Most "Chill" Board

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
xcmikeyd08 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xcmikeyd08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most "Chill" Board
    Posted: May/09/2013 at 10:26am
$ is non-issue, riding in to my 8th year, never in the park but will hit natural kickers time to time. 5 '10 160lbs.

1) Let me define "chill" - A board that I can ride the mountain easy on when I want, but when I want it to kick into gear, it'll perform. Not Ferrari, think Cadillac Coupe.

2) From Hard pack/groomed/ice on bad days to a big dump *heh* MY CONCERN: Edge tech (from mtx to vario): Worries: I want to be able to flat base down a green circle with EASE (yes, bc I'm lazy) but also take on the glades which is where I do the majority of riding.

3) Currently own a 151 ride society '08, nice, but I work it down the mountain & under-performs on ice.  

From my research it looks like a directional twin, with some edge tech, RC hybrid is what I'm looking for. Maybe i'm wrong, tell me. I've heard that the NS SL is nice, but is more ferrari-esque (not chill). Would a little more flex (Proto) fix this sorta issue or is that just stupid? I've read a billion reviews and some decent ones look like: Yes Trouble, Gnu Riders Choice, Rossi One Mag, Yes PYL, Never Summer (a few of them). Help. 
Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Alkasquawlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 10:49am
Get something bigger than a 151 at your size, if you want to "work it down the mountain", whatever that means.

Capita BSOD 156, or if you want something a bit stiffer/more aggressive, the Capita TFA 157 which is basically the old BSOD shape/flex.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Online Status: Online
  Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 11:07am
Looks like you're 90% of the way to the promised land. 

I can vouch for the Gnu Rider's Choice (I ride the Gnu Danny Kass myself).  Going from a 151 to a '55 or a '57 (if i were to venture a guess, i think you'd like a '57... just a hunch), you will definitly notice the size difference, but a nice poppy deck will help you ferrari in the trees.  I'd go for more pop and control if I were you, because like you, i ride lots of glades/trees as well.  Tight trees on a double black line are no place for a noodle. 

Let's also get this out of the way: it's all preferance.  I know, not what you want to hear when you ask for advice, but the next 32 posts are going to be some form of "it's up to you man."

So, back to edge tech: i honestly can't feel the mello-magnatraction (BTX) on my DK, unless i'm really pushing it hard through the junk and the ice.  Then, i'm super glad it's there.  Pow days and on easy greens, it doesn't affect straight lining at all.

2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote xcmikeyd08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 11:24am
"Work it down the mountain" - Currently when I'm trying to "relax" and enjoy the nature I'm still having to exert more energy edge to edge than I'd like. I just want a board where I can be "sore & sick & hungover" go slow & be not with it for part of the day but also have the versatility to wander off into the back country or harder trails and kick it in gear.

I just don't want to buy a board that tries to ride full throttle edge to edge 100% of the time because it engineered to do so. I guess what I'm looking for is a "stoner's" dream board.

Edit: Thank you Jdiggidy & Alkasqualik for the recommendations. Jdiggidy, you hit the nail on the head.

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 12:10pm
^^^ I always thought it was called the easy livin for a reason

-b
get bent
bwayne413 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bwayne413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 12:38pm
"Work it down the mountain" - Currently when I'm trying to "relax" and enjoy the nature I'm still having to exert more energy edge to edge than I'd like. I just want a board where I can be "sore & sick & hungover" go slow & be not with it for part of the day but also have the versatility to wander off into the back country or harder trails and kick it in gear."

For some reason its not letting me quote you properly...anyways if your having trouble going edge to edge then it sounds like you need a board with softer flex. Only problem with that is when you "kick it into high gear" it might not perform well. How much "chill" riding are you going to do compared to "high gear" riding? The NS boards might be a little too aggressive for you. Some soft freestyle boards might be more up your alley if your going to be spending most of your time chillin...
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 12:57pm
I would recommend a Thrive Renegade, a hybrid with reverse camber between the feet and regular camber beyond the feet. It gives you the control you're looking for in basically all conditions..hard packed, groomed, trees, pow. It's also forgiving enough for you to be lazy on the greens and straightline down if you want. I rode the board in all conditions this past season and have never been happier. Clap
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote xcmikeyd08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 1:14pm
@Bwayne concerning %'age of time Super chillin: Anywhere from 10-25%. I do like to videotape friends with a handheld so a forgiving smooth ride does come in handy during these times. But when I'm the video subject I like to show off.
bwayne413 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bwayne413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by xcmikeyd08

@Bwayne concerning %'age of time Super chillin: Anywhere from 10-25%. I do like to videotape friends with a handheld so a forgiving smooth ride does come in handy during these times. But when I'm the video subject I like to show off.

