Places to eat around Salt Lake City and Park City

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Places to eat around Salt Lake City and Park City
    Posted: May/14/2013 at 2:25pm
I'll be going to Park City for week during the summer and will be visiting Salt Lake City during the week as well. What are some "must eat" places around there? We will have small children with us and we're not looking for the ultra exclusive places. Just family-friendly places that locals like to go to. Or iconic places that tourists must try when they're there (like a Carnegie's Deli when in NYC, Voodoo Donuts when in Portland, Boudin Sourdough when in SF, etc.). Oh, and we're not into wine/alcohol. Thanks for any input!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 8:15am
Nobody has any suggestions? Cry I guess I'll have to rely on Yelp...
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 8:49am
Sorry L80 I usually eschew family-friendly and every suggestion I would have is basically a brewery. (BTW, don't get tap beer in SLC, I think it's 3.2%).  

-b
get bent
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 9:57am
Haha, I would of went straight to yelp anyways.  LOL  You'll have to ask locals for the hidden gems hot spots.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Haha, I would of went straight to yelp anyways.  LOL  You'll have to ask locals for the hidden gems hot spots.

well..i was hoping there would be a couple of SLC/Park City locals lurking here...

i don't always trust yelp because i've been to some highly ranked places that were dissapointing...the last time we went to SLC a few years ago, Red Iguana was the highest ranked mexican restaurant, there was a long line, even just for take-out...and it was some of the worst mexican food i've ever had...but, i guess i should have expected that..having had mexican food from texas to california, where the mexican population is closer to be the majority..compared to SLC where the finding a mexican is like finding a needle in a haystack...

i'm a non-white non-mormon...and my taste buds are different from most of the yelp reviewers that live in SLC/Park City...Tongue
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 11:09am
I guess you better find out what kind of food mormon people eat.  LOL  Or search up for one of those wacky food joints, pretty sure Utah has some out there.  LOL
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 11:28am
Hmm, I haven't been to Utah in quite a while.  And I can't remember where I ate while going through Salt Lake.

My only advice would be, come lunch time just go to where the parking lot is full of local vehicles.  Same thing with dinner/breakfast.

Other than that, maybe visit some Salt Lake forums and ask some locals.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 1:52pm
Moochies sandwich shop was on Diners, Dives and Drive ins. Its pretty good, they do meatball and Philly sandwiches.

Other than that there is not to many spots in SLC that are iconic to be honest.

So non iconic that are good are:

Cafe Rio- They have bomb ass smothered burritos
Cafe Zupas- Specialize in soups, salads, and sandwiches
Tucanos Brazilian grill- Really good, its Brazilian style if you've never had that. It's $23 a person, however worth it.

All in SLC
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 2:59pm
My friend is working in SLC since winter and he seems to keep going to Hash House A Go Go.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 6:26pm
Crown Burger for sure. We went to the orignal shop, but they have few now.

Cheeseburgers topped with pastrami, how can you go wrong. That's right, you cant.
Get into some fry sauce for your fries also.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 1:08pm
Thanks for the suggestions!

Cafe Rio and Crown Burger are looking good. But I'm not able to find any info on Hash House A Go Go in SLC...
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 1:32pm
Cafe Rio's BBQ pulled pork (some funny name to it like Barbekula or something) is the bomb.  Here, we have pretty decent prices and huge portion sizes.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 4:55pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scrHXwyLc0Q

So you know what your in for at Crown burger.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by lightning80

Cafe Rio and Crown Burger are looking good. But I'm not able to find any info on Hash House A Go Go in SLC...

Nevermind, that's Vegas.  My friend keeps on traveling whenever he's working in SLC so I get confused on locations.  LOL  Maybe there's a Steak n Shake out there.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 7:21am
Somehow I managed to forget Spedelli's sandwich/pizza shop, pretty much the go to place for all of the Pro Boarders that live in the area. The owner supports the local shredders pretty well. 

Ya Cafe Rios Sweet Pork burrito is pretty damn good.

Here's a review from Yelp on Spedelli's

Here is the one thing you have to know about Spedellis before you go there .... it was bought and opened by a pair of brothers that are  from the local snowboarding scene. Many of the employees are local up and coming riders and their friends. These guys obviously do not come from a huge customer service background  so you have to be a little patient with them at times. Its not that they are rude it  just may seem at times that they are aloof and not catering to your needs. Now if you are the kind of person that hates a waiter hovering over you as you eat you may really enjoy Spedellis but if you are a person that needs constant attention or wants to be baby sat during your meal you will leave annoyed. 

