Can you ride switch-

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowinter123 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowinter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you ride switch-
    Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 4:02pm
Tomorrow I will be going snowboarding and I have my bindings set at +15 / 0 and I really wanted to try out riding switch but I'm not sure if I should switch my bindings already or first have a go and see how it works. I'm still a beginner so I don't have any experience in riding regular (I'm goofy)
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 4:38pm
switch will be easier with your bindings +15/-15, or somewhere in that "duck" stance area.

...however, some of the best pros do ride with more of a surf stance.  Mads Jonsson rides -3/+15, Nicolas Muller rides 0/+18, Terje Haakonsen rides all forward at something like +6/+21...but, the very best of them all (imo), Travis Rice rides fairly duck at -9/+18.
chhummystar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chhummystar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 5:00pm
stance angles are all preference.
I'd say try to become a decent rider going regular, then when you form the muscle memory try to ride switch.
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 6:02pm
If you are serious about learning switch, it will take patience... Spend one full day riding switch. You'll develop the balance and basic manoeuvres within the first day. The second and third full days riding switch are for speed and technique. The same lessons for beginner riders still apply when learning switch riding: knees bent, fluid movements, and look where you steer. As for bindings: if the board is directional, you may as well invert them to help you remain stable. Good luck!
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 6:43pm
Stance is all preference like chhummystar said. I used to ride 21,18 and could ride switch pretty well. I ride 18.-9 not and can still ride switch it just feels better on the knees
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 7:38pm
agreed stance is preference. you dont need to change your bindings to ride switch. you can keep it the way you normally ride. one tip though was to play around with the highbacks. by adjusting the lean you can help make your heelside turns initiate sooner. 

when i ride switch i have to actively remind myself to keep my front knee bent outwards. you can practice on bunny slops with the left foot only strapped in to help reinforce using that foot to steer. good luck, its a slow process but its the start to doing rotations later on.
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Quote mbesp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 9:43am
I like the twin board and mirrored stance. works for me, probably be worth turning you back foot out at least a little at first.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Lux

If you are serious about learning switch, it will take patience... Spend one full day riding switch. You'll develop the balance and basic manoeuvres within the first day. The second and third full days riding switch are for speed and technique. The same lessons for beginner riders still apply when learning switch riding: knees bent, fluid movements, and look where you steer. As for bindings: if the board is directional, you may as well invert them to help you remain stable. Good luck!

Good advice, I usually quit attempting to ride switch during mid run.  LOL  I just can't get the toe carving right on switch.  Cry
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 10:08am
You don't HAVE to switch your stance angles to ride switch.  I usually 12/-12 on my twin boards but ride 15/-9 on my directional.  I think general DUCK stance is quite helpful, but I could be biased because that's all I know.

I have mixed feelings about learning switch early.  

On the positive side:
- could help you determine if you're really regular or goofy
- things you learn riding normal can be quickly applied to switch
- could help overall balance working out both sides of your body and could be faster in the long run to develop in to a really strong rider

However:
- mistakes you make riding normal could carry over to riding switch
- delays building confidence riding normal and will probably lead to more painful falls
- you won't really have a sense of true skill riding one way so you can't apply your own experiences and expertise to the other way

I learned switch much later than riding regular.  I pretty much developed 95% confidence riding regular before I started to ride switch.  This allowed me to understand the proper mechanics and postures for efficient riding and thus in my mind, I only had to mirror it.  Whereas it took me weeks to build up my skills in riding regular, although the first day of riding switch was like starting all over again, I progressed MUCH more quickly with switch, just several days.  Now I pretty much have the same confidence riding regular and switch.

My biggest piece of advise would be the "torque" of your body.  It took me a little while to realize I was not torquing enough the other way when riding switch, I had to feel like I was exaggerating it at first.  You get so used to one side, mirroring isn't so simple.  So yeah, I suggest really torquing your body to face forward and that back leg really needs to be nimble.  Don't let it get lazy on you, it needs to work just as hard as your "other" back leg when riding normal.

