Captain's Log 2014 (Rider's Log)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 8>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain's Log 2014 (Rider's Log)
    Posted: Nov/08/2013 at 7:10pm
if you don't know, this is a rider's log.  share your daily snowboard nonsense from wherever you're at in the world.  photos and video strongly encouraged!

day one in the books for us.  bluebird and a bit of powzer!  stoked.  had some beers, rode some little lines.. super fun, and felt super good.  you can only ride about half way down before it gets too thin... a couple more feet and we will really have some good riding.  opening day will probably be at the end of the month, as long as it doesn't not-snow.

I have more photos and also a video coming later, but here's my favorite shot of the day that I got of my friend phil... pretty much sums it up.  this is the top half of the off-ramp, right after we got to the top.

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2013 at 7:33pm
snow looks good...is that the "I'm drunk as sh*t" face or what?
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2013 at 8:50pm
10 days deep already. 1 day boot packing, 3 days on the splitboard, 7 at resorts (Loveland, keystone, Breck, abasin). 
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2013 at 2:49am
couple more and a little video

https://vimeo.com/78977382

Monteno1@hotmail.com View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Monteno1@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2013 at 10:09am
Looks like a blast. Where is this at?
I'm just sayin'....
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2013 at 11:41am
our local ski area called Eaglecrest on Douglas island, in Juneau Alaska.
sandman88 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Baldy

Quote sandman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2013 at 6:37pm
Waiting for mt high to open!!
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2013 at 12:25pm
Awww I've been so out of it I didn't even know the thread got re-upped!  I'm on day zero, and there is basically no hope for any significant snow accumulation in Tahoe (but my fingers remain crossed).  Good work everybody else I can't wait to catch up.  

In the meantime I'm posting my Kronicle reader photo everywhere because that is all I have:

-b
get bent
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2013 at 12:26pm
Nice, Bryman! Get some!
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2013 at 2:04pm
B! shiz dude, that's awesome!

So far, only the one little hiking day for me this year in mid-oct.  I only took a few runs down a little booter hill in 5-6 inches of heavy snow with less than zero base... but it was a lot of fun.  my current avatar is from that day.  

I also got a little cheapo brand "go pro" style camera, so i'm hopefully going to be making some edits this season.  I made a few from that day as a goof, and it was petty entertaining.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2013 at 11:54am
Hey Bryman : that was Epic when you posted that on the 2013 thread..  You should do a reddux with "Matilda" Clap
Fear is the Mind Killer
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2013 at 11:58am
And btw : did you know there will be a new ENTERPRISE aircraft carrier(Ford class): just throwing it out there..
Fear is the Mind Killer
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2013 at 3:06pm
Haha, that looks like a nice beer ad picture and no shave November.  LOL  So lucky to have so much snow already so early in the season.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2013 at 4:20pm
great photos.

At least some snow is falling B
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2013 at 3:50pm
Logged back in just to find this thread! anyhow, Loon opened 2 weekends ago. Waterville opens this weekend. Scored a job there for the winter as well ill be your lifty. Cannon is slated to open next friday. Havent gotten any days in yet since football season literally just ended, im going to pickup my gear over the thanksgiving break. Super pumped! Gonna get a ton of days this year!Thumbs Up
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2013 at 3:59pm
Can't wait until Saturday. Although it most likely won't be as epic as Spenser's first trip :(
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2013 at 11:09am
4 Days in- all at Mammoth. Heading up this weekend again. Getting a little snow this week so hopefully more runs are open :) 

Its not fun unless its sketchy
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2013 at 12:54pm
how many runs were open at Mammoth?
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2013 at 3:34pm
like 5? its only main that's open and facelift is the highest chair that operates. We just stayed in the park. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2013 at 3:45pm
There's officially snow in my yard now. Come on Saturday!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2013 at 1:47am
day 2. lots more snow than last time. was pretty heavy on the way up but dried out in the cold air by the time we took the final run, so we got some pretty good quality powder. split with jerms, phil, and bri. took some photos and video on the way up on a couple areas. lots of goofy stuff :)

https://vimeo.com/80181121

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2013 at 7:02pm
few photos from yesterday as well.

jerms setting up his shot.  hopefully he posts some photos, there have to be some good ones!

the first spot we shot/filmed phil and bri

everyone splitting.  we have a skier on our team this year named julian who is pretty sick, he was in at least one of my videos last year.  title had something to do with sloths I think... he's the one on a touring setup.  just happend to run into us while we were at that first spot.

kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2013 at 9:52am
Man, wondering when we'll get a good dump in Mammoth. Awesome to see some pow runs though! Did day 5 and 6 over the weekend at Mammoth. Here's a few of my runs from this weekend. Its a bit sloppy but its early season still and hopefully I can clean it up during the season. 

Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2013 at 12:03pm
Kirium, dude are you hitting Mammoth up every weekend or what?  That's quite the drive.  
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2013 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Kirium, dude are you hitting Mammoth up every weekend or what?  That's quite the drive.  

