1st Openly homosexual Athlete in "Top 4" Sports Comes Out

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Openly homosexual Athlete in "Top 4" Sports Comes Out
    Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 11:57am
Jason Collins is his name and he is an NBA player. I wonder what this will do for others. Reactions were interesting from other pros. Kobe congratulated him, Mike Wallace said something about how women were so beautiful how could you go for men, and Lance Briggs indirectly answered the question by talking about the Cubs and Bulls (strange).
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 12:29pm
That takes a lot of courage in this day and age- regardless of what your beliefs are. If he were my friend, I would be incredibly proud of him.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 12:54pm
That's quite a ballsy move... and I don't mean it in a homosexual way.

In all seriousness, who cares if a professional athlete is ghay?  For that matter, who cares if my co-worker is ghay?  Or my neighbor?  None of my business.  
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 12:57pm
Yeah, but locker rooms have traditionally been very homophobic environments. Normally, one doesn't shower or suit up next to their neighbor or coworker. But you're right. Nobody should care who people love.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 1:17pm
homosexual or not, it's not like he was required to revealed his sexual preference,good on him by announcing it publicly.Nothing but respect to this individual this may give serious support and encouragement to other athletes who might want to come out..in the end it does not matter.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 1:32pm
Being a collegiate athlete that has to share a locker room with my team mates, i have to say it would be awkward. But with that being said i dont expect locker room behavior to change, we will joke and bust balls, homosexual jokes are part of the norm. I dont expect the atmosphere to change because of it. I'm not going to judge him or treat him any different than before. and i wouldnt quit my friendship with him either, he just has to respect our "privacy" and we will respect him.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by julius77

Yeah, but locker rooms have traditionally been very homophobic environments. Normally, one doesn't shower or suit up next to their neighbor or coworker. But you're right. Nobody should care who people love.

Good point (locker rooms being homophobic).  Bottom line is if you notice the dude checking out your junk while you're showering, talk to him about it.  Not a big deal.  If he doesn't cooperate then resort to letting him shower first and take your turn after he leaves the shower area.

I'm sure there have been ghay athletes in every sport over the years but the fear of the consequences of coming out most likely kept them quiet.  So now an athlete comes out and sparks fear amongst the homophobes... well, good for him.  People are too narrow minded.
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 3:00pm
*NOT the first in sports, let alone *american sports........

that said, good for em!!!! they can apparently play just as hard!

git er dun!
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

*NOT the first in sports, let alone *american sports........

that said, good for em!!!! they can apparently play just as hard!

git er dun!

Did you read the thread title?  "Top 4" Sports.  Not only that the person you linked to came out after he was done playing.

The thing with Collins is that he's 35, has no contract for next year, only played in 6 games this year and his team is not in the playoffs.  His career could very well be over so the locker room impact may not even happen.  This isn't like someone in their prime coming out and having to play next week.
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 4:49pm
i read Robbie Rogers' article a few weeks back...however he plays soccer (my favorite sport btw) and he played in the 2nd division in England...this guy played basketball and played this year, sparingly, but still played...the other interesting thing is that he is black. being black and ghay is a whole different ballgame. i teach at a predominantly (80%) black high school and the way they look at ghay people, especially ghay men, is not how white america looks at it.
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 2:05am
I don't think he gets picked up again, and a few minority will love saying it's because he came out.

It's a great thing he has done and hopefully more follow suit!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 3:30am
Originally posted by milutinho

i read Robbie Rogers' article a few weeks back...however he plays soccer (my favorite sport btw) and he played in the 2nd division in England...this guy played basketball and played this year, sparingly, but still played...the other interesting thing is that he is black. being black and ghay is a whole different ballgame. i teach at a predominantly (80%) black high school and the way they look at ghay people, especially ghay men, is not how white america looks at it.

Are you saying black people are less tolerant than white people?  

I think it's more of an environment issue - by environment I mean the environment people are raised in.  Generally speaking people living in poor neighborhoods are less educated and less tolerant.  While not always true I would think people with a stronger education and raised in a good neighborhood would tend to be more tolerant.

I'm waiting for the first ghay hockey and football players to come out, the 2 sports where physical contact is part of the game.

derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 3:30am
Originally posted by 360faceplant

Did you read the thread title?  "Top 4" Sports.  Not only that the person you linked to came out after he was done playing.

The thing with Collins is that he's 35, has no contract for next year, only played in 6 games this year and his team is not in the playoffs.  His career could very well be over so the locker room impact may not even happen.  This isn't like someone in their prime coming out and having to play next week.

yes i did read the title.... and basketball is not even in the top 5 of sports... most lists have basketball around spot 8 in the top 10....  
the link i posted, yea i know he has since quit playing, but he came out while still playing, quit after coming out.... at least thats what the article says if you read it. 
"walked away from the sport in February, after coming out in a letter he posted online."
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 3:31am
It truly is great that he came out of his shell, but honestly he is too small of an influence to change sports in general 
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/JennyLi
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 4:48am
I should have written top 4 in USA sport which basketball most definitely is.