Good luck!
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 11:26am
I've always been taught to maintain a neutral posture and not to face your body forward when snowboarding down normal runs. 
jacquet View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jacquet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 12:05pm
Terje is an animal. Always been my favorite rider.

Riding switch- before Mr. Miyagi allowed me to ride switch I had to learn to write with my left hand.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 12:14pm
I have my bindings set +15/-15...duck stance. I can ride switch..but my switch riding is no where as precise at my regular riding. Just enough for me exit jibs switch.

One thing that really helped me riding switch was to exaggerate my movements and weight shifting..but prepare to make noobs mistates haha.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 12:52pm
Set the bindings angles that are comfortable to you.
While riding switch, take long relaxing carves on easier runs and get the feel of both edges, and balance again. Keep those knees slightly bent.  
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 12:54pm
I would switch it to +15 -15. That's what I did when I started riding switch and it works great! I wanna try getting off the lift switch
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 4:46pm
Ive got mine set at +12/-12 and i love it. And also over the summer I took up longboarding. Oddly enough I snowboard regular but longboard goofy. That helped me a ton because the motions of riding switch on the snow felt so natural to me after longboarding switch all summer.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 5:14pm
I tried riding switch yesterday for quite awhile. Couldn't do it, got pissed and quit. I need better commitment. I could NOT for the life of me go from my heel edge back to my toe edge. 
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 5:31pm
I'm not very good at switch either.  I first started getting the hang of it by riding out from 180s, but, even then, I'd revert back to regular the first chance i got. 

Now, I always link several turns switch every day I go up, just for a little practice.  I'd, personally, never waste a whole day riding switch...unless I was riding with a beginner.

If you really want to be able to ride switch, but absolutely cannot do even one linked switch turn, try a bataleon or lobster board.  The angled up edges of TBT make switch a lot easier.  It's kinda like training wheels for switch, but it will boost your confidence, no matter what board you end up on.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 5:45pm
Bout the TBT thing... Rocker will have the same effect. It's kinda like the whole debate on whether to learn on rocker or camber. I almost wish I woulda been on a camber yesterday as you don't unintentionally spin, you stay "locked in" your turns.
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 6:40pm
just like Piranha said, I wouldn't waste a whole day riding switch. I'm feeling more and more confident riding regular, but realized I need to get better at switch. Luckily, we had a 2nd time rider with us, so I started to practice switch and felt like I was getting the hang of it more and more. I feel like I can do toe side more than heel. I feel like I'm gonna fall when go to heel side
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 8:17pm
I agree as well... it's best to learn switch with other people who want to learn switch or newbies altogether.  I started learning switch on the bunny hills while my other friends were starting snowboarding.  However, I went on a trip to Tremblant and I ended up going out one day by myself as everyone else wanted a day off or do other stuff, so I rode switch as much as I could that day and constant repetition really helps.  You just have to keep at it.  Multiple days on the hill is good with any learning.  You get ample practice the first day, sleep on it, then you go right back at it after your brain resets.  I did it for riding regular too.

As for going from heel to toe, it's just like how you learned to do it riding normal, you have to avoid leaning back but instead move your weight forward over your front foot, plant it, and pivot around it.  As you're starting out though, exaggerate the back kick of the back leg so you don't pick up too much speed and bail.  If you're just starting out with switch, I wouldn't suggest long wide carves, they're difficult.  Instead, do short sharp "hops" from edge to edge, creating a zig zag pattern down the hill.  You just have to get used to that side of your body moving a lot more than normal.
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2013 at 9:14pm
It was my friends first time up so I decided to practice switch all day. Still had to wait at the lift for him. Lol
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 9:06am
Someone gave me the advice to ride switch toward the end of my runs. Usually during the greens. I do three turns on switch, then 3 regular turns, then 3 switch turns, etc. til I get to the bottom. Been working for me, I can only do greens though, havent done blues switch.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 9:11am
when i was learning to ride switch i would do at least one entire run from top to bottom switch per day.  now i generally pop back and forth on most runs but usually try too still do an entire run switch.  definitely makes you a stronger rider overall.
MOAR powderz plz!
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 9:42am
when i just started (after mastering the falling leave), i rode regular most of the time. but over time, i became more comfortable riding goofy and have been riding goofy for the past few years. i can still ride regular if i wanted, but i'm just not as confident if i wanted to charge harder. so riding switch isn't a problem for me. i think doing entire runs on switch should help with "learning" to ride switch. you already know what to do, you just need to get more riding time on it.

