Captain's Log 2014 (Rider's Log)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 678

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain's Log 2014 (Rider's Log)
    Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

since it was all of their bails, I have a feeling it misrepresents the riding slightly.  If all the falls I take were put into a video I'd look awful too, though that wouldn't be a misrepresentation...

Yeah, he always does this first of just fails and then works on a Part 2 where we actually land the tricks. 

Originally posted by Piranha

some pretty nasty slams in there.  Not gonna say they suck, but it does appear the people in the vid aren't setting up properly for the jumps (snowboard addiction lessons are in order).  Gotta applaud your effort, though...I wouldn't have even tried most of that stuff

We have a big group (15 people) so the skill levels on this vid vary widely with some learning just how to straight air or 50/50 while others are trying more advanced tricks, but we all eventually landed our respective fails (except me at 2:32, that accidental inversion was the last time I tried to hit Main Park this season). So you're right, some have more room for improving for sure. 

I'll post up the Part 2 when he finishes. 
Its not fun unless its sketchy
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 1:48pm

since it was all of their bails, I have a feeling it misrepresents the riding slightly.  If all the falls I take were put into a video I'd look awful too, though that wouldn't be a misrepresentation...

+1

I have taken some spectacular falls over the years, which would probably make a better video than my riding...
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2014 at 11:52am

very true...

I was a little worried with the start with slow mo, and maybe slightly overused in my opinion, but nice edit overall.
jeffmcneelio View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2014 at 6:32am
ThrowbackThursday...
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2014 at 12:22pm
Here is a few pictures from one of my highlights at the end of the 2013 season. We had some great spring conditions. We hiked to the peak at Snowbasin in Utah, and found a steep chute to get the adrenaline up. ... Can't wait to get the 2014 season started!
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2014 at 1:36pm
Still waiting for part 2.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2014 at 4:52am

x_X
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2014 at 4:59am

well accidentally flagged my own post.  That's a great way to start the morning.
can't get any of the videos to upload to this site anymore so I posted a few at thrive
or here
just been going through stuff getting excited for the winter!  Snowmaking has begun and looking for some snow in the mountains tonight.  Strange to get excited for a small strip of death every year...

Instagram @ nfinit100

x_X
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2014 at 12:57pm
First 2 youtube videos the link doesn't work, but 3rd one works fine.  
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2014 at 1:10pm
Oops. Thanks. Fixed.
x_X
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2014 at 1:13pm
Links works fine now, where is this at anyways?  I miss snow...
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2014 at 2:16pm
The sleds are mostly Idaho Wyoming and Colorado. Ski and snowboard varied from Colorado Wyoming and British Columbia

It was a great year. Hope another one is in front of us.
x_X
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2014 at 10:54am
Damn, you certainly traveled nicely!  
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2014 at 2:31pm
It was a great year. Most every year we make trips to jackson and aspen to visit family. BC was ridiculously awesome. Would like to make it an annual trip as well. Nothing quite like it. It'll be hard to beat last year. Hit Jackson during a record snow month. It was just awesome. Looking forward to the upcoming season for sure.
x_X
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 5:18pm
Damn, it must be nice to have family near resorts.  LOL  Jackson is on my to do list that's for sure.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 9:06pm
cool sledding vid!

BC and Jackson are high on my list as well...had a friend move to Jackson and she just loved it.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 6:17am
Jackson is definitely one of the better places to go when the snow is good.  They've added a new chairlift that gained access to more intermediate terrain making it more friendly to those who aren't quite used to it.  They have another lift opening next season.  It would be hard for me to choose between Jackson and Revelstoke though.  
x_X
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 11:30am
I haven't gone to any resorts out east/middle but if I ever do then it would be Jackson.
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 12:57pm
Ahhhh the season itch is beginning. Can't wait!
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 1:09pm
You guys see this bracket : Ski town throwdown.

