Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Online Status: Offline
  Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manti Te'o
    Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 4:31am
Seriously, WTF?  Only something this strange could knock Lance Armstrong out of the spotlight.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 4:32am
I don't follow football, but I just read about it. So weird.
For the record, just because you talk to someone on the Internetz, it doesn't make you their girlfriend.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 4:35am
It's a front to cover the fact that he is g a y.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 5:27am
What a strange and absolutely bizarre story. I kind of feel bad for the guy, but at the same time... Seriously...???!!
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 5:31am
Obviously he was in out it. He talked about yet now he is denying knowing about it.. lolwut
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 5:39am
Originally posted by ctoma

It's a front to cover the fact that he is g a y.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I thought you were past this after the Jamers incident (?)  I would just like to mention that we all know the Buckeyes would have beat the crap out of ND in that championship game except for the NCAA's ridiculous penalties.  Guess nothing like that would happen in South Bend since only "scholar-athletes" play there . . . .

-b
get bent
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 5:54am
Wow this guy is an idiot either way this turns out, because the real truth will be exposed shortly regarding his involvement. The BCS title game hurt his draft stock a little bit, this is gonna cost him millions. 

Here's the story for those unaware

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 6:08am
Originally posted by VermontRider

For the record, just because you talk to someone on the Internetz, it doesn't make you their girlfriend.
One of my many thoughts on this as well! How does an 'electronic' relationship make a women your 'girlfriend'. As the old saying goes, Life Is Stranger Than Fiction or i guess stranger than modern day sports personality's!
JerrySpringer View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JerrySpringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 6:15am
Originally posted by Ctoma

It's a front to cover the fact that he is g a y. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

weird... that was my first thought when I heard about this.. especially since he's mormie.. I'll see if I can get him and Tuiassasopo(sp butchered) character on my show.. maybe even reincarnate his fake gf tupac hologram style... ratings will be through the roof!

as far as draft stock goes he's still the top LB out there... this story isn't going to hurt him any.. i was listening to 'the HURD' this morning and he made a good point.. defensive players aren't expected to be philosophical... they have to be smart enough to read a playbook.. other than that their only other responsibility is to blow shit up. LT was a crackhead.. ray lewis got a way with murder.. these dudes aren't wired right up stairs to begin with.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:09am
There is no way he wasn't in on it.  No one is that naive.  He just wanted the national attention to help him win awards.    
"Sign up for the Daily give away at Thrive. http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/rp/66964"
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:12am
Who calls someone a girlfriend when you haven't spent time with one another? Not online chatting, but actual time with that other person physically together. If he was in on it, he's a jerk, If he was not in on it, he comes off as foolish.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:19am
Originally posted by JerrySpringer

as far as draft stock goes he's still the top LB out there... this story isn't going to hurt him any.. i was listening to 'the HURD' this morning and he made a good point.. defensive players aren't expected to be philosophical... they have to be smart enough to read a playbook.. other than that their only other responsibility is to blow shit up. LT was a crackhead.. ray lewis got a way with murder.. these dudes aren't wired right up stairs to begin with.

I would say Vontaze Burfict proved that theory wrong, he was a legitimate 1st rd draft pick until character issues came up followed by a poor combine. Obviously a worse character than Te'o, but he didn't even get drafted. Teams would rather make a safe choice in the first rd than draft a questionable character, especially if it turns out he was involved in the Hoax.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:23am
There are some other players, some in the NFL, that say this girl exists and that they've met this girl at some charity function in the American Samoa. Manti may or may not have actually seen her in person, but the girl is real. I think the only thing that's not real is her death. Manti might or might not have played a part to make his story more sensational and to gain more publicity. We'll find out more at noon pacific time. The girl is supposed to make some kind of clarification via het twittter account...
JerrySpringer View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JerrySpringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:34am
Originally posted by lightning80

There are some other players, some in the NFL, that say this girl exists and that they've met this girl at some charity function in the American Samoa. Manti may or may not have actually seen her in person, but the girl is real. I think the only thing that's not real is her death. Manti might or might not have played a part to make his story more sensational and to gain more publicity. We'll find out more at noon pacific time. The girl is supposed to make some kind of clarification via het twittter account...