you should also adjust your binding angles so they're more even both ways. i usually have mine at +12/-12.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 10:31am
In case you haven't seen this yet, great tips from Doug:

EDIT:  You may want to keep these tips in mind as well as you're just starting out:

CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 12:49pm
Been getting into riding switch this year much more than in the past and it's done wonders for my park riding.

Just incredibly frustrating doing so.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 12:59pm
When I first started snowboarding, I learned how to ride regular one year and then I practiced goofy the next year. Now I'm able to ride switch easily.

Just practice slowly on the easy beginner slopes and do long carves. Then once you get the hang of it, go to the intermediate slopes and so on. Make sure to keep your weight on the front foot and keep your knees bent.
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 9:30pm
Just spend an entire day riding switch no matter what and by days end your progress will be amazing
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 10:30pm
I still need to try getting off the lift switch. Shouldnt be too hard, but Iv been wrong before.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 12:26am
Why would you need to get off the lift switch?  Isn't that entirely based on what foot you bind up, which is usually your normal front foot?
irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote irish-boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 12:34am
Riding switch for me is still an absolute nightmare, i just feel faaaaarrrr too wonky and awkward. I can't wait to get on my board again and give it a good practice day.
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 1:20am
Originally posted by fj5

Why would you need to get off the lift switch? Isn't that entirely based on what foot you bind up, which is usually your normal front foot?

Yeah I know but if you're practicing switch, might as well try coming off the lift switch. Should be fun ahah, you can remember how its like to fall coming off the lift again.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 6:25am
^ I wouldn't recommend it... you'd be endangering the lives of other riders and would probably piss everyone off on the lift for stopping it.  

I guess it could be useful if you're trying to avoid your normal front leg from cramping (from the board weight while riding the lift).
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 7:23am
I am a better rider switch.  my mechanics are much much cleaner and my carvings is smooth.  but I can't go nearly as fast.  
-zakk

kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 7:57am
Originally posted by humblerooster

Originally posted by fj5

Why would you need to get off the lift switch? Isn't that entirely based on what foot you bind up, which is usually your normal front foot?

Yeah I know but if you're practicing switch, might as well try coming off the lift switch. Should be fun ahah, you can remember how its like to fall coming off the lift again.

I tried this to fully commit to a day of switch riding and it really is unnecessary. I almost injured myself doing the splits when I normally have no issues getting of lifts. And this was when I was able to take full runs at good speed switch. 

But getting back to OP- as some mentioned already, I don't think its a good idea to learn switch so early on. There's already so much you need to learn just with your regular stance, why slow down that process by adding switch riding? I think if you tried both, you'll just end up falling leaf a lot of the time and/or not learning to link turns early enough to enjoy snowboarding. You have years of progression and fun you can enjoy without going switch. I think most will agree that riding switch came out of opportunity as we either 1. wanted more of a challenge riding groomers after years of riding, 2. want to not be so impatient waiting for beginner friends and utilize the time waiting efficiently, or 3. work on switch riding to improve park riding. 

Go out and have fun, which ever way you ride, but if you are starting off, I say just stick to learning and mastering the basics with your normal stance. Oh- and always play with your settings (binding angles and width). You never know what works for you unless you try and hearing what other people have does nothing for the individual rider. I'm still playing with my settings to this day. 
Its not fun unless its sketchy
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Lux