http://www.powder.com/ski-town-throwdown-iii/

Fear is the Mind Killer
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 1:36pm
i have to object to any list that puts Aspen and Jackson as 2/7 as they are probably top 4 resorts in the states.  Then mount washington beats revelstoke??  more like a popularity contest.
x_X
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 1:42pm
Powder Mag (skier's Mag?) but even with that, I though Revelstoke had the steepest chutes in BC vs Mt Washington 
Fear is the Mind Killer
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 6:19am
Has anyone been riding yet this year? If so, where at?
Powder Mtn. in Utah still has another 50 days until it opens.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 6:50am
Pow Mow is one of the last to open because they don't blow any snow
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 8:13am
Revelstoke is awesome, but losing in a first round to any resort just destroys the validity of the poll.  Aspen and Jackson should be in the poll till close to the end as well.  I'm not saying they are the absolute best, but I would ask someone to tell me a better resort than Jackson in the US, an aspen isn't far behind.  

Only resort I know that's open is Abasin - bunch of people riding the limited open stuff, but I think I'll wait another couple weeks.  Hopefully a lot changes!
x_X
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 9:27am

Revelstoke is awesome, but losing in a first round to any resort just destroys the validity of the poll.  Aspen and Jackson should be in the poll till close to the end as well.  I'm not saying they are the absolute best, but I would ask someone to tell me a better resort than Jackson in the US, an aspen isn't far behind.  
Only resort I know that's open is Abasin - bunch of people riding the limited open stuff, but I think I'll wait another couple weeks.  Hopefully a lot changes!
I'd be happy riding some limited stuff to get some early runs in this year. Although, the local news showed Abasin riders coming down the mountain and you could hear the fake snow scrapping loudly under the skis/boards. . still couldn't help but feel a little like taking a ten hour drive to check out Abasin.
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 9:29am
about pow mow opening last. . . I wish I had thought of that before grabbing the season pass. Once Dec hits everything will be alright! sucks playing this waiting game though. Maybe I will get some early runs in at Brighton or Snowbird when they open. They usually open up first I think.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 10:53am
Originally posted by jeffmcneelio

about pow mow opening last. . . I wish I had thought of that before grabbing the season pass. Once Dec hits everything will be alright! sucks playing this waiting game though. Maybe I will get some early runs in at Brighton or Snowbird when they open. They usually open up first I think.

Ya I have stopped considering the resorts above Ogden including Basin until mid December, the storms always seem to hit Cottonwood Canyons first.
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 11:14am
I envy the Cottonwood Canyons elevation. I would be up there every weekend if I could afford the time/gas/lift ticket haha. . just a few things slowing me down there. It takes me 30 min to get to Basin so that's been home for a few years now.
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 6:01am
Throwback Thursday! (@ Snowbasin, Ut Feb2013)
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 6:22am
Throwback Thursday
Wish I had some stuff from this year! Just a few more weeks hopefully.
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 6:25am
Does anyone still post pictures and stuff on this thread anymore? I want to get some more content going on here!
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 7:01am
Well once the season starts someone generally creates a new year "captains log". Since this is still a previous season it's mainly just old stuff now. People will show up more once it starts snowing somewhere besides PNW.
x_X
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 7:23am
At this time last year, I had already hiked a day of heavy wet fall snow an hit a little kicker a few times.  This year.... Not a single flake has fallen yet and stayed around in all but the highest elevations in the mountains. 

On page one of this thread I mentioned it was going to be a good year... and last year was beyond epic.  I have a bad feeling about this year now. 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 7:26am
That makes sense, thanks for the heads up! I'm still getting 75 degree days here in Utah. Not wanted to get discouraged but that's just crazy! We need the precip here.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 7:55am
i've lived in colorado all my life, either western or the front range.  October isn't a time to worry about snowfall or the weather.  If the issue still persists into Dec, then I get some concern.  But overall a bad snow year hear is still far better than a bad year in most anywhere else.  We tend to at least keep the snow we get for most of the winter.  

