Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 45678>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
motoxninja80 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vail

Online Status: Offline
  Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain's Log 2014 (Rider's Log)
    Posted: Mar/18/2014 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Piranha

wish we'd get at least one more dump this season

Yesterday was i think the last heavy snowfall of the year here in Virginia. I'm just glad I could take advantage of it.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2014 at 9:23am
^^^ is that a #frothpuppy your homie is riding Spenser?  Have seen some social media from dave downing on those and they look like fun.  I'm hoping there are some new decks waiting for me to try out in the gear room at baldface next week, that's high on my list

-b
get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2014 at 10:11pm
it's a trick pony 54, haven't heard anything about a frothpuppy

day 42, on the fish again.  6" more in the last day so it was a little deeper still, and the sun even made an appearance!  they also opened the ridge after a few days of being closed, and we rolled up to the top of the lift right after it had opened and got some of the first lines on some stuff further away.... so creamy.. holy moly

hikin' out with the eaglecrest GM, captainryan, and jerms

jerms

and this toward the bottom (also jerms).  didn't realize til we were in the car that the song came on my headphones.. had a good laugh.  maybe it's only funny to us?

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2014 at 5:21pm
day 43, on the beast.  awesome morning... it was getting moist toward the end of yesterday and got colder last night.. I was afraid it would freeze.  but... it recrystallized and was perfect!  and bluebird!  mostly tracked out in bounds, but under the chair that wasn't open the last two days was full of creamy little lines.  really fun.. rode with my friend bri, who rides for the shop, but she had to get a real job this year and has barely gotten to ride.  first day in over a month!

filmed a few clips of her

and some screenshots

sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2014 at 7:43am
^ Photos and videos are awesome as always, spenser.

Days 46 and 47 last weekend at Beaver Creek, need to upload some photos.  Rose Bowl got tracked early both days so we spent quite a bit of time on Grouse Mtn.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2014 at 11:52am
^^blue, blue, blue...man, I could use some of that right now
capncone View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote capncone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2014 at 4:21pm
Day 32 — After a two week heat-wave, I got a powder day and a chance to try out my brand new (to me) 2005 Fish! Just for fun I guess I'll give a little mini review of that along with my recount: I've ridden pretty much nothing but my Sierrascope for the past 4 years, so that's about all I can compare it to. It definitely took me some adjusting to get used to the different ride, but I had a blast on it! Because of a lack of base I unfortunately didn't really get to take it where I feel like it would excel, slashing around in the trees. Still, once I got a little more confident and started trusting it, I dropped a few cliffs and absolutely stomped them. Nothing too huge, but on drops big enough where I'd normally have to really try not to wash out on the Sierrascope, I rode away no problem. Can't wait to take it out on some bigger cliffs now that I'm getting used to it. Tried spinning it a little, which gave me some problems. It's a little heavy and just has an odd spinning feel because of the asymmetrical shape (heavy, big nose, light, small tail) but then again, I'm not a super advanced freestyle rider. Still, definitely more of a freeride than a freestyle board.

On the groomers when I was heading back to the chair it rode nicely. It's a little stiff, so when it hits chop I got bounced around a little, but that also had to do with visibility issues. It's full camber and carves much better than my Sierrascope, but despite the camber it still has great float. I'd love to try an S-Rocker Fish now and see how it compares.

Overall super happy with my purchase. Can't wait to take it out once it gets deep again!

The snow conditions were pretty variable today. They got over a foot of snow in some places, but since it had been so hot some of the time it was powder on top of ice. Snow base has also been a problem this whole year, and the heat didn't help, so I hit a few rocks and sticks. That being said, in the places where it was good (out from under the trees, up higher) it was good. Visibility was an issue, as usual, but it was still totally rideable. Just a little hard to tell what was what sometimes. Overall a super sweet day, especially since it was probably the last pow day of the season. Although I've said that before, so we'll see.

Whew. That's a lot of text. Here's some pictures.

Tracks...

And tracks and tracks

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2014 at 1:05pm
Good stuff team.  Got out for Day 23 with the wife on Sunday, hiked incline lake peak.  The coverage is surprisingly good, actually great conditions up there.  Here she is digging the heel edge into some hero corn:

photo 20140322_125712_zpsnmakwif_edit_1395786167734_zpsp96r26pi.jpg

I'm pumped for Baldface this week (leaving Wednesday) and of course since I'm leaving town it looks like Tahoe's going to get dumped on this weekend -- you're welcome everybody!