The food is great especially the red sauce that they use on their subs and pizzas. I have tried the fried cheese, french fries, a few of their pizzas, and the eggplant parm sandwich and my only complaint would be a for bit better quality bun on the sandwich. They have a handful of beers on tap and a good selection of beers in bottles and cans (cans are hip among the snowboard kids .. this is in regards to the earlier 1 star reviewer who obviously thought a can beneath him). The salads are good too. It would be easy for these guys to toss the average iceberg mix in a bowl with some dressing and call it a salad but they actually use fresh sliced peppers and spring style greens  with other goodies to create a bit better than anticipated dish. There are also a few good signature pizzas as well from local snowboarders like Bode Merrill and Jonas Carlson ( hence the "hot Carlson" pizza name .. again in reference to the one star reviewer who assumed it was a reference to the sex act .. wrong again one starer).  They have dollar beer specials along with other nightly specials and a standing 2 slices and a soda for $5 special.  

Although its owned, operated, and inhabited by the snow crowd there is always a sprinkling of "regular folks" in as well which is a testament to the fact that this is more than just a snowboarder fad, Ive even seen children's birthday parties in there. They do host snow related events in there from time to time so sometimes you can roll up and the place will be packed out the door.. if that happens and youre not coming for the event my advice is come back the next night instead because it can get nuts in there when there are art events, video premieres etc.

oh one last thing Brighton season passes get you 10% off!
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 8:45am

Originally posted by lightning80

Nevermind, that's Vegas.  My friend keeps on traveling whenever he's working in SLC so I get confused on locations.  LOL  Maybe there's a Steak n Shake out there.

just fyi, I think Hash House a Go Go is better in San Diego than Vegas. And the lines are not as long too
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 2:22pm
anybody eaten at blue iguana in park city?
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2013 at 4:42am
I've eaten at the Blue Iguana down town, its pretty good. They have some pretty unique Mole sauces
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 10:15am
I'm back from the Park City/Salt Lake City trip. Unfortunately, my family didn't want to go to any of the places that were recommended. A few of the places that we ended up eating and enjoyed:
Sammy's Bistro (Park City, found $10 lunch specials coupon in tourist info pamphlets)
La-Cai Noodle House (Salt Lake City)
Rumbi Island Grill (at the Gateway, Salt Lake City)

We also ate at the Copper Onion in Salt Lake City and Baja Canitna in Park City. These were just ok. The Full House Asian Bistro at Park City was pretty good, but not cheap.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 10:18am
If it was expensive then it better be good.  LOL  How come you didn't go to any of the recommended places?  
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 10:26am

If it was expensive then it better be good.  LOL  How come you didn't go to any of the recommended places?  

Part of it was location, part of it was timing. My parents also went with us, and they don't like fast food type places. So the burgers were out (plus we had in-n-out during the drive). I wanted to go to Cafe Rios, but we already had Mexican at Baja Cantina on our first day and they didn't want any more. It was harder to plan for food because they are more limited in the stuff they like to eat. And feeding so many mouths wasn't easy on the wallet either...
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2013 at 6:05pm
Ya it's tough enough planning a trip,let alone having to decide what you'll be close by to eat in advance. Cafe Rio seems to be growing pretty fast, so there's a chance one will open up near you. Looks like there is some in SoCAl now.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 9:40am
But L80 lives in NorCal, which makes driving to SLC probably closer.  LOL
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 9:50am

hmm...AMY, you need geography lessons...or at least learn how to use google maps...drive from sacramento to SLC is 9 hours...drive to LA is 6 hours.

Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 10:00am
Really?  I always thought driving to SF was like 8 hours.  LOL  I never go up north.  Well, you gotta add in LA traffic too so you gotta times it by 2 then.  LOL
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 10:42am
LA to SF is 5 hours..from where you are..probably add 1 hour if you take the 210 to the 5 and not hit traffic around pasadena (the right timing helps). Don't even bother trying to take the 60 or 10 to connect to the 5..you'll be sitting in that parking lot for hours.

Add 1 hour to get to Sacramento.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 10:56am
I'm situated at the 60 and 15 so I'm stuck in traffic regardless.  LOL
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 12:03pm

I'm situated at the 60 and 15 so I'm stuck in traffic regardless.  LOL

maybe you can take the 15 to the 210. i dunno..never driven that way...at least your close to vegas Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply