Captain's Log 2014 (Rider's Log)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 5678>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain's Log 2014 (Rider's Log)
    Posted: Apr/10/2014 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

There is certainly no shortage of pow in Alaska...so jealous!  When does your season end?
that just happened to be taken on a snowy day, so that's not exactly true haha.

chairs always have their last go on the second weekend in april (this weekend) because of forest service land/insurance/lack of interest stuff... but we always have a buttload of snow. closing has absolutely nothing to do with amount of snow, because if it did, we would run a summer camp all the way into june every year no problem.

was about to go splitting today for a filming mission with mark rainery and sean fithian for their next webisode, but my car is being an asshole and it's not going to happen.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2014 at 9:30am
^^^ suck it up and find a solution spenser!

-b
get bent
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2014 at 8:41pm
^ That is awesome!

We see that over here at the beach with surfboards, would love to live close enough to snow to bike it each day.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2014 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Migoo

^ That is awesome!

We see that over here at the beach with surfboards, would love to live close enough to snow to bike it each day.

idk if id wanna bike to the snow tbh... it gets pretty freaking cold! ussually when i call it quits is when im soaking wet, bored with the terrain, or chilled to the bone. i dont see myself ever riding a bike snowboarding... ill enjoy the heat of my car. haha!
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2014 at 12:58pm
I'm pretty sure Spenser hikes up the mountain when the chairs stop.  

Whoa B, what's the distance to the slopes for you to be able to bike up?
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2014 at 1:47pm
^^^ AMY if you think that's a picture of me wearing oven mitts and a michigan football helmet snowboarding, then we're just not friends anymore!

-b
get bent
capncone View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote capncone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2014 at 3:52pm
My bike is my only transport here, so I rode out one morning during winter to meet up with some people and catch a ride to the mountain and absolutely ate shit on a little patch of ice on the road that I didn't see. Nothing serious, but I got some good bruises on my hand and knee. Lesson being biking during winter sucks.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2014 at 4:06pm
I know all about it.  I was trying to get to a place called hunter lake behind my house on Tuesday and determined there is still snow (and mud) in town when you get up to 8k feet

-b
get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2014 at 7:45pm
day 51 on the billygoat.  greatspring conditions.. rode some not-actually-that-thick hot pow in the morning with some patches later and had some awesome turns, and shredded all the airblaster hit runs most of the rest of the day.  pretty much an ideal spring day!  seriously though, I fackin' love the billygoat.  I don't really even understand it.

filmed a grip of clips with jerms and ryan, and planning on doing a little more tomorrow, for a closing weekend video.  some fun shots so far!  here are some screenshots... also filmed slush cup (I have never seen a bigger pond than the one we have every year) and will put together a highlight reel again.  not as many awesome falls this year, but still some good stuff.

jerms was getting some sick back 3 tails on a gully hip

ryan is the definition of airblaster.. I love this guy

me, body plant?

brought up the finger snowboard and did some park laps, hahah

jumped some ropes

slashed and surfed some hot pow

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2014 at 9:51am
^ good pics...that still looks like some damn good snow. 

Couple of days after the big dump we got a couple weeks ago, it got super hot and melted half the mtn bone dry.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2014 at 11:24am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

^^^ AMY if you think that's a picture of me wearing oven mitts and a michigan football helmet snowboarding, then we're just not friends anymore!

-b

My bad B, I thought you were starting a new hipster trend.  LOL

That finger snowboard thing is so cute!  LOL
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2014 at 5:45pm
Day 18, might get one or two more days... but im not pushing it... the mountain was pretty gross today... felt like i was pond skimming all day. But where there was snow it was nice and soft... tried to do a tamedog today... lol keyword there... tried... anyhow ill keep working on that one next year... its a pretty fun little trick.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2014 at 9:05am
closing weekend.. I'm in the brown, Jerms in the black/white, Ryan in the facemelting airblaster combo haha.  and yes there is a lot of snow, but that's not what our closings have to do with, unfortunately.