-b
get bent
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2014 at 7:18pm
Alright, Day 12: Beautiful Hardpack day. Was working the jump line today... Wasn't really feeling to well today, so i stayed away from the rails. had the bubble guts all day long... I was having fun, getting the hang of some grabs. Over shot one jump and landed in the ditch between the next jump... Holy crap ive never been so scared almost pooped myself... luckily i loosened up the legs and let the board take the brunt of it, and slid to a stop fun stuff. also threw my first 180 of the quarter pipe today too, wasnt very smooth but i did it. going again wednesday hopefully.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2014 at 7:26am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

I'm pumped for Baldface this week (leaving Wednesday) and of course since I'm leaving town it looks like Tahoe's going to get dumped on this weekend -- you're welcome everybody!

-b

I am expecting photos and video from Baldface, including one of a strategically placed "ctoma legit" sticker.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2014 at 10:34am
^^^ it is my sincere intention to stick it where it counts

-b
get bent
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2014 at 1:12pm
got dumped with a foot of good quality, cold, relatively dry snow.  Mtn was deserted, so I rode solo through the nuking storm all day. 

Next morning was bluebird and still good and cold - super fast, high performance snow. However, even though it was almost knee deep in spots, I could still feel the icey bottom on super deep turns.  Fresh tracks all day.  Warmed up/slowed down a little after noon, but still awesome...second best day of the year (which doesn't mean much considering our base is next to nothing due to the drought)

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2014 at 6:14pm
snow looks amazing ^

day 45, on the billy goat from the future.  sun and spring groomers with some fun side hits, but mostly going as fast as possible and putting 'er to the carve test.  did some snazzy toeside euros to backwards/switch carve back to regular, and surfy roller airs landing in toeside euros.. that was a fun one.  billy goat.  yay.

here is a slide from the other day too, taken from the lift... so mega, and this is just the upper part on the right side of the area.  that's our go-to splitboard area, and the whole zone went, up to 8ft deep down to a layer from january.  crazy.

highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2014 at 4:26am
March 25 2014 . Va. can get some big storms courtesy of Noreasters. Usually these storms have real heavy dense wet snow. We usually have to go out to West Va to get blower pow around the Mid -Atlantic. This spring storm was an exception .. 1 1/2 to 2 inch an hour snowfall all day during operating hours and a great way to end the season . Less than 20 people on the hill all day and free refills on this areas best runs.  Time to chase some waves on the Outer Banks
http://vimeo.com/90080059

Frothers..

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2014 at 10:16am
^vid looked like a ton of fun. Faceshots-o-rama. I love riding in blizzard conditions...although I prefer the option to get in the glades. 

^^incredible avalanche shot, spence.  That mtn looks so gnarly.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2014 at 11:56am
gnarly avy picture indeed.
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local
Sella Nevea Italy 2012: I-FREE Finals - Italian Freeride Circuit

Quote Boarderin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2014 at 12:17pm
That is one insane slide Spenser! How sketchy is it to see something that massive in a place you call home you know! 
I dig the log idea :) Was out in some soggy snow trying to learn to drop rocks without closing my eyes :D 
Will try to upload a pic ...
Learn to snowboard. Cuz life's too short to waste it...                  Skiing!!
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2014 at 4:42pm
Wow that avalanche... is just.... wow...

Day 13 for me was wednesday. overall a washout day... went up expecting powder... i got wind... so the upper mountain was on wind hold, it was to windy to hit the jumps, the rails in the lower mountain park are just about wicked... so... what did that leave me to do? practice switch, oh joy, i guess you can never get to good at riding switch... kind of a wasted trip but nonetheless... my board hit snow for more than 2 hours so in my book i count it as a day. 

oh, almost forgot the good news... ill be riding into at least late april! My #2 mountain (i get a heavy discount at.) extended to april 20th. The one i have a pass at... as of now closes april 7th. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2014 at 5:39pm
here are some other shots I've taken of the area.. these are from spring 2012

the main chute up toward the right in this one is where the above picture is ^ and the second part of the slide was basically from top left down to around the center, below the sun spot

and this is toward the top looking over that whole area... so basically this whole area slid, starting up high.  mega...

AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2014 at 5:42am
just wow man, that is really gnarly. glad you werent caught up in it.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2014 at 11:37am
Spenser, that is some wild stuff man!!

That crag still waiting to fall in the middle right is massive, hope nobody goes and temps it.

