Female snowboard

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
breeza View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote breeza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Female snowboard
    Posted: Jan/27/2013 at 11:23pm
So I'm looking to buy a board, I have never ridden before, only ever gone skiing twice, what would be a good board for me? I'm about 165cm tall and want to ride the mountain and park sometimes.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 1:14pm
Check out this link, it can help you with what direction you want to go in:
http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47186

There's enough lady riders (and even guys) here that can give you opinions of certain boards
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 7:27pm
I would do yourself a favor and buy a used board.  There are some seriously good deals on used womens gear.  Dont buy some super techy expensive board and dont buy something really cheap either.  Stick to the reputable brands: Capita, Burton, K2, Ride, Rome, etc.  You might want to look into rockered boards as well.  They are easier to ride in the sense that they are harder to catch an edge on and therefore you will probably fall less.  Some people love rocker and some people dont and whether you should learn on it or not is another debate as well but you should at least know it exists.
breeza View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote breeza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 8:06pm
so should I go for like an all mountain board?? are they rockered as you say?
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by breeza

Yes there are rockered all mountain boards.  Depending on the board there'll be different profiles and so check the site to see what profile the board has.  Personally if you're serious about learning and doing snowboarding, I would learn on a soft cambered board so that way you learn proper technique. 

Also the size snowboard you get will be more dependent on your weight. 

If you're not sure if you want to do this sport, I would highly look into buying a used board.  You can find some pretty good deals.

So first I would choose whether you want to go with camber, hybrid, or rocker profile and from there we can help you narrow down your choices.
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
breeza View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote breeza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 9:40pm
the Hybrid boards are mixes between rocker and camber styles right? so still easy to turn but also stable? I am wanting to seriously learn snowboarding as I'm going to Canada at the end of the year for the snow season
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 10:38pm
Before you buy ANYTHING... Rent a snowboard a couple times to see if you like it. 

would suck to find out that you like skiing more after you've sunk a few hundred dollars into a sport you don't enjoy. 

You can also try different sized boards to see what you prefer. 
breeza View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote breeza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 10:41pm
Okay thanks for the advice, I will do that then
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by hana24

Yes there are rockered all mountain boards.  Depending on the board there'll be different profiles and so check the site to see what profile the board has.  Personally if you're serious about learning and doing snowboarding, I would learn on a soft cambered board so that way you learn proper technique. 

Also the size snowboard you get will be more dependent on your weight. 

If you're not sure if you want to do this sport, I would highly look into buying a used board.  You can find some pretty good deals.

So first I would choose whether you want to go with camber, hybrid, or rocker profile and from there we can help you narrow down your choices.

this is good advice but still very debatable.  I wouldn't say "proper" technique but different techniques.  I really enjoy rocker and camber for different reasons and they require different riding techniques to get the most out of them.  The attrition rate in snowboarding is very high.  Most people who enter the sport exit the sport and this is even more true for females.  So to me the most important thing is to choose whatever set up that gets you having fun as quickly as possible so you can start enjoying the stoke.  If you are very athletic and can pick up sports quickly then camber may be a better choice because it is easier going from camber to rocker than rocker to camber in my opinion (but it is not a big deal).  If not I would go rocker or at least a hybrid that will lift the contact points making it easier to stay upright.  But that is just my opinion and there are good arguments for learning on camber. 
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 1:53pm
hybrid is a really god way to go, while they aren't perfect I feel like the C2 type (reverse camber between your legs camber tip and tail) is the best get's you some the pre-bent flex and catch free fun of reverse camber while still letting your contact points act like contact points are supposed to and get you some stability back. check out the thrive lady's board it pretty awesome just google thrive snowboards. 

