NHL 2013/ 2013 Season

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 34567 12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHL 2013/ 2013 Season
    Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 6:29am
One game on the docket today, Senators at Bruins.  The outcome will affect the Eastern Conference seeding - if Boston wins they overtake Montreal for the #2 seed and Ottawa stays at #8; if Ottawa wins they move up to #6 or #7 depending on their tiebreaker status with the Rangers.

The West is set:

#1 Chicago vs. #8 Minnesota
#2 Anaheim vs. #7 Detroit
#3 Vancouver vs. #6 San Jose
#4 St. Louis vs. #5 Los Angeles
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 6:51am
Kings get the Blues... it will be interesting to see what happens here considering how this match-up has gone over recent history.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 9:04am
Originally posted by shwazy

Kings get the Blues... it will be interesting to see what happens here considering how this match-up has gone over recent history.

Those Kings and Blues are both HEAVY hitting teams... 
When the kings get their cap back... Things will heat up even more!
Will be a highly entertaining series to follow. 

I'm definitely interested in the Sharks and Canucks... two fast teams... Will also be highly entertaining to watch a fast paced game. 
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 5:21am
Should be good to watch especially if Bobby Luo is between the pipes. Nucks better hope Corey Schneider gets back or they may have to score 5-6 goals per game to take this series.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 6:28pm
wow that was a brutal way for the Kings to lose!
djmaya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote djmaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 7:04pm
Hawks win with a beautiful play!
2012 Vapor 162W - 2010 CO2 EST - 2010 Hail
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 10:54pm
What do you guys think about the NHL's decision to do away with the two line pass a few years back?
If that rule was still in use today that hawks goal couldn't have been setup the way it did...
Also many others would....
Do you think it causes a bit of cherry picking? or is it all well and fair game now?

I think the goal was beautiful (hawks game winner) but I do think the forewards were way too high just looking for their defense to chip the puck out for a breakaway. 

thoughts??
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 12:23am
^i like it this way. It eliminated the neutral zone trap that many "defensive teams" would use against more faster-skilled teams. It was so frustrating not to mention boring when a skater had to puck handle past 5 opponents just to create a scoring chance. Basically opened up the game and made it more enjoyable to watch.

But there were several other rule changes made that changed the game to make it his way.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 8:01am

Jonathan Quick has to be beating himself up for holding on to the puck behind the net that long and allowing that easy goal in OT. Conn Smythe or not, that was bone-headed. Ouch
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 8:53am
Originally posted by lightning80

Jonathan Quick has to be beating himself up for holding on to the puck behind the net that long and allowing that easy goal in OT. Conn Smythe or not, that was bone-headed. Ouch
Just saw the highlights to the game. Yeah that's a tough one to swallow. Gift wrapped a short-handed overtime winner. Then again, it doesn't surprise me since he's one of the worst puck handling tenders in the game. Didn't he pull something like that in one of the games of last years cup finals?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 9:19am
Hawks-Wild game was fun to watch.  Tough game for Harding to lose, he was a last minute replacement for Backstrom who was hurt in the pre-game warmups.  Harding was diagnosed with MS (Multiple Sclerosis) earlier this season and refuses to let that become an excuse.  He played an outstanding game and came out on the short end.

MS is a terrible incurable disease that attacks the nervous system, I have witnessed first-hand the devastation it causes.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 10:29pm
Holy Moly that Sharks Canucks game was a tense one... until the end.
Very entertaining to watch and the Sharks have taken the home ice advantage. 
Should be a great series!

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 5:32am
Originally posted by Von44

Just saw the highlights to the game. Yeah that's a tough one to swallow. Gift wrapped a short-handed overtime winner. Then again, it doesn't surprise me since he's one of the worst puck handling tenders in the game. Didn't he pull something like that in one of the games of last years cup finals?

he is very bad with the puck...the most brutal thing was they just started a 4 minute power play.  There was no reason for him to even handle the puck.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 8:03am
I'm anxious to see how the Kings respond in game 2. They were thoroughly worked over in the first few periods in game 1...
Hopefully they come out prepared in game 2. 
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 11:19am
I'm hoping that there won't be many more blowouts like last night. I like hockey playoffs because usually every game is pretty close as opposed to basketball where lots of the first round games are blowouts.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 12:01pm
I'm thinking that there will be fewer blowouts now. 
Teams will make adjustments and that SHOULD (in theory) make things more even (and entertaining). 