I'm making plans to be there with my lady the weekend of December 7 -- hit me up if y'alls are gonna be there

-b
get bent
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2013 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

I'm making plans to be there with my lady the weekend of December 7 -- hit me up if y'alls are gonna be there

-b

Its been every weekend this month. But now that MtH and Bear are open, I'll be alternating weeks. Damn, I'm staying local on December 7. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 4:57am
got another day in on tuesday with the boys.  went to an area we hadn't been to before, and it was a hoot.  mashed tater snow, a little sticky, but real fun.

dylan on the way up

and we had smoked salmon sandwiches for lunch :)

Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 3:26pm
Yum!! The smoked salmon looks fantastic!! Was it homemade?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 4:40pm
Dylan fishes in the summer for a living, so most likely it was part of his take-home catch, and I think he usually gives it to the local guys here who process meats, since he comes home with so much.

smoked salmon is always great... it's one of my top 3 favorite foods.  Jeremy got a smoker this past summer, and I would like to have one for next summer myself... and a vacuum sealer
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 5:44pm
that salmon photo brings back good memories of my summer spent in Seward.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 6:23pm
Seward is a beautiful place.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 10:45pm
sick edits man, im lovin the salmon too! Looks like ill be out on the mountain getting some time in next week if i dont have to run the lifts. Cant wait!
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 7:43am
Looking good.  Day 1.  We're still dry in Tahoe (good mtb conditions, actually) but since they did the work to open a white ribbon of death at the local hill for the holiday we got up yesterday with friends and shredded the bunny hill.  Mostly we hung out at the bar.  The highlight was helping my friend's two-year old get his first runs on skis, he was ripping.  As you can see from this fantastically whimsical photo of me taking a cell phone shot of my wife . . . the steeps are still a little bony.  

Day one

-b
get bent
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2013 at 11:58pm
Can't wait to make it out there for Day 1.  I've got the Tahoe Local pass this year, so probably be hitting up Northstar mostly.  Thanks Spenser for starting this thread up again, I knew to look for it and you didn't disappoint.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2013 at 4:45am
Got day 1 in yesterday. Happy camper
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2013 at 7:16am
First day of the season for us.  Only rode 4 hours. Addicted once again
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2013 at 12:38pm
Day 7-10 spent in Mammoth. More lifts opened up but still in dire need of a good dump. Here's a few pictures:

From Facelift

Jump in Main 

FS 3

shredtilimdead12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Early Morning Groomers @ Snowshoe Mtn

Quote shredtilimdead12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2013 at 2:04pm
Got day 1 in after black Friday shopping. Went up to App Ski Mtn for their midnight blast session (5pm - midnight for $27). Only a few slopes were open so I took the time to finally improve my switch riding. Overall a fun trip with family and friends.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2013 at 3:18pm
Well, 2 days this weekend (White Friday & Saturday) up at RL for me.
Weird, dry powdery snow (consistency of salt or something), but a really killer solid base underneath.  Feeling good about the season.

Day 1 I hit up the Cole Creek lift for some double blacks and a work out.  I rode my new Thrive Renegade, as there are some bare spots still in places.  The board was super poppy, but it was a little sluggish edge to edge on that first day.  Time will tell on this board.

Day 2 I was riding with Fred on mostly greens.  She started right where she left off last year!  we were on blues in no time.  I'm hoping for her to gain some confidence and speed to hit the good stuff on the backside of the mountain by the new year.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2013 at 11:45pm
phil got a full-page photo in the local paper on monday, "arching a backflip" as the caption said, haha.  it was taken by one of the paper's photographers.

let's keep in mind this is splitboarding.  just an extra little bit of rad.

humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2013 at 11:25am
Got Day 1 of riding! The sun was shining and it felt like spring riding. It was super cold in town and warmer on the mountain so I took off my jacket (like everyone else) and enjoyed a great day in the park.
Can't wait for it to start dumping snow!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2013 at 11:30am
Wow, awesome picture!  What was the article about?  
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2013 at 6:24pm
it's just the picture, no article.  the caption just says it's phil england "arching a backflip," and goes on to talk about how people are hiking before the lifts open for the season, and blah blah blah no patrol on duty and be careful and that whole schpiel.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2013 at 11:15am
If I were Phil, I would head down to the paper and buy a plate.  When I worked at our Newspaper here, you could pay like $5-10 and get a copy of the aluminum plates that they etch with a laser to put in the printing presses.  It's a pretty sweet momento.

Honestly, I'm not sure what his "arched backflip" was, but damn that's a friggin sweet pic.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2013 at 11:55am
Yeah, that would be an awesome momento to keep and show your grandkids in the future.  
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2013 at 5:00pm
Day 1 today...finally. Drove up to cascade in Wisconsin. It was like 6 degrees but it was sunny and had some good broskis that came along. There were literally 10 cars in the parking lot...we were doing laps all day. Three of us drank a bottle of moonshine and then just chilled.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2013 at 10:30pm
Well day 1. Flew solo. everyone else had class today, and the only other person who could have went didnt have his gear up yet so that left me by myself. but i wasnt missing my first chance to get up there. Went to Cannon, dont have my pass for Waterville yet, but still only paid 7.50 and a quarter tank of gas so im not complaining. The mountain is in desperate need of a dump. but theyre talking about snow tonight, and on Monday so that will help. It was a little icey up top and the vis was absolute crap. The snow quality and vis did get better as i got closer to the bottom. they were blowing snow all day but a dump give them a real nice boost. Took a few pics, but dont have any action shots. 

Saw this as i was on the chair and immediately thought i was in for a long day...
First Run
The View

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2013 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by JDiggidy

If I were Phil, I would head down to the paper and buy a plate.  When I worked at our Newspaper here, you could pay like $5-10 and get a copy of the aluminum plates that they etch with a laser to put in the printing presses.  It's a pretty sweet momento.

Honestly, I'm not sure what his "arched backflip" was, but damn that's a friggin sweet pic.
haha it's just that, an arched backflip. I wouldn't have used the word arched, but that's a newspaper for ya
ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2013 at 5:12am
Such a good thread. Now I just want to board it up and eat smoked salmon. I never tried it smoked before. 
       ChiTown = CHICAGO
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2013 at 7:21am
Originally posted by ChiTownRon

Such a good thread. Now I just want to board it up and eat smoked salmon. I never tried it smoked before. 

Where is the endless supply of sashimi you must have been digging into if you've never had smoked salmon? I want to go to there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>