Captain's Log 2014 (Rider's Log)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 23456 8>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain's Log 2014 (Rider's Log)
    Posted: Jan/15/2014 at 10:27am
Originally posted by shwazy

All I can say is thank god for surf...
that's for sure.  I haven't gone to the mtn yet this season, but I have been getting some great surf instead.  The weather and waves have been great...I'm hopefully going this weekend.

yes, our seasons seem to be later than the east coast.  Last year was the worst season I've ever experienced.  We only got three smallish dumps: two back to back in dec and one in late march.  There wasn't enough base under either of them to ride all the features in the glades.

2011-12 actually had less snow than 2012-13, but most of it fell near the end of the season and those dumps were plenty deep. There were some super fun "full access" days.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2014 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by kirium81

[

sounds like you're in accounting? tax?

Yup, tax which sucks because I can't go on long trips so I can only probably do a long ski season in like New Zealand or something under the equator.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2014 at 4:36am
day 14, new phoenix C3 160... lotsafun.  warm, super soft, super fast, and thick hotpow spring-mash off trail.  really fun day.. jammed around with all the dudes.

couple screenshots... dylan with a beer, and evan's back 3

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2014 at 9:35am
Good stuff spenser.  I spent the long weekend getting after it on my MTB to prove the point that shtook YOU WINTER WE DON'T NEED YOU ANYWAY.  Shocked

But seriously when we complain about conditions here I guess it's tempered by the fact that we're getting bluebird spring conditions at the mountain.  And the groomers are actually really nice, just a little frustrated we're not using all of our fancy backcountry equipment these days.  

Saturday was Day 9 with the wife at the local hill.  Coincidentally, she got adult braces last week . . . guess she's not going to join the marines for a while

Grip and grin selfie grimaces:

@brymans photo

-b
get bent
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2014 at 2:52pm
Our resort got 7"
I'll be there opening morning on Saturday. There won't be anything left of the snow, but at least the base will be good.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2014 at 5:06pm
day 17 in the rain with jerms and ryan... wettest day so far, for sure, and we've had some wet ones as always.  snow was real fast and soft though, so we lapped the east side for fun spring-style riding.  lots of turning and tripods and silly things.  also had as many beers as we had runs, I think.  it may be pissing rain this week, but we still have the most snow in the country.

jerms and I on the chair

ryan standing by the eagle's nest ("warming hut") at the top, next to a pond surrounding the base of the building.  his board is about 5" underwater...

)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2014 at 5:16am
i'll bite, most snow in the country?  is that in reference to the summit base?
x_X
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2014 at 12:36pm
Day 10.  I still haven't grabbed a screenshot of Day 9's riding last week, so it's awesomeness is still waiting to get posted.  And boy was it great!

But back to 10.  Another pow day in the sun.  A few inches overnight led to nice softness all day.  Place was empty, and I found some new little trails and access points too.

It was very serene up there... above the fog in the valleys. 

During my Old Man Laps to end the day, I got my 5th first track of the day... at 2:30 in the afternoon.  A little offshoot area of the easy lift we call North Beach. (the run is Miami Beach, and this is on the north side of it.  yep, not very unique!)

Talk about bluebird. 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2014 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

i'll bite, most snow in the country?  is that in reference to the summit base?

Sheit, I thought it was a drug reference

Looks nice out there diggity!

-b  

P.S. Spenser will you please use "informer" in your next edit?  I would do it but, well, no shredding at the moment
get bent
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2014 at 1:51pm
A Licky Boom-boom Down!

Now that will be in my head for the rest of the day. LOL
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2014 at 8:56pm
I don't know what informer is

our snow pack is the deepest in the country according to "the numbers."  we're down to 130 something after the rain, but according to today's numbers, that's about 22" more than the others.  obviously has nothing to do with fresh snow... but hopefully that will pick up in about a week

edit: hah.... informer.  I do know the song, just didn't know the name.
capncone View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote capncone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2014 at 1:42pm
Days 12 & 13: A great two days over here! Finally got to really ride some powder, jump off some cliffs, fall... There's still not much of a base so riding in the trees was basically 8 inches to 1 foot of powder on top of bare ground, but out in the open it was niccee! Saturday I went up and rode La Clusaz with a friend and some of his friends. Unfortunately the day got cut short when one of the guys I was riding with fell and twisted up his leg, but we still got plenty in. Then today I did a little half day at Le Semnoz, the little local mountain. The park was set up so that you could go off, ride some powder, drop a cliff, and then rejoin it partway through. Good times. Hope everyone had similar fun on their weekends.

