NHL 2013/2014 Forum

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 23456 10>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHL 2013/2014 Forum
    Posted: Jan/16/2014 at 2:35pm
Barely scraped by against the Sabres. Looking forward to the Habs on saturday.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2014 at 4:01pm
Big game tonight. Hawks vs Ducks. Ducks have been on fire lately but we all know Hawks can cool them down. Should be a good one. 
       ChiTown = CHICAGO
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2014 at 10:35am
Nice win for the Kings in St Louis on Thursday...good to see the offense win a game they should win.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2014 at 1:26am
That was a sick win against the Ducks. Hawks really showed up and played great. 
       ChiTown = CHICAGO
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2014 at 5:05am
Crazy start to the flames/nucks game. Full on line brawl from the puck drop. 188 total penalty minutes in the first.

Finally leafs busting out of the slump with 4th win.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2014 at 10:29am
should be a good game today Kings at Boston...looking for Kings to continue successful road trip besides being robbed in Detroit the other day.  Did anyone see the paly?  With a minute left the shot was deflected off the boundary netting behind the goal which should have killed the play.  Not only did all three refs miss the fact but the puck flew back and bounced of Quick's back into the net!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2014 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Von44

Crazy start to the flames/nucks game. Full on line brawl from the puck drop. 188 total penalty minutes in the first.

That was pretty epic. Still doesn't top the Islanders vs Penguins brawl that happened on 2-11-11. 

My Hawks actually won a fckin shootout! 
       ChiTown = CHICAGO
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2014 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by ChiTownRon

That was pretty epic. Still doesn't top the Islanders vs Penguins brawl that happened on 2-11-11. 

My Hawks actually won a fckin shootout! 
Yeah there's been some pretty memorable brawls but I don't remember one where a coach chased after the opposing coach to the dressing room during the intermission and caused a scene. I'd love to see Tort vs Roy!!! One of them is gonna die if they get together. Lol
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2014 at 4:55am
Pens got handled by FLA last night and their home streak is over.  They had plenty of chances early.  Pyatt is a big dude w some skills 
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2014 at 6:15am
Leafs riding a nice 5 game win streak. And it's back on the bandwagon!
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
agrigus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote agrigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2014 at 7:53am
is the west becoming too strong for the east? i mean yeah it's regular season and anything can happen in the playoffs, but i feel the west is outgrowing the east in talent and depth. I generally watch games in the western conference so i'm more aware of their play day in and day out so correct me if i'm wrong.

sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2014 at 11:47am

Leafs riding a nice 5 game win streak. And it's back on the bandwagon!

Must be due to Dion Phaneuf wearing a Red Bull hat (his personal sponsor) in post-game interviews instead of a Leafs hat...

Overall I think the West is stronger but anything can happen in the SC Finals.  An 8th seeded team can go all the way.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2014 at 12:07pm
Make that number 6 for the leafs. Only hotter team than them is surprisingly Columbus! They really want a playoff spot.

As for east vs west power, west def holding it down! I wouldn't say they have more talent but more depth for sure. More defensive minded and better goalies. But playoffs are a completely different beast. Anything can happen.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
agrigus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote agrigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2014 at 5:39pm
debatable saying the leafs and columbus are the two hottest teams currently in the NHL. i think the ducks deserve a healthily mention, along with the blues and the hawks. However, after the olympic break it's always like a brand new season and you never know what will happen or who gets hurt. In the end, it's all about who gets hot and stays hot throughout the playoffs.

go hawks and wish they could repeat but colorado, the ducks, and the blues definitely are all competitive and going to give it a solid run.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2014 at 11:50am
I'm talking about the hottest teams from week to week not the best teams overall. Yeah the ducks, hawks and blues are up there but none of them are playing better than Columbus right now. I would've put the leafs in that conversation too but not after a 7-1 thumping from the stars.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2014 at 6:07pm
Mannn Minnesota really outplayed us throughout the whole game with Keith being out last night. It was brutal. 
       ChiTown = CHICAGO
agrigus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote agrigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2014 at 2:33pm
It's a whole new season after the olympic break. Really excited to see the best of the best going at it. USA vs Canada again in the finals this year!
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2014 at 3:57am
^Yep that would be great.  Stars shut out the Pens 3-0.  Could not find the net. Dallas keeper has a huge game.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2014 at 10:52am
Im sure the Russian team will finds its way into the gold medal game with some helpful calls from the refs.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2014 at 11:02am
All of the refs but 1 are NHL referees as well as the linesmen, I don't think they will be playing favorites with the host country.

Among the referees, NHLers Dave Jackson, Mike Leggo, Brad Meier, Tim Peel, Kevin polish person Kelly Sutherland, and Ian Walsh are headed to Sochi. Sweden’s Marcus Vinnerborg, a one-time NHL referee, is also headed to Sochi.