breeza View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote breeza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 8:26pm
so all in all the best way for me to decide is just try some boards out and go with what I find easier for me at first
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 8:40pm
and get a lesson because itll make you much more likely to keep it up if you havent got a sore bum/sore wrists/sore shoulders from splatting all day and having to pick yourself up :) 
m00m
breeza View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote breeza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 8:43pm
hahaha yes I do plan on getting some lessons otherwise I'll probably kill myself
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 8:45pm
yup! take it slow at first. 
and have fun! When you have a good idea of what type/size board you'd like to get you can come back and we'll be here to offer up brands & models!
breeza View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote breeza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 8:47pm
Thanks you guys gave lots of different and good advice
Grocho View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Grocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 10:09am
I didn't buy my own board until two years after I started. I rented or tried out friends boards (who were willing to let me try!) first just so I knew what I liked better. I tried mostly guys boards out (I'm a chick lol) just because I don't have a whole lot of female friends who board... What I would suggest is getting your own pair of boots =] That way when you're trying boards or renting at least your feet are comfortable and you'll be more likely to stay out longer with good boots!
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 10:39am
Thrive has a women's board called the Prestige that would work for you:

LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 11:03pm
Im also one that converted to a snowboarder from a skier. It was a whole new world and I thought snowboarding was the way to go, it was so much fun!!!
Like some others, I would say itd be a good idea to try out the rentals from your local ski fields first. Theyre usually not too expensive.
And since youve already tried skiing, you might have some idea of how to move/slide on snow and make things work.. But a paid beginners lesson could make all the difference from what Ive heard, they definitely pay off at the end of the day!

Getting your own board and other gear would make things easy if you do decide that you want to get serious with the idea of boarding. It means you wont have to get used to new board type, weight, binding responce and the feel of the boots everytime you rent different gear.
It would be good to either
1. buy cheap gear and get better gear later when youve gained more skills
2. invest some good amount of money and length of time to do some research on board type, brand etc and buy a nice one that youd want to keep for at least 2-3 years to prevent double-spending.. you could go second hand board as long as its in decent condition, second hand bindings should be allg. But with boots, you really gotta be careful because if you get the wrong size/shape, sore feet could make you despise boarding. Id strongly recommend you to actually visit a shop or something to find out whats comfy and fits your feet shape the best.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 7:38am
My post was labeled as spam? Ouch The OP asked for recommendations for a women's snowboard, and I recommended a specific board that I thought would be a good fit for her. And I provided a link to the website where she can ger more information on the board. I don't understand why that would be considered as spam.

The Thrive Prestige is a hybrid board with reverse camber middle and camber tips that will allow OP to ride all over the mountain and visit the park sometimes, just like she described. I have the male version of the same board and love it. I'm sure OP will also enjoy riding the female version. By visiting the link I provided, the OP can find out where she can demo the board.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 8:10am
^ BAM!!!  Lightning gets hit with the hamma'!

Yeah, I don't quite get it either since you did make a specific board recommendation that falls in line with what some other people are saying (hybrid)... unless TS doesn't those other board manufacturers getting props here.  Or, you offended someone who wields the Spam-Ham which we both know is highly possible.
Winner#1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Winner#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 8:16am
The referral code maybe?
Winner # 1: Winner#1
(still waiting for the day)
breeza View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote breeza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 8:40am
I don't know why it got spammed, maybe can yet provide a link to that website again for me so I can have a look?? If it doesn't get spammed again haha
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 8:46am

I don't know why it got spammed, maybe can yet provide a link to that website again for me so I can have a look?? If it doesn't get spammed again haha

The link is still clickable even though the post been labeled as spam.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Winner#1

The referral code maybe?

Bingo.  That's exactly why it got spammed.

The link was to the Thrive Referral program.  Not to the snowboard itself.

*edited* I don't want to post links to other sites if that's considered disrespectful to TS.

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 9:11am
^ Lightning tried to slip one past the hall monitors, the dude never gives up...
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by chillwill

Originally posted by Winner#1

The referral code maybe?

Bingo.  That's exactly why it got spammed.

The link was to the Thrive Referral program.  Not to the snowboard itself.