Hors-piste at La Clusaz

End of the day Saturday :(

Bad quality screenshot from the only video I took today.

Pngo12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Pngo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2014 at 10:21pm
Man crazy... Some of you guys consider your conditions "shit" while over in socal were barely hanging on... So jealous!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2014 at 6:56am
Had a great weekend in northern MI, snow was falling the entire weekend.  Found stashes of untouched snow - up to 2 feet - at Boyne Highlands (YTD 130"), Nubs Nob (YTD 102") and Caberfae Peaks (YTD 127"), which isn't easy to find in MI.  Had to duck a few ropes to get to the good stuff which eventually got tracked, so we went out and found more...  Will post up some photos later tonight.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2014 at 9:35am
Nice shots, capncone I hope your bro in the sled turns out OK.  And unofficial claims eaglecrest as the deepest in the U.S., although technically I'm not sure you all count as the U.S., so that's a fact!

http://unofficialnetworks.com/ski-area-deepest-snowpack-128147/

-b
get bent
capncone View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote capncone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2014 at 1:44pm
Thanks Bryman! I think he should be fine, it didn't seem to serious and he was up hobbling about later that night. In other news, however I'm starting to feel a little cursed. Had another man go down today (Day 14, or maybe more appropriately 13½) but this time it was the wrist. Kind of bizarre that I had a snowboarder get a knee/ankle injury and then a skier get a wrist injury, as it's usually the other way around, but accidents happen. He got taken in for some X-rays and everything turned out ok; just a cast for three weeks, and nothing broken or torn. It's the left hand, too so it won't be too inhibiting. Still... Somewhat spooky.

Only pic of the day :(

AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2014 at 4:37pm
So Day 4 was yesterday... kinda low for me this time of year. but expect the days to start rolling in... I get out of class at 10 mondays and wednesdays. and have friday and the weekends off so i expect at least 2 days a week from here on out. 

Great day, flew solo, but that dont matter bluebird not a cloud in the sky. I was also on my brand new gnu carbon credit. Board rode like a dream! im very happy with it! Spent some time in the park again. i think ive got the bug! I still like my turns on the groomers tho!

this run isn't open yet. but when it is open it absolutely rips!
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2014 at 5:19am
Where are the Tahoe shred pics? I'm stuck in NOLA for a conference, which is actually cool, and I pull up this page to seek people shredding the white stuff I'm missing, and . . . nothing? C'mon people, get after it!

-b
get bent
Pngo12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Pngo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2014 at 4:43pm
AJD that looks awesome... I'd take pics of my resort but its all slush and dirt lol. Finally able to hit a boardslide on rails and doing it pretty consistently. I would say it was day 15 yesterday?
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2014 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Pngo12

AJD that looks awesome... I'd take pics of my resort but its all slush and dirt lol. Finally able to hit a boardslide on rails and doing it pretty consistently. I would say it was day 15 yesterday?

Thanks man! Not bad for an Ice Coast mountain is it? The mountain itself is fully open, but their quality is top notch right now... They did have what looks like a water main break on one of the snow making lines that they fixed... that whole part of the run was covered in a sheet of ice. didnt look like it was from riding either...
motoxninja80 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2014 at 11:12am
I Went riding at Massanutten last weekend. There was quite a bit of snow (at least for a mountain in Southern Virginia) and it was a high of 40 degrees. I met a couple of the local riders and we filmed some footage in the terrain park. It was a change of pace as I had been in Colorado two weeks before. But it was so much fun.
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2014 at 2:15pm
The Flowrider in the Massanutten water park is cool. Our mountain should be getting between 10 to 18 inches over tonight and tomorrow.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2014 at 5:27pm
well day 5 was yesterday... POW DAY! No pics i was having so much fun. Very crowded though, puking snow the entire day, can't say enough about how awesome it was. The Carbon Credit did awesome, despite my lackluster pow riding skills... I put most of my spills on technique. None the less great day tons of pow, tons of people too. but still awesome. 