As for the linesmen it’ll be Derek Amel, Lonnie Cameron, Greg Devorski, Brad Kovachik, Andy McElman, and Jesse Wilmot represent the league.

lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by sixpoint

^Yep that would be great.  Stars shut out the Pens 3-0.  Could not find the net. Dallas keeper has a huge game.

The stars have outscored their opponents 14-1 in the last 3 games. The goaltending has been great, but their scoring is on beast mode. Too bad they're still out on 10th seed and will need a good push in the 2nd half of the season to get in the playoffs...
agrigus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote agrigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2014 at 4:52pm
how do you guys feel about the outdoor games? i mean it's great to watch on tv, but who has been to a game and enjoyed it? i have tickets for one of them this year and feel that even with good seats you're still extremely far from the action.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2014 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by agrigus

how do you guys feel about the outdoor games? i mean it's great to watch on tv, but who has been to a game and enjoyed it? i have tickets for one of them this year and feel that even with good seats you're still extremely far from the action.

We already talked about this and people have mix feelings about it. I think personally it's awesome for them to have outdoor games. After all how do you think hockey started.......on a frozen pond. So for them to go back to their roots for a couple games is fine with me. I'm sure view from the seats aren't that great, but when you watch the games on tv it looks sweet.  I'm still all for outdoor games. 
       ChiTown = CHICAGO
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2014 at 11:48am
Originally posted by sideways99

All of the refs but 1 are NHL referees as well as the linesmen, I don't think they will be playing favorites with the host country.

Among the referees, NHLers Dave Jackson, Mike Leggo, Brad Meier, Tim Peel, Kevin polish person Kelly Sutherland, and Ian Walsh are headed to Sochi. Sweden’s Marcus Vinnerborg, a one-time NHL referee, is also headed to Sochi.

As for the linesmen it’ll be Derek Amel, Lonnie Cameron, Greg Devorski, Brad Kovachik, Andy McElman, and Jesse Wilmot represent the league.

Are you saying refs or judges in the Olympics can't be bribed? All it takes is the right amount of persuasion.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2014 at 8:21am
man the kings are struggling to score...but defense is still solid...I still like them to make a run but might need to make a trade or something because last year the lack of scoring cost them in the end...
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2014 at 12:45pm
Jeez, how many outdoor games are there gonna be? Rangers holding back to back gms at Yankee stadium. 1 or 2 is fine but this is overkill IMO.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2014 at 2:44pm

Jeez, how many outdoor games are there gonna be? Rangers holding back to back gms at Yankee stadium. 1 or 2 is fine but this is overkill IMO.

Agree.  Somewhere in this thread I said the NHL is scheduling too many outdoor games which takes away some of the special/exclusive feeling it has.  
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2014 at 5:50pm
How the hell is that too many? Seriously, out of the amount of games they play in a season, less then ten games outdoors is no where near too many. It's not like 1 team is playing in every single game that's scheduled outdoors. Unlike some of you, people do want to experience an outdoor live game. 
       ChiTown = CHICAGO
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2014 at 5:28am
^ Just my opinion, no need to get your panties in a wad.  My point is the more outdoor games the NHL schedules the less of an event it becomes.  They are saturating the product.  I like hockey more than any other organized large scale sport (played hockey most of my life) and enjoy watching 1 or 2 outdoors games each season.  When the number of games increases to 6, 7 or more it becomes common and is no longer a "must see" event. 
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2014 at 6:12am
I'm not getting any panties in a wad. I'm clearly stating my opinion as well. I can see where you're going at, but it's still a small amount of games being played outdoors. With more teams also partaking, the fans will get a better chance to see their team get picked to play an outdoor game.  You have to realize majority of fans do not cover all of the NHL teams. When it comes down to it though, it's still a hockey game that's going to be played regardless where they play it. If you feel the prestige isn't there, then just don't watch it. 
       ChiTown = CHICAGO
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2014 at 6:21am
i missed the Kings/Ducks game at Dodger stadium as I was on a surfing trip...anyone see it and how did it come off?
agrigus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote agrigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2014 at 9:08am
kings/ducks game was good, ducks won in a shootout if i remember correctly. It was such a late game (due to the west coast and the warmer weather) that it was hard to stay up through after a long day in the midwest and i would suppose east coast.

However, regarding the comments about all these outdoor games, I think that let them have as many outdoor games as they want. I would much rather pay less for an outdoor game because it's not as prestigious because frankly ticket prices for games here in Chicago and other cities are becoming too expensive. I'm a graduate student who doesn't have $200 to spend for a pair of tickets (cheap nosebleeds/SRO) on a regular basis. Going a couple times a year is nearly a financial burden and a big commitment to ask of others. As of now, the tickets for outdoor games are insanely expensive (although i splurged for a pair) but maybe in the near future since the outdoor stadium can hold 2-3x more people it can be as cheap as regular season baseball tickets.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2014 at 10:49am
Dreadful first period by the leafs last night. Great the woke up and lit the lamp after that but wish they could play a solid 60 mins.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2014 at 9:21am
kings lose again...getting ugly...they shoot 35 times and get blanked and only give up 11 shots and lose.  this has been the story for over 3 weeks...
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2014 at 3:31am
2-1 Revenge win in OT for the Pens vs Ottawa last night. Save by Fleury in the 3rd period was off the charts.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2014 at 12:56pm
After giving Buffalo a 7-1 beatdown on Saturday the Avs pull off a nice 2-1 OT win against the Devils last night.  Rangers tonight and Flyers on Thursday.