Here is an actual link to the Prestige womens board, if you want to check it out.

http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/p/thrive-prestige-snowboard

ah so that's the reason why, I was wondering it the other day when I say it marked as spam but didn't fully look at the link cuz the post was greyed out.
lol guess they don't like the referral.
I've seen a lot of girls riding the Burton Lux seems to  be quite popular maybe take a look into it? Sorry I don't know the specs off hand.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 6:32pm
In truth, it might ALSO be the link to another site selling snowboards and taking business away from this one. Over the past year ive seen these types of post crop up a lot and genuinely im pretty close to flagging them. Its kinda disrespectful telling people that they should go to x-site when they have the same thing here. As i say, i havent started flagging on these kinds of things ("check out the amazing sale at **** dudes <hyperlink>") but only because im letting the higher ups decide this one. If they arent cool on it and ask us to remove the posts, ill be more than happy to help them. I know this is a forum and theres supposed to be an element of free flowing information relevant to the userbase, but its also a business tied very closely to a specific company selling gear. 

Just use your common sense on this one. 

In this case, im going to assume it was the referral link and not the company, but that doesnt really negate the general point (and i assume this one gets a pass because doug, mike and phil have a long history with this site - hell theres a thread devoted to the company). 

Do remember its a business as well and think about what links youre throwing up. There has to be some degree of respect for the people paying for this site and losing money every time they hook you up from the points program or the giveaways. 

m00m
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 9:00pm
I highly recommend borrowing or demoing boards as much as possible before you bite the bullet on a high priced investment.  Since you're a beginner, there's just no way you'll know what you'll really like until many days of actually riding and developing your skill.  If borrowing or demoing aren't options available to you, then buy the cheapest (best bang for buck) deal you can find with solid reviews (for example, the Sierra V-Spot).  This was what I chose for my gf as her first board and it has definitely brought her a long way in terms of development and enjoyment of the sport.  However, invest good money on quality boots!!!!!  Those are the most important and chances are you'll hang onto those for much longer than the rest of your hardware.  Just try and minimize your costs on bindings and board for now until after you figure out for yourself the advantages of certain tech (shape, flex, weight, and all the other bells and whistles).
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 12:30pm
I recommend getting a lesson, rental, lift tix package for your first time.
If you like the sport and decides to get your own gear, boots are the most important piece of equipment.
Besides boots, used gears will be cheaper.
For board, weight is more of a factor than your height.
Read the board, boots threads. Lots of helpful tips there on guiding you to the right board.
I always recommend beginners to start with a camber board.
Get a helmet.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 1:08pm
ippollite: i totally get your point about how talking about amazing sales at other sites can hurt the business here. unfortunately, the board i was recommending is not available here. common sense dictates that i would have linked to the same board on this site if it were available here.

on another note, if referral links are so faux pas, what do we do with all the members who have referral links in our sigs?

back on op's topic... i would agree with the general sentiment here that she should demo boards before putting big bucks into it. but, she's never ridden before, and would have a hard time telling the difference between the different boards.  i would also recommend getting a relatively cheap, or even a used, first board to get a hang of riding. after progressing on the cheap board, she'll figure out what type of riding she prefers and figure what kind of board she'll want to buy. but a hybrid board should be able to handle all that she needs.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 2:28pm
Situation right now is inconsistent. I'm not going to push the issue precisely because I don't want to shut down discussion by compelling staff to protect their own business interests and ask them to make a declaration on it. I feel this'd may discourage people to ask and answer about gear that trunow don't carry, and as a firm believer that you choose the board you want and not the one that's available, I don't want to see that at all. 

As for the second point on referral links... I'm afraid you'd have to take that one up with whoever flagged you.

Finally, alas common sense doesn't work in your favor there. Common sense dictates that the link is unnecessary in your post. You can recommend a board without providing a link to where they can purchase it. It does take business away from the site after all. :)
m00m
breeza View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote breeza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 7:21pm
So for the different types of hybrid boards is one with rocker in the middle and camber on the sides better??
 Post Reply Post Reply