Was anyone around to witness it slide?  
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
capncone View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote capncone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2014 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by JDiggidy

Or to record it? I would love to see a video of that go.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2014 at 10:01am
Day 14 was yesterday. I will get over 20 this year! I'm determined! Anyways gorgeous day on spring snow. I was wearing a sweatshirt all day long! Met up with some friends rode some super creamy snow, ate shiz in the park as per usual, working on a 180 out off a box, having a hard time, cant get the rotation all the way around. I'm thinking i need more ollie. We'll see tomorrow! I'm pretty stoked about it. Also threw a 180 off a quarter pipe with a flat box on the lip. You guys probably wouldnt think much of it, but it was the cleanest and steeziest one ive ever thrown stoked about that too. Overall best day ive had in a long time! going back for moar tomorrow! Sorry no pics guys was having too much fun.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2014 at 10:05am
Originally posted by capncone

I wish.. that would have been a sight for sure.

I found out from the newspaper article that it was actually a couple friends of mine who were the last ones before the slide... apparently they finished their run and looked back to see it coming down.  with how popular that zone is (as far as backcountry goes), I'm somewhat surprised no one got caught.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2014 at 2:26pm
Spenser we need to have a serious conversation about terrain selection, I want you to be around for a while so I have someone to ride with up there.  

In other news, got back yesterday from baldface and it was probably the best trip ever in the history of snowboarding.  It nuked the entire time and the conditions were off the hook, especially the last two days.  

I didn't take many photos because I was trying to be cool, but the FrequencyTSJ crew was on top of it and I think a website write-up will be forthcoming.  TWS staff was there shralping up a big pile of 2015 powder boards, I was in cat 3 with a rad crew including the frequency staffers, the entire thing was a super-fun party (I'm told I bought a round of shots for the house haha) and everyone was stoked on the snow.  Made some new friends and ended the trip with a heavy moment at Craig's monument.  

Hopefully the freq blog post will be share-worthy and I'll post it up.  If you read the TWS powder board discussion, you'll want to keep in mind that not all of the riding occurred on the snow (although I'm pretty sure this part was not officially sanctioned by transworld) . . . .

-b
get bent
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2014 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by spenser

Originally posted by capncone

I wish.. that would have been a sight for sure.

I found out from the newspaper article that it was actually a couple friends of mine who were the last ones before the slide... apparently they finished their run and looked back to see it coming down.  with how popular that zone is (as far as backcountry goes), I'm somewhat surprised no one got caught.

Your pic just proves how something can be ridden once, twice, three times or more... but there's always the "last" run that can set it off.  Glad your friends weren't caught in it.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2014 at 11:21pm
yeah, it's a good reminder, especially since everyone was fine.  and bry, don't worry, I play it safe and take it easy, and am the opposite of the type who pushes anything.  for example, that slide has me thinking I won't even bother post-season splitting for the most part.  my skiff is calling, anyway.

in other news, day 48... got invited to employee ski day again and went this year... chairs spinning 3-6pm for employees only and a +1 if they want... first got handed a beer by my buddy who brought me, then the next run the lifty handed me a jello shot as I got on, and at the top someone put mardi gras beads around my neck and all the sudden I was holding a bottle of jameson, and then we hung around the keg from alaskan brewing on and off as we took buzzed runs on an empty mountain..... it was a fun one, and definitely nice to score one extra day, especially since they're weekends only in april.

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2014 at 9:19am
^^^ No reason to stop riding Spenser, just make the best decisions you can.  

Here's the frequencyTSJ write-up from my days 24-26:

Baldface Bliss: Three days of Kootenay Dreams at Freq Week 2014

I thought the story could have focused a little more on the dope-ness of my riding but hey . . . not bad haha

Looking forward to shredding Tahoe bc again now that it's good just as soon as I get out from under this pile on my desk . . . .

-b
get bent
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2014 at 1:25pm
Got another 2 feet over the last two days, bringing the storm total for the week to almost 4 feet.  Weird how sometimes we'll get a ton of snow but tahoe will get only a few inches...even mammoth, which is only 30 miles away from us, only got a couple inches from this last storm.  

Crispy cold, bluebird mornings and snowing after noon.  Snow was unusually fluffy and I felt kind of off balance at first, but got used to it.  Only 2 lifts are now running on weekdays, so there was a lot of hiking, but fresh tracks were worth it.

Didn't get many pics because I accidentally put the camera back in my pocket while it was still turned on (got a bunch pics and video of my pocket), draining the battery...and I forgot my charger.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2014 at 7:10pm
god damn that looks great
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Quote mbesp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2014 at 7:58pm
wow that looks so fun right now.
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2014 at 5:03pm
still hoping for several more days, the snow keeps coming but things warm up quickly.  It has been one of my best seasons, not sure how many days we have but it's the most in a couple years.  At least 50 maybe 60.  But some of the best days were had in BC, i enjoy CO snow but there is something about a little more dense snow that is just a little more fun to me.