Day 6 is probably tomorrow. if not definitely monday.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2014 at 9:16pm
still no new snow, although the forecast looks promising again.. but Ryan and I were inspired by a recent webisode (below mine), and decided to ride our fishes today.  it was a blast!

ryan

and the other video..

Mr8iggins View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Hi.

Quote Mr8iggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2014 at 2:02pm
Day 1 was yesterday at Mt Hood Meadows, and I think that was the best snow Meadows is going to see this season. Knee-deep tree runs with new tracks every time and the main runs were constantly being recovered by the 6-8 inches that fell all day.
capncone View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote capncone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2014 at 7:25am
Glad to see you guys are getting some snow over there, Mr8iggins. Where were you riding? Is Heather even open? Is Skibowl even fully open yet? I've been kind of keeping an eye on the weather a little bit and it's looked like a prettty dry season there.

Have you seen this video, Spenser?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NytY1QfvjVM

For me, days 17 & 18 were powdderrr! Rode at a resort nearby on Saturday. I was supposed to meet up with a buddy in the afternoon but the conditions got pretty bad in the afternoon so he didn't end up making it. And by pretty bad, I mean total whiteout. I actually rode off a little 4 or 5 foot drop accidentally at one point because I couldn't see where I was going. Luckily there was powder at the bottom. 

They have a free air bag in the park which was super fun. Only got about 4 jumps on it before they shut down due to weather, but it was super fun. I'm not used to the park/big booters like that so it was cool to get to try it out.

Morning on Saturday:

Aaaand last run down:

Heading up Sunday:

Lunch spot at the top: 

And here's a little video I threw together, pretty much just the raw clips from Sunday. No crazy riding, but some nice terrain and nice powder:

Anyone wanna clue me in on how to embed Vimeo videos?

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2014 at 2:37pm
And . . . Tahoe finally got hammered with the white stuff.  It was a combo of rain/snow all over the basin at different times and elevations, bottom line is that everything above 8k has a few feet of Sierra-cement-type heavy pow, everything under 6k got a ton of rain and between those elevations is hit-or-miss.  Good base for the BC now we need some real snow.  

I got three days on snow!  Today was Day 12, great powder day at Mt. Rose, what a relief to get out for some pow laps.  They were closed yesterday and I don't think they ran the lifts on Saturday, so me and 200 of my closest friends had the hill to ourselves and it was awesome.  Rode the hovercraft, which I waxed this a.m., and finally had the best time ever on it because I rocked the stance out as wide as it goes -- I found the sweet spot.  What a fun board.  I had been feeling (the last time I rode it in pow which was last season) like the stance was too skinny and I had too much nose, but when I pulled my binder I only had one more set of holes to move it forward.  And on the back I was also just one off the end so I figured I'd just max it out (wonder why they have it set so skinny in the first place . . . guess that's a powder board thing).  It was way good today in every condition I hit, which included heavy pow, wind buff, chunder, groomers, etc., much more control and still seemed like more float than I'd ever need.

Yesterday I rode with the wife at Diamond Peak for a couple hours.  It was raining and, duh, isothermic at the bottom but the top half of the hill was real nice and we got some good turns in the trees even though it was a total blizzard.  Totally worth the effort to get out through the wet stuff and enjoy some fun pow turns with her in the trees.  

And Saturday was the beginning of the storm, we drove all the way to the top of the crest because the snow levels were so high.  Took the splitters out for a glorified snow-shoe around the castle peak BC.  Never got on anything steep because of the high danger but hiked some mini-golf, practiced split-skiing, and generally enjoyed being outside.  