While I wish we had snow like BC and PNW, I'll take a late start to a great season any day =)  I am staying optimistic.  Got the snowmobiles in tow today getting a new wrap put on and some other minor stuff.  So i need somewhere ride soon.
x_X
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 8:39am
Colorado is great, I got my start there. You have a height advantage on us here is Utah. Its true, I probably shouldn't be worrying about the snowfall this early. You may have just convinced me to hang onto that season pass! I don't want to miss out on the season but I have one other thing putting doubt in my mind (work may pull me away for a month to Virginia in January) .. if I can skirt that issue I should be good to go. Cyclically I think we should be due for another heavy snowfall winter. Its been a couple years now for Utah. Have fun getting the snowmobiles ready for the season! That's exciting stuff, enjoy!
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 8:44am
What happens here (South Central Montana), is that the October and early November snows make a base for the mountains.  The snow that falls is usually wetter and heavier, so it can really make a "season long" base in only a few key storms.  Once it hits December, our air is so dry, that the snow that falls is super light and fluffy... with no bottom.  So you'll be smokin down through 6 inches of fluff... and catch an edge on a rock that's only 3 inches tall. 

This is what happened to us two years ago, all the Oct snow melted in early Nov.  The best parts of the mountain never opened a single day as a result. (too many snags, trees, rocks, etc...)

Now, if the wet heavy still comes late, and the dry fluffy still rolls in... forget everything I just typed. Wink
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 10:22am
montana sounds a lot better than here.  We tend to get snow early, it's fairly light and unstable.  Can either freeze solid or give a granular base.  Then we stack a few feet of snow on top of it.  Around mid February the wind will load some areas or we'll get people sparking some nice avalanches everywhere.  All of the movies and REI commercials show the backcountry as this area of endless powder that is fun and free for everyone willing to get to the top.  Movies give the appearance that airbags are the only safety measure you need, and a radio to tell your buddies you're dropping in.  If an avalanche comes just ride it out or pull your airbag...

then reality steps in and the real danger comes in to play.  there's my rant.  Now lets all take some avalanche safety courses and educate ourselves in proper ways to survive.  I also advocate backup measures like airbags, beacons, shovels, probes etc....but a tool is no good if you don't know how to use it.
x_X
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2014 at 7:07am
Part of me wants to start training/learning all the backcountry skills necessary to "safely" get into backcountry riding. I just can't get myself to commit to the cost of all the required gear. Obviously, I won't make any moves until I've got the gear. . . Someday I'll switch from getting season passes to the freedom of riding anywhere my legs can take me, but this is looking to still be several years out.
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 11:49am
Snow if finally falling in the Ogden/SLC area of Utah! Keep it coming!
k-brew View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote k-brew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2014 at 5:25pm
Yeah loving that Colorado is starting to get dumped on and that the bases are building up early. Can't wait for Breckinridge and keystone this season. Stoked to dust the gear off and hit some fresh pow
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2014 at 6:32pm
Thats for sure! Time to tune up the board. . tried to get a new one this year but car troubles halted that for one season.
madsnake View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote madsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2014 at 8:36pm
im from aus and am hitting up colorado for a week in mid dec. where do you guys recommend riding early in the season with the best chance of getting snow? 
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 7:21am
A-basin was the first to open this year. They started making snow awhile back. Its probably a great base by now. I'm not from the area so there are prob some guys with better advice. I've been there and liked the mountina. My suggestion, is A-Basin. You might want to look into that first.
Keystone is another one of my favorites there.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2014 at 7:37am
early season colorado is typically better at the high elevation resorts (loveland and abasin).  Neither offer lodging very close so you will need a rental car.  Last week most i70 resorts received between 25-40" of new snow.  If the weather stays cool, this will allow many resorts to open reasonable terrain.  If you are coming before the holidays (Dec-20-Jan 4th) then you can likely still get good deals and I would check the local mountains before arrival.  Best recommendations for terrain and snow, with amenities, would be Breck, Copper, Vail, and WP.  Steamboat is doing pretty well too, but off the beaten path a bit.
x_X
madsnake View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote madsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2014 at 1:48am
  thats great, thanks for the info. we were thinking about hitting vail but havent booked anything yet so will look into the others as well. we will be there the week before the holidays but havent really seen any specials so we were going to go through air bnb as it seems to be much cheaper. looks like most mountains have a free shuttle as well?   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678