The Outdoors Man Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
xxbeachbum0804xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xxbeachbum0804xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Outdoors Man Thread
    Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 11:47am
Figured i'd make an Outdoors man thread so we could share pictures, stories and tips on Hunting, Fishing and Camping. I'm fairly new to this so i would love to hear what you guys have to share.

I guess ill start it off with a pic of my first and only Deer i shot back in December of 2012 in NJ. I used a compound bow and shot from about 10 yards from my tree stand (18ft up). This little guy was under me and quartering away and was also one of 4 deer in my corn pile. Sadly he had the biggest rack of them all lol. Even worse he had Cystic Fibrosis there for i opted not to eat it. O well, there's still more fish in the sea and deer in the woods.
Zach0769 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Zach0769 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 1:54pm

This is my first buck with a bow this past fall.  I've been hunting since I was 16.. patience pays off to say the least.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 2:56pm
oh snap.  I am tempted to post way too many pictures in here.
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 3:19pm
Go gentle on them Spenser... (tho I'm sure there's plenty I haven't seen.)
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 3:23pm
here are some randoms of mine from the past couple years, mostly fishing.  a few photos from each, but you can check all the photos and stories in the links.  this is my dad and uncle's boat.  they go at least a few times a month for 2-3 days at a time.  I tag along for at least a couple trips each summer.  we normally go to the outer coast out of cross sound, to a place called elfin cove, and fish about an hour south of there.

last fall on my skiff with friend and dog, trolling.  so relaxing..

last summer, went to lituya bay.  most amazing landscape I have ever seen, and I can't deny I've seen a lot.

camping on the top of the boat with the head of the bay in the background

the mountains at the back of the bay, zero to 8,000ft

pulling shrimp pots the next morning, ended up with 5 gallons of tails

pod of 40-50 orca passed us.  15kft fairweather range in the background

toward shore on the other side

camping on the back deck in deer harbor on the coast

overnight trip a couple years ago.. shrimp, about 5 gallons of tails again

earlier that summer, a few nights on the coast again.  video of my pops pulling in a 170lb halibut.  this is uncut so it's long, but a good fight... you think it's slow until the fish runs.  I think it starts to come to the surface around 12 minutes or something like that

90lb halibut just prior to the 170

and the 170, screenshot from the video

pops with his catch

couple years ago, just a day trip not too far out

a pod of humpback bubblefeeding

seiner near where we were fishing

a childhood friend was back in town and came to slay kings

sea lion doing the usual

steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 3:48pm
Spenser you have to be the most avid outdoor enthusiast on this site, you truly know how to enjoy life.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 3:54pm
the key is to live somewhere awesome, scrape by, and live hard.  I was lucky enough to be born in an awesome place.  I wish more people could experience awesome places around the world.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 8:21pm
Dang.... 
I've got to look around the old photo albums...
When I was 15 or so my mom & I went fishing on the Sacramento River, I caught a 46lb king and my mom got a 35lb'er. 

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xxbeachbum0804xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2013 at 4:57pm
Great pics so far guys, keep em coming!!

This was a day filled with party boat fishing and Coronas. We were going for Stripers and as you can see the whole boated had their limit. lol
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2013 at 7:19pm
I'm thinking about making a PVC long bow for target practice and bow-fishing. Anyone had any experience with the? I've been doing a lot of youtubing and it looks legit. Probably cost me around $15 for the bow I want to make. If anything It'll be good fun and hopefully good for target practice. I'd rather try this first than going out to the store and get a real bow for much more.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xxbeachbum0804xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 4:27am
Where did everyone go? Not much activity lately.

This is a pic of my buddy and his 400 lbs Black Bear he shot (compound bow) up in canada summer 2012.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 9:57am
Originally posted by haiv143

I'm thinking about making a PVC long bow for target practice and bow-fishing. Anyone had any experience with the? I've been doing a lot of youtubing and it looks legit. Probably cost me around $15 for the bow I want to make. If anything It'll be good fun and hopefully good for target practice. I'd rather try this first than going out to the store and get a real bow for much more.

I don't see anything wrong with using a pvc bow, but what kind of arrows are you going to use?  DIY ones too?  

So...what do you do with your big game kill?  Shocked
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 7:17pm
bow and string is going to be home made. Arrows are purchased at the store years ago. I had a compound bow way back but broke it. I got a few brand new arrows I found in the garage. I'd like to make my own arrows too but they won't be as sturdy as real arrows. Tomorrow I'm going to make my target out of 30 thick Dell computer boxes. Hopefully it'll be enough to stop the arrow.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 6:34am
heres a real Jersey buck beachbum!
The old man took him on our old five acre piece in SJ 3 years ago, with the Bow. I miss that place.
And here we got stuck in a pit offroading. To give you a perspective of how deep it was the truck sits probably 3.5 feet off the ground with 38 inch tires.
A little more offroading aftermath this truck is considerably smaller.
heres some fishing pics i snapped last year like this spot because the plant is cooled off of seawater so there is a warm spot there that keeps em biting.