Our trip into central BC

x_X
capncone View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote capncone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2014 at 2:31pm
Yummy yum that powder looks mighty fine everyone.

Day 33 for me (except when I go ride Mt. Hood a few times this summer :D). Went up to a local resort and the snow was wet and melty. I was really wishing I'd had a camber board because it was super washy, but it was still a cool day. Pretty much just messed around in the park with some friends, filmed a bunch. I fell hard right before lunch and re-injured my ribs that I had hurt a few weeks ago, so that's almost assuredly my last day of the season. Most resorts close next weekend, so it's not a big loss. I'm going to try and throw together a little edit this week and put it up.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2014 at 4:47pm
put together a quick video of some footage I had of Burton Knowbuddy Brandon Sorel from a couple weeks ago (almost all march 17, but there are two clips from the 18th too).  we were going to film more and make something longer, but the snow didn't quite come through again and the season is almost over, so I used what I had.  nothing super special, just some fun pow cruisin' and jumpin'.  brandon is super fun to ride with.  he's got a lot of talent, sick style, and he's quite humble and fun for anyone to hang with.  stoked he is here and fell into the right group of friends, haha.

anyway..

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2014 at 9:42am
Looking good boys.  inifinity was that revy?  And what cat operation, I want beta!

Day 27 for me (guess I'm claiming quality over quantity this season) was a saturday adventure at Mt. Tallac in south lake tahoe.  If I lived down there would probably shred this beast all the time but since it's a bit of a drive this was my first time down there.  Conditions were still holding from the big storms, with awesome consolidated north-facing pow, especially in the trees (probably has gotten hot since then, however).  Nice group of five with four splitboarders

Here are a few pics my friend cody shot with his dslr:

Attaining the ridge on the hike up, you can see the top in the far background

My wife and me spaced out hiking the top bowl to the saddle, emerald bay and cascade lake below us:

We completely shredded the top, these turns were way better than I anticipated

And our friend shane getting the goods a little lower

There were some worthy terrain features and chutes in the mid section that you could have a lot of fun with:

The trail access sucks, however, because there is a gated community that won't let you park and therefore a big ol' road hike was necessary to get to the trailhead.  And of course this time of year any lower areas are going to be ugly, and I spent a little time in the manzanita on the way out.  All bushwhacking problems aside we did what we had to do for a fun little day.  I remain hopeful there will be a few more good ones before this season is in the books.  

-b
get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2014 at 9:44am
awesome.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

^^^ No reason to stop riding Spenser, just make the best decisions you can.  

Here's the frequencyTSJ write-up from my days 24-26:

I thought the story could have focused a little more on the dope-ness of my riding but hey . . . not bad haha

Looking forward to shredding Tahoe bc again now that it's good just as soon as I get out from under this pile on my desk . . . .

-b

That is cool beyond words, big winner.  Wish they would have snapped a photo or two of you riding but hey, you got a couple photos in the article.

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2014 at 2:29pm
awesome trip, infiniti.  Don't know if it's just the lens, but your board either looks small for the conditions or you don't have you bindings set back...either way, looks like you were handling it o.k.

As usual, inspiring vid, spence.  Eaglecrest ftw...even without sun

Excellent photos, bry.  snow doesn't look bad at all, considering
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2014 at 3:45pm
Day 15 was last wednesday fun day, i definitely am getting better and better everyday. I'm getting more comfortable while popping off jumps, more poised on rails. Ive made so much progress this year.

Day 16 Today it was the last day that waterville was open so ill be at cannon until the 20th then im done. Good news is work stopped Wink so more time to ride. looking at wednesday friday sunday this week. thats a 4 day week! woohoo! bad news is got a pretty nasty coreshot today. ptexing it as i type.

close up of the shot.
top of the gouge
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2014 at 5:35pm
I could never get p-tex from candles to stay in a gouge for more than a couple days...it just cracks and chunks fall out.  Candles still have their place, but not in core shots, imo.

Ended up spending a little more on a p-tex iron (similar to a soldering iron) and some higher quality/denser p-tex strips from Tognar, the repairs from which are holding up a lot better.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2014 at 5:43pm
This thread is full of awesome pics.  Tahoe looks awesome bryman, read the frequency article. Awesome trip man.  Baldface seems awesome, JR talks it up as well. We rode revy and then Valhalla powder cats. Great terrain. 