It's weird to see teams playing their 1st game while others are going on their 2nd....
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 1:09pm
I have no confidence in Reimer to win a game against Boston. Guy always gives up 4 goals a night. If he and leafs keep playing like this in game 1 this series will be over quick.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Witty1

I'm anxious to see how the Kings respond in game 2. They were thoroughly worked over in the first few periods in game 1...
Hopefully they come out prepared in game 2. 
Yeah me too. I think the will come out strong.  They are a tough club mentally.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 3:34pm
WOW.... the hits to the head are ridiculous this post season... Just watched a HORRIBLE one in the Montreal Ottawa series....
I foresee a multi-game suspension for that nasty hit. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 5:03pm
^ If you're referring to Gryba's hit on Eller, yeah, it was a bad head-hunting hit.  Gryba received a major and game misconduct for the hit.  

Bruins' Ference got a 1 game suspension for throwing a forearm at Maple Leaf Grabovski's head.

Washington is putting it to the Rangers right now, 3-1 late in the 3rd period.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 10:09pm
Another BRUTAL loss for the Kings...

Ducks hurting to... Although I don't believe that penalty should have been called. 
The ref's let so much go but called that??
Ducks showed real tenacity coming back in that game. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 3:37am
Tough OT loss for the Ducks after fighting back and scoring 3 goals to tie the game.  

The Blues are looking good, I don't think people give them enough credit.  Only 5 teams in the NHL had more regular season points than St. Louis.  If Elliot keeps up his strong play in net I can see the Blues going deep into the playoffs.

Anderson (Ottawa's goalie) had a great game, stopping 48 of 50 shots, .960 SV%.

I love playoff hockey.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 6:22am

WOW.... the hits to the head are ridiculous this post season... Just watched a HORRIBLE one in the Montreal Ottawa series....
I foresee a multi-game suspension for that nasty hit. 
that hit looked clean to me. Yes there was some contact to the head but gryba didn't leave his feet, he just put his shoulder into Eller's chest. It's unfortunate that Eller was caught with his head down and got injured on the play but that was a clean check! It wasn't as bad as the Terence hit on Grabovski. That was a blatant shot to the noggin. But gryba was in all rights to make that check. I've made hits like that and taken hits like that when I played hockey. It's also Eller's fault for taking that death pass from his teammate.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 8:16am
I do agree that it was a suicide pass that the defense man should have NEVER made, but his head was the point of contact, not his chest. It looks to me that his jaw was hit, not his shoulder or chest. 

Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 10:52am
In my opinion I thought that hit was pretty clean. As for the contact to the head correct me if I am wrong but I believe the penalty was a 5 minute major and a game misconduct for interference, not for illegal head contact. And the player clearly touched the puck before being hit so that was not the right call to make. 
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 1:27pm

I do agree that it was a suicide pass that the defense man should have NEVER made, but his head was the point of contact, not his chest. It looks to me that his jaw was hit, not his shoulder or chest. 

I see where you're coming from cuz I'm sure we've all been seeing the same view that they play over and over on the highlights. Is it the view from the d-man passing?... basically, where Eller is heading up ice? Cuz that one DEF looks like a head hunting shot. But they played it from another angle, behind Gryba, and it clearly showed Gryba's shoulder contacting Eller's chest first only to follow it through and catch his chin. It wasn't totally flush cuz Gryba pretty much aimed for the right shoulder/chest area which spun him around. The severity increased when he hit the ice and smacked his head. I guess that's where it got bloody. But I still feel that it was a clean hit. The league has made quite a lot of rule changes to protect the players and their heads. Some times it falls on the player to protect themselves.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 1:56pm
Well.... He got 2 games for this hit from the nhl players safety guys...

They're saying that his head was the principle point of contact and that his route into the hit was not correct, (not enough body contact)
so basically.... not malicious but poorly aimed. 
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 2:02pm
Holy moly!
Eller got hurt... and I mean HURT.