-b
get bent
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2014 at 2:39pm
Capncone's vimeo video:

(And instructions for next time)

-b
get bent
Pngo12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Pngo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2014 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

Capncone's vimeo video:
(And instructions for next time)
-b

This is Tahoe right now? That's amazing, I've gotta get out there!! Will be hitting Mammoth in April, today is the last day of their BOGO on Facebook so claim your coupons guys!!
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2014 at 4:16pm
^^^ naw bro, that's some video I embedded above from Capncone, who to my understanding is riding some high-falutant stuff over in Europe

-b

P.S.  However, now that I've watched the video, I'd add that Tahoe is at least that good after our storm this weekend.  
get bent
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2014 at 5:17pm
Day 6! Changed it up went to Waterville today. Definitely a different experience... and they got a big boy park too... I didnt think it was that big, boy was i wrong... Some stuff that might make the best sh*t their pants. Anyways made my way to the smaller park did alright, they had some fun stuff. Completely tacoed a rail doing a backside boardslide... Ouch My ribs and knees are a little sore, but a good day, the conditions were excellent! heres some pics of the big park.

kinda bad pick of the rail garden from the lift.

and the jumps
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2014 at 5:45am
hard to tell how big that park is, but looks decent for east coast.  

we have been getting hit pretty well lately with storms, hopefully the trend continues.  it has been quite welcomed after the last couple years.  Already have close to as many days in as all of last year.  this last weekend was some of the best snow of the season with many places over a foot and a refresh over night.  keep it coming!
x_X
lotechpeter View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote lotechpeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2014 at 8:03am
Days 5 and 6 Tahoe! Snow but really wet snow and rain, the snow level shifted around.
Rode on Sunday at Northstar snowing up top and raining at the bottom, had fun but we got really soaked
Yesterday at sugarbowl was beautiful, a little warmer than expected,

I can't wait for another storm that is colder
capncone View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote capncone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2014 at 8:30am
Thanks for that, Bryman. Show us some Tahoe footage! You're right, the snow here is definitely way more pretentious than in the US. Takes some getting used to. And speaking of snow, I had a pretty great day yesterday. Best conditions of the year so far.

Here's another video from the clips I took. I know, I know, lots of skiers, but that's who I was riding with and I did the majority of the filming. Plus I'm only posting this to brag about the conditions Big smile

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2014 at 8:23pm
Should've ridden through the storm on this one.  The higher elevation sierra nevada resorts got multiple feet from this last storm, but we only got 15 inches...and to make matters worse, the snow we did get got rained on just before I got there. 

The morning I arrived had an unrideably thick layer of hard snow over the "pow" that never softened, despite highs exceeding 50 deg.  However, it was bluebird and, by 11 o'clock, people had scraped up enough shredable slush for some fun...but, with only about 4 trails open, even that got old pretty quick.

On the plus side, I picked up my season pass (so I don't have to do any paperwork the morning of any cold storms) and dialed in some new equipment...not a total loss (although I would rather have been surfing).

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2014 at 4:22pm
day 24 on the phoenixcamberz.  FINALLY SNOWING AGAIN!  the radio has been saying up to 17" by tomorrow morning.  only got an inch of blower overnight, dumping all morning while I was there.. probably 2-3 more inches in that time and still going.  stoked.  wasn't even close to enough this morning to reset everything, so it was another groomer day... but with much better whiteroom sprays.

phil and his safety goggles

pow town!

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2014 at 10:57am
didn't even notice that doob...what an ingenious hiding place
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2014 at 5:08pm
he rode with it for a bit before we had a meeting on the chair, hah

today was mega powzery.  we got a foot of blower overnight, all on top of the frozen crap we've had off the groomers for a couple weeks now... it was awesome and crappy all at once, haha.   awesome overall. good to ride pow again.  just reminds me though... not really a fan of blower, as crazy as most people apparently think that is.  powder with a little weight to it really makes a huge difference in the way things ride.  maybe it's just cause I'm a northwest baby...

AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2014 at 5:18pm
the pics do it no justice... that park is just huge... theres easily 50 foot gaps on some of those jumps. the bigger jumps are in this area called the boneyard, but i couldnt get any pics bec it's covered by trees

Okay, day 7 was wednesday. So every year my school gives us a day off school it go ride. Beautiful blue bird day with great conditions. Rode from 10am-3:30. I dont really have any pics, but it looks the same as most of my other ones lol. 

Was working at Waterville today... Such a shame... they got a foot and a half of snow last night, and its still snowing... Working all weekend, but hopefully if this storm works out for tuesday night, ill have another pow day on wednesday... not sure if i wanna go monday because of the holiday... We'll see i definitely have the itch though. 