It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 7:51am
wow that is one FAT buck! 
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 9:47am

bow and string is going to be home made. Arrows are purchased at the store years ago. I had a compound bow way back but broke it. I got a few brand new arrows I found in the garage. I'd like to make my own arrows too but they won't be as sturdy as real arrows. Tomorrow I'm going to make my target out of 30 thick Dell computer boxes. Hopefully it'll be enough to stop the arrow.

I made my target out of boxes and it doesn't stop the arrows very well especially if you have massive draw strength.  LOL  You need to either stick Styrofoam or a phone book inside otherwise it's gonna pierce right through.  LOL
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Witty1

wow that is one FAT buck! 

which one mine or Zach's? Zach's buck is huge. Bigger than anything ive ever seen. My dads buck was about 120lbs. They dont grow much bigger than 150lbs in jersey.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

I made my target out of boxes and it doesn't stop the arrows very well especially if you have massive draw strength.  LOL  You need to either stick Styrofoam or a phone book inside otherwise it's gonna pierce right through.  LOL
I'm gonna guess my homemade bow is going to have a 35-40lbs draw strength I hope that'll be light enough to not pierce through 10 inch thick of cardboard.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 5:01pm

I'm gonna guess my homemade bow is going to have a 35-40lbs draw strength I hope that'll be light enough to not pierce through 10 inch thick of cardboard.
You should be fine....
10" of cardboard is surprisingly tough...
It'll wear faster than you think though...
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 5:52pm
I postponed making it due to work but I've already made a few strings in different sizes for small bows i'm going to make. I'll finish it in a few days and post a picture of the finished product. Bow, string, and target!
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 7:23pm
Finished making the bow. The draw weight is actually more than what I expected. Leaving the string on overnight to let the bow cure with the shape. Need to paint it but that can wait after a few target shots. Currently 45# @26 inches.

Here's the serving rig I made to serve strings.

Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 10:11pm

Finished making the bow. The draw weight is actually more than what I expected. Leaving the string on overnight to let the bow cure with the shape. Need to paint it but that can wait after a few target shots. Currently 45# @26 inches.

Here's the serving rig I made to serve strings.

That's quite the craftsmanship you've got going there. 
How long did the project take? and did you document the whole process? 

haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 4:24am
Thanks, this bow is actually my 2nd one. The first was experimental, basically learning how to press, bend, and mold the shape. I took some pictures by not many. I will be making another bow (smaller bow) next week and will take lots of pictures then--now that I got my technique down.

The 2nd bow took 4 hours. Most of the time it was standing there looking at the bow and deciding which side needs to bend more. lol. I'm sure it'll be a lot faster once I get more experience.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 10:18am
What the hell, how did you do that????  Shocked  It looks like a real bow!!!!  Shocked  I have a compound bow, but I want to get a traditional bow next then an xbow.  LOL
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 2:14pm

What the hell, how did you do that????  Shocked  It looks like a real bow!!!!  Shocked  I have a compound bow, but I want to get a traditional bow next then an xbow.  LOL
I watch Backyardbowyer's youtube page and went from there. Now that I have all the equipment my next bow will cost me $2. LOL, here's a list of material I got to make my pvc bow.

Heatgun $10
100lbs Fishing String (free)
Serving String (to serve string) $10
Bee's wax $9

I got the rest of the stuff in my garage. 2x4 wood for clamping, Clamps, Filer to sand edges and bolts and screws.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2013 at 9:44am
That is just crazy, but too much work and effort though since I'm lazy.  LOL  It looks good though, I'm amazed.  Now to test it out Haiv143!  LOL
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2013 at 8:23pm
I'll upload a video tomorrow if it's not wet. I actually made another one in a hurry today because of the bz day it has been. The smaller one is actually more fun to shoot because of the weight strength being so forgiving, roughly 30# @ 28 inches. It looks bad ass too! Cost me $1.00 in material and 3 hours of fun!

Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2013 at 9:32pm
Is that a typo?? $1.00?? 
If it's really a fun thing for you to do... You might want to consider selling custom made bow's

I'm sure you could sell a few on here and theres always craigslist and archery forums. 
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2013 at 9:50pm

Is that a typo?? $1.00?? 
If it's really a fun thing for you to do... You might want to consider selling custom made bow's
I'm sure you could sell a few on here and theres always craigslist and archery forums. 

I think he already had most of the material so he didn't really need to buy anything to make another one. Super sick bows though!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 9:27am
Yeah, he said earlier he had most of the materials already.  This plastic bending stuff looks pretty cool and fun to do like a new form of Avatar or something.  LOL
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 6:48pm

Is that a typo?? $1.00?? 

Yeah, you read that right. A 10 feet pvc pipe cost $1.86. One pipe can make two bows. If you want to account for bow string, it'll cost another $1.00 since I bought a big roll. It'll take around 2 hours to finish a bow depending on the style. So if I wanted to be creative with it, it can take me all day.

