Washington Snowboarding-

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Washington Snowboarding-
    Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 5:33pm
There is a slight chance I will move to around Seattle area.  Wondering what is out there for ski resorts?  I am really excited that Whistler is only around 4 hour drive, and if I make it out there that will be a trip I will take.  What about the rest of the state, there are mountains around it, any good boarding in the area?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 5:41pm
you won't need to go to whistler to get the same type of terrain.  the main area out of seattle is steven's pass as far as I always hear.  you also have other options.. drive a little further and you can get to baker, which is world class terrain and snow conditions... whistler who?

you also have a few other great places like crystal for example.  washington is hands down one of the best places to ride in the world, with all the awesome northwest terrain and snow.
StoopheadFred View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote StoopheadFred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 6:04pm
Spenser has it right, Stevens is pretty much the place to be unless you want to go to baker. Snoqualmie is a glorified hill, alpental has some awesome terrain but to get there you've got to ride on the rickety old chair 2 where there's always a crazy and unorganized line on pow days.

Crystal has great terrain but a terrible vibe. Totally ski oriented and trying to claim that "resort" status.
2012/13 Lib Tech Jamie Lynn C3 (157) w/ 2009/10 Force SL
2012/13 Forum Manual Chillydawg (153) w/ 2012/13 Nitro Raiden Zero
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 7:45pm
yep, crystal has had a lot of negative publicity this year, and I'd heard about the vibe before.

Stevens is where you want to go.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote StoopheadFred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 9:55am
Big thing about riding here is that you've got to be ready to get out there within a day or two of a big dump. We sit right around freezing a good portion of the year, and when we get major dumps a lot of times temps will rise and turn that snow to rain or rain/snow mix that totally kills the powder feel.

Get used to checking the weather religiously, and then understand that sometimes the magical NW gifts us pow even when the forecast says rain and temps are in the mid to upper 30's.
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 10:38am
Awesome, good to hear.  I am surprised I have not heard of any of these mountains before.  Time to do some research.
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 11:12am
Vertical seems to be lacking, but if I move out there I will definitely have to check it out.  Lift tickets are reasonable and from what I can see looks like a nice place.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote StoopheadFred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 11:49am
Stat's definitely don't do the place justice. True there aren't any super long runs, but the terrain is what the place is about. I grew up riding here though so I may be a little bias.

Check out this movie done by the local crew. It's long, but it will give you a pretty good idea of the vibe and the riding out here at Stevens.

http://vimeo.com/54914617
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 11:53am
vertical is not lacking.   throw that idea out the window right now, because it doesn't matter.  you can't measure a mountain by how far down you travel on a run.  doesn't say a thing about the terrain, snow conditions, crowds, or anything that actually matters. some of the absolute best mountains out there don't have that much "vertical."  I would rather ride good terrain than have a 10-15 minute run down to the bottom through a swarm of skiers on a lame groomed run at an expensive bullshit resort.

go to stevens.  that is all.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 1:24pm
Speaking of vibes -- and I have not yet ridden the area except for Whistler, but I've been on a number of trips to the SEA area for work and stuff -- I've always encountered the "Seattle freeze."  Not that I'm always real friendly to strangers, I guess, but the locals just don't seem to warm up too fast . . . .  Spend some time there if you can before you commit to a lifetime.  

It surprised me at first but now whenever I'm in the area I just always write it off as what you expect from hipsters.  As far as quality of life the Seattle metro area is a huge throng of people -- which I generally hate -- but it seems like you can get outside of the masses relatively easy, so the devil may be in the details of where you life.  

For riding: the maritime snowpack is supposed to be always consistent and the terrain in the cascades (and the olympics too if you're into that) is world class.  MBHC!  Last time I was in town I drove to Tacoma to visit Northwest Snowboards, classic shop

They indicated this is a legit website that also has a bunch of helpful links:

And last, I'm interested in this thread because I have a north cascades trip planned (my wife and I are staying in a Baker cabin with some friends) just after New Years so I want to get this on the "my threads" column (I promise not to thread-jack you again commisar).  If anyone has intel on riding Baker or surrounding BC in early Jan hit me up.  

Good luck man!

-b

EDIT.  Here's a nice little MBHC article for some stoke!

get bent
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 1:35pm
I'm not from Seattle but whenever I go visit my friend there we always go hit up the local resorts.  We have tried Stevens, Crystal and Whistler.  Stevens isn't as nearly as big as Crystal or Whistler but it is my fav so far up there because of the cool vibe and it's not too crowded plus gets pretty pounded with freshies.  The thing I didn't like was getting to the park because the chair is fast and there's a massive drop just to get off.  Crystal is the state's largest resort but to get a decent long run you would have to connect to a bunch of other lifts so that's annoying and some trails are super narrow and flat plus add in all the crowd so I rate it the worst so far.  I haven't tried Snoqualmie but I heard it was super crowded and ghetto because it's the closet resort.  Whistler is massive but oddly crowded for its size and super expensive and people are always telling you to move out of the way even after you fall but I  guess they were being nice but that was kind of annoying.  My friend from Vancouver says he likes Cypress over Whistler.  All in all, I would stick to Stevens.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote StoopheadFred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

The thing I didn't like was getting to the park because the chair is fast and there's a massive drop just to get off.

This made me chuckle. Very true, the Brooks chair is older than a fossil and slow as shit. And you do have to nut up for that drop!

But no locs ride that chair unless you're looking to take a break and smoke a blunt. It used to be if you wanted to lap the park you would take Skyline and have to take "the chutes" to get to the park, which can be pretty hairy on a hardpack day with some chunder. I've eaten shit multiple times on that one. This used to keep the park relatively clear of goons and children, but unfortunately they have now made it so you can get to the park directly from Skyline without having to take the chutes.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote StoopheadFred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 5:53pm
And truthfully Stevens just isn't about park riding. If the park experience is what you're after, Snoqualmie has a high speed quad dedicated to their main park that will help you get a lot more laps in that you cab at Stevens.