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2014 at 1:12pm
^well, that was entertaining...makes me wanna shred
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 2:29pm
wow, you guys do have a lot of snow left its ashame they don't stay open as long as they can... but i guess supply and demand conquers all.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 6:31pm
still 166" up top in bounds.. but hey, that's what splits are for!
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 8:58pm
nice vid...who was the artist>
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 10:06pm
"records, records, records" by the four sportsmen
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 8:17am
keep splitting! thats a lot of snow to be ridden!
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Spenser W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 9:58am
Well, Sierra at Tahoe closes this Sunday and I won't be able to make it.  Looks like my season will end at 6 days, by far the worse season I've had in probably 7 or 8 years.  Oh well, next year can only be better!
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 11:46pm
I am sitting on only 6 days myself so that puts me in your boat...between the Cali drought and new job, i.e. no time off the season didn't go as well as I would have hoped. .. already bought my pass for Mammoth next year so hoping to get one more trip in as there is reports of two storms at the end of the month that could produce real snow fall!
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2014 at 4:16pm
well, i elected to go home rather than board the next two days. i was feeling pretty home sick and needed to get back... so i packed up and headed home. seasons pretty much over unless i get offered/decide to hike tuckermans... that is definitely not a trip you do alone, and plus thats some pretty gnarly terrain for my skill level so we'll see. not saying i cant do it... but id be sh*ting my pants the entire run... 
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2014 at 5:55am
well closed the resort portion of the season out at abasin and beaver creek this weekend.  nothing like a thunderstorm and heavy rain on the last ride down.  might get a couple more sled access days this weekend then will probably store things up until next season.  all in all, my best year thus far.  will end up with about 60-65 days with excellent powder days all throughout.  in a couple more weeks wakeboarding and wetsuits take over...
hope everyone else's season went well!
x_X
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2014 at 9:50am
Originally posted by AJD13

well, i elected to go home rather than board the next two days. i was feeling pretty home sick and needed to get back... so i packed up and headed home. seasons pretty much over unless i get offered/decide to hike tuckermans... that is definitely not a trip you do alone, and plus thats some pretty gnarly terrain for my skill level so we'll see. not saying i cant do it... but id be sh*ting my pants the entire run... 

Tuckerman's looks like an absolute blast, would love to ride/party out there some day.  Get after it!

-b
get bent
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2014 at 1:38pm
Tucks is so much fun. I plan on getting out there mid May.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2014 at 1:48pm
I might get out there to do it. Depends whos driving, if i have to drive no way! i wanna party! Just bought some burton rulers... rather than staring at them for 9 months i probably should get out and hike it! I like them so far from walking around in the store... nice and tight around the ankles... yet my toes arent being mashed into my feet.
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 1:29am
Haven't been on here for a while but looking through the thread, its getting me pumped for New Zealand again this year! YEEWWWW~~~!
Have it booked for Early July with a guy from school that i didn't really have anything to do with, though he is a rad guy, and a bunch of his mates. First time going on a snow trip with a bunch of physically active guys, as my best friend is as uncoordinated C3P0 from star wars. 2 trips with him, japan and nz with over 20 days riding but he still couldn't get past the beginner slope..... It'll be a good turn around and hopefully it'll push my progression a lot more! 
Hoping to get better at switch and start killing jumps. Something I didn't quite get the hang of last year... 

Anyway, planning to do an edit for the trip. Hoping to get a lot more actual boarding recorded compared to last year. 

Can't seem to make the preview bigger? i hate embedding.
http://vimeo.com/92583271

If only Queensland had snow...
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 3:31pm
... enjoyed your video Koji! It reminded me of my trip to NZ. Had a blast there, stoked you get to go again. The bungy... I don't think people can grasp how gnarly that jump is from watching videos. Too bad Superpark is closed though. 

In regards to switch riding, if you have a close buddy that's still in the beginner slopes, every time you ride with him, just practice switch. That way, you progress and won't be impatient about waiting for your buddy. 

Its not fun unless its sketchy
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2014 at 8:57am
damn, Mammoth got 3.5 ft the past couple of days...someone better be on that
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2014 at 10:52am
Wow Koji, looks like you had a rad time in NZ!  

Mammoth can still hold out to last a little longer with that dump.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2014 at 12:14pm
I was supposed to go but had to call it because I am on call this weekend...wet the bed on this one as they got 40 inches on the top. Mammoth will be open through Memorial Day and the guru says more storms likely in May....classic Mammoth.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 11:57am
Originally posted by shwazy

I was supposed to go but had to call it because I am on call this weekend...wet the bed on this one as they got 40 inches on the top. Mammoth will be open through Memorial Day and the guru says more storms likely in May....classic Mammoth.

