X Games Snowboard slopestyle

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X Games Snowboard slopestyle
    Posted: Jan/25/2013 at 6:04am
Anyone see the qualifying round? Lots of big names missed the cut, Torstein, Sebtoots and Halgor didn't make the finals.  Also what do you guys think of the McMorris vs White that ESPN is trying to hype up.  I hope McMorris wins, he has an awesome style, and while white might have the tricks, he just doesn't look as stylish.
yaya34 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Evil Monkeys Not So Evil After All

Quote yaya34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2013 at 6:27am
I heard that in warm up Shawn White threw 5 triple corks in a row.

People need to ease up on this guy. He's the Lebron of snowboarding. You either love him or you hate him.

I personally love him and hope he takes double gold, Slopestyle and Pipe.
YaYa
ShredDatPow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ShredDatPow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2013 at 8:01am
I was disappointed that Torstien and Halldor didn't make the cut. Torstein is one of my favortie riders in Slopestyle. Also, I am excited who wins the McMorris vs. White showoff in the finals. I hope that McMorris stomps it again and send home White with silver.
markyjas View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote markyjas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2013 at 8:21am
I personally don't like the way things have gotten with XGames snowboarding in terms of the training and devotion to bigger crazier tricks.  I think a lot of the style aspect of snowboarding has been lost, now we're up to what triple cork 1260s, spin to win style.  The fact that it requires intense training using things like airbags or foam pits instead of natural features that you have to find takes away a lot of the fun and relatability to regular guys out riding the mountains.  I think the thing TRice was doing with RedBull the Supernatural contest is much more entertaining to me, if it's done right.
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2013 at 8:35am
Originally posted by markyjas

I personally don't like the way things have gotten with XGames snowboarding in terms of the training and devotion to bigger crazier tricks.  I think a lot of the style aspect of snowboarding has been lost, now we're up to what triple cork 1260s, spin to win style.  The fact that it requires intense training using things like airbags or foam pits instead of natural features that you have to find takes away a lot of the fun and relatability to regular guys out riding the mountains.  I think the thing TRice was doing with RedBull the Supernatural contest is much more entertaining to me, if it's done right.

This.  XGames are getting to complete BS, straight up boring.  Fuck, I didn't even realize that they were on already haha.  Sure it takes some major balls to bust out triples, but damn are they one ugly trick.  Just a matter of my honest opinion.  SW is gonna win, we all know it.  The XGames should just sponsor him already, and call the contest "SW Games and Everyone Else."  I personally love things like FWT and stuff where you can be completely creative with what you do, how you hit things, etc.  X Games seem like every run is "rail, double cork, double cork, rail, double, double, rail, rail".... BORING!  Fuck up every aspect of the sport I've enjoyed for so many years and completely blow off the guys that are killing it capturing what the sport is really about, SNOWBOARDING.  

It kinda sucks because now guys have to kill it by busting triple corks and shit on huge 100 foot booters, and the guys with just smooth style will never get noticed.  Its a shame for the filming aspect of the sport.  Growing up I remember all of us wanted to be like D Walsh.  I think Forum's "The Resistance" was the first film that just blew me away and made me start to fall in love with the sport.  Kids today are gonna aspire to be the next triple cork (or before you know it, quad cork) guru, and people are gonna get seriously hurt or worse.  

Whatever, go chill in the parks and save the good shit for the guys who care about the sport.  Not much I can do about it.
shredBATALEON: (4:06 PM) dude jb your being such a dutch bag man
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2013 at 8:49am
^^^ I can't wait to find out where these "local pros" have their "home mountains" so I can buy some $100 lift tickets!

-b

EDIT.  Oh wait, it's n* I guess. 

BTW, as JB mentioned FWT is about to go off in Cham tomorrow and I believe xdlr is going to have the first shot at this beauty

get bent
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2013 at 9:56am
it's a little dissapointing because they have to hold some back for the finals...
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2013 at 10:31am
Well, the X-games is getting more and more corporate. They only hype up corks because it's dubbed as the hardest trick in snowboarding. So that's the top of the snowboarding food chain trick. And you know how corporate is; take the top and make it the standard.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2013 at 5:02am
Yeah you could see the pressure on guys to land the triples in big air, that was the only way to the finals and Helgason paid the price big time when he went to big. It was good to see him talking and moving his arms as he got carted off but that was a nasty fall.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2013 at 10:40am
Congrats Mark McMorris! Man that guy's style is smooth! Now to watch the girls, rip it up chicks!
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 4:34am
Snowboardermag: Interview: Mark McMorris
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 7:10am
yeah that kid seems pretty humble and that is good. i think his dad had a lot of good things to say also. glad he wants to do supernatural again and im really interested to see how he improves in that. 

this is good. someone can embedd this please
http://whitelines.mpora.com/featured-article/shaun-white-vs-mark-mcmorris-what-shaun-white-is-really-thinking.html
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 8:02am
You know your competition is getting awful when you have to name part of it Real Snow.