Stanford has no record of her.. there is no birth/death certificate.. she's fake. The pictures were of some other chick. Anyone can start a twitter account.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:42am
I love how sportcenter is burning him so hard yesterday. They won't let him off the air. Lol.
How embarrassing.
He's a freaking freestyler...of bs
Soft View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Soft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:43am
I still don't know what to belive. People are draging this story every possible way.... I personaly belive (currently), since the girl haven't reached out, that Manti Teo have told a lie.

- P
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:47am
Originally posted by JerrySpringer

Stanford has no record of her.. there is no birth/death certificate.. she's fake. The pictures were of some other chick. Anyone can start a twitter account.

Yes, her name and story are all made up. But a girl does exist and other players have met her in person.
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:48am
People are saying that he is homosexual but he cant come out so he made a fake girlfriend to cover that up.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:51am
Football locker rooms aren't the most accepting of homosexual lifestyles.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:54am
Originally posted by julius77

Football locker rooms aren't the most accepting of homosexual lifestyles.

Especially in a conservative religious school like Notre Dame...
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 8:04am
I mean the cover of sexuality is a possibility, but I haven't heard evidence besides this forum's projections that it is going on.

I also don't know why Notre Dame is covering for him if he was in on it.  They had no wrongdoing what so ever, and covering for him (lying) is against their ethics.  So their backing makes be believe his story more.  But common sense suggests otherwise, and he could have not been straight with them (no pun intended).
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 8:04am
So she was his beard? I wonder if she was in on it too
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 8:09am
Originally posted by sdwc96

So she was his beard? I wonder if she was in on it too

Once again, I think this is jumping to conclusions (feel free to point out how wrong I am next week when this is proven).  I don't think he needed a beard.  If he did, a real live girl at his school would be a much better beard than an "online girlfriend."

If a cover was needed for this reason, I think that should be treated with some empathy.  Gay people get driven out of competitive sports because of homophobia all the time, sometimes from just the attitudes, but some are attacked and abused for years.  I can say with 100% certainty as an athlete that if I were homosexual I would have been in the closet and hiding it until after college.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 8:11am
this is so stupid. all publicity stunts. can't believe ppl even care about this, making it such a big deal
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 8:12am
Originally posted by letourneau41

There is no way he wasn't in on it.  No one is that naive.  He just wanted the national attention to help him win awards.    

I think that if this is the case, it is a way bigger offense than hiding sexuality.  And how could he have been in on it and combined with the death of his grandmother (who really did die)?  I just don't see it.  Maybe I want to believe him. 

I saw a funny tweet today from @mshowalter:
"...the only thing Manti T'eo is guilty of is being a hopeless romantic, and a bit of a boob"
360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 9:06am
According to ND players, he hooked up with other girls while he supposedly had this "gf".  I don't think it's a cover for his sexuality, I think it was a publicity move. The other players even had doubts apparently, but no one wanted to confront him.

Here's another deadspin article on it. 

jacquet View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jacquet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 9:24am
Banyard I think your 100% spot on with knocking ol' lancelot out of the spot light.

As the stud linebacker at a place like ND im sure he was slangin plenty of poon
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 9:27am
faceplant, thanks for that article.  It still is just reporting on guessing, but better asking his teammates what they think, rather than us trying to figure it out on our own.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 9:31am
I got one for you, who the f**k cares? Just because the kid can tackle someone well, the entire nation is supposed to care?

wow.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 9:33am
Originally posted by rzero

I got one for you, who the f**k cares? Just because the kid can tackle someone well, the entire nation is supposed to care?

wow.

he couldn't even takle well in the national championship game...lol
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 9:41am

wow.

he couldn't even takle well in the national championship game...lol

It's all a conspiracy for Obama to get tough on gun control, raise taxes and gas prices!!!!!! :O

They are both from Hawaii you know....*dramatic music*
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 2:36pm

Just heard a good one on twitter,

Te'o wasn't missing tackles in the BCS title game, he was hugging his girlfriend
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 3:47pm
^ i like that. i also heard a theory that he did it so that they could set up a fund for people to donate to. Like a charity and then they just steal the money from that. anyways this is all speculation but if they dont have any answers people are only left to speculate
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:15pm
I don't understand why this is major news. Two days of this garbage.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 7:29am

It's all a conspiracy for Obama to get tough on gun control, raise taxes and gas prices!!!!!! :O
They are both from Hawaii you know....*dramatic music*
Then, they gonna' take 'er jeerrrrrbs!!

