Red Bull UltraNatural 2013

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <123

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
2zz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Bull UltraNatural 2013
    Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 9:38am
It felt so short and the lack of runs and tricks were disappointing.
So much other stuff where they could of just fill it with more runs. Hate how they didn't even show a few riders runs.
Each rider should get 3 runs instead of 2.
The flat light condition didn't help neither.
It was still enterainting but wish it'll be better next season with more riders and runs.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 10:15am
I thought the same thing. Two runs isn't enough for the riders to really get in a good run. There definitely should have been a third run.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 10:45am
so they make us wait 6 weeks to come out with this edit and this is the best they can do? 16 riders invited,the editors skipped about 5 other riders 1st runs and wtf no Horgmo's run not even one clip of him? the two Todds got to go,gopro angle from a contour..yeah okay buddy & his signature word "tomahawk" Lmao redbull please replace them with kevin pearce or scotty lago they're such better commentators.the riders killed it this season. This event is only once a year why can't NBC extend the event to 2 hours and remove the unnecessary clips during airing, then maybe we can see all the rider's footage..definitely a let down. is it me or does it look like Travis Rice was sand bagging his runs, he knew the course,plan the event but fail short on the landings? looks like he purposely threw 1st place out the door.
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 12:34pm
Watched the whole thing and it was either a stupid edit, or they were just lacking of good footage. I think it was the first. Too much talking not enough riding. They should just showed all the runs. They didn't even show the top 8 runs.
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 6:23pm
omg l did the most mentally challenged thing, didn't realize l was watching super natural, not ultra natural. thought it was very fimilar. But l was like wtf, how is travis winning if he is in near last?
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/JennyLi
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by rye

omg l did the most mentally challenged thing, didn't realize l was watching super natural, not ultra natural. thought it was very fimilar. But l was like wtf, how is travis winning if he is in near last?

lol that is too jokes, can't believe you didn't realize
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 6:30pm
i always thought that it was almost cheating that travis rice gets to compete since he knows and has a part in every aspect of designing the course.
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 3:40am
I thought this event was exactly what it was meant to be.  Too bad the light conditions went flat, I can only imagine what that did to reading their lines.

I think it becomes almost super human what many of these athletes are able to achieve.  But we also don't see how many times they have to dig themselves back up.  Determination that most of us don't have.  While it's validity as a competition can be somewhat subjective, I believe the difficulty of the terrain and putting together an entire run show just how impressive some of these athletes are.  

and to the San Diego rider...impressive socal representation.

x_X
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 4:13am
Yea bryan fox was awesome. The todds noted how much socal lacks at big mountain riding so it was nice to see san diego represented. Taking 3rd was an added plus. Was he snowboardmag's wild card pick or was it someone else?
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 4:57am
Pretty sure he was snowboardermag's pick

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 5:22am
Originally posted by 2zz

It felt so short and the lack of runs and tricks were disappointing.
So much other stuff where they could of just fill it with more runs. Hate how they didn't even show a few riders runs.
Each rider should get 3 runs instead of 2.
The flat light condition didn't help neither.
It was still enterainting but wish it'll be better next season with more riders and runs.
yea I was also disappointed after that long of a wait. They def cut out too much. I was hoping to see more runs and riders. The course did look more rideable compared to last years. But maybe they'll run it longer next time.
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 7:26am
They invite the top 8 back, Travis not finishing in the top 8 means he will be in the wild cards.. Isn't he the one who pics who is going to be invited?  Well I guess we know the 9 people coming back.. I would have loved to see Torsteins run, I know he did poorly but it would still be nice to see.  I would have also like to see McLovin's 6th place run, instead they showed his bad run. 
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 1:13pm
I agree, too short and too much non-riding. But with the conditions as they were maybe they weren't able to get a whole lot of good action. Plus nobody wants to see pro snowboarders fall all over the hill. Well ok maybe that is fun but even that might get boring after a while.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 11:46am
I think I'm with a lot of people when I say I was disappointed with the coverage. 32 runs were taken and what? 5 were shown, that's like a run every 8 minutes and a lot of fluff in between. The riders should have got 3 runs each and every run should have been shown (good or bad). All that prep work to make that sick course and we get to see squat. Great comp, shit coverage. And screw my local nbc for not showing it (or any of the red bull signature series stuff like crashed ice).
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 5:51am
Originally posted by robnezz23

I agree, too short and too much non-riding. But with the conditions as they were maybe they weren't able to get a whole lot of good action. Plus nobody wants to see pro snowboarders fall all over the hill. Well ok maybe that is fun but even that might get boring after a while.

