How did your love of snow start-

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did your love of snow start-
    Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 7:03pm
I know this may be a little random, but I would just like to hear how everyone started snowboarding.

The first time I went to a ski field (a lot of ski fields are too small to be called resorts in New Zealand..) was when I was 12 and it was for a school trip. We went to Mt Hutt in NZ, and I first rode skis, had a 2 hour lesson and spent a few hours on the learners slope.
You may not believe this, but I literally did not fall a single time the whole day... So my love of snow began.

My family is not a ski/board family at all, so for the next couple years I only managed to get on some skis once.
When I was 15 I went on a YMCA ski camp trip, it was a 6 day trip where you got to go to 2 mountains over 4 days in a row, ended up going to Mt Dobson (tiny club field) and then Mt Hutt. I decided to try snowboarding the first day and loved it :D The next day I thought id try skiing again just to mix it up, but it just felt.. wrong.
So I ended up snowboarding for the rest of the trip

I didnt have any opportunities or money to go up the mountain in NZ (went a couple times in Korea) until I got into uni and joined a snow sports club by myself, which was probably the best thing Ive done at uni, and also got into the committee..
Met some really awesome people, made loads of friends and been improving on this tiny club mountain called Temple Basin which is our base field.

Snowboarding is definitely going to be my lifelong obsession...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 7:12pm
for us, it kinda comes naturally with living in Alaska I guess, hah.  I remember seeing dudes snowboarding on a popular sledding hill by my old house when I was super little, back when brands like kemper were still relevant.  I think it was by the time I was 4 that I started standing up on sleds, which is where it really started.  soon after that, I started getting those super flimsy plastic boards with plastic loop bindings, and eventually started taking lessons up at our local mountain.  when I was 9, I got my first real board and that was where it took off.. 15 seasons later, here I am, still loving it.

I feel extremely fortunate to live where I live and have what I have, and I'm blessed with the boardshop job I've had for the last 7 years which allows me to have the life I love.  pretty stoked.  hopefully it keeps progressing from here....
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 10:05pm
Ah true I guess so, Alaska sounds sweet! I envy people who started boarding so early in their lives, so much more time to improve your skills...
Working closely with boards must be real awesome!
dave1donalds2 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote dave1donalds2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 10:24pm
i once visited jammu and kashmir......from that day i started loving snow....because of its texture
classified website
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 10:35pm
I was maybe 11 and my cousins (who were avid skiers) invited me to Boreal (LOL which is like a hill) I went down, and felt like I was gliding full speed....I never realized how much going down a snow covered hill was so much fun!

With snowboarding, I remembered when linking my turns became fluid....I was hooked!
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 3:55am
One of my best friends used to live on Shawnee Mountain and when we were younger we used to hike through the woods and watch the older kids ride the hand dug halfpipe. There was always this really good kid (Keir Dillon)that we loved to watch and he was kind of the reason we started snowboarding.
I was about 13 and my friend was 11 and once we strapped in we were hooked.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 7:15am
I started when I was 19. I've been in Kansas City for most of my life and grew up poor so going skiing or snowboarding was out of the question. KC is pretty much all flat lands and there's only one place to go to have fake snow was a big hill called Snow Creek. My good friend/roll model got me going to Snow Creek one time and it was so much fun--even after all the bruises. After a good couple of months we finally saved up for Colorado and that's how I fell in love with snow. It was the amazing feeling of floating on snow (for more than 1 minute compared to KC Snow Creek hill). Best feeling ever was when I could link carves. After that I started to share my passion with friends and family. Now, we got a group of 10 going to CO once a year.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 7:25am
I was a skiier from 7 to 29. I always liked skateboarding and still skate in the summers. I tried boarding when I was 30 and haven't been on skis since. I think the love really started when carving clicked on that first rental snowboard.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 6:08pm
Always loved snow from when I was a little kid...snow was the ultimate. I'd stay out sledding til midnight and always go to the local hill to tube. Then I started skating when I was about 10 and found an old snow skate for cheap and started that. Didn't start riding til I was 13 but I was HOOKED immediately. Unfortunately no one else was that hooked and the most I rode was about 5-10 days a year until I turned 17 and could drive up the hill anytime I wanted. I hit 30 days that year until March when baseball started and my season ended. Finally hit hte 40 day plateau 2010 and went west for the first time. Best year for sure.
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 6:22pm
Used to slide down hills while standing upright. I always foot-slid right foot forward (goofy). It seemed logical to attach a board.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 7:02pm
I started at 22 and wanted to learn something new.  My friend invited me up to Mammoth and I just fell in love on the first day.  Even today I love snowboarding and will ride every opportunity I get.  Summers have become unbearable and my non snowboarding friends don't see me during the winter. 