But seriously... i'm starting to think he just did this to get some more heisman love.  what a nut case!  But how the heck can the talking heads drone on and on about this? 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 8:27am
what else would people talk about? politics doesnt matter until you have to check the box for the president you hate the least or at least the box for one party because you hate the other. no need to stay current on that when it just breaks down to that. 
mao mao View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mao mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 8:43am
The whole thing is so weird.  I'm a big ND fan, and Teo played awful in the National Championship game, I wonder if he knew this was going to come out...
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 8:59am
He did, and maybe that is because it killed his inspiration.  

OTL reported today that T'eo didn't know and detail out an argument for why/how he didn't make this up.  That could also be a lie, but there's a chance he was actually duped.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 9:05am
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

He did, and maybe that is because it killed his inspiration.  

OTL reported today that T'eo didn't know and detail out an argument for why/how he didn't make this up.  That could also be a lie, but there's a chance he was actually duped.

If he was duped then there's obviously a much bigger problem.  Acedemic fraud at ND, because no one that stupid should have even graduated high school.  Who was taking his tests for him?
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 9:21am
Maybe I am the only one defending him.  But he is young, and of a religious persuasion that values faith, trust, and committed relationships.  

I am sure I have been duped in one way or another in my time.  It just so happens that I don't get interviewed about everything in my life.
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 9:41am
yeah i think that there is a really good chance that he made a mistake and that is fine. just because you someone con's you doesnt mean you are an idiot. for example "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."-BUSH.

apparently there he knew about it DEC 6th and dec 8th and 14th or so he interview again and still said she was a real person and the same story. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 9:45am
Originally posted by 360faceplant

If he was duped then there's obviously a much bigger problem.  Acedemic fraud at ND, because no one that stupid should have even graduated high school.  Who was taking his tests for him?

there's a difference between book smart (good test takers) and street smart (having common sense). he's just naive and gullible if he fell for the hoax. but i think there's more to it than that...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 10:49am
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 11:09am

Originally posted by 360faceplant

there's a difference between book smart (good test takers) and street smart (having common sense). he's just naive and gullible if he fell for the hoax. but i think there's more to it than that...

I agree there is definitely a difference between street smarts and book smarts, it was more to make a point that there's no way he was duped.  Look at this from the original deadspin article...

Te'o and Tuiasosopo definitely know each other. In May 2012, Te'o was retweeting Tuiasosopo, who had mentioned going to Hawaii. Wrote Te'o, "sole"—"bro," in Samoan—"u gotta come down." In June, Te'o wished Tuiasosopo a happy birthday. How they know each other isn't clear. We spoke to a woman we'll call Frieda, who had suggested on Twitter back in December that there was something fishy about Lennay Kekua. She was Facebook friends with Titus Tuiasosopo, so we asked her if she knew anything about Ronaiah.

"Manti and Ronaiah are family," she said, "or at least family friends." She told us that the Tuiasosopos had been on-field guests (of Te'o or someone else, she didn't know) for the Nov. 24 Notre Dame-USC game in Los Angeles. USC was unable to confirm this, but a tweet from Tuiasosopo's since-deleted account suggests he and Te'o did see each other on that West Coast trip. "Great night with my bro @MTeo_5! #Heisman #574L," Ronaiah tweeted on Nov. 23, the night before the game.

AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 4:45pm
dudes an idiot for it bottom line... its not like he couldnt have any REAL girl on the notre dame campus anyways... it is foolish for anyone to believe an online stranger who hes never met... its even more foolish for a guy like him who has been put into the national spot light to let this happen... he could of had any real slice he wanted but he went for that fake stuff...
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 5:58pm
At least now everyone knows his name even non college football fans.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 8:33am
yep! hes a national celebrity but for the wrong reasons... 
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 8:55am
Originally posted by VermontRider

say what? for course it does. Your my girlfriend too Vermontrider =)))) . but seriously kinda wacked how this happen
for fantastic outdoor deals, checkout:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/KelvinChung
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 2:50pm
is still hilarious to me. just can't get enough of it. probably is because I still can't believe that someone will do this...ON TV. is like a reality show...wait this is real...so it is a reality show than right?
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 10:36pm
the dude should just shut up and fly under the radar until the draft... it will go away eventually...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>