The riders choice like previously mentioned would be a good choice. It's pretty loose and easy to turn but also stable at high speeds and responsive in the trees. Its pretty decent in the park too if your into that...Good all around board
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 3:22pm
I'm going to echo lightning80's recommendation of the Thrive Renegade. I think it will suit your criteria modestly well-- and I'm a very harsh critic for snowboard gear. I like to ignore the obvious details of its camber profile or stiffness and will just tell you about the way it rides, straight up. Turn initiation is remarkably easy and you can literally ride it in most conditions very casually standing upright. When you want to give it some stick down a groomer, it will remain modestly calm and pretty average, really: while it won't bounce you around like a jib board, it still rather damp/absorbent like a stiff camber board when snow gets chopped up. Butters and presses are the same as most other all-mountain boards, the flex starts off at the stiffer end of medium stiffness but will certainly ease out to the softer side of medium when you break it in after maybe 15 days. fj5 has made videos buttering and pretzeling on his Renegade and he does them quite well on a board that was barely broken in yet; once it loosens up you'll be able to bend it further. The Renegade bites into ice surprisingly well, though. There are no gimmicky serrations in the board edge to grip for you, which could have fooled me... just a firm-edged board with good ride technique cuts you right through the ice patches without even a second glance. My own boards can't even do that! I have no comment on its performance in powder or pipe. 

Personally, if you want to swing something that's received wider critical acclaim, check out the Arbor Element RX. Nothing but the highest regards surrounding this board. I ride the camber version of it.
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2013 at 6:55pm
you're "working it down the mountain" excuse could be due to just poor technique. I never have to put that much effort into turning something unless its just wayyy too big, or unless im going down something pretty gnarly. take lessons, and shit will be relaxing. learn the proper way to do things, and they will become second nature, instead of something difficult and labored.

someone pointed out to me a long time ago the issue with rear leg steering and dragging/skidding my board around. its tiring, ineffective, and you lose control of it on top of that. learned to make carve turns instead of skid turns and all of a sudden, shit just was a whole lot easier. im not as tired, my turns feel more natural, i have more control, and I don't have to think about navigating through nearly anything. on top of that, i don't look like an idiot on the hill anymore, which is another plus.

ever hear the expression, "its not the tools, its the carpenter" before? I think it can most definitely be applied here. if you assume that buying something will change every aspect of how you perform and shape you into a totally different rider, then you are out of your mind. im 5'11 and about 160-170 (so we are relatively the same size) and I never have to "work" my boards down the hill. also, im riding sizes 10+cm longer than you are. lessons are probably more worth your money than spending a whole bunch of money on a board that you assume will "make you better." while the board wont make you better, the lessons most certainly will, given you pay attention and try to fix the issues yourself.
shredBATALEON: (4:06 PM) dude jb your being such a dutch bag man
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote xcmikeyd08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 7:43am
Thanks JBburton. I'm looking for a new snowboard, not your opinion on my technique. Clap Unless you're implicitly trying to communicate that my 151 society is the ideal all mountain board
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 11:42am
I agree with the capita FK. Tfa or bsod.
Is mellow when u want it n aggressive when u push it.
Size up to at least 154 for ur weight.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote xcmikeyd08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 2:44pm
Definitely like the Capita,  a bit worried about customer service and the reviews I've read on dogfunk. Appreciate the recommendations!
Local
Local

Quote Alkasquawlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 2:50pm

Definitely like the Capita,  a bit worried about customer service and the reviews I've read on dogfunk. Appreciate the recommendations!

Really? C3 (Capita, Union, Coal) has one of, if not the best, customer service teams out there..
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 5:21pm
yeah, can vouch for C3's customer service. Read a story about a guy who had his brand new Capita/union setup stolen and C3 sent him new ones just because. Capita is legit and their customer service backs it
bwayne413 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bwayne413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 8:38pm
I haven't heard anything bad about Capita's customer service. Where did you hear that their service wasn't good?
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote xcmikeyd08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2013 at 10:04am
I want to keep the thread on topic, but because you asked, their "#1 selling board" has some recent reviews here that sub-par concerning customer service after a board snaps. Granted this is not the board that y'all are recommending.
http://www.dogfunk.com/capita-horrorscope-fk-snowboard
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2013 at 10:33am
^If you want something that is versatile that can handle all mountain and booters and have ride it down with a playful "chill"feel when you want to but also aggressive when you kick it into high gear I would suggest
a Lib tech TR pro with the C2 hybrid w/magne traction ,a board size of 153+ would suit your search or the bataleon airobic which is poppy with the camber profile but offers good edge control from the TBT.
Local
Local

Quote Alkasquawlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2013 at 10:44am

I want to keep the thread on topic, but because you asked, their "#1 selling board" has some recent reviews here that sub-par concerning customer service after a board snaps. Granted this is not the board that y'all are recommending.
http://www.dogfunk.com/capita-horrorscope-fk-snowboard

The Horrorscope is Capita's "street rail/urban/jib" board. Essentially, it's a very basic, soft, wood core snowboard that has a softer, more forgiving flex than a vast majority of boards on the market. Because of that, the majority of people riding them tend to abuse those boards on rails, jumps, rocks, etc more so than a board that isn't designed for that type of riding.

I guarantee you 90% of those people bitching and whining about their boards breaking and not getting a free replacement, broke their boards doing something stupid or outside the normal "threshold" of snowboarding. ie big drops onto rails, riding on concrete/metal, landing extremely tail/nose heavy off a big jump, etc 

Those types of damages done to a board are NOT covered under warranty programs, for ANY other company. If a board randomly delams, a sideall splits, or whatever, due to a manufacturing defect, Capita will most definitely take care of you. I wouldn't be worried at all about C3's warranty programs, and a few random reviews on the internet by people who are butthurt they didn't get a new free board after they broke their own shouldn't deter you.
 Post Reply Post Reply