End of Your Season Yet-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: End of Your Season Yet-
    Posted: Mar/29/2013 at 3:30pm
^2zz

He is talking 6-12 inches this weekend through Monday and possibility of snow in the feet the following weekend...we shall see

2zz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2013 at 7:04pm
I really sure hope so. Thx for the clarification.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2013 at 12:58pm
My season has officially ended,unless by some miracle it starts to snow again in Tahoe I'm bounded to go up if the weather persist til late May but as for us socal riders time to throw in the towel.
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2013 at 3:32pm
Just got back from Belleayre, awesome carving in the morning, somewhat sloppy in the afternoon but still plenty of coverage, amazing for the end of March. The mountain should be open two more weekends, not sure if I'm going to go. When it gets to the mashed potatoes/slurpee stage after lunch it feels like I'm desperately clinging to a season that's basically over. Time to switch back to kiteboarding.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 6:34am
stunned to find out today is my local resorts last day of operation.  No warning - the website just revealed this today.  They usually give at least a weeks notice. 

So now I'm left without getting my pass/photo for next year (it's already paid for - just need to go up there and get it)...which means I have to do it first thing next season.  Last thing I want to do, on the first day of the season, is wait in line to get my photos taken for my pass Dead
dpboarder98 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 6:48am
Last day of the season for Cataloochee in NC was yesterday. Longest season for Cataloochee in history at 149 days long. Glad I got to go up yesterday, it was the best day of the season for me. Sad for it to be over though
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 7:36am
mt high closed yesterday. Bear mtn is rumored to close on Apr 14th. The end of my season is here. though the conditions hardly warrant going out. the coverage is really bad with exposed dirt in the middle of runs.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 8:52am
Originally posted by sdwc96

mt high closed yesterday. Bear mtn is rumored to close on Apr 14th. The end of my season is here. though the conditions hardly warrant going out. the coverage is really bad with exposed dirt in the middle of runs.

Dude I'm so sad Mt. High closed! I was looking at pictures and it looked TERRIBLE. They are saying that they might open if conditions get better but I dont know...they ususally close for the season after Easter in the previous years.

I'm coming back home for Spring break...I was hoping to use my season pass one last time this seasonDisapprove
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
anna.chan18 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote anna.chan18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 8:58am
yeah they usually close mid april but its been unseasonably warm lately
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote anna.chan18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 9:02am
apparently tahoe got another 5 inches, maybe socal will get a lil something
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 9:10am
Originally posted by anna.chan18

That sounds awesome, but I think its gonna take a LOT more than 5 inches to save this Cry...

youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote anna.chan18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 9:18am
holy shit... thats REALLY dry for late march
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 9:28am
Originally posted by mluu003

That sounds awesome, but I think its gonna take a LOT more than 5 inches to save this Cry...

yea itll take more than a few inches to save that. Bear mtn is offering a 50% discount to those with passes from other resorts. but after riding on it last weekend there was so much gunk and grease on my board. But honestly ill take whatever snowfall they give. you just have to remember that its really thin coverage everywhere. /pray for snow.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 1:23pm
just an fyi for all you Mammoth ppl, the last day to renew your MVP membership at a discounted price is today, 3/31/13. I hope I board some more before this season ends :-(
kikko View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kikko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 2:09pm
Killington is still going strong... Snow in the forecast this week too!
Fear does not stop death, it stops life...
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 7:48pm

At least that's better than just riding the bunny slope at Snow Valley but then again Snow Valley had better coverage than this.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 9:17am
Well, next Sunday is the "official" last day of the season for my local mountain.  It's been a decent year, off to a rearlly rough start with no snow until January, then a concussion sidelined me for 3 weeks, then I was sick for 2 more.  I'll get what, 14 days in?  Not terrible.  It takes 8 or 9 to pay for my pass, so that's nice.

Yesterday was like riding on wet popcorn.  it was super hard (the 6 inches of pow from Friday night had already hardened up) in the AM, then got nice and slushy later.  it was really fast, but I didn't want to go very many crazy places with that little coverage.

