2 Staff | 20 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 397,902 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > Gear Talk : Ask other riders

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Chime in for opinions on first setup please!

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Force136 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Force136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chime in for opinions on first setup please!
    Posted: Oct/02/2013 at 6:19pm
So I've been snowboarding for a few years now, finally ready to get my own set.

height 5'10
weight 160lb

going with:

Sierra reverse crew + Rome S90 + Burton Moto

I'm more of a all mountain freestyle type of rider, prefer a little of everything.
is this a good setup to start off with? If not, any suggestions ?

Thanks
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2013 at 6:21pm
moto weren't the bets boot ever. they were my first boot though. pretty soft imo 
for fantastic outdoor deals, checkout:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/KelvinChung
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2013 at 6:28pm
check out the thrive renegade it's a great board, probably the best board out there for the price far better then a reverse crew, they're a newer company the boards are pressed by playmaker which is the same company that presses rome and nitro. 

S90 is a pretty decnt binding another good one to check out is the union force, union makes a great product I have a few pairs that have well over 100 days one them without any problems. 

I'm going to really suggest going with a better boot lower end burton stuff tends to be very sub par and those are going to lose their integrity really quick. whatever kind of boot you do end up getting make sure you go into a shop and try them on and remeber you want to get them about half a size small because they are going to pack out and fit looser then they did when they were new. 
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2013 at 6:51pm
^ To pile on... do not pick a boot without trying on many different makes and models.  See what feels best on your feet.  Personally I like Salomon boots.  To me they are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn.

Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2013 at 6:53pm
I echo the Thrive recommendation. The Thrive renegade will probably fit you supremely well and carry you through for many seasons to come. It can ride all conditions quite well and is most likely the only board you would ever need. I would suggest you move up to a stiffer boot for better ankle support. Give Flux bindings a try; the Rome 390 will be quite laborous to adjust to fit your boot, if it fits at all... the Flux TT TT30 would make the Rome 390 look like a waste of time. Flux bindings will lock your foot in perfectly and are super comfortable. Try them and see for yourself!
Force136 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Force136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2013 at 10:56pm
price is also a pretty big factor.
this setup come out to about $420 flat for everything.
i agree i can be more flexible in the boots department, but im a size 8, and they're usually out of stock
thrive looks really interesting
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2013 at 4:57am

^ If you shop around you can pick up a quality 2012-2013 setup for roughly the same amount.  Lots of deals out there on last season's gear which is a step up when you consider how old the Sierra RC is.

keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2013 at 8:27am
if you are price driven look also at dog____ they have ddiscount coupon if you sign up for newsletter.
for fantastic outdoor deals, checkout:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/KelvinChung
audfred View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote audfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2013 at 11:35am
Make sure the boots are comfortable! Nothing worse than pain/numbness on a perfect day. I tried on over 20 pairs of boots before purchasing. I think the extra time and effort was well worth it, because my boots fit and ride like a dream.
Force136 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Force136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2013 at 12:36pm
gotta admit all this is pretty overwhelming...
i just want a do-it-all board and the RC seemed to fit the bill nicely
I'm billing to spend the time on trying boots and dishing out a little more for it if I have to. Any recommendable brands ?
bindings im probably looking at Flux RK30 or Union DLX
board wise, im still clueless as to what to get. is Thrive really that good ?
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2013 at 7:35pm

Originally posted by Force136

gotta admit all this is pretty overwhelming... 
i just want a do-it-all board and the RC seemed to fit the bill nicely 
I'm billing to spend the time on trying boots and dishing out a little more for it if I have to. Any recommendable brands ? 
bindings im probably looking at Flux RK30 or Union DLX 
board wise, im still clueless as to what to get. is Thrive really that good ?
I had some foot-time on the Thrive Renegade last season and its performance was a pleasant surprise to me. The nicest surprise was that it had great bite when carving on hard snow and ice despite being so effortless to initiate turns-- an unusual trait for boards with reverse camber in them. Board flex and response is dead centre, right in the middle of all ranges of riding which is why I would say that it could be the only board you need to buy. Renegade advantages over the Sierra RC are better grip on crap snow and its length can be downsized to be more playful (easier to manipulate) without losing qualities like traction, stability, and response... this is a typical advantage for snowboards with hybrid camber profiles. It is also a twin tip snowboard, in case riding switch is an interest to you. Renegade 154 cm is the sweetspot for your given weight and boot size; very nice board for the money.

