Snowboard insert hole +bindings bolt size

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snowboard insert hole +bindings bolt size
    Posted: Feb/03/2013 at 11:18pm
Hi all Ive got a question for you, please help

Ive recently acquired a custom-made snowboard from a new custom snowboard company in Korea. They use quality materials and get their insert holes and most of the other materials for snowboard construction straight from the States.

The board looks fine from the outside. But when I tried to put bindings on it, the binding bolts wouldnt fit screw into the insert holes properly. Keep in mind, this is a brand new board and Im the first person to try screw stuff into the hole.
I didnt try use any force when turning the bolt. On other snowboards, they screw in without effort. however on this one the bolt just wouldnt screw into place no matter how many times you turned the goddamn thing.

Someone told me that the insert hole might be a different size to the bolt (which doesnt really make sense seeing that most insert holes and bolts come in one size.. and the companies made loads of boards and never had this problem before).
Anyways the binding bolt is 6mm. Ive been told that the insert hole size may be imperial (like 1/4 inch) so i tried getting a 1/4inch bolt... still doesnt fit.
When I looked closely at the insert holes, the top half of the inside seems to be missing thread.
I sent an email to the company and theyve checked their stock of insert holes, they all seem normal. They think that I may have damaged the hole while trying to screw the bolts in which is impossible as I only used my hand. Also all 20 holes look the same while ive only tried screwing a couple.

The two photos are the insert holes of the board with the problem
Ive drawn red lines where the thread is missing on the top half

this is a board with normal insert holes

Please help if anyones got any idea on whats going on here!
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2013 at 3:30am
Originally posted by LaNieve

and Im the first person to try screw stuff into the hole.

Sorry to break the news, but they ALL say that....

Now onto your question. From the pictures provided, it looks like those inserts are stripped. Although, if they were stripped I feel like they all wouldn't be evenly stripped. They also look like the threading starts WAY far down into the insert. Either way, the entire insert area looks sloppy...

With the binder off, how does the bolt seem to go in? As in, does it clear the very top of the insert hole? Or does it get all the way down to the threads then stop? Just from the looks of it, it looks like you are effed. Sorry mate.
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2013 at 7:49am
ask the company did they used metric bolts or other for your board. then work from there. the bolts look fine just start threaded far in than what we use to.
hmmm... Now What???   
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2013 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by batmanwest

Originally posted by LaNieve

and Im the first person to try screw stuff into the hole.

Sorry to break the news, but they ALL say that....

Now onto your question. From the pictures provided, it looks like those inserts are stripped. Although, if they were stripped I feel like they all wouldn't be evenly stripped. They also look like the threading starts WAY far down into the insert. Either way, the entire insert area looks sloppy...

With the binder off, how does the bolt seem to go in? As in, does it clear the very top of the insert hole? Or does it get all the way down to the threads then stop? Just from the looks of it, it looks like you are effed. Sorry mate.

Haha I bet they do

Ive been trying to screw the bolt in without the bindings most of the time, the bolts only clear the top 1/4 of the insert holes and doesnt screw into the threads at the bottom at all. At least thats what happened with 6mm bolts, with 1/4 inch bolts they sometimes screw in very sloppily or does the exact same thing as the 6mm bolts. Its as if the threads on the insert holes arent made properly for any kind of existing bolt size/type...
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2013 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by bataleon155

ask the company did they used metric bolts or other for your board. then work from there. the bolts look fine just start threaded far in than what we use to.

The insert holes are threaded in metric sizing. They didnt use any bolts to try out the insert holes, I was the first one to try..
If the remaining thread at the bottom half are normal, I would expect the bolts to screw into it at least a little.. but no luck at all Cry
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 7:02am
they look stripped dude, id call them up and see if you can send them those pictures because that definately does not look right they also look like they are sunk in to far they should be almost flush to the board. and if they say that its right, ask what kind of bolt and binding they recommend. 
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 9:41am
If you can't catch any threads at all, then your screws are not long enough. I suggest you contact the binding manufacturer to order hardware with the correct depth.