Piranha, the snow was pretty heavy but i  was on a 155 I just mount it centered because I like to ride switch. 

The more I look on this thread the more I see what I miss!   No more resort riding!  Except Jackson and revy they're awesome. 

x_X
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2014 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Piranha

I could never get p-tex from candles to stay in a gouge for more than a couple days...it just cracks and chunks fall out.  Candles still have their place, but not in core shots, imo.

Ended up spending a little more on a p-tex iron (similar to a soldering iron) and some higher quality/denser p-tex strips from Tognar, the repairs from which are holding up a lot better.

yeah, im just trying to get through til the end of the season on it until i can get home from school to my tools that i have in the garage to base weld it. ive got a maximum of 8 days left on the snow. and thats if i go every chance i get. resorts close on the 20th, but i have class and such so i cant go everyday.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2014 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

i enjoy CO snow but there is something about a little more dense snow that is just a little more fun to me.

couldn't agree more on denser snow.  it may just be because I've lived in the far northwest all my life, but as cool as blower can be, I will take medium weight stuff all day every day over champagne.  shit, I might even rather ride mashed potatoes than blower.   call me crazy...
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2014 at 6:43am
nice thing about heavier snow is it provides a significantly better base, better coverage, and overall is much more stable.  Backcountry riding is a risk anywhere, but here avy's seem to be an every day occurance.  This is the first year I can remember where it seemed locations like central BC and washington were having the bigger and more dangerous slides.  They were talking locations that hadn't slid in 30 years up in revy.  

All in all, I appreciate CO greatly.  It doesn't rain in the winter (or very very rarely), there isn't really a "snow line" due to this.  But mountains tend to be fairly flat, with some exceptions, and the more I venture out, the more I really really hate TRAFFIC.  Hence why most of my days will be spent in WYO hence forth Smile
x_X
capncone View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote capncone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2014 at 7:54am
Originally posted by AJD13

Day 15 was last wednesday fun day, i definitely am getting better and better everyday. I'm getting more comfortable while popping off jumps, more poised on rails. Ive made so much progress this year.

Nice! It always feels so good to get better. What season is this for you?

Here's my little edit from Saturday. The riding isn't great, and the filming might give you a few seizures, but... Well I don't really know what. It was fun. Also if anyone has any tips for things they liked and didn't like in the editing of the video I'd appreciate it. I'm still just starting out with this and figuring out things I need if I want to make a decent edit. 

Also just realized that my edge re-cracked after going up on Saturday, so that's probably the end of that board :( At least it's the end of the season, and this just means I'll have to do some board shopping this summer! I'm thinking about grabbing a Slash ATV if I can find one.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2014 at 2:02pm
I heard there's an app that helps stabilize the rockiness in videos but no clue if it actually works.  As rocky was it was, it looks like you had a blast!
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2014 at 3:19pm
that video was fun!  one major difference is that you weren't filming with a gopro from 100 feet away, which renders the filming totally pointless... AND you didn't use a shitty song!  the video had a good fun vibe.

also, from a couple weeks ago.. Jeremy and I were featured on shred tunes with "the" local radio station.  one of our shop riders is also a local socialite and radio personality and she brings a lot of shred-related stuff to the scene.

check my weed socks brah! haha

capncone View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote capncone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2014 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

I heard there's an app that helps stabilize the rockiness in videos but no clue if it actually works.  As rocky was it was, it looks like you had a blast!

Oh yeah, didn't even think about stabilization. Definitely something to look into. I actually put together a makeshift pole mount for my camera out of an old ski pole, I'll have to try that out some next year.

Thanks for the advice Spenser! I'll be sure to put nothing but slow-mo shots set to Let the Bodies Hit the Floor next time.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2014 at 2:15pm
There is certainly no shortage of pow in Alaska...so jealous!  When does your season end?
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2014 at 7:29am
Day 17 was yesterday (wednesday) went to cannon... absolutely Sh*t conditions... the mountain was in the shadows of the clouds all day long and was icy as hell... Theyve let their parks deteriorate to pretty much nothing... the big one was even closed... Couldnt find a functioning jib to save my life. I miss waterville already. Cry Oh, and my equipment still hates me ripped my damn boot... hopefully some duct tape will do the trick for this last week, but the ptex held up nice heres some pics. 
heading up to my favorite run here, cannonball.
board shot for you guys.
looks like a damn hockey rink...
but, the view at the top was awesome!
my ripped boot... Angry
crappy pic, but heres how the ptex job looks after 1 day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>