Don't think anyone cared about the X Games this year...it's as stale as anything could possibly get.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 9:15am
Originally posted by bdanross

yeah that kid seems pretty humble and that is good. i think his dad had a lot of good things to say also. glad he wants to do supernatural again and im really interested to see how he improves in that. 

this is good. someone can embedd this please
http://whitelines.mpora.com/featured-article/shaun-white-vs-mark-mcmorris-what-shaun-white-is-really-thinking.html

Consider it embedded:

That's some funny shiz...

haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 2:05pm
I didn't know there's Xgame going on until I saw this thread... funny video btw. cracks me up!
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 3:30pm
"smooth like a bawse!....aww copy, paste, thanks for coming...."

Hashtag FAIL!!!

LMAO!!!! That link was BAWSE!!!!

Hey Shaun, remember that triple you did? I did it beetter, I did it beetter..."

I could do without the bad Cartman-esque voiceover for McLovin, but still farkin' funny!
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 4:11pm
Almost as funny as the bad lip reading videos lol classic stuff.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 7:20pm
Congrats to Jaime Anderson for winning gold! Way to rep Tahoe chick! Keep huggin those trees!
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by woodhomie1996

Snowboardermag: Interview: Mark McMorris

I love the way McMorris rides, he has such a fluid riding style he makes his tricks look easy and stylish.  I like his personality as well.  Hope he stays on top for a long time.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 3:44am
I love that someone is giving White a run for his money.
I also love that his dad went out of his way to support Mark's passion for the sport!
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 8:59am
some of my friends from texas came out to ski last weekend and they only person they knew was shaun white. I mean on the xgames that is the only person that they wanted to see or hear about. just kinda seems like white still has the popularity thing on lock. kinda like tiger and golf. 
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 9:24am
i relate it to more ignorance and a "mainstream" crowd vs. popularity.  like mainstream rap music, some of it is catchy, some of it is well marketed, but anybody that refuses to look past it as the "only" type of rap music is just ignorant and annoying really.  its like so many people love the song that says 'ass' or 'faded' the ENTIRE TIME.  or guys like lil wayne who mumble rhymes and such.  same thing with skrillex and dubstep, tiger and golf, lebron and basketball.  sure they all were able to find success at what they do, and are some of the best at what they do.  but there are plenty of others killing it out there that the mainstream crowd will never know, or care to know for that matter, due to their own ignorance and a lack of understanding of the importance of originality, variety, and variation.

btw, i live in texas at the moment haha

Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 11:09am
I saw White's run and it was sloppy and yet he won, hemm~
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 11:27am
i wouldn't be surprised if x games decided to sponsor him soon.  not like it really bothers me though.  i know i won't be competing in any x games anytime soon.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

I saw White's run and it was sloppy and yet he won, hemm~

Sloppy? You must be kidding.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 12:08pm
wasnt saying anything negative about texans. they are my friends after all. it is interesting that the guy who is the big name is usually the winner. maybe thats why they are the big name though. 
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by bdanross

wasnt saying anything negative about texans. they are my friends after all. it is interesting that the guy who is the big name is usually the winner. maybe thats why they are the big name though. 

wasn't implying you did.  just came up in my rambling haha.  big name comes down to who wins, who's marketed well, special trademarks, looks, etc...

hes won plenty, is sponsored by plenty of huge companies (burton, target, oakley) who market him up a shit ton.  also, burton and oakley are two of the most mainstream companies in the business in my opinion.  doesn't stop me from using their product, but they are mainstream.  also, he has that one trick that is 'his' in a way and had that giant red bush on the top of his head.  marketable dude, decent skills to say the least, and the right resources.  heard he's a dick, but that doesn't really surprise me.

what frustrates me most is that some still claim he is the 'face' of snowboarding, when he hasn't really pioneered anything, besides maybe pipe progression (which the rest of the group was quick to follow).  I think of pioneers, i see guys like craig and terje coming to mind, who pretty much made the sport what it is today.  then you have guys today like t.rice, the jackson brothers, landvik, blauvelt, and a bunch of other guys who are starting this "big mountain freestyle" movement, which seems to be going off right now.  

to be honest, i think nobody deserves the title mentioned above.  not really for anyone to give.  everyone excels in their own way, and each has there preferences, strengths, weaknesses, etc.  nobody is amazing at EVERYTHING.
 Post Reply Post Reply