I finally got to shoot both of the bows I made today, a 30# and 50# bow I made earlier this week. It's sick! the weaker bow is a lot more fun to shoot because it's lighter on the fingers. The 50# bow left puff marks on my brother's finger tips because the string was so strong and hard to pull. it was hilarious seeing his puffed-up fingers.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 9:12am
You don't wear those special archery gloves for cases like that?
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 12:52pm

You don't wear those special archery gloves for cases like that?
Well, we weren't expecting to get blisters. LOL it was like, Oh! you made a bow?!?! Lets shoot it! haha.. inexperience noobs at our best.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 7:05pm
Made a portable bow. Shoots like a real bow. Doesn't come loose--not an inch! no play at all. 35# @ 28inches.

Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 12:47pm
You are too crazy Haiv.  Shocked  But that is a good idea though.  How many homemade bows have you made so far now, 3?  LOL
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 2:17pm
Yup. Planning on making a another one since I'm more experienced. It's gonna be the Hunger Games replica LOL and also going to make a 100# crossbow. I just picked up supplies today. I will upload videos from this past weekend of me shooting. Nothing exciting but it's a lot better than looking at pictures.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 3:26pm

Yup. Planning on making a another one since I'm more experienced. It's gonna be the Hunger Games replica LOL and also going to make a 100# crossbow. I just picked up supplies today. I will upload videos from this past weekend of me shooting. Nothing exciting but it's a lot better than looking at pictures.

That just sounds too badass...
Are there any dead spots with the portable bow??
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 4:28am
By dead spot, do you mean area where the bow won't bend?
From the handle to the the white joints it bends a bit. From the joints to the tips it bends a lot more, allowing 6.5inches of brace height--the length from the bow handle to the string when strung.

Personally, this is my favorite bow to shoot because it shoots straight. My other 35# bow curve just a bit if I don't pull the string back all the way. With my new release trigger, everything is just more fun because I don't get finger blisters anymore LOL
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 9:31pm
Video of me shooting my takedown/portable bow last week. It's pretty accurate. Shot it at 20 and 30 feet, I think? We shot it at 120 feet at my sister's house too. I just broke it yesterday because I left it in the garage with 100+ degrees of heat. One of the limbs bent on me because the plastic got a little soft. I already saw it coming and knew that limb was a bit week but unfortunately it gave out quicker than I thought. Nevertheless it was really fun and everyone loved shooting it. All I gotta do now is make a limb to replace the broken one :)
Video
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 2:53pm
I guess that would be the downside of a plastic bow.  LOL  I guess in your case, there's no need to worry about it snapping and flying into your eye or something.  Your cardboard box target is much smaller than the one I made, but you probably have better aim than me anyways.  Shocked
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 5:55pm
The cardboard target is actually 2'x3.5' (7 inches deep) and weights 30lbs. I've never gotten to shoot straight through it yet and have only gotten halfway if I stood up close.

Half way done with the hungers game replica and half way done with the crossbow. Thinking about finishing the bow tomorrow and crossbow next week.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 10:52am
Yeah, my cardboard target is like 4 times bigger than yours but only like 4 inches deep, but I stuffed it with Styrofoam and memory foam from an old mattress.  It's pretty light but due to the size, I either have to drag it or need help carrying it outside.  LOL
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 3:24pm
I it stormed last night for a good 30 minutes. I left my target outside and now it's all ruined :(
Time to make another one, this time, a portable one.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 3:49pm
Remember that phone books are cheap and plentiful!
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2013 at 8:32pm
I had a bow when I was little, then upgraded to the pulley system, then got a crossbow. Then got more into school sports :-( I still love my crossbow though :-)
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2013 at 9:04pm
I know I posted this in two other pertinent threads, but I can't help it; I love me some salmon!

got my first king of the year the other day... a fatty 36 incher.  gave half of the fillets away and still have half of what I kept, after eating it every day between 2-3 people since catching it.

our catch for the day consisted of, in this order of catch, a dolly, my 36", and jeremy's 28"

magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2013 at 5:51pm
Man, that salmon looks soooo good. I love salmon sashimi! Too bad u can't eat super fresh salmon sashimi right after u catch it
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2013 at 5:40am
Here is a pretty rad video of the provo boys fishing and backcountry boarding in Alaska. Looks like a pretty amazing unguided trip they took. 

Can't figure out how to insert a vimeo video, so here's the link

Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2013 at 11:37am
Originally posted by diviesti

Here is a pretty rad video of the provo boys fishing and backcountry boarding in Alaska. Looks like a pretty amazing unguided trip they took. 

Can't figure out how to insert a vimeo video, so here's the link

Rad video, love the silly antics like the ski dancing part and cool of them to catch and release that salmon.  LOL
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2013 at 1:52pm

Rad video, love the silly antics like the ski dancing part and cool of them to catch and release that salmon.  LOL

At first when they showed them riding a stationary bike I was like wtf is going on here, I guess they are bike riders Confused Badass idea to charge your gear though
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>