I would rather see snowboarders fall all over the place than see Sal Masakela's face.  btw they didn't show 5th place -8th place run, yet they showed travis twice and Mcmo when he fell all over the place.. yet not his 6th place run.

CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 6:01am
I don't mind Sal Masakela.  He's a good guy and I saw him shred some waves at a ASP surf competition once.  But I'm not sure how good he is at other sports.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 6:29am
Meh I don't mind Sal at all. And I'm sure his riding level is decent if he's a surfer. But Gigi is a beast and just owning this comp.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 1:51pm
I'd still think Nicolas Muller should of have taken first place , dude is so creative with his runs and to take the podium a 2nd season is impressive itself & of course Gigi hold the same stats too.Next year I would like to see more all of the riders run, not stupid commercials , no little clips on what Sal Masakela did last night,no tina dixon either just strictly related to what event is 16 riders slaying Scary Cherry even with the bad and good runs.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 7:26pm
^^^...and no wasted airtime talking about Craig Kelley. Yes he's a legend and a back-country pioneer, but really had nothing to do with UltraNatural (other than the Baldface connection).

2zz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 9:18pm
If they are going to have so many segments other than the main event, they should of have a per-show of some sort.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by mommehK

^^^...and no wasted airtime talking about Craig Kelley. Yes he's a legend and a back-country pioneer, but really had nothing to do with UltraNatural (other than the Baldface connection).

it has everything to do with ultranatural.  craig was the original pioneer of breaking away from standardized nonsense and just riding natural terrain, which is exactly what these events are about.  he more or less, directly or indirectly, pioneered the way for a contest like super/ultranatural to take place.  and yeah he was one of the guys who was part of baldface's initial existence, so even more reason why he has everything to do with it.

plus, craig kelly footage is always welcomed.  always.  besides, it wasn't that long.  I could watch him make powder turns all day.
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 3:45am
Originally posted by spenser

it has everything to do with ultranatural.  craig was the original pioneer of breaking away from standardized nonsense and just riding natural terrain, which is exactly what these events are about.  he more or less, directly or indirectly, pioneered the way for a contest like super/ultranatural to take place.  and yeah he was one of the guys who was part of baldface's initial existence, so even more reason why he has everything to do with it.

plus, craig kelly footage is always welcomed.  always.  besides, it wasn't that long.  I could watch him make powder turns all day.

^This

I definitely think there could have been more actual event coverage, but the Craig Kelly footage is not what I would have cut. They easily could have made the show 2 hours to provide adequate coverage (though not sure the network would buy in to that). Since they didn't, though, I'm really hoping that the raw event footage gets put online somewhere. I'd love to see all the runs, not just the few that were in the broadcast. 
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 5:59am
Originally posted by fostpaint

Originally posted by spenser

^This

I definitely think there could have been more actual event coverage, but the Craig Kelly footage is not what I would have cut. They easily could have made the show 2 hours to provide adequate coverage (though not sure the network would buy in to that). Since they didn't, though, I'm really hoping that the raw event footage gets put online somewhere. I'd love to see all the runs, not just the few that were in the broadcast. 

I think because it was shown on network TV they had to make some cuts to fit the 1 hour time they had with NBC.  But I also think they should have an unedited version somewhere maybe youtube your on Redbull's site. 
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 6:40am

You ma'am are clearly shtooking clueless.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 7:54pm
Not clueless thankyouverymuch. I'm not knocking Craig Kelley at all,and enjoy seeing footage of him...I just gave that as an example of the "side-fluff" in what was an already short time-frame given to the actual event.

If you're going to take an event like UltraNatural, cram it into an hour TV slot, which is reduced to 40 minutes after commercials, which is reduced further down to about 20 minutes of actual competition riding & 20 minutes of all the side fillers...boils down to math basics here.

If they were to turn this event into an actual DVD release, then yes, all the side-bar filler they used in the TV slot would be welcome and make more sense.
C4 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
aka cnr913

Quote C4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 4:06pm
Flicking through channels, I came across the Red Bull Crashed Ice and it's 2 hours long. WHHYY??? Why stiff the Ultra Natural with an hour long time slot and play 2 hours of ice skate-cross?

That's all for now.

I break balls.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 6:16pm
bwayne413 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bwayne413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 6:26pm

ALL 16 RUNS HAVE BEEN POSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/snowboarding/video-series/1331587989973/red-bull-ultra-natural-runs

Was watching the runs earlier! so much better than the broadcast!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123