I can tell you one thing, the black community is definitely NOT politically correct about how they feel about the ghay folks. They tell you straight up and the language used is not pg. in terms of tolerance, I don't know the gap between the two because I think a lot of white America puts up a front with how they feel about it in public and what they really feel about it behind closed doors. It seems that every white person I speak to from all over the country tells me it doesn't matter to them and somehow the debate rages on. Whereas all my black students and there parents speak there mind.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 7:12am
People just don't understand that no one has come out in the NBA. I'm assuming that's the same for the NFL since they're 2 of the top 4 sports. Other athletes have voiced this but not in a large popular sport like the NBA
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 7:45am
Originally posted by sideways99

Originally posted by julius77

Good point (locker rooms being homophobic).  Bottom line is if you notice the dude checking out your junk while you're showering, talk to him about it.  Not a big deal.  If he doesn't cooperate then resort to letting him shower first and take your turn after he leaves the shower area.

I'm sure there have been ghay athletes in every sport over the years but the fear of the consequences of coming out most likely kept them quiet.  So now an athlete comes out and sparks fear amongst the homophobes... well, good for him.  People are too narrow minded.
don't think ghay guys are the only ones "looking at your junk"...you are being sized up and compared by and to everybody. 

I went to an all boys boarding high school with communal showers.  Everybody looked at everybody else's junk at least once and no one ever said any type of ghay jokes while in there...no one was that stupid.  And who are we to think that rare ghay guy is even attracted to us?...he may be solely attracted to only other black guys...or skinny asians...or old men...who knows, but I find the locker room argument weak.

Collins is also a fairly attractive black guy (I guess...not my gig), so his standards may be deservedly high (no pun intended).
movesmusic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 8:14am
Props to Mr. Collins..
Board to death.
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 8:52am
^I think with the present of an actual homosexual person they are familiar with, and the vocal support that will follow, I think we will see less homophobia coming out of the locker rooms than expected.  I do agree it is there, but the NBA and individual players are brands, and they will respond well to the responsibility of protecting their sport from homophobia.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 10:13am
Good for him, and maybe he just wasn't interested in any of his team mates since some people don't find people who are in their same industry as attractive.  I know a personal trainer who would never date someone that was into fitness.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

I know a personal trainer who would never date someone that was into fitness.  

I find that odd, my college roommate was a personal trainer and only dated physically fit women.  Still does even though he's no longer a trainer.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 10:39am
I wonder if former teammates of his are looking back and thinking "I always thought that guy was a little strange".
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 10:56am
Gutsy move by Jason Collins coming out like that. Especially, if he's planning on continuing with his career in the nba.
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 11:49am
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9227052/collins-fiancee-reaction

Another angle to see the story.  Glad she was supportive.  

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by steezemisterr

I wonder if former teammates of his are looking back and thinking "I always thought that guy was a little strange".
why would anyone think he was strange...just because he wasn't broadcasting his sexual activity?  He isn't effeminate, so no one should've perceived him as strange
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 1:30pm
i think he was very good at covering it up. even his ex-fiance who dated him for 7-8 years had no idea. so, i don't think he old teammates would think back and thought he acted strange. but, his future teammates are going feel all kinds of weird to be around him in the locker room...especially if he gets "excited" Confused
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9227052/collins-fiancee-reaction

Another angle to see the story. Glad she was supportive.

for being 6'6 tall his fiance is pretty damn hot,sucks that he had to called the wedding off.crazy how he fooled her for 7-8 years and as for being in the locker room with his team mates,the whole homophobia thing is ridiculous,it's not this guy is walking around looking at his every dudes junk,obvious he has to keep it professional for the sake of his career, he did a interview with abc morning news and he seems relieve and much more happier.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by steezemisterr

So all homosexual people are strange? 

Just because someone has come out doesn't mean that there has not been homosexual athletes.  There are most likely other homosexual guys in the NBA and in the other professional sports.  It is almost guaranteed since polls estimate anywhere from 3 to 8% of male population is homosexual  But that is by very conservative definitions, meaning openly homosexual households.
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 4:41pm
i think by strange he means different than straight athletes behave in the locker room...i don't know how i would handle changing in a room of girls that are also changing...i might do some "strange" things like stare or maybe try really hard not to stare at all. i don't know but i do know what he means by "strange".
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 2:59am
His reactions from his teammates has been really good. I think it is accepted but people will still make wise cracks about it. I'm sure some "funny" people would have taken to facebook/instagram/twitter with some meme's about collins very shortly after the story was aired
 Post Reply Post Reply