I think next Sunday, we'll get a big group together and just party all day.  maybe some wet laps at the end or something.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 10:12pm

that is so depressing. I think it's funny they still groom that. I was hoping to be able to take my nephew to bear next sunday, I guess it will not happen. 
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 12:21am
Last day for sure for me yesterday. Left nozawa after a few free bonus days and now in transit on my way to teach in er, thailand. And by transit i mean staying at my mates house in tokyo awaiting my passport being renewed (realised about three weeks ago that you need 6 months MINIMUM left on it to enter the country - i had 5 so needed to renew it at the last minute which is a massive pain in teh ass). Hopefuly the passport will arrive in the next couple of days if ive timed it well, which means i might be in thailand by the end of this week :) 

m00m
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 6:00am
Kirkwood was actually quite nice last weekend.  Soft corn pow.  I got some good turns and some sprays, dropped a few cornices, and bombed some chutes.  Overall great spring day.  I'm heading up at least one more time (this weekend).  I hear of a storm.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 5:13pm
Well, Keystone in Colorado still has tons of snow...but they are closing this Sunday on the 7th. I'm sad bc I won't be able to go until next weekend. Guess this past weekend was my last weekend there Cry I hate not being able to say bye or call last run.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
truflow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote truflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2013 at 6:40pm
Copper got an unexpected couple inches today.  we should close the season pretty strong on the 14th with a decent amount of snow still left.  
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 5:45am
Can anyone tell me why the resorts set a closing date even though conditions are still good?
Here's a picture from today...and they are gonna close 4 days from now.

youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
MustacheGeorge View Drop Down
TRU Staff.
TRU Staff.

Quote MustacheGeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 6:18am
The Resorts are on leased Federal State Park Land and they need to close due to the migration patterns of the wildlife.
MustacheGeorge View Drop Down
TRU Staff.
TRU Staff.

Quote MustacheGeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 6:20am
NEVER CALL LAST RUN! That is BAAAAAAAD Vodoo man. NEVER CALL LAST RUN!NEVER CALL LAST RUN!
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 7:34am

Can anyone tell me why the resorts set a closing date even though conditions are still good?

Often times it's due to insurance and leases with the forrest service.  Certain contracts only run certain times.  Real bummer, but the facts are facts.  Ouch
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 8:49am

Where is this?  

I'm already starting to wash and put my gears away for the season.  Cry
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 9:03am
Originally posted by JDiggidy

Often times it's due to insurance and leases with the forrest service.  Certain contracts only run certain times.  Real bummer, but the facts are facts.  Ouch
I'm pretty sure it comes down to the employment contracts for the season. Agreed on the bummer factor.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 9:13am
Originally posted by julius77

I'm pretty sure it comes down to the employment contracts for the season. Agreed on the bummer factor.

I've wondered then why, if you habitually get good snow in early April (like my mountain does), don't you push back opening day a week, and keep the mountain open a week later?  Is it because we all have "the itch" so bad in the beginning to go, we'll ride crappy conditions just to be out there?  Then if the snow is bad in the spring we're all "meh" about it?
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 1:02pm
I don't know how profitable it is to stay open those last days, a high percentage of riders must be the hardcore season pass holders which doesn't result in any extra revenue for the mountain. Looks like we have two weekends left with good coverage, even a little fresh snow in the Catskills this week. If I was closer I would definitely go, but after riding every weekend since Thanksgiving I may pass it up. Spring conditions get pretty annoying after lunch when you are riding over sloppy piles of snow and standing in puddles by the racks.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Where is this?  

I'm already starting to wash and put my gears away for the season.  Cry

It's was at Keystone! I was there last weekend boarding on some pretty good conditions!

Originally posted by MustacheGeorge

The Resorts are on leased Federal State Park Land and they need to close due to the migration patterns of the wildlife.

OH WOW. That's so interesting! I guess I never thought of that. So the resort really has no say in when they close, it's a deal with the state. Now that makes sense to me. Super bummer.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 4:40pm
That's what they will tell you, and even though there may be some truth to that, the bottom line is once April hits the only people riding or skiing are those who already have passesand either live locally or are from the front range. But with Denver weather turning so nice so early in spring many people from the front range don't bother. Therefore, resorts spending way too much money on daily operations to make it worth staying open for the little revenue they bring in. Simple economics really, Supply (Resorts being open) vs. Demand (People willing to spend money).
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 4:58pm
ive heard from the lifties at my resort that they also focus during xmas and new years. thats where most resorts make or break their season in terms of revenue. we dont have too much wildlife where we're at so its easy to see that money is the big factor. fuel prices definitely reflect how many lifts they run per day as well. a good indicator on when my local resort is closing soon is that they cut back on the number of lifts running.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 7:48pm
I spent the last few days snowboarding. The weather was nice and sunny, and there was plenty of powder left.
My season is officially over now. Can't wait until next year :)
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Scorer099

That's what they will tell you, and even though there may be some truth to that, the bottom line is once April hits the only people riding or skiing are those who already have passesand either live locally or are from the front range. But with Denver weather turning so nice so early in spring many people from the front range don't bother. Therefore, resorts spending way too much money on daily operations to make it worth staying open for the little revenue they bring in. Simple economics really, Supply (Resorts being open) vs. Demand (People willing to spend money).