But I saw a leak from the homie that Stevens will be getting a few rope towes for some high speed lapping! Pretty stoked on that one, suck it Minnesota!
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 6:41pm
I would prefer to stay away from the parks.  Here in the midwest we always end up at the parks because we get bored with the rest of the mountain.  I like taking long open rides.  Even after two week long trips to JH and one to Winter Park, I have yet to get into any real powder.

If I get out there I am sure I will be all over those mountains, at 1.5 hours from Seattle that is an easy day trip.  Have to get the job first, so until then Sundown Mountain it is... lol  And the vertical does say a lot about that place.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote StoopheadFred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 9:01pm
Yup, give me a shout if you make it out here and want to do some riding. Best of luck with the move.
killclimbz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 7:31am
Snoq's and Alpental are the closest to Seattle.  Stevens is a little over a two hour drive from what I remember.

Every year, I make a trip out to Washington and ride the backcountry mostly around Stevens Pass.  I've also been up to Baker and ridden some of the BC outside of the ski area.  Really, really awesome terrain in that state. 
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 1:32pm
One thing that I do like about WA resorts is the drive, it's a fairly easy drive.  If you're waiting for a massive dump, wait until Super Bowl weekend because I heard it's gonna dump like crazy again during the super bowl.  
Mr Hox View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Mr Hox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2013 at 10:21pm
Steven's is closer to a 1.5 hour drive if people don't freak out too much over the snow. Which, unfortunately, happens a bunch out here in seattle.

I grew up boarding Lake Tahoe resorts and after being up in Seattle for six years, I effing love it up here. Baker will be my favorite for sure, but it's distance from Seattle leaves it as a once a winter, three-day weekend sort of trip. I've had a season pass to Snoqualmie/Alpental for the last few seasons - as it's so damn close I could fit in a ton of days with work and all. Now that I have a much more casual job (brewery!) I got a pass to Steven's as the runs and vibe are second to none in the state. Always loved boarding up there. Crystal is nice, but really has an elitist vibe towards boarders.

If the comments here aren't enough, check out this video and see how awesome Steven's is:

http://vimeo.com/54914617
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote StoopheadFred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2013 at 2:55pm
^ I like your style brotha, but I do believe I beat ya to the Community link ;-)
killclimbz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2013 at 1:42pm
Up to 13ft of snow expected at Baker over the next 24 hours or so...
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2013 at 5:36pm
anybody ride crystal yesterday?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote StoopheadFred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2013 at 9:21pm
Yep, first gondola too.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote StoopheadFred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2013 at 10:03pm
And yes, it was shtooking awesome. Wish you all could have been there!
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2013 at 8:22pm
Dirty!!! Super jealous over here in IL...can't believe that is the first of OCtober!
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2013 at 9:19am
hells yeah!  Getting after it.

-b
get bent
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote StoopheadFred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2013 at 9:56am
Yeee! I know milutinho, I was so surprised at how good the snow was up top.

Also I feel like I owe it to Crystal to update my views on them. Obviously this event wasn't representative of your "every day" attitude here, but since there were so few people on the mountain you got to interact on a personal level with all the staff. They're all mellow and friendly people, and while skiing is clearly the dominant sport here no one was unaccepting or bad vibes directed towards me for boarding.

Full disclaimer: it may have been the fact that they had a keg at the top of the gondola that won me over. Stevens is still the place to be, but Crystal is atleast on my radar now.
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2013 at 1:01pm
That's awesome. I'm glad it was such a great time. I've been to Stevens and not crystal. Might have to give it a shit from your endorsement.
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2013 at 8:18pm
I ended up getting a season pass to Stevens, a lot of people I work with go there. Are you serious that you have already been boarding at crystal? Maybe I am missing something, but hadn't heard about any major snow dumps. Crystal is only about an hour from me.
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2013 at 3:51pm
Thanks to skidazzle I will be heading up to crystal shortly after thanksgiving. Free pass to use until the 20th. Also got about 4 $10 gift cards to liftopia and a bunch of other free stuff.
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2013 at 8:50am
We need snow!  Been to Stevens, Crystal, and White Pass.  Crystal is by far the best mountain, but right now stevens has the best snow.  White Pass was 0% challenging, good for a beginner maybe.  Crystal and white pass have a lot of exposed rocks and other debris, while the Stevens is pretty decent.

Wish some large dumps would come this way!
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2013 at 10:06am
Sounds like there might be hope for a bit of fresh this week.  Fingers crossed, I'm dragging my hamburger face up that way tomorrow to ride Baker for a couple days . . . .

-b
get bent
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2013 at 10:44am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

Sounds like there might be hope for a bit of fresh this week.  Fingers crossed, I'm dragging my hamburger face up that way tomorrow to ride Baker for a couple days . . . .
-b

Dude, i can't believe what happened to you! You looked like the bears not only woke up, but tried to cuddle! Recover fast and shred hard at Baker! Thumbs Up
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2013 at 2:47pm
I still prefer Stevens over Crystal any day even though Crystal is a way bigger mountain.  I am annoyed that you have to take so many different lifts up just to get decent length of a run and there's many narrow cliff runs with dead flat spots.  I think Steven also gets more snow than Crystal as well now.
ShastaStyle View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ShastaStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2014 at 4:48pm
Has any body ridden Stevens in the last week or so?  I'm heading up there on Friday, heard there has been a ton of snow dumping.
 Post Reply Post Reply