That's how Mammoth should have been during the season, but all I got during my Mammoth trip in Jan was nothing but dirt.  Y U tease me so, Mammoth?  Cry
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 12:26pm
Odd are in our favor that next year will be good.  This marks the third year in a row where Mammoth and Tahoe received below average snow fall.  Three years in a row is rare...four years is even rarer.  I think I remember reading that in the last 150 years it has only happened once...
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by shwazy

Odd are in our favor that next year will be good.  This marks the third year in a row where Mammoth and Tahoe received below average snow fall.  Three years in a row is rare...four years is even rarer.  I think I remember reading that in the last 150 years it has only happened once...

Taken by a friend of mine, this is how bad Mammoth is getting.  I heard next year will also be a hot winter as well in CA though.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 2:28pm
was that second photo actually taken before 2009?...not 2014.

Yes, winters are always relatively "hot" in CA...but el nino is also very wet
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2014 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Piranha

was that second photo actually taken before 2009?...not 2014.

There were no GoPro Hero's in 2009, so the second picture is likely post 2012 since one is a Hero 3(+?).  

x_X
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2014 at 8:22am
wow, cali is having a rough year.... i'm glad that NH had a good winter... I think something like 1/3 of my 18 days were 4 inch plus powder days so i'm pretty happy about that!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2014 at 12:04pm
The years are correct, the first in 2009 and second in 2014 since I also went around the same time as when those pictures were taken.  Yeah, CA had a bad year but at least other places are finally having a good one.  
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2014 at 1:20pm
this is true we were very due! but, the cali guys are still riding... so.... your their must have still been better.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2014 at 2:21pm
The local resorts in SoCal have been closed for awhile, it's just that the recent storm cloud rain gave Mammoth a nice dump so the NorCal resorts can still stay open so enjoy your season while you still can!  :)
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2014 at 7:10pm
read this for Mammoth in may : mammothweather.com

Smile
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 6:15am
Winter isn't quite over here yet, about 6-12" of new snow up at Vail Pass this last weekend.  Should provide some decent turns for awhile.  Temps were in the 20s and snow was light at the higher elevations.

JR and Katie driving the sled.

Getting some good turns.  Especially for the last weekend in April.
x_X
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 10:11am
For those getting snow, do you think the season will last a little longer since it had a late start?
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 10:40am
^^^ is that my boy scorer, I recognize that sled?  I thought he was supposed to have vacated the country by now!  Good work getting out there

-b
get bent
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 11:25am
@angry - we've been lucky to have a consistent season this year.  We typically have resorts open until the first week of June and the higher elevations can keep snow until July depending on the year.  It's all about what you want to ride, powder days are most likely over and it will just be slush.

@b

most definitely scorer.  the badass himself.  he is still in the area for a couple more days before he is a surf bum for a bit.  i live vicariously through him quite often.

I under dressed that day for sure, I imagine wind chills were sub zero at times.  Felt like winter and I dressed for spring.  Didn't want to let go of the handle bars or my hands would freeze.
x_X
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2014 at 5:28pm
wow nice pics! glad you got a late season dump! spring is just starting here.... we dont even have leaves on the trees yet.
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 11:24am
Part 1 of this Season Edit.... all the Fails and Bails. I'll post later when the edit for actually landed tricks is done. My friend did the edit so comment on youtube if you have any editing questions. Enjoy!

Its not fun unless its sketchy
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 3:05am
haha great montage. Some decent falls on that, Slow mo was dope! Used perfectly in my opinion.
If only Queensland had snow...
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 10:44am
some pretty nasty slams in there.  Not gonna say they suck, but it does appear the people in the vid aren't setting up properly for the jumps (snowboard addiction lessons are in order).  Gotta applaud your effort, though...I wouldn't have even tried most of that stuff
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 11:50am
since it was all of their bails, I have a feeling it misrepresents the riding slightly.  If all the falls I take were put into a video I'd look awful too, though that wouldn't be a misrepresentation...
x_X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>