If you are serious about learning switch, it will take patience...
Huge understatement!! It's almost like starting over. But I think the time put in is worth it and you'll be a better rider for it. Good Luck.
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 10:24am
The best way to learn switch is to teach someone else.  They will be going slow anyway and so riding switch will be the best way to not outpace them.  It's even better if you they are naturally goofy/regular while that is the direction you switch ride.  I learned to be nearly as fast switch as regular just by teaching my girlfriend to ride.  I do have to say my switch ollies still suck.  For some reason i can get plenty of pop if I ollie and 180 out of switch but I get little from switch ollies.  
smoothrider5 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote smoothrider5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 10:58am
I learned switch after I mastered riding regular. If you don't have the regular technique nailed it is very hard to learn to ride switch.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 11:11am
Originally posted by irish-boarder

Riding switch for me is still an absolute nightmare, i just feel faaaaarrrr too wonky and awkward. I can't wait to get on my board again and give it a good practice day.

Haha, same here but I think I will try that stick your hand in your opposite pocket technique and see how it works to keep my body right when trying switch carving.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 12:08pm
I can ride switch enough to tweedle out of sticky situations and to come around from 180s or helecoptering down the hill, but man I can't just "ride" switch at all.

I really can't go from heel to toe riding switch.  In fact, i've been trying the last few times out on the easy runs... I'd rather go jib off things instead i guess.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
skincard View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote skincard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 12:47pm
Funny. I used to skateboard riding goofy but now that I am learning snowboarding, I seem to prefer regular. I guess that's a good thing, right?
teaker View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote teaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 5:45am
My girlfriend is learning to ride- and I've been forcing myself to ride switch when I ride with her.. Frustrating at first but getting the hang of it... Definitely boosts the confidence when landing switch.
imurdaddy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote imurdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 7:58pm
Well what I did ( I had the same problem ) I tried both ways and found my most dominant foot you can try that it might help
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 9:17pm
I didn't change my binding settings, I just started to practice switch. Wasn't taught, I'm sure my form is horrible but I'm just trying more and more
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 12:03pm
our slopes are tiny. so when I get bored I ride switch. I've done it for half days. I'm pretty good at it now. not as good as my regular but still pretty good.
yaya34 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Evil Monkeys Not So Evil After All

Quote yaya34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 12:31pm
I am no expert switch ride either but the way that I learned better was to put my feet totally switch. Meaning +15 and 0 or opposite. The only problem with this is that you are forced to ride switch. I figured it was the best way for me to learn because it forces me to do it. Some people wouldn't enjoy this because I guess its like learning how to snowboard all over again.

I'll admit it sucked a lot and I only did it for 1 full day - actually 2 1/2's but I was definatley a better switch rider after.
YaYa
highlife0422 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote highlife0422 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 12:58pm
Two winters in a row with no good snow in Tahoe... only way to feel challenged was to learn switch.
markyjas View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote markyjas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 1:10pm
I agree with a lot of what these guys have said:

1. Riding switch is a great way to challenge yourself especially if your local mountain is boring/bad conditions.

2. If you bring some beginners with you, it's a great opportunity to practice switch since you'll be going slow.  I've taught a lot of people and it really helped me get the practice in.

3. By spending a whole day riding switch, I think these guys mean don't make any changes to your normal binding stance (what you want to use for everyday riding).  Definitely don't change your setup to goofy.  I know one guy who did this, seemed really silly to me and he had to change it back partway through the day.

4. I think it is a valuable skill.  It helps you really think about the intricacies of making a turn and switch edges once it becomes second nature for regular and helps you improve.  Not to mention it makes you more confident riding and helps you progress your spins.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 1:52pm
can't believe I did not make a comment here yet!
but as many has covered about switch riding, I'm part of the group that does it while newbies are learning to be efficient with my time. I'm also doing it so I can become more confident when I land some spins and eventually want to hit to park a little more and stomp some boxes!
I had days where switch was easy. but the weekend that just passed I totally wiped out hard! and my body just cracked all over.. I'll have to go back to basics again, straight down heel side, straight down toe side.. then get back into linking again.. I'm not yet comfortable with the speed on my switch. and I'm at the level where I'm just starting to get a lil comfortable riding blacks on my goofy.  THe steeps still feel quite scary.
I cant wait to go out and ride again!!
 Post Reply Post Reply