Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Union sizing advice
    Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 4:58am
Basically wondering if size 10 Nike ZF1's will fit ok in L/XL SL's? (got a line on some cheap ones) They are possibly too small but the ZF1's are pretty damn bulky...

Will they work?
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 5:25am
Should be fine in my opinion.

I had a pair a Salomon boots- 11.5 - that were super bulky.  I had to have my Union bindings set to all the largest settings just to accommodate them.  And the L/XL is supposed to fit up to size 14 boots.

If you had Burton boots with the shrink tech (smaller outer boot), then I would be concerned about the size 10 boot.  But if you say the Nike's are on the bulky side, I think they will fit great.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 10:41am
size 10 nike likes large force bases (stage 2) but medium can work, but I think you could do medium in the atlas (stage 3) bases, because they're slightly larger.  a lot of the reason size 10 ZF1s like large forces is just because the boot is a hair wide for the medium force tray, although I did have a friend with that exact combo and no problems.

and to clarify on the bulkiness, it's only the size around that is bulkier than some other companies, but the length is actually almost the same as a burton with shrinkage.  I have done tons of boot/binding fitting between burton, nike, and union (lots of requests to check sizing)
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 10:42am
I don't know what we have left for nike boots (new stuff isn't here yet) but I'll try to check.  I'll be there shortly.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 6:11pm
this might be kinda long so bear with me, haha.

so all we have left in 10 is the DK quickstrikes, which is a kaiju sole to my knowledge.  in reality, both size bindings work for nike 10s.  but if I were you, I'd go with the large, and here's why.... the width and length is fine, and you will have to adjust the heelcup in maybe one slot to center the boot over the width of the board, but it fits real nice.  not a bunch of extra space on the sides or anything.  the straps could potentially be a little long, but on the second smallest setting out of the box, they seemed to be good.  as you break them in you may have to move them to the smallest setting, but that's not an issue and won't make it weird at all.  now the reason I would not go with medium is just for adjustability.  it fits fine in the tray, although more of a snug (but good) fit than the large, but the binding disk is further toward the heel of the boot, even with the heelcup all the way out... this means that you'll have to use the binding disk to adjust the whole binding toward the heel edge of your board, in order to have equal toe and heel overhang.  the straps and everything fit, but because both sizes fit well, the large makes more sense since you have the proper ability to adjust them how you need them.  I would just keep the strap length in mind.  you should be fine, I'm not really concerned about it, you should just be aware that there's a slight chance of them settling in to be a hair too long, after riding them for a while.. it would probably take a lot of days though.  not that big a deal.  so maybe it's not even a concern at all, haha.

anyway, I say go for those L/XL binders
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 8:33pm
That was kinda long, but you're a legend for checking it out for me. Thanks man. L/XL it is. The reality is a get probably 20 days a year max, so it will take a while to stretch I'd guess.

Cheers Spenser
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 8:34pm
Have you ridden SL's Spenser? Comparison to feel of forces?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 8:41pm
which year are you talking about?  the older ones were force based, they got more cored out during the years, and then they switched to the stage 3 base

actually on that note, my answer depends on the year.  if it's the newer stage 3 base, the medium could work better, as they're a little wider and longer.  I can check with a pair of atlases tomorrow to see just how different it is.  most likely L/XL will still be good though.  if it's older ones with the stage 2 base, no worries.

I never had actual SLs, but I did have 2010 superpros which were force bases with SL highbacks.  basically it was an SL from that time, without the cored base, which only made it lighter.  they honestly rode like forces to me.  the SL isn't supposed to be much stiffer than a force at all, for example, it's just supposed to be extra light.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2013 at 2:33am
They are indeed the newer ones with stage 3 base. If you get a chance to have a look that would be awesome, but no probs if not. Yep, I thought they were basically lighter forces. Maybe the highbacks could be a bit less stiff by the looks of them...
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2013 at 8:01pm

Did you get a chance to check with the stage 3 bases by any chance?

Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 9:23pm
FYI, they fit easy. Heelcup in 1 notch, straps centre easily. Saweet.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2013 at 8:59pm
I like my boots to fit on the larger end of the bindings size range.
I wear size 8, so I like my bindings size range to fit boots 5-9 instead of bindings that fit 8-11.
I hate bindings that are bigger than my boots, feels weird. Feels like I can't translate power and flex through the bindings as well as bindings that just fits.
Just my preference.
11 Rome Artifact Rocker 147 / 12 Signal Vita Rocker 147 / 11 Ride Canvas 144 / 13 Union Rosa
sunnysn View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote sunnysn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2013 at 12:02am
There are some people in this world can live exceptionally wonderful life, music is not he is engaged in WOW Gold one after another unknown love to go, regardless of the outcome is good or bad, they seemed exhausted every effort to love each other, most operators Finally then re hurt, but also quickly recovered smartly waved toward the past to say goodbye, while there are some who love the time it was full of exhaustion. But maybe that is because it is too hard, to lose this relationship, they have no strength to go to fall in love with another person. Long to life, had a lover, a partner, other people want to get into their hearts, can only catch up. A really good time, obviously, you belong to the latter.
C4 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
aka cnr913

Quote C4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 11:15pm
So glad I found this thread. I am currently going through the same thing with my Nike/Unions and am a size 10 also. Know the 'ledge.
I break balls.
 Post Reply Post Reply