The RK30 is as soft as you can get from Flux. It is difficult for me to recommend the RK30 over the more versatile TT30 because the highback is made of urethane instead of nylon which makes it too soft. RK30 is popular for people who want that extra degree of flexibility and articulation to tweak or butter out their tricks, but shin support and response from heel to toe edges are lost. It will start to feel rubbery when you really lay into your carves with your weight. If you still want the RK30, look for the 2013 model; it gets two important upgrades over previous generations: a full footbed cushion, and a larger lighter and more supportive highback. I don't know what type of riding you like to do or how acrobatic you are on the snowboard, but the TT30 would be a great match for almost all riders.

The Union DLX is basically bargain bin parts, the lowest end product from Union. Personally, I'd try to aim higher at a more versatile binding so that you buy only one set of bindings as you progress and hone your riding technique.

milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2013 at 8:20pm
you're getting your first setup, this should be exciting not overwhelming...there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you wanted in your first post. a great first setup...there have been some good tips though from some posters...the s90 binding is alright but you can find much better for cheaper. burton custom bindings are good for beginners and can be found cheap same with the burton missions...i owned the moto boots myself and loved them but they are soft. capita also has some really nice boards with what you are looking for that you can find for decent prices like the Defenders of Awesome board. YES also has some nice boards that are on sale quite a bit, look for the Jackpot or Great Dudes...all good allmountain boards...don't be overwhelmed, be excited
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2013 at 12:34pm
It should be exciting, not overwhelming.
Your range should be at about 155-158.
Bindings: the DLX is made with Unions cheapest parts. But at that price range, they are probably the better bindings. RK30 is too soft. But if you like ultra soft bindings, go for it. If not, Go with Lux recommendation.
Board: true twin (twin shape and twin flex), and soft-mid to mid flex. Capita boards are awesome.
Boots: you will have to go try on as many as you can. Even if you try a pair that fits you like a glove but is over your budget, save up for them. Boots are the most important piece of gear. Foot pain = no fun. Moto is not a bad boot if it fits you, but it loses structural rigidity really fast and doesn't last very long.

If you're on a budget, try buying used boards and bindings.

If you're not too experience, too soft of a boot (Moto) with too soft of a bindings (RK30), will make you work hard to get the response that you need. You get used to it, but is tiring.
11 Rome Artifact Rocker 147 / 12 Signal Vita Rocker 147 / 11 Ride Canvas 144 / 13 Union Rosa
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2013 at 10:16am
I would opt for a lashed boot in lieu of a speed lace like the moto.   its difficult to get them tight enough. boots are extremely important
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Online Status: Online
  Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2013 at 9:33am
Originally posted by sixpoint

I would opt for a lashed boot in lieu of a speed lace like the moto.   its difficult to get them tight enough. boots are extremely important

Totally disagree, I rode the Burton Rulers with Speed Lace for a few years, I personally liked them a lot.

To answer the OP: like everyone else said, the boots are the most important part of your set up.  If the Moto's fit great, ride them. 

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with your set up.  I myself am thinking about picking up an RC for my beat around board to keep my main ride nice and pretty.  My old rock board is just beat, and i'm not ready to shell out for a nice new one. 

I can guarantee you something though:  mentally, your first set up is going to be the best one ever... cause it's yours! :)

Happy riding!
jihyungchun View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2013 at 6:48am
invest on some really good boots! The rest aren't as important as the boots lol
 Post Reply Post Reply