I've met wonderful people and made some great friends and it wouldn't have been without snowboarding.  I guess I just love the challenge and the fact that you're always learning and progressing.  It's addicting.
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 7:40pm
I was headed to a resort and that resort was closed because there was too much powder to open the resort. We went to a different resort and they were open. The snow was so forgiving that I enjoyed falling and watching the powder flying into the air. Ever since I would to go snowboarding and every time I see a lot of powder, it reminds me of my first time.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 9:22pm
Growing up in the Bay Area, I got to go up to Tahoe. I started snowboarding at Boreal when I was young, but only a few seasons ago that i got to go consistently.
shreddog_123 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Duck season

Quote shreddog_123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 11:07pm
Man I used to live outside of Spokane Washington and my parents would take me up to "hill" Spokane (not worthy of being called "mount" Spokane)every year. I was 8 years old when they gave me one of those wal mart slip in boards for Christmas. I used that piece of plastic on everything from ice covered driveways to 3 feet of pow. I remember looking down one of the runs at Hill Spokane and saying "I wanna do this for the rest of my life." from then on I could never get enough of snow. Winter is by far the greatest season made by God.
Do you know God???
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 1:47am
I went from skateboarding to wakeboarding. So when I had the chance to go on exchange to the US for college I went on a 5 day snowboarding trip to prep myself and loved it from there.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 4:15am
girlfriend forced me to ski with her, l said skiing is for old people. l'm going boarding. Started from that lol 
for fantastic outdoor deals, checkout:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/KelvinChung
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 10:48am
So jelly of some of you people who got to grow up right by massive resorts! snowboarding is definitely a crazily addictive lifestyle..
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 11:12am
My first face to face encounter with the snow... I think I was in grade 5 (1993), I tried to slide down a slope on my two feet... turns out that snow was ice... I slipped and when I say face to face, I meant it. hahaha big bloody lip.  So I wasn't a fan right away. Wink

I remember cross country skiing not long after that (maybe 1994 or 1995?)... I hated it.  Tedious and BORING! LOL

I actually hated winter for many years.  Shoveling, driving in sketchy conditions, salt/dirt all over everywhere.  First time I went snowboarding was grade 11 (1999), went on a day trip with my best friend.  We were both completely new to it, but he was a skier.  Painful but fun day.  I didn't get hooked though.

My second time snowboarding was much later (maybe 2008?).  I went on a day trip with my girlfriend and we stayed on the baby hills.  It was also painful but fun.  Still didn't get hooked.

Then 2010 came and one of my coworkers was hosting a group trip to Moonstone here in Ontario.  We started on the magic carpet, then had a 1 hr lesson on a green hill plowing heel edge for the top half then toe edge for the bottom half.  Stayed on there for the rest of the day.  THAT is when I got hooked.  I told my friend, alright, you and me, we're going to go up to Blue Mountain and do two straight days/nights of boarding until we get carving down!  I think it was the following weekend, we went and toughed it out on the blue trails.  More so plowing than carving but major progress.  That was actually the last trip of the season, snow was already melting.

Then I discovered Sierra Snowboards in the off season and spent a lot of money here, hahaha.  Became a big gear head... I usually do with new interests.

The following season I must've spent around 20-30 days on the slopes.  It really helped that I quit my job and had my winters pretty free.  Went to Blue Mtn a lot with my 5x7 pass, Horseshoe Valley, Glen Eden... and eventually went to Tremblant QC, Jay Peak VT, Whistler BC, Killington VT... now I want to go everywhere!  Would love to go heli-boarding one day.

I don't mind shoveling snow so much now after a big overnight storm... I just keep thinking how awesome the conditions will be at the hill! Big smile

EDIT:  It's awesome to see parents investing in their children to learn at such a young age... but yeah, this sport/hobby/passion is EXPENSIVE!  It definitely helped that I had my own personal income to support it because I'm the only one in my family who does it.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
Redheaderr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Big Sky, Montana

Quote Redheaderr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 11:13am
It had always appealed to me my whole life but I had other expensive winter hobbies (hockey, backpacking).  After I graduated high school and stopped growing out of my old gear, I decided to try it, and I will never stop now.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 12:30pm
As soon as I started learning to snowboard, I really enjoyed doing it and I went snowboarding during any break I had. I don't know why but I just really like snow :)
rosati777 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Calvin and Hobbes Extreme Sports

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 1:49pm
It all started in the snow of 1996 when there was that massive snowstorm, I fell in love. I could not stop playing in the snow but I would get lost in it there was so much snow haha
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 1:53pm
it was 6th grade when I first went on a school ski trip to colorado...all the way from alabama.  That was a long, long trip, but I was small enough to fit in the bus's overhead luggage compartment, so I basically had my own little suite/bed.  Right when I stepped off the bus in breckenridge, I threw up from altitude sickness, but after about 3 hrs of feeling like I was dying, I was on the bunny slope taking ski lessons...30 min after that, it all clicked, and I bailed for the beginner lift.  Was a long time between trips when I lived in the south, but I was always stoked on snow after that first time...funny thing is, I've never ridden any of the east coast resorts. 
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 1:58pm
I used to skateboard a lot as a kid.  My neighbor took me to Winter Park and I got addicted right away.  Been dreaming of it every day since.
irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote irish-boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 2:11pm
My dad brought be skiing when i was 12, then another few ski holidays and a little money made me think of buying my own board..that's when things got really good!!
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
Soft View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Soft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 2:21pm
I really don't fully know... But I might think it was the first time I saw a snowboarder passing me, and went for a rail :) And all thoose snowboard movies on youtube and all over the internett! :)

GoldDragon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GoldDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 2:34pm
My love of snow started about 10 years ago when my family first went on a family vacation. All the adults when skiing and snowboarding, but i had to stay home? thats when i decided that snowboarding was for me and such.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 3:57pm
I grew up as a skier, then my gf taught me how to snowboard 2 yrs ago. So helpful and a great patient person. I'm glad I know how to snowboard now, it's all about tightening my turns and other things
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Quote mbesp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 5:47am
started with sledding and then going skiing with my dad. Living in mn doesn't provide much for exciting hills so I wanted to try something new and got a snowboard and it was way too huge so I didn't like it and went back to skiing. A few years later my friends started snowboarding so I tried again and haven't stopped.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 6:36am
My first snowboard experience was with my buddy and some plastic snowboards. We were young and would build little jumps in his woods and make rails out of trees and mess around. Made learning on a real snowboard effortless. Rode my first day on a 7th grade field trip, rented, and felt like I had been riding for a long time. Bought a snowboard a few weeks later. (And never got to ride till the next year haha ) 
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
heinz View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote heinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 1:05pm
I felt like mine was such a fustrating experience, probably cuz i'm such a scaredy cat, but I persevered through it, and eventually I realized.. hey, snowboarding is kinda fun if you don't die :D
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 1:11pm
I absoutely hate the snow but I love snowboarding.  If it never snowed in Denver again and dumped in the mountains I would be perfectly ok with that.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by CoMtnRider

I absoutely hate the snow but I love snowboarding.  If it never snowed in Denver again and dumped in the mountains I would be perfectly ok with that.

Really?  That sucks.  I miss the snow around home after I moved away from Denver.  It was a pleasant surprise to wake up to a few inches this past Christmas morning at my parents house.  Good time to bust out an old snowskate.
tmirkamalov View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tmirkamalov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 1:02am
I hated the snow before started snowboarding, after that i LOVE the snow!
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 2:27am
Originally posted by tmirkamalov

I hated the snow before started snowboarding, after that i LOVE the snow!

Haha my best friend despises the cold, but shes learning to snowboard so hopefully she will learn to love the snow and the cold as well
ShredDatPow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ShredDatPow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 3:57am
I used to live at the beach and skateboarded all the time. Then I moved to where I live now and the kids I started to hang around with were always going to the mountain during the winter time and asked me to go with them once. I went and even though I fell quite a bit, I loved it and haven't stopped since.
 Post Reply Post Reply