Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nmarvik View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
The best day ever

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nmarvik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Snowboard Jackets. Rider inspired, USA made
    Posted: Mar/05/2013 at 11:47am
Hi all, I haven't been on the TruSnow forums for a while now, just created a new account.. I wanted to share with you guys a company I recently started.

NWT3K Outerwear - Custom Waterproof Jackets Based out of Seattle, WA we allow you to customize a waterproof jacket via a simplistic online product builder. Rider inspired design and made in the USA.

I'm curious to see the response from snowboard community here so leave you thoughts, input or stoke on this thread. I'll also be picking contributors to this thread at random to receive discounts on product.

Cheers!

-Nick-
NWT3K.com
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2013 at 3:28pm
I think there could be a problem with advertising here, as your products could compete with the products being sold on trusnow...
The idea of customising seems alright though, as long as the quality is as good as the major brands.
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
HUMP ALL SNOW!!

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2013 at 7:03pm
Do you offer special customisations to orders? I need a zippered powder skirt to integrate with my Volcom snow pants, if it's possible. Being that the jackets are made-to-order, custom embroidered name on the back, shoulder, or front would also be a super cool option! I'd also like to see what's inside the jacket too: pockets, heat-reflective panels, soft fabric mouth/collar, lift pass loops, wrist gaits, etc. I'm really liking the pink jacket that I put together in the customiser! :D

bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2013 at 7:30pm
the only good thing about your jacket is the long velcro on the wrist. beside that, nothing worth the asking price. the side zippers are way too short (don't see how effective it is to started way below the armpit), doesn't seems like it have any internal pockets nor powder skirt. also no Lycra Wrist Gaskets. only critical seams taped which is the biggest let down from the price. last but not least, too little customization for the jacket (really don't care about the colors choice, but want to see more like the placement of the main zipper (like started in the middle or on the side), how high the collar could go, choice of using powder skirt or the pull string, heck, i will even pay if you offer fully taped seams or welded seams).
hmmm... Now What???   
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 5:12am
^excellent points.  definitely need a powder skirt and bigger pit zips.

Good looking cut and styling, but the fabric/color choices are lame.  Flat colors are boring and I, personally, really dislike color blocks (90s).  Black prints (or any dark print) on lighter fabrics help camouflage dirt and grease...plus they look interesting.

I do love the customization aspect.  if you could expand the customization choices, I would definitely be interested, even at those prices
sideways99 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 5:24am
^ Agree on the pit zips and powder skirt.

Choosing the colors, pockets, pocket orientation is nice but IMO the cost of the jacket will prohibit most prospective buyers.  The jacket I configured cost $339, too steep for me.
djmaya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote djmaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 6:23am
There is a lot of un answered questions about your jacket.

Does it have a powder skirt? If so is it removable?
Are the optional pitzips meshed?
What is going on on the inside of the jacket? Any internal storage?
It says it is partly insulated. Where is the insulation and how much?
does it have any snap to pans tec?
not fully taped seams?
Does it have hand gaiters?

Other comments
I don't mind the price, every time one orders something that it is customized it will cost much more than a mass produced jacket
It would be nice to be able to "see" the layout of the outer pockets when selecting your zippers.
Your warranty is way too short. should be a year minimum.
I FRACKING LOVE YOUR SLEEVE LENGTH!
2012 Vapor 162W - 2010 CO2 EST - 2010 Hail
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 6:49am
You people who complain about the price are insane. $319 for a custom waterproof jacket made in the USA is an awesome deal. ($319 was with the options I went for.) This line looks like it is in the same market as Burton AK or Volcom TDS, and seems on point with the pricing.
Meshed pit zips, m'eh. Can live without them.
Powder skirts, m'eh. Does anyone actually use those things?
No internal pocket. Who cares. Same with wrist gaiters. Just have sleeves that stay put.
The person who wants the zip in compatibility isn't going to see that happen because Volcom has a patent on it.
Also, Velcro cuffs are the worst in powder. They stop working half way through the day.
I would be interested in knowing where the insulation is.
Good luck.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 6:52am
Oh, you need a better warranty. Also, I wouldn't really consider 15,000mm waterproof.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 7:05am
Originally posted by VermontRider

...Meshed pit zips, m'eh. Can live without them.
Powder skirts, m'eh. Does anyone actually use those things?
No internal pocket. Who cares. Same with wrist gaiters. Just have sleeves that stay put.
...Also, Velcro cuffs are the worst in powder. They stop working half way through the day.
I would be interested in knowing where the insulation is....
agree with the mesh pit zips, but yeah, I really like my powder skirt.  The jacket I had before didn't have one and I always got snow up in there (was an east coast brand, so maybe that's why it didn't have oneWink)

Wrist gaiters are also nice for keeping out powder...but not nearly as necessary as a powder skirt

The velcro cuffs on my present jacket stay together all day in powder (guess it just depends on the quality and/or amount of velcro)

I don't need built-in insulation.  layers work fine...at least, out west
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 7:20am
Yeah, I am all about the layering, but I am just curious where the insulation in. I actually prefer no insulation on my jackets.

Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 9:25am
the site stated that it's a shell, with limited insulated (which from the fabric itself, not the insulated material). never said it's an insulated jacket, so you can stop looking where they are.

it merely a softshell but with slightly better fabric (with all the features of a jacket that are missing, yes, it's just a softshell at best).

yes, it's customizable, but who cares about just the color choice or random placement of the zippers. I want to see more functional options to choose from, not to create your jacket from merely a few templates and called it customized jacket.
hmmm... Now What???   
Nmarvik View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
The best day ever

Quote Nmarvik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 10:58am
Originally posted by bataleon155

the only good thing about your jacket is the long velcro on the wrist. beside that, nothing worth the asking price. the side zippers are way too short (don't see how effective it is to started way below the armpit), doesn't seems like it have any internal pockets nor powder skirt. also no Lycra Wrist Gaskets. only critical seams taped which is the biggest let down from the price. last but not least, too little customization for the jacket (really don't care about the colors choice, but want to see more like the placement of the main zipper (like started in the middle or on the side), how high the collar could go, choice of using powder skirt or the pull string, heck, i will even pay if you offer fully taped seams or welded seams).

Thanks for the insight! This is great to hear.

To better answer some of your questions:

- The side zips are 12 inches in length, how much longer would you want them? We tested this multiple times and 12 inches of open jacket gives plenty of room for ventilation. This aspect of the jacket was mostly tested touring and hiking.

- At this time we do not offer the option to add wrist gators or a powder skirt. This is our first year in production and we look to add these features to our jackets next year. We did design our jackets to be longer fitting then a traditional ski/snowboard jacket, combined with a draw cord really helps to keep snow out.

- The only seams that are not taped at this time are the pocket seams. All of the main seams (shoulders, arms, neck, hood) are fully taped.

Regarding the price - let me know if you can find a company that lets you choose your colors and features on a 15K 3-layer WPB jacket for under $300 - Our research shows there is none.

Thanks again for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated! If you have any other feedback or comments feel free to post them up.

Cheers!
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 11:41am
all of my jackets (20 and counting) that i own included my nomis one piece (which is the longest, that is 22in in length) has at least 16in side zippers and placed it at least 1/4 in length of the sleeves pass armpit, instead of on the side of the jacket literally.

draw cord is only good if we don't fall, if we fall or even have a "yard sale" on the slope, it just won't do anything.

for 320 (included the side zipper) with just a basic softshell feature, i will go for different brand to have at least 15kmm/30kgm, with powder skirt, better armpit zippers placement, fully taped seams instead of critical taped, lycra wrist gaiter and internal pocket with at least 20 dollars left in my pocket. and it have lifetime warranty. which is a bonus.

like i said before, color really not the major reason of picking a jacket. I rock my green and purple one piece proudly.
hmmm... Now What???   
Nmarvik View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
The best day ever

Quote Nmarvik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 11:55am
Good to know - really appreciate your insight and feedback.

Just so it's clear - we do not offer or provide any type of soft-shell material.

We use a 15,000mm 3-layer waterproof breathable hardshell fabric with a ePTFE membrane - this is not a soft shell.
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 12:14pm
softshell "FEATURE", actually i shouldn't say that's softshell "feature" because even 686 and sessions softshell offered remove-able powderskirt, oh, even neff offered one (and they all 10kmm).

the jacket yours offered is way to simple and basic, that's pretty much just a pullover with a full main zipper (with slightly better fabric compare to other companies). many softshells out there have provide more for less money.
hmmm... Now What???   
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
HUMP ALL SNOW!!

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 6:23pm
If I had not already bought a jacket, I'd have bought one of these (albeit with lots of custom work, by request). Does NWT3K do extensive customisation of orders by request? I'm looking mostly at skirt and stitching options. I currently use a Volcom jacket with tonnes of features; the zippered powder skirt and craftsmanship were the dealbreakers when I bought it, so I definitely recommend a custom skirt be offered in the future.
Originally posted by VermontRider