That's what I thought too...only season pass holders go now this late in the season. They dont make ANY money bc the lift ticket prices are still super high. I feel like if they discount their prices for spring conditions more people would go!

But my other resort..A-basin will open as long as they can! How does that work? They opened until late june/early july 2 seasons ago....wtf.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
humblerooster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 6:48pm
My resort offered free ski if you bring 8 cans of food. It was raining and there was barely any snow left. Not even worth it.
chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chenmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:49pm
Massachusetts just finished this weekend. But still a few vt, nh, me resorts running full mountains
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 5:09am
Well....sad to say that yesterday was my official last day of the season.  Cry  It's getting quite slushy in Tahoe with the resorts closing next week.

Till November......
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 5:16am
Having a good time in Breck right now, afternoons are getting slushy.  Going to ride as much slush as possible today and then start getting ready for the mountain biking season.
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 6:08am
Hell No The Season Is Not Done Here In Colorado! A foot (or more) of snow is predicted for this Tuesday! Granted it is spring riding & not always ideal conditions but it's always great to get out and ride. I'll ride this late season mashed potatoes with a smile on my face! Smile 
psubballfan12 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote psubballfan12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 6:53am
Wish I didnt live on the East Coast, all the places around me are pretty much shut down. Time to break out the golf clubs!
Protect your domes
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Oinker

Hell No The Season Is Not Done Here In Colorado! A foot (or more) of snow is predicted for this Tuesday! Granted it is spring riding & not always ideal conditions but it's always great to get out and ride. I'll ride this late season mashed potatoes with a smile on my face! Smile 

Dude I completely agree! Got a good amount of snow coming out way. I actually love spring conditions! Casual wear, soft snow, suns out. Sounds awesome to me.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 1:15pm
going this weekend for some last of the season turns, not sure the Tahoe BC will have anything left in May.  June going to My. Hood, July/Aug will be tough trying to scrape together the coin for a NZ trip, but I don't think that will happen this year
-zakk

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 2:42pm
^^^ Keep the faith Z, there are going to be goods up and down the Eastern Sierra (tioga and sonora passes, mammoth and june lakes, etc.) until June.  Also I am hopeful we'll still get out to shred corn on Lassen and/or Shasta this year.  Keep on keepin' on!

-b
get bent
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 3:08pm
Last day shredding for the season for sure yesterday. Riding in 65 degree weather and I got sun burnt. Pretty great day to end the season with the bros though.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

^^^ Keep the faith Z, there are going to be goods up and down the Eastern Sierra (tioga and sonora passes, mammoth and june lakes, etc.) until June.  Also I am hopeful we'll still get out to shred corn on Lassen and/or Shasta this year.  Keep on keepin' on!

-b

I'm too slow to go out with your groups ConfusedLOL
-zakk

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 5:38am
Originally posted by julius77

This is my understanding as well.

Looks like my season is probably over at this point.  Unless I do some BC with my buddy up in Tahoe but I do not think this is likely for this season at this point.

Only got in 16 days this year do to the dry season...would have gotten at least 25 if it was a better year.

Two dry seasons in a row...still had great fun though so can only be better next year :)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 5:52am
^^ Yeah, after these two in a row dry seasons I'm really craving another 10/11 dump year.  Please please please dump 13/14!!!!
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 9:10am
Originally posted by CO_champagne

^^ Yeah, after these two in a row dry seasons I'm really craving another 10/11 dump year.  Please please please dump 13/14!!!!

This year wasn't TOO dry? I really enjoyed this year. Got some awesome powder turns in, fantastic season! It's because the 10/11 dump year was just TOO epic, nothing will ever be good enough again for you haha.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 9:21am
^ This year was an improvement over last year but still pales in comparison to seasons before that.

I'm with CO_champgne, we need another season like 2010/11.  Big, frequent dumps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>