He sustaining a concussion, facial fractures, loss of consciousness and had teeth knocked out after the hit and falling face-first to the ice.

That is just brutal...
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by sideways99

Tough OT loss for the Ducks after fighting back and scoring 3 goals to tie the game.  

The Blues are looking good, I don't think people give them enough credit.  Only 5 teams in the NHL had more regular season points than St. Louis.  If Elliot keeps up his strong play in net I can see the Blues going deep into the playoffs.

Anderson (Ottawa's goalie) had a great game, stopping 48 of 50 shots, .960 SV%.

I love playoff hockey.
Yes playoff hockey is the best.  Do not count the Kings out....
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 10:12pm
That Sharks Canucks game was intense!
A lot of big hits, several posts, and a very fast moving game. 
Both teams worked really hard but San Jose is going home 2-0!!

Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 5:08pm
That Ottawa Canadiens game really got out of hand. 
So much slashing, hacking, tripping, face washing....
and fighting of course. 
The last half of that 3rd period wasn't even worth watching. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 5:09pm
Wild day on the ice.  

Wild knock off the Blackhawks in OT, still down 2-1 in the series.

Penguins win in OT... I'm surprised the Islanders are putting up a fight, I wasn't expecting much from them.

Speaking of fight, what a game between Ottawa and Montreal.  Montreal got their asses handed to them 2-fold - the score and the brawl.  Senators were using the Canadiens as punching bags.  Here are the penalties for the big brawl:

07:04 OTT Jared Cowen : Fighting - 5 min (Ryan White)
07:04 OTT Jared Cowen : Fighting - 5 min (Ryan White)
07:04 MTL Ryan White : Fighting - 5 min (Jared Cowen)
07:04 MTL Francis Bouillon : Fighting - 5 min (Zack Smith)
07:04 OTT Zack Smith : Fighting - 5 min (Francis Bouillon)
07:04 OTT Chris Neil : Fighting - 5 min (Travis Moen)
07:04 MTL Travis Moen : Fighting - 5 min (Chris Neil)
07:04 OTT Chris Phillips : Fighting - 5 min (Jarred Tinordi)
07:04 MTL Jarred Tinordi : Fighting - 5 min (Chris Phillips)
07:04 OTT Matt Kassian : Fighting - 5 min (Colby Armstrong)
07:04 MTL Colby Armstrong : Fighting - 5 min (Matt Kassian)
07:04 MTL Ryan White served by Michael Ryder : Slashing - 2 min (Zack Smith)
07:04 MTL Francis Bouillon : Game misconduct - 10 min
07:04 MTL Ryan White : Misconduct - 10 min
07:04 MTL Travis Moen : Game misconduct - 10 min
07:04 OTT Zack Smith : Game misconduct - 10 min
07:04 OTT Chris Neil : Game misconduct - 10 min
07:04 OTT Jared Cowen : Misconduct - 10 min
07:04 OTT Chris Phillips : Game misconduct - 10 min
07:04 MTL Jarred Tinordi : Game misconduct - 10 min
07:04 MTL Colby Armstrong : Game misconduct - 10 min

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 8:54pm
Nice to see the isles staying with the pens. Almost went 2-1 in the series
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 6:53am
Do or die for the Kings tonight.  Win tonight and it is up for grabs.  Been such a classic hockey series so far.  2-1, 2-1, 1-0...great net minding and physical hard nose play...love it.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 8:46am
I know fighting has always been part of the game and the refs will allow it then penalize the players after. but, personally, i would prefer not to have these fights and have the refs stop it before it starts...
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 8:59am

I know fighting has always been part of the game and the refs will allow it then penalize the players after. but, personally, i would prefer not to have these fights and have the refs stop it before it starts...

I understand your thinking if it's 1 on 1. But if it's a repeated 5 on 5 fights, the game has gotten out of control and they need to try and put a stop to it and calm things down before someone gets hurt. 

Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 9:01am
I don't know why AV pulled Luongo and put in Schneider. 
Luongo was the only thing keeping the game tight for Vancouver. 
Do you think the Sharks will sweep in 4? or will the series go back to Vancouver?
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 9:12am

I don't know why AV pulled Luongo and put in Schneider. 
Luongo was the only thing keeping the game tight for Vancouver. 
Do you think the Sharks will sweep in 4? or will the series go back to Vancouver?

My guess it that it ends in 4.  Sharks caught a break playing Vancouver instead of St Louis who is the better club right now.  Kings would have been served losing to the Sharks in the last game of the series and getting the 6th seed.  Although if the Kings take care of business then they end up playing Anaheim if they win or the Sharks if Detroit wins which means either way they avoid Blackhawks in round two and they would have home ice against Sharks.  That was a mouthful but bottom line just take care of St Louis and things take card of themselves.  Anaheim against Kings in round two would be awesome.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 9:24am

Problem is if you take fighting out of hockey the cheap shots and stick work will increase.  The enforcers, goons, thugs, etc. keep the cheap-shot artists honest.  You take a run at my top skilled player and you better have your head on a swivel, my goon is coming after you.  Gordie Howe is one of the all-time best players - he could score goals, set up goals, check and fight.  Old time hockey at its' best.

The all-out 5 guys fighting 5 guys is too much.  5 concurrent fights with 2 refs and 2 linesmen will result in someone getting the shit punched outta him.  I have no issue with a good old 1 on 1 fight, the refs and linesmen can keep an eye on them and let them tire themselves out.  But 5 on 5 is crazy.  Montreal resorted to taking a cheap shot on the face-off after Ottawa score to make it 4-1.  Ottawa responded and pummeled Montreal.  Basically, Montreal got what they deserved, bunch of hacks.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 11:49am
Big game tonight between the Leafs and B's. Confident the Leafs take a 2-1 lead in the series.

Go Buds!!
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 1:25pm
Excited to see the Kings & the Blues play tonight. 

Man if you look at the post game interviews for the Canucks sharks GM 3. look at AV's interview... He looks tired, like he doesn't want to be there.... Given up hope??
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Von44

Big game tonight between the Leafs and B's. Confident the Leafs take a 2-1 lead in the series.

Go Buds!!

It's not looking good for the Leafs right now, 4-2 Boston with 9 minutes left in the 3rd.  Jagr had a nice steal and pass to set up the 2nd goal, the old dude can still play.

NYR and Washington tied at 2 after 2.

Hiller is building a wall against Detroit, 26 for 26 on saves tonight.

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 6:47am
^Just when you think they'd be able to gain a little momentum from game 2, they completely forgot to show up for game 3. Truly a weak performance overall. Basically got pushed around for 60 mins. If they don't get that fire lit under their arse again, it's over in 5.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 2:49pm
Lots of important games tonight!
So far.... pens & NYI are even... same with the sens and canadiens....

the sens and canadiens haven't dropped any gloves yet... but the game's still early and theres still lots of time for someone to get under the skin of someone else. 
then again... i'm sure the coaches have made a point to get the players to not retaliate. on both sides. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 10:50am
Vokoun in net for the Penguins in Game 5.  Fleury looked terrible last night in the 6-4 loss.  I would love to see the Isles upset Pittsburgh.

Canucks swept by Sharks, San Jose is the first team to move on to the 2nd round.  Congrats SJ fans, I know there are quite a few here.

Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 11:16am
The Isles have a great chance to upset the Penguins. They have a really solid team and I think that they're gonna come out on top of this series.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2013 at 9:30pm

Huh, looks like the Leafs are done! It was a good season to build on but just a disappointing playoffs.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 4:48am
That was some great playoff hockey last night, all 4 games decided by 1 goal with 3 of the games going to OT.  Five teams 1 win away from advancing and two series knotted at 2-2.

Looking forward to watching the Isles-Pens game tonight, hope the Isles light up Vokoun who has good stats against them.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 7:52pm
All 3 games tonight were just blowouts! Habs absolutely choked as the #2 seed.

Looking forward to see if the Kings can shut the door on the STL.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 10:18am
Two nights ago all games were decided by 1 goal.  Last night all games were decided by 4 or more goals.

Apparently Vokoun does have the Isles number, he shut 'em out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>