You people who complain about the price are insane. $319 for a custom waterproof jacket made in the USA is an awesome deal.
I can surely echo this remark. This is good value, given the tailored nature of the product. After doing some research, I've found instances of extensively customised jacket configurations at the request of the buyers, so it's surely not strictly limited to the options on-screen.
Originally posted by bataleon155

the jacket yours offered is way to simple and basic, that's pretty much just a pullover with a full main zipper (with slightly better fabric compare to other companies). many softshells out there have provide more for less money.
Listen mate, if you can go out there and raise money to start a company that hand-makes, in USA, customisable, sports-specific winter outerwear while still in school, then maybe you've earned the right to be critical of their business practice. Until then, you can shut the f*** up if you're not offering sincerely constructive or insightful feedback. Were you expecting an apology from NWT3K for not creating a jacket that could give you a blowjob on the slopes for dirt cheap? It doesn't work that way. Go to a local dress suit tailor and lecture him on how you can get way better deals on tuxedos through eBay and tell me how that goes. That's how stupid your remarks sound right now. Get real, buddy.
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 7:26pm
^butt hurt much? i never compared them with the ebay stuff, the one i mentioned were full retail price from homeschool. if i compared them to ebay or even other discount sites, it will be way cheaper.

i really don't see why spending 300ish on something, the only thing i can pick is the color consider dirt cheap. i don't mind paying top dollar for custom suit for my local tailor because everything will be what i want and how i want. in this case, it does not.

you should look at what they offered closely, only color of your liking, few different zippers placement, you really call it customizable? really? don't get all hype up because you can get some weird color scheme going. as i mentioned before, i want to see more functional, thorough detail jacket than just this.

i won't say shit if i'm hate on this, in fact, i won't even replied at all if that is the case, but the thing is, i like the idea, but the outcome is just a huge disappointment.
hmmm... Now What???   
djmaya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote djmaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2013 at 7:41am
I agree with bataleon155 on his technical comments but not on his tone. and his price expectation. homeschool makes its stuff in tailand and it is not custom.

I am looking forward to seeing next year's version of this jacket with more technical options instead of just cosmetic.

Things I think would be interesting options to see would be:
Hood / removable hood / no hood
powder skirt with snap hook pants attachment
Lycra wrist gaiters
Choices on fabric rating (having goretex even at a premium price would be awesome)
Recco
Built in hydration bladder pocket is something i have not seen on any jacket and I wish someone had.

and please keep the super long sleeves :D
2012 Vapor 162W - 2010 CO2 EST - 2010 Hail
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2013 at 8:19am
^bonfire actually had a jacket that have a built-in bladder (on the back of course) for the jacket few years back if i remember it right. 
hmmm... Now What???   
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2013 at 1:35pm
first of all congrats on starting this...pretty awesome...

i have only a few questions/comments that haven't already been addressed...

the front pockets seem a little too short or too far up, i'm not sure which it is but it would be nice if the placement was movable or the length was changeable...it might be my ocd but it bothers me for some reason...

i think you should put up more pics of the custom jacket we are creating...i.e...side view, rear view, and most definitely the inside view of the coat...

the whole sizing thing is also an issue for me. since you're a new company and your jackets are not carried anywhere, i would have no idea how your jacket will fit. i know you have sizing charts but those aren't something i really listen to because they just aren't super accurate, and since i'm one of those riders who rides both larges and mediums from different companies i wouldn't know which one to get. maybe you can have some demo jackets you can ship out for people to try on and then get returned. i don't know, it's just an idea...

anyway, those are just some of the things that i was thinking about that hasn't already been mentioned. good luck and i will be checking in the future to grab me one of those bad boys...

p.s. stockpile on the color black!
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 9:00am
A 15/15 jacket in the 300-350 price range is a good deal, assuming the quality is there. Most people will bitch about the cost of a jacket, but will then buy multiple boards and bindings, goggles, and accessories, and won't think twice of the prices they pay.

The jacket may be simple, but simpler is better. Shells are the way to go, especially if you enjoy hiking or touring at all. Layering is where it is at.

No wrist gators, good. They restrict air flow for venting.

No powder skirt, not a big deal at all. Most pow skirts are garbage anyways.

Pit zips should not have mesh. The purpose of the pit zips is to dump heat. When i open those and want to dump heat i want it done fast. Mesh restricts that flow.

I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 9:45am
powder skirts not only keep out snow, but also keep your pants up without a belt...only problem is, to insure compatibility, you have to either buy the same brand pants as jacket or research to make sure the attachment systems line up (they usually are the standard belt loop type)

anyway, I might still be enticed by your customization if your fabrics weren't so flat (at least you aren't going the bland "beige and sage" route many others are)
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2013 at 9:49pm
What?!?! No women's sizes?....lame =/
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2013 at 5:53pm
I think the colours are awesome and the customisation website is really user-friendly
But I agree with some of the others, snow skirt should be an option and hand gaiters should come included in the base price.
Oh and you should do womens fitted sizes as well.. I think girls would care more about colour and design, and the current range of girls jacket designs from the major companies arent exactly amazing...
I also just watched the video, the jacket outshell looks a bit thinner than the usual ski jackets, personally i would prefer thicker outshell fabrics because they feel warmer and more durable
 Post Reply Post Reply