When are you tahoe guys gonna start booking trips to ride the pow?
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2014 at 7:47am
Hopefully Tahoe is getting a refresh next week, we now have a mini base!  

Day 13 yesterday for V-Day with the misses in the mt. rose backcountry, did a couple slushy laps with the dogs

And yes I know the riding in this vid is lame but I was psyched to try leaving the camera in one place and fading the riders/objects in for a kind of time lapse.  

-b
get bent
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2014 at 8:15am
Prop for using the Tune-Yards in your vid.  Seen them live?
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2014 at 8:20am
Unfortunately no, but I hear that merrill is a force of nature

-b
get bent
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2014 at 4:33pm
Day 14.  After a couple days of wind and rain in Reno we were wondering what happened to all our snow in the mountains.  I head there might be a couple inches over the crest/on the west side of the lake, so my wife and I headed up to Rubicon with another splitboarder from incline who took our avy class with us a couple years ago.  We thought Rubicon might be better than the other places because the start is a little higher and there was awful rain/ice at lake level.  It was good there, with probably 4-6" of wind buff pow, deeper in many spots.  And the wind died down on the hike up and it turned into a classic tahoe bluebird day.  We were the first people up there and there weren't many, surprisingly.  

rubicon

Doesn't sound like this week is going to pan out as expected, but we're keeping the fingers crossed.  

-b
get bent
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2014 at 6:28pm
come east... we have plenty of pow on tap! and we're getting more tuesday night! day 8 will hopefully be a pow day on wednesday! im not going up tomorrow to ride in the holiday trash... wednesday will still be crowded, because all the mass people are up on february break... theyll probably try to get me to work while im there... not happening.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2014 at 9:48pm
nice shot bry!  looks really nice out there.

the last three days were wild... a foot of blower on top of the frozen mountain on friday, 8" of heavy wet stuff on top of that on saturday, and 6" on top of that today, of the most perfect powzer, with bright overcast/snowing weather.  got 2ft deep creamy untouched pow lines in the steep woods on repeat, all morning before work. so good to SNOWboard again, and so damn good to ride the fish in deep snow again.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2014 at 5:27am
put another day at snowmass, day 36 i think, and a couple runs at copper this weekend.  weather has been really weird.  snowmass light was so flat almost couldn't tell what was under my feet, made for a good day of getting use to random bumps.  once the upper half of the mountain opened (after half day wind hold) the trees rode really well.  I love that mountain.  Too bad the temps were way too warm for this time of year.  Turned a week of snow into a great base, but now we need snow again.

there is a fine line between great light and fluffy stuff and heavy cement.  though the light and fluffy stuff is great at times, i prefer to have a mix of both.  Especially from a stability standpoint.  I envy those in AK and CA for the outstanding base the snow provides.  Here it can be quite a gamble once you leave the resort...at least until spring.

sketchy tree well spenser.

jealous of the lines from both CA and AK.  the only lines we had yesterday were lift lines, bad enough we bailed from copper after 2 runs.  
x_X
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2014 at 9:00am
Three great days after our mountain got about 16" of fresh snow. Spent a lot of time in the woods, riding berms and fresh fields of snow. Busy weekend but never had to wait on line more than a few minutes. Best weekend in a couple of years. Have a Lib Tech Hot Knife arriving tomorrow for our more common hardpack/ice conditions.
motoxninja80 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2014 at 11:13am
Went riding on Friday after we got 18 inches of snow at the mountain. Sunny sky and good snow, although it turned to slush late in the day.
I also rode sunday and it was still pretty good conditions as well.
Finished editing footage from the day, and so far it's turning out pretty good
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2014 at 12:23pm
Went to Sierra@Tahoe yesterday. Crowd wasn't too crazy packed. The new rendition there makes Sierra looks a little classier.
The snow...ice ice ice. Tahoe needs another storm bad and colder temps.
11 Rome Artifact Rocker 147 / 12 Signal Vita Rocker 147 / 11 Ride Canvas 144 / 13 Union Rosa
Pngo12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Pngo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2014 at 3:06pm
Man.... I'm just going to be browsing this thread for hte rest of the season. My local mountain will be closed by the end of this week for the season.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>