask for what purpose?  Since it is traditional camber, you would end up going over the front points of contact with your front foot/binding.  I would imagine this would throw your carves off as you are shortening the distance to your front points of contact and lengthening the distance to your rear points of contact.  If you are hoping to achieve a "twin" setup for park, I recommend you pick up a separate true twin shape board.

I considered trying the same thing on my Vapor when I wanted to start learning switch riding but opted out when I realized how it would affect the distances to my points of contact and thus my turn initiation.  Switch on a directional board isn't impossible and shouldn't be that much more difficult than when you first learned to board.  You already have the added advantage of knowing how to ride normal too.
JOIN ME @ THRIVE SNOWBOARDS! http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/rp/120169
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 9:32pm
fj5 is absolutely right it's not the same if anything you're board probably rides the same as a twin on hard snow anyways as (not for sure since I'm not to familiar with the board) it's probably twin contact to contact point with just a slightly longer nose scoop. 
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
HUMP ALL SNOW!!

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 5:48pm
A directional twin is twin in shape, but directional in flex. With that in mind, I did a centred stance on a full directional board before (for switch riding) and the results were unhelpful. The issue is that the board's flex profile is meant to be ridden in one direction: stiffer tail, softer nose. I felt it when I ride it backwards at higher speeds since the narrower and stiffer tail (now the nose) likes to continue tracking straight and resist turning. 

For your directional twin board, your ride ability will not be affected negatively since there is no taper in a twin shape. You will just need to get used to having weaker ollies on what is now a softer tail.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 11:12pm
As long as is twin shaped, centered stance it's fine. if its directional shape, you'll be setup over the effective edge in such way that feels really awkward while riding.
25mm is almost an inch...pretty sure. That's a lot of difference of riding on the effective edge. Had a directional twin and centered my stance on it, felt super weird not riding it's recommended setback stance...think it was setback 25mm as well.
Try it, see what happens.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 3:45am
I bought my wife a directional twin and I set the board almost centered. the nose is 19 inches long and the tail is 18.5. I talked to the Drake rep and he said that centering a direction board is ok as long as the tail isn't washing out. If it does change the stance to a little set back
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 7:06am
directional twin just means there is something twin about it, and something directional about it. this is almost always one of three different things... either a twin shape with directional flex, directional shape with twin flex, or what is very common is actually a board that's a true twin between the contact points (the part of the board you actually ride on while on groomed snow) but the nose kick is a little longer and taller.  with that third option, you are essentially riding a true twin board, but with that slightly larger nose kick that can only make a difference when sunk in fresh snow.

basically, it just comes down to the specific board, since directional twin covers a small spectrum of styles.  personally, I would ride it based on the reference stance.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 11:16am
^ Yes to spenser's comment.  There is definitely more than one type of directional twin (contrary to what Lux said, no offense).  Nowadays though, it usually does mean twin shape, directional flex, but you should always make sure before buying.  

To add, I think centering stance on a directional camber board would be much more noticeable than if it were a rocker as you don't have two separate contact zones with rocker, just one big one in the "middle".

spenser, I forget, is the R.Crew twin shape directional flex or directional shape twin flex?  It's been a while since I've had it but for some reason, I think the nose was longer.

EDIT:  Listed as Directional Twin Shape... now I feel like it was twin shape with the tail a little more stiff.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 11:23am
Originally posted by fj5

spenser, I forget, is the R.Crew twin shape directional flex or directional shape twin flex?  It's been a while since I've had it but for some reason, I think the nose was longer.

Its twin shape, directional, stiffer flex on the tail softer on the nose quite noticeable too
I currently have it on centred stance, kinda wanna back set it though. see how that's like
but I would imagine it would make more sense if you're riding on pow.
what will a back set do, behaviour of the board/ride?
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 11:42am
Unless you're taking it on POW, you won't need to set it back.  I personally love centered stance.  I say keep it there for now, especially for here in Ontario, and enjoy it!

When you hitting up Blue again?
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 8:56am
Originally posted by fj5

Unless you're taking it on POW, you won't need to set it back.  I personally love centered stance.  I say keep it there for now, especially for here in Ontario, and enjoy it!

When you hitting up Blue again?
I've no clue when.
Hoping I'll be able to get out tmr but not sure where yet.  Likely to be going to Moonstone or Horseshoe. SO much closer and its right off the Hwy
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 9:32am
you need to figure out what kind of directional twin you have before deciding where to set the bindings.  here's an example.  let's say yours is the type that is true twin between the contact points, but the nose kick is longer and taller (this is a pretty common type).  if you were to center your bindings based on the nose and tail, you would actually be set forward in relation to the board's edge.  on groomers, that's essentially the same thing as riding a true twin with your bindings set forward.  not really what you want, is it?

now if it's a twin shape and directional flex, centering the bindings in relation to the nose and tail leaves you centered on the edge as well, so it's true centering.

personally, I will not ride centered on any board, even though I often ride twins and go switch throughout the day.  mostly a directional rider, and I like having a longer nose since the terrain here is so variable.  if I were in a park oriented mountain, I would probably go centered.. but even then, probably not.
 Post Reply Post Reply