Do me a favour and take a photo of your binding mounting disc with the screws placed in them. I want to see the depth of the hardware.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 10:33am
So it seems that the threads are stripped or you have a different thread pattern from the bolts you are using.  Or a combination of both (stripped threads and wrong thread pattern of bolt).

It is possible that the people who made the board DID screw bolts into the holes.  And maybe they used a bolt that had a different (wrong) thread pattern.  But they used a power tool that forced and stripped the bolts into place.  Maybe an inexperienced employee? Though this seems unlikely.

What you need to do is go to a hardware store and get the correct size bolts, but try different thread patterns.  I'm not sure what you have locally, but there are stores that specialize in fasteners - nuts, bolts, screws etc.  They have almost every type of bolt available.  Check online or the yellow pages for what you have locally. Or just head to Home Depot to try and find a match.

You probably wont find the correct length of bolt you need at Home Depot,  but if you can find something with the correct thread pattern and diameter, you can go from there.
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by AJD13

they look stripped dude, id call them up and see if you can send them those pictures because that definately does not look right they also look like they are sunk in to far they should be almost flush to the board. and if they say that its right, ask what kind of bolt and binding they recommend. 

Thanks for your advice, Ive already hit them up and they say the threads look stripped too.. But since they couldnt find any faulty ones theyve currently got in stock, theyre suggesting that the damage happened after I picked it up.
But then I found some photos I took BEFORE I tried putting the bindings on and the threads look the same as it does now
Ill probably end up sending the board back to them all the way from NZ to Korea which will cost a bit but hey, if they decide it some fault from before I got it Ill get a whole new one made..
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Lux

If you can't catch any threads at all, then your screws are not long enough. I suggest you contact the binding manufacturer to order hardware with the correct depth.

Do me a favour and take a photo of your binding mounting disc with the screws placed in them. I want to see the depth of the hardware.

Even from a glance at the depth of the insert hole and the bolts the things should be able to easily catch the thread :/
Im using Burton Lexa with universal discs, and I went to quite a few rental shops when I was at this ski resort back in Korea and theyve all tried all the types of bolts they had and none fit.. Confused

Ill try put a photo of the binding disc and the bolts up soon though cheers!
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by chillwill

So it seems that the threads are stripped or you have a different thread pattern from the bolts you are using.  Or a combination of both (stripped threads and wrong thread pattern of bolt).

It is possible that the people who made the board DID screw bolts into the holes.  And maybe they used a bolt that had a different (wrong) thread pattern.  But they used a power tool that forced and stripped the bolts into place.  Maybe an inexperienced employee? Though this seems unlikely.

What you need to do is go to a hardware store and get the correct size bolts, but try different thread patterns.  I'm not sure what you have locally, but there are stores that specialize in fasteners - nuts, bolts, screws etc.  They have almost every type of bolt available.  Check online or the yellow pages for what you have locally. Or just head to Home Depot to try and find a match.

You probably wont find the correct length of bolt you need at Home Depot,  but if you can find something with the correct thread pattern and diameter, you can go from there.

Cheers yeah it does seem like both stripped threads and wrong thread pattern Confused
This is driving me crazy hahah I just dont get why these bolts dont fit, the insert holes are supposed to be made exactly the same as any other insert holes in the most common snowboard types and for the most common bolt thread type which is 6mm from my understanding

It does look like the power tool got in too deep when they were drilling holes into the topsheet to expose the inserts but inexperience is very unlikely as the same guy made loads of other awesome boards and from what Ive read his boards are usually almost perfectly made, not even the tiniest gap between the base and the steel edge

Ill try find out about another hardware place which will have more imperial bolts as well, think itll be a little hard though since im in NZ and I hear theres only one place that might have a decent range of bolts...
 Post Reply Post Reply