Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TruSnow Fantasy Football - Dynasty league-
    Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 12:25pm
So I have football on the brain and I recall in the last number of years we have had a LOT of interest in the FFL's we have done.  Last years was very competitive and very active. 

I am in a 30 team Dynasty Hockey league and it's a ton of fun, especially the ongoing aspect of it and keeping a blend of youth, picks, and stars.  30 teams for football might be a bit much LOL but that's the idea.

I would like to start a Dynasty league for us and want to know if we have enough GM's (thinking 12-16? open to ideas/suggestions) that would also like to take part to make sure we have a competitive and fun group of guys and ideally a token woman member as well.  

EDIT: 
below are the GM's we have signed up:

1. zakk
  2. lightning80
  3. dking
  4. Sintexo
  5. Nate (zakk's brother)
  6. Pouge
  7. diviesti
  8. shwazy (?)
  9. bryman 
-zakk

lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 12:53pm
I'm in! Clap
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 12:55pm

Count me in.

Which website were you planning on using?

And what rules/roster limits were you thinking?

I'm excited already... I also still have football on the brain.
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by dking

Count me in.

Which website were you planning on using?

And what rules/roster limits were you thinking?

I'm excited already... I also still have football on the brain.

I used Fantrax for my FHL Dynasty, but I am open to all format and options.  I'm sure there will be some small fee for hosting the league, but that weeds out the undesirables as well.  I would happily pay $10 a year for year round football on the brain.  hell, between the combine and Frozen Four and NHL draft (along with the NHL deadline just passing) I am going nuts.  

One thing I have not gotten my head around is how to handle defense/Special teams.  
-zakk

Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 3:09pm
I've had football on the brain for a while now haha.  I'd be down.  May not post on here as much, but I'm always up for FF.

(Unrelated to FF, but football related)
Anyone whose interested, I've been messing around with this site http://first-pick.com/ that lets you simulate drafts for teams.  It's pretty interesting, albeit not completely realistic (you can basically always trade down and pick up extra selections).
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 3:18pm
hard to not have football on the mind with the draft coming up!
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 4:59pm
well, we are up to 5 players and my brother makes 6, so I think we are almost 1/2 way.  I'd like to get a big group to make player movement and trades more necessary.  i think it would be awesome to get to 32 owners
-zakk

Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 5:24pm
Wouldn't the teams just be god awful if we had 32?  Not sure exactly how dynasty works, I'll have to look into it more.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Sintexo

Wouldn't the teams just be god awful if we had 32?  Not sure exactly how dynasty works, I'll have to look into it more.

it would be like the NFL, where you have some competing, some rebuilding.  the thing about the NFL is you get real talent, NFL ready talent in the 3rd and 4th rounds, so rebuilding can be fast if you're trading out talent for picks.  

i think having 16 to start and maybe an expansion draft to 20 would be the way to start.  
-zakk

Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 6:54am
In a FF sense though, the problem with the rookie drafts, especially this current draft, is all of the top talent is in mostly non-FF positions (OL, DL, DB, etc).  There are very few WR/QB/RB's to go around in this years draft.  Not really arguing for or against anything, just making an observation.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 7:49am
Originally posted by Sintexo

In a FF sense though, the problem with the rookie drafts, especially this current draft, is all of the top talent is in mostly non-FF positions (OL, DL, DB, etc).  There are very few WR/QB/RB's to go around in this years draft.  Not really arguing for or against anything, just making an observation.

the way I see it working is this: 

each roster let's say is 20 players.

15 get protected.  5 are exposed.  

after the real NFL draft, we would hold a draft.  any exposed player, free agent in the FFL, or rookie draft eligible player can be selected.  

drafts could be as few as 3 rounds or as many as 6 or so, I don't see the need for rosters much past 20, but I am open to the idea
-zakk

Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 4:55pm
Been doing some reading about it.  One version I found pretty interesting.  You keep all of your players (say 20), then have a 5 round redraft each year.  After the draft, you have to decide who is worth keeping, and who to cut, to get your roster back down to 20.

This definitely sounds fun, but a shitty draft like I had last year could hinder you for years to come haha.

Would we be doing IDP?  Cause that's something that I think is completely over my head haha
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 5:40pm
I'd be down, still think we should put some money in a paypal account for the winner. Even if its just a little

Football is always on my mind...........
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 7:28am
Originally posted by diviesti

I'd be down, still think we should put some money in a paypal account for the winner. Even if its just a little

Football is always on my mind...........

it would be a round number to cover costs with Fantrax or the like and the winner gets whatever is left after league dues are done.  I'd be good with that as long as I get PayPal gift'd the cash LOL
-zakk

dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 6:13pm
16 teams with 15-20 man rosters without IDP would be pretty intense. I've never done IDPs before but we could all learn together. Rather than thinking of total roster size, lets talk about what the starting line up positions would be. We can expand to bench size after that.

So normally a lineup would be:

QB, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, Flex(WR,TE,RB?),DST,K

QB2, WR3 and/or fixed TE position is up for discussion. Also, we could add IDPs instead of team DSTs. Kickers are also optional but I like the idea of having one in a dynasty league
Thoughts?bor
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 9:20am

So normally a lineup would be:

QB, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, Flex(WR,TE,RB?),DST,K

I think I'd add a TE in there as a must start.  I really don't like the QB2 system, no team can play 2 QB's at the same time (under center)

I'd even be OK with 

QB, RB1, WR1, TE1, Flex 1, Flex 2, DST, K 

with the flex being restricted to WR,TE,RB
-zakk

Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 10:55am
I agree, I do not really like QB2 leagues.  I would possibly be interested in adding IDP's, but maybe not until season 2?  Start off with what we all know, then in the second year we could have a separate FA/Rookie Draft, then an IDP draft.  Or the other way around?
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 11:51am
i think DST for year 1, and see if we have a strong group and go from there.  

i think we'll assign real team names as well so if we add GM's later can fill out the league  
-zakk

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 12:03pm
Mmmmmmm....  Kinda interested.  I want to reserve the team name "Cleveland Steamers," please.

-b
get bent
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 12:26pm
I'm reserving "Dallas Lightning". Yes on 1 QB, and DST. Don't really care how the flex positions are arranged.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

Mmmmmmm....  Kinda interested.  I want to reserve the team name "Cleveland Steamers," please.

-b

you could smell that one like a fart in a car LOL

why did the 49ers steal your kicker!?

I'll get you on the roster
-zakk

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 2:38pm
With the windows rolled up!!!  Apparently the Browns let Phil Dawson go because new ownership is more interested in defrauding poor truck drivers out of gas rebates than anything else.  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9187986/cleveland-browns-owner-jimmy-haslam-iii-knew-company-fraud-scheme-docs-say

I'm afraid Cleveland is still cursed, we'll see

-b
get bent
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 8:48pm
All of that input sounds good. Now we're getting the ball rolling.

So far, it seem like we're agreeing on:

So now. How many bench spots seem reasonable?

zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2013 at 5:20am

I'm thinking 14-16, with maybe 2 practice squad spots where you can't use them that year, kinda like the minor leagues to develop players?  I'd like something that rewards developing talent.  Just having a keeper league is OK, but I'd like something a bit more

-zakk

dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2013 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by zakk

I'm thinking 14-16, with maybe 2 practice squad spots where you can't use them that year, kinda like the minor leagues to develop players?  I'd like something that rewards developing talent.  Just having a keeper league is OK, but I'd like something a bit more
Sounds good. What about non-active IR slots for injured players?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 10:08am
Is it possible to make practice squad players available to replace injured roster players?
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 10:33am
That depends on the data base of players. I doubt a gm can control that since its dependent if the website keeps track of those players. If theyre tracked, then i dont see a reason why not.
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 12:09pm
I don't think he meant actual NFL team's practice squads, but to allow the ability for our "practice squad" spots (non-usable players for the season) to be brought up if a player is injured.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 1:06pm
I'm not sure what he means. Clarification l80?
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 1:24pm
Basically, Zakk had the idea of having 2 "practice squad" spots, where we can keep players on our roster, but are not available for use during the season.  The purpose being if we found a rookie that we thought might not be useful this current season, but could bust out next year, we could protect him on our roster but we couldn't use him during the current season.

Lightning was wondering if one of our players was injured (I assume being moved to IR), then would we have the ability to swap out one of our practice squad players for the player currently on IR, so we at least have an active player.

Note the "practice squad" players are not on an NFL practice squad, they are currently on a teams roster, they are most likely just buried on the depth chart.
Also note that this is just my interpretation, and I could be wrong.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 1:27pm
^ Zakk mentioned having "2 practice squad spots where you can't use them that year". I'm asking, in a situation where one of your regular players get a season-ending injury, can we make it so that we can call up one of the practice squad player you already have on your team, instead of having a hard rule where you can't use any of your practice squad players that year.

Edit: Sintexo got it exactly right Clap
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 2:11pm
I woudl say no to Practice Squad going to take the place of the guy in IR, I'd say that is what your bench is for.  So it would look like: 

QB, 
RB1, 
WR1, 
TE1, 
Flex 1*
 Flex 2*
DST,
K
* with the flex being restricted to WR,TE,RB

Bench 1
Bench 2
Bench 3
Bench 4
Bench 5

IR (unlimited, must be on IR in real life, player will be released if people try to keep a 6 week IR guy on for the season or some other such penalty)

Practice Squad 1
Practice Squad 2

So in the example above, you'd have 15 set roster spaces, and maybe we'd protect 10 plus your practice squad.  or we can do a rookies only draft after year 1, again something to be discussed. 

The really fun part would be what to do/draft in year 1.  lots to pick from, many holes that will affect you for years to come, make every pick count!  
-zakk

Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 2:44pm
Yea, the whole "picks you make now affect you for years to come" worries me a bit.  3/4 of my FF drafts have gone pretty well, but I made some terrible mistakes in the TruSnow league last year, and if that was my team going forward, I'd be screwed haha.

Does 15 seem too small for a full roster (including PS)?  I guess it depends on how many teams we have.  But if we only have 12 teams, I feel like you'd end up with pretty reasonable players that you'd want to use stuck on your PS.  Maybe 15 + 2 PS?
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 7:56pm
zakk, that roster structure looks good to me.

sinexto, I would not be opposed to 15-16 roster spots (7-8 bench) plus 2 practice squad and IR spots. With only five bench spots, things could get hairy depending on bye weeks.
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 3:49pm
Even though I know its really early for mocks, does anyone know of any sites/software that lets you do mock keeper/dynasty drafts?  Trying to mock one of my leagues, but haven't been able to find anything that works.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 1:40pm
I don't know of anywhere off hand that has fantasy mock drafts going. Did you try a web search? I'm sure there's somewhere out there doing them.
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 1:44pm
http://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/ has regular mocks, but I can't find anything that allows for keeper leagues.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 10:11am
This would be separate from our Yahoo league right?  I'm down so just keep me in the loop.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 12:58pm

Draft is over... OTAs are over... training camp still a few weeks away... Football black hole.

NHL is over, NBA is over... anyone else tired of all the boring baseball?
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 1:02pm
are we still interested in this? 
-zakk

dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 1:04pm
Of course... when's the draft?
psubballfan12 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote psubballfan12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2013 at 5:57pm
Im in for sure!
Protect your domes
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2013 at 5:21am
I'm still in
psubballfan12 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote psubballfan12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2013 at 6:18pm
When would this begin? It sounds pretty cool if it could work out
Protect your domes
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2013 at 5:34pm
I'm  In too..  what kind of ante are we looking at
Fear is the Mind Killer
 Post Reply Post Reply