Colorado has 77 points which would put them in 1st in the Eastern Atlantic and 2nd in the Eastern Metropolitan... but since the West is so damned strong 77 points is only good for 3rd in the Western Central division.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2014 at 6:54pm
Leafs just don't have their legs going tonight. Just 10 mins to tie it up and send it to OT.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2014 at 7:42am
Avs were about as flat as a team can get in last night's 5-1 loss to the Rangers.  Even Patty Roy looked uninspired behind the bench.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2014 at 5:26am
Hawks shutout the Ducks last night. Seems like we have been playing really well against them so far. Looks like we have one more game and then it's olympic hockey time. That's going to be really interesting. USA baby!
       ChiTown = CHICAGO
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2014 at 5:47am
^ I just hope no one gets injured playing in the Olympics, especially the few Avs players that are going.  Also hope no one gets sick from the poorly planned sewage system, possible food problems, building problems, etc.  Sochi is a disaster.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2014 at 3:28pm

^ I just hope no one gets injured playing in the Olympics, especially the few Avs players that are going.  Also hope no one gets sick from the poorly planned sewage system, possible food problems, building problems, etc.  Sochi is a disaster.
Yeah, Leafs got Kessel and JVR on the US team. Hope they don't get sick either, we need them healthy after the Olympics to keep the Leafs in the playoff spot.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2014 at 3:33pm
Man the Sharks need to wake up... lots of half assed-ness going on. Way too many mistakes. 
Barely squeaked out that win.  
agrigus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote agrigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2014 at 6:46pm
at least hockey players have no problem doing anything without privacy, i've been reading about the conditions at the games and it's seriously pitiful that the olympics committee could let this happen. I would think they would oversee the construction and make sure everything would be up to their "code."

On a positive note, hawks always have played relatively well on the road and especially into long road trips. They bond very well and think they lose all the distractions of family, friends, and focus on playing hockey. Do any of the other cities see an improvement in their team's play during long trips?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2014 at 5:45am
Originally posted by agrigus

at least hockey players have no problem doing anything without privacy, i've been reading about the conditions at the games and it's seriously pitiful that the olympics committee could let this happen. I would think they would oversee the construction and make sure everything would be up to their "code."

IOC loves bribes.  Mother Russia loves paying bribes.  Put 'em together and you get the shitty Sochi Winter Olympics.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2014 at 8:25am
Hawks traded a 2014 4th round pick for NY Islander's forwards  Peter Regin and Pierre-Marc Bouchard.  I'm liking this move. It should help us out in the long run once playoffs show up. 
       ChiTown = CHICAGO
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2014 at 8:48am
Great to hear St.Louis was Stamkos' replacement for the team canada. Wouldn't be surprised if he carries this team.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2014 at 10:41am
Penguin Kris Letang (almost 27 years old) suffered a stroke last week?  Wow...  Team officials say he will be out for 6 weeks while being treated with blood thinners and the stroke is not expected to threaten his career.
agrigus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote agrigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2014 at 12:52pm

Penguin Kris Letang (almost 27 years old) suffered a stroke last week?  Wow...  Team officials say he will be out for 6 weeks while being treated with blood thinners and the stroke is not expected to threaten his career.

that's crazy! especially for someone in great shape. does anyone know the inside scoop on him and if he's into drugs or anything?
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2014 at 4:48am
Word is he is one of the strongest players in the NHL for his size. His workouts are insane. I also thought abut the drug possibility. He signed for 58 million last summer so assume him to be clean
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2014 at 10:27am
First big trade before the deadline, Buffalo sends Ryan Miller and Steve Ott to St. Louis in exchange for Jaroslav Halak, Chris Stewart, prospect William Carrier, 2015 1st round pick and 2016 3rd round pick.  Blues get stronger in net although Halak (24-9-4, 2.23 GAA, .917 SV%) and Brian Elliot (15-5-2, 2.08 GAA, .917 SV%) aren't slouches.

Speaking of Buffalo Pat LaFontaine abruptly resigned as president of hockey operations.

Blackhawks beat the Penguins 5-1 outdoors at Soldier Field.  Quite a snowy game.  Good to see Chicago thump Pitt and Cindy Crosby - a Western Conference team